wendy

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Matt Male

not knowing much about record labels n what not I was wondering if someone could be so kind as to explain why Mirwood tunes were issued on Jay Boy. Was this a 70s thing?

As i understood it JayBoy legally gained the licence to reissue Mirwood tunes in Britain in the same way that Contempo, Grapevine, Inferno and others did with other US labels in the 70s.

I think there might be some problem in that some of the JayBoy 45s are the remastered Simon Soussan recordings and not authentic Mirwood recordings. :thumbsup: Although i wouldn't like to stick out my neck and say for sure.

As for a 70s thing, there are Jayboy issues from the late 60s.

Matt

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

The Jayboy releases are the real deal, nothing to do with Sousann

As an aside, Contempo (and Contempo-Raries) also released Mirwood recordings, but after the Jay Boy releases.

Social source share

Has to be said that most - if not all - the Mirwood related Jay-boy reissues appear to have been dubbed from disc, not from the master tapes. However, the later Contempo releases were a lot better quality - think thay may have had direct dealings with Randy Wood/Fred Smith. And then in '75 Soussan got hold of those backing tracks............ :unsure:

Hippo.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!