Ghetto Soul, Southampton

Guest Bearsy

Just got home form Ghetto Soul Club in Southampton and im still buzzing :D what a brilliant night, music top notch and played by djs with a passion and belief, how fooking refreshing :( yes im something to do with the night but i got nothing but praise and admiration for all the djs to play what they beleived in and to see the venue still as busy as at the start of the night right to the end was testament to not only the music played but the vibe created by all that attended, play lists will follow tomorrow and beyond and hopefully thoe Soul Sourcers that attended can put an honest view of their night for all to see and hopefully this can be the night in the South of England that a must and will always stand out form the norm :rolleyes:

enough of my ramblings im off me tits :ohmy: nite nite :yes:

Bearsy and sort of marie (she aint been drinking etc) :thumbsup:

• Replies 23
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Good evening soulies...:yes:

I must start off by saying a massive thankyou to all that came and supported GHETTO SOUL last night...if it was'nt for you guys it would'nt happen...stars the lot of ya...:thumbsup:

I arrived at the venue about 3ish to meet up with Bearsy to set the dj equipment up...thanks Bearsy for your help(those speakers are a nightmere to get up the stairs)...the stair lift came in handy this morning lol...after setting up and chilling over a nice pint of best & fosters Bearsy was on his way to get ready for the evening...8pm soon arrived and it was time for me to get behind the decks and spin some soulful tunes(playlist to follow)...first to arrive was Kevin Kent & Pam one of are local soulies Nicki...by the end of my set a good few had came through the door....after me it was time for Bearsy to dig into his box and play those quality 45's of his...the place was filling up quite nicely and the atmosphere was starting to pump through...next up was Mr Smithers and he does what he always does and that is bang top choonage out one after another(mesage from Ruth she loved the funky stuff)...first class...It was then time for are first guest for the evening Mr Martin Adams...again the rare & underplayed ,were being delivered and keeping the dance floor busy...brill...Mr Gavin Night was up next to take us through to 12.50.am...and what can i say about this man apart from quality...i myself finished of with a few no's for the last ten mins and to say thanks to paying public for makeing Ghetto Soul another cracking night indeed...soulies from as far as Notinghamshire/Kent/Norwich/london/Newbury...the local areas Bournemouth/Poole/Portsmoth/Winchester/Southampton/Eastliegh came to support this event on the south coast...fantastic music fantastic ppl...all in one night...

THANK YOU...:lol:

The next instalment of Ghetto Soul will be on the sat 30th april...the guest dj's for the night we be Kev Hingham & Tony Castle...looking forward to this as both have quality tuneage...also Myself,Bearsy & Mr Smithers will be back behind the soulful wheels of steel...

Once again a massive thanks goes out to you all...

Alfie

Edited by alfie00soul

Ruth has asked me to put a post up for her regarding the advice that Tim Smithers gave her...as she is not a member on here...

in Ruths words...

after speaking to you Tim i took your advice and gave the music a chance as what was played last night was not the normal music i know & love...i founght that all i wanted to do was dance and enjoy what turned out to be a fantastic night of rare & underplyed. being spun by all the dj's and being in great company...thank you for your advice and i'm defo looking forward to the next instalment of Ghetto Soul on april 30th...hope to see you soon till then take it easy...

Ruth x

Well what can I say about this evening that hasn't already been said before.We got there around 8.45ish as Alfie was just ending his spot.

Bearsy up next with some tunes like The Volumes - You Got It Baby - Inferno and The Soul Survivors - Mama Soul - Atlantic.Couples of tunes which I have and never play out but which should be spun a little more often.Next up was Mr Smithers spot which had me & Dave Mortimore frantically writing down names & titles.

Martin Adams never fails to deliver some quality tunes from all eras.Didn't get chance to hear a lot of what Gavin played as we had to get home.

All in all a fantastic night of rare/underplayed soul that totally refreshed me.

If you want the same old,same old then this venue isn't for you,but,if you want to hear something different then this venue ticks all the boxes.Its a small venue and is more suited to listening and chewing the fat over records etc but a small dancefloor is there for those who want to have a shuffle.

Was also good to meet up with people we haven't seen for a while incl.Jason Desmond who's looking very well at the moment,Dave Abbott and Steve C.

Dave.

Well what can I say about this evening that hasn't already been said before.We got there around 8.45ish as Alfie was just ending his spot.

Bearsy up next with some tunes like The Volumes - You Got It Baby - Inferno and The Soul Survivors - Mama Soul - Atlantic.Couples of tunes which I have and never play out but which should be spun a little more often.Next up was Mr Smithers spot which had me & Dave Mortimore frantically writing down names & titles.

Martin Adams never fails to deliver some quality tunes from all eras.Didn't get chance to hear a lot of what Gavin played as we had to get home.

All in all a fantastic night of rare/underplayed soul that totally refreshed me.

If you want the same old,same old then this venue isn't for you,but,if you want to hear something different then this venue ticks all the boxes.Its a small venue and is more suited to listening and chewing the fat over records etc but a small dancefloor is there for those who want to have a shuffle.

Was also good to meet up with people we haven't seen for a while incl.Jason Desmond who's looking very well at the moment,Dave Abbott and Steve C.

Dave.

Hi Dave...

Glad You & Viv enjoyed the night...was good to see you both...thanx for your support and the write about the evening...

Catch up soon m8 till then take it easy...

Alfie

Just a quick thanks to all that made it a great night at Ghetto Soul from all parts of the country, Kev & Pam all the way from my hometown Gillingham, great to see you both and hope the 250 mile round trip was worth the effort hatsoff2.gif retrobates Dave A & Steve C, Sallie & Rod, Dave & Viv, Dave and Jan, Tony & Leslie Ann, Andy and Vanessa, local lad Steve, and another well done to Gavin and Martin for the greats sets they played, Mr Smithers doing what he just knows how to do and Alfie & Ruth for all the grief crap and aplause for making this night a success already hatsoff2.gif and all those i forgot, sorry but my brain aint in gear tonight huh.gif

anyway, my playlist from 8-50 to 9-50pm, in orderish i think

The Volumes - You got it baby

The Dynamics - Woman

E. G. Taylor - You made me mad

Mel Hueston - Double confusion

The Decisions - Do you love me

Gene Faith - My baby`s missing

The Soul Survivors - Mama Soul

Stu Gardner - Expressin my love

The Experts - My love is real

Roy Roberts Experience - You move me pt1

Freddie Watson - The unlucky seven

Kent Meade - Funky to me

The Vontastics - Let me down easy

Al Jones - Only love can save me know

The Promatics - Sugar pie honey

The New Yorkers - Dont want to be your fool

Art Benton - Sweet loving

Carlena Weaver - Jealousy

Lou Courtney - You can give you love to me

Clarence Murray - Lets get on with it

Wess & the Airedales - I`ll never turn my back on you

The Intentions - Im losin your love (request)

Richard Cook - Somebody got`a help me

Little Archie - All i have to do

i think that was the lot, i enjoyed them anyway biggrin.gif

hopefully the other djs will have theirs up too very very soon yes.gif

until next time hatsoff2.gif

Guest Dr Pickles

What a belter.

First heard this in the main room at Middleton.

Big dark room, in a little world of my own, out on the floor when Nick Hackett dropped this.

Hit me like a bolt out of the blue.

Top notch Bearsy thumbsup.gif

Doc

Edited by Dr Pickles
Guest GavKnight

As requested, here's my playlist from Ghetto Soul 2.

Mandells - How to love a woman

Wales Wallace - Talk a little louder

Joe Simon -When

Exsaveyons - I don't love you no more

Richard Brown - Don't listen to the grapevine

Lee Williams and the Cymbals - Lost love

Ebonies - You got what I want

Clovers - One more time

Danny White - Miss Fine Miss Fine

Sweethearts - Beauty is just skin deep

Spandells - Say no girl

Intertains - Need your love

Sensations - I won't be hurt

Grier Bros. - Weeping baby all the time

Avons - Since I met you baby

Charmels - Loving Material

Jeff Dale - Where do I go

Jackie Ross - Dynamite lovin'

De Vons - Someone to treat me (the way you use to)

Honey and the Bees - Why do you hurt the one who loves you

Johnny Daye - Good time

Chancellors - All the way from heaven

Fiestas - Think Smart

Shirley & Jessie - Ivory Tower

Jerms - I'm a teardrop

Buster Jones - Baby Boy

Thanks Alfie for inviting me over to GS2 to spin a few. Have to admit it was a bit daunting having the last spot - just glad not to have let the side down!

Looking forward to GS3!

Gav

. I think Jan & I approached this function with open minds, as we just didn't know exactly what we were going to receive on the night.

. We entered the venue with Bearsy behind the decks and within a couple of minutes we were drawn onto the dance floor. Stu Gardner - Expressin' my love being the trigger. Bearsy followed with a real nostalgic favourite of Jan's that will always have a strong attachment with times gone by at Bournemouth Railway Club, The Roy Roberts Experience - You move me. There were so many plays in Mr. Bear's set that floated our boat. Kent Meade - You're Funky, Vontastics - Let me down easy and The Promatics - Sugar pie honey to name just three.

. The other resident guest player, Tim Smithers then followed on with a set that had two halves. The first of which had a flavour of his recently reinvigorated passion for a brand of Funk Soul with a gutsy sharp edge. A similar type of soul to which I once experienced during the mid 80s in Brighton at The Zap Club, underneath the promenade and at another club, that also played alot of funk akin to James Brown, in a cellar off to the side and underneath a large pub named The Royal Escape, if my memory serves me right?

. His set's second half distinctly broke away from the funk theme with the introduction of a bone crunching RnB stomper in Curtis Smith - Living End. This was the cue to return back onto the dance floor with favourable plays such as Jimmy & Vella Cameron - Loving you is such a groove, Gene & Eunice - Give me soul lovin', West Coast Distribution - Girl I love you and Senator Jones - Call the sheriff.

. Guest player Martin Adams followed with a diverse set that ranged from medium paced soulful numbers in the like of The Tams - Take away, light toned Northern such as The Sweethearts - Beauty is just skin deep to types of funk based soul which had a softer edge compared to the earlier offerings from Mr. Smithers.

. For me, the most intriguing part of the night came during Gavin Knight's set. For within it were quite a few distinctive Northern Soul dancers that I couldn't quite fathom in my mind as to whether I really liked them or not?

. Sometimes I find that 'The proof in the pudding' comes when I actually get the feel of such beat music when moving around on the dance floor. However, whenever these plays came along, the likes of Dave Goldswain, Tony Castle, Sallie Reynolds and others would flood the floor space and dance with gusto. I'm afraid there was no room for me to truly check them out. Good time - Johnny Daye was a no brainer and other plays in The Jerms - I'm a teardrop and Jeff Dale - Where did I go were to my liking.

. I do hope Gavin puts up his play list, so that I can search some of them out and answer a few nagging questions.

. This in itself is the real beauty of an event such as Ghetto Soul. For the expanse of soul music is comparable to astronomy. You think you've seen all the stars in the heavens and then you get behind a powerful telescope and realize there is so much more to discover.

. I've stumbled across countless pieces of music in recent years that have stretched the boundaries of my tastes and yet I know there are many, many more I've yet to hear or truly gather in and appreciate, as in Gavin Knight's set.

. You could see in the bright contented look on our host's face, that Alfie was very pleased with the proceedings, as he presided over the last 3 or 4 plays to end the night.

. I think he has alot to smile about with a big year ahead of him at Southampton Soul Club and with his and Ruth's very big day on July 2nd.

. Thanks for a superb and well constructed night, Dave & Jan Mortimore

Dave.

Hi Dave & Viv good to see you both and glad you enjoy yourselfs and get playing that Soul survivors it needs to be heard :D see you on the 29th :hatsoff2:

What a belter.

First heard this in the main room at Middleton.

Big dark room, in a little world of my own, out on the floor when Nick Hackett dropped this.

Hit me like a bolt out of the blue.

Top notch Bearsy :D

Doc

Hi Chris, good init :D get yourselfs down to the next one if you can you will love it mate :thumbsup:

hope your both well and hopefully catch up somewhere soon :hatsoff2:

Joe Simon -When

Clovers - One more time

Spandells - Say no girl

Johnny Daye - Good time

Fiestas - Think Smart

Jerms - I'm a teardrop

Buster Jones - Baby Boy

Thanks Alfie for inviting me over to GS2 to spin a few. Have to admit it was a bit daunting having the last spot - just glad not to have let the side down!

Looking forward to GS3!

Gav

superb set Gav perfect finish to the night :hatsoff2:

Edited by Bearsy

Joe Simon -When

Clovers - One more time

Spandells - Say no girl

Johnny Daye - Good time

Fiestas - Think Smart

Jerms - I'm a teardrop

Buster Jones - Baby Boy

Looking forward to GS3!

Gav

Hi Gavin...

Cracking choons m8...you defo did not let the side down...thanx for coming along and spinning them soulful 45's of yours...:hatsoff2:

Catch up soon m8 till then take it easy...

Alfie

Guest Dave Mortimore

Bearsy up next with some tunes like The Volumes - You Got It Baby - Inferno and The Soul Survivors - Mama Soul - Atlantic.Couples of tunes which I have and never play out but which should be spun a little more often. Next up was Mr Smithers spot which had me & Dave Mortimore frantically writing down names & titles.

Dave.

. And you know why that is ? Don't you Mr. Morris ! Because our good friend Tim rarely supplies a playlist.

. I've heard so much from Mr. Smithers' record box on so many occasions over the past 5 years and yet still there are so many new plays I've got to get to grips with from that huge archive he must have. I think it's part of the mystique that will always surround him. I don't think any man or woman could ever fully understand the inner workings of his complex, still waters run deep, type of character ?

. Thankfully, Paul Bear and Gavin Knight are more of an open book with their play lists. hatsoff2.gif

. I look forward to checking out the one's that were new and struck a chord with my tastes for beat music with a Northern Soul flavour.

. Bearsy, expect a request list to come your way. I'm hoping for more of that type of music at the All-nighter in Bournemouth on Friday, February 29th. Looking at your playlist, I'm regretting not being early enough to catch the first part of your set. Same excuse for being late. A woman will always keep you waiting!

. Thanks to all those concerned with Ghetto Soul. Jan and I are still talking about it to this day. A sure sign of a night well spent, as the memories still linger on.

Edited by Dave Mortimore

. And you know why that is ? Don't you Mr. Morris ! Because our good friend Tim rarely supplies a playlist.

. I've heard so much from Mr. Smithers' record box on so many occasions over the past 5 years and yet still there are so many new plays I've got to get to grips with from that huge archive he must have. I think it's part of the mystique that will always surround him. I don't think any man or woman could ever fully understand the inner workings of his complex, still waters run deep, type of character ?

. Thankfully, Paul Bear and Gavin Knight are more of an open book with their play lists. hatsoff2.gif

. I look forward to checking out the one's that were new and struck a chord with my tastes for beat music with a Northern Soul flavour.

. Bearsy, expect a request list to come your way. I'm hoping for more of that type of music at the All-nighter in Bournemouth on Friday, February 29th. Looking at your playlist, I'm regretting not being early enough to catch the first part of your set. Same excuse for being late. A woman will always keep you waiting!

. Thanks to all those concerned with Ghetto Soul. Jan and I are still talking about it to this day. A sure sign of a night well spent, as the memories still linger on.

Dave,

Got to agree with you there about Tim.Also have now started to track down a few plays from the night.Thats how good I thought they were and the impression they left.

So come Feb 19th there should be a couple of them in my last set at the Uni for you.

The all-nighter by the way is friday Feb 25th not the 29th which this year doesn't exist as its not a leap year.laugh.gif:D

Request away Dave and i will see what i can do for the Allnighter thumbsup.gif on the 25th feb :D

ps, Tim does share he just dont shout them from the roof tops :lol:

Dave,

Got to agree with you there about Tim.Also have now started to track down a few plays from the night.Thats how good I thought they were and the impression they left.

So come Feb 19th there should be a couple of them in my last set at the Uni for you.

The all-nighter by the way is friday Feb 25th not the 29th which this year doesn't exist as its not a leap year.:D:lol:

thats the last time i put a play list up :hatsoff2: probably not mine anyway Dave :hatsoff2: seriously thats what its all about, hearing enjoying and sharing and thats the main aim of Ghetto Soul, bringing hopefuly something different to the decks and praying no rotten tomatoes get thrown at you and everyone goes home feeling they got their monies worth and was entertained hatsoff2.gif

btw, that Kent Meade is a great price snap it up thumbsup.gif

:thumbsup: First to arrive....and last to post. Oh well, send me to the naughty step!

Pam and I got there just a bit early as we were fed up watching tv on the worlds smallest screen in our room at the Brimar Guest House. We were warmly greeted by Alfie, plus Bearsy and Marie, and I had a pint forced upon me within seconds.

We don't normally travel down this way and I was a bit concerned how the night would pan out as I always think Southampton....Isle of Wight....Scooterists (I don't do scooters). As it happens, my preconceptions were totally unfounded and the night delivered exactly what it promised - underplayed/forgotten/rare.

It was refreshing to hear a few different tunes being played by guys without the pressure of filling the dancefloor. I was a bit concerned too about the size of the dancefloor too, particularly early on when Dave Mortimore was filling it solo with his out of control pinball routine. I needn't have worried though 'cos the night wasn't about filling the floor and there was room when I felt the need - which was quite often.

Musically, lots of tunes I didn't know, some I did, and some I have but hadn't had the opportunity of hearing played out nice and loud, so I was more than happy! Gavin Knight, who I hadn't heard play out before was man of the match for me but that's just a personal choice and any of the dj's could quite easily be someone else's preference. Fact is they all played some fine tuneage and complimented one another admirably. None of this "so and so's playing so I'll have a few smoke breaks" mularkey. I hardly disappeared for fear of missing something! So, well done guys for some fine spins, and to Alfie and Co too for choosing the right dj's for the job.

As an aside, Alfie showed me the main room for the Alldayer - awesome venue and HUGE floor. Coupled with this more intimate "alternative" room it promises to be something special. thumbsup.gif

Was Ghetto Soul worth the trip from Gillingham? Of course it was.....and Pam agreed so that's a bonus. Now all I've got to do is find a copy of the Grier Brothers before Bearsy. :lol:

:) - Kev.

Guest Dave Mortimore

Request away Dave and i will see what i can do for the Allnighter :thumbsup: on the 25th feb :)

ps, Tim does share he just dont shout them from the roof tops wink.gif

. I know what you're saying Bearsy. You are probably one of the priviledged few who get around to his place to sample his collection.

. He has been open and imparted information about whatever he's played on certain nights for my benefit. But sometimes I do get worn out on when I have to make multiple trips up to the decks and every now and then, on the umpteenth occasion, get received with an expression that says, 'He's here again!'

. I know that many people have only seen the tip of the iceberg when it comes to what music he has tucked away. He should publicise what he plays more often. You've obviously gained his trust. If you know what I mean!

. To his credit he did play 'Can't you see' as a request on Saturday. I know I like it, but I'm still trying to work it out. Yet again it has escaped my mind shortly after hearing it. I hope he plays it again soon.

Edited by Dave Mortimore

Source Advert