2011-06-10: Cleethorpes 6Ts Weekender

• Replies 146
  • Views 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Well what a weekend that was ...Sandi Sheldon..Derek Martin...and Noel McKoy...all quality.:thumbsup: ...nice to meet up with the Leek and Macc crowd, and our own special guests HOLLYWOOD AL and SHELIA who flew over from sunny and a lot warmer L.A. ..thanks to everyone who made them welcome,to say they were blown away by it all would be a understatement :thumbup: ..as my first Cleethorpes ,well worth the 3hrs traveling .....nice to meet Glyn and Ron with who we shared a caravan ...just waiting to hear from Mr.Jim Smirk to let me know how much deposit he wants for next years event......a big thanks to ADY CROASDELL....and also my navigator ROB BEARD from WREXHAM :hatsoff2: ..............see you all next year...:ohmy:

Thanks Ady and the team for making Saturday a special night, the acts were quality also the music a lot of friendly faces everyone was up for it, nice to see paul clark, howard (from up north), coopes gave me a big hug, nick and hannah, del and sian and the talcom powder girl, and the girl who hit me on the back, nearly had my adams apple out they were playing 2 darn soulful which i had on the back of my sweatshirt nice girl. im talking shit here so i better go, once again cheers billy :hatsoff2::hatsoff2:

Thought I`d pop up to Cleggy on Saturday night and see what all the fuss was about :hatsoff2: not bad ....not bad at all :thumbsup: may have to make a full weekend of it next year :g: great to see all the usual suspects and get to know a few new ones :thumbup: hope everyone i gave an invite to for my 50th there on the 20th August has put them away safe and sound :thumbsup:

Good Music all round :thumbup:

Great people ( well most of them :ohmy: )

Julie xx

I must have had a great weekend as my body feels like it's been through a mangle. Thanks to John, Paul and Helen for their great company, especially to Helen who kept us civilised, lol. Some very good music played, I especially enjoy the afternoons (when I get there that is after I drag myself up). Favourite record played was Butch's Martha Jean Love cover up Old Time Lover, but so many other great tunes. And finally thanks to Ady and his team, must take some organising; and all the DJs. Was nice to have a lift back to our Thorpe Park caravan Saturday morning, not sure how we'd have managed otherwise.

My first visit to Cleethorpes , just did the Saturday night & what a great night it was..

Both rooms were quality.

The live acts were superb ..

Thank you to Julie & Kev for picking me up, Sonia & Diddy for letting me stay ..

Alison fab company as ever .. Tabs you are a star & I hope those Banbury boys looked after you ..

Eddie, Tee , Sian & Del great to see you again..

The Newark boys & of course Linda always a pleasure ..

Stu we met at last & I'm sure our paths will cross again very soon..

Bearsy & Marie lovely to meet you too & I'll get my requests sorted for Bournemouth !!! ...

Sorry if I forgot anyone ..

Can't believe I lasted till after 6am , maybe I can do nighters .. lol ..

Loved it so will defo be back next year ..

Claire xxx

Guest Swish

I got home from this weekender today.

I must say I had the time of my life. It was one of the best weekends I ever had.

I met Richard Hunter and Christine Hunter from Birmingham, (and their sister Judy (and husband), who I had not seen for nearly 40 years!

It was fantastic to sit and talk to them again (and dance).

Christine is not only a great person to talk to, she's also a beautiful lady.

Richard's company was the greatest, and we spent many hours telling each other our life stories.

Kegsy, Charlie Reece and Paul Dunn, put me up in their caravan, refused any payment and made me as welcome as I could ever feel. Their company was also absolutely superb.

The weekender was superbly run by my old pal Aidy Croasdell. The records were top notch, the door and bar staff were nice and friendly and welcoming.

The final night had such an incredible atmosphere it took me back to when I was a teenager.

I enjoyed greatly the company of Lesley Walker (York but now Brighton), she just cheered me up and sorted me out when I was feeling a liitle out of sorts (you all know what I mean).

And Sue Brick's company was the business. I knew her ex-husband a long time ago. She's witty, clever, and funny and we bounced off each other. She got me up dancing (jiving) with her to You've been away (Rubin) and although I can't jive too well I absolutely loved it.

Great to see my life long friends Richard (and his brother John) and Jill Hillell, great conversations with them also.

Charlie and Dave mcgarell as well, not often both brothers are together at the same time.

The 3 southern lads Richy, Gary and Steve who were kind enough to give me a lift from Cleethorpes station to the weekender. (I never saw them again after that!!!). Glen and Judy Moss, and Sue Wilson, too, always kind and welcoming.

The fellows who invited all our caravan round to their caravan for a full English breakfast and tea and real ale beer!

I liked the Cambridge lass Sam who was in the opposite caravan and came in to listen to records with us all, and said she found men talking record talk sexy. She must have loved Kegsy, Charlie and Paul then cos that's nearly all they ever talk about! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Hearing Dearly Beloved near the end, which I so absolutely adore that as against thinkng "Ooooh I might have a dance to this" It was more like ""F>>>me, get me on that dance floor right now, if i have a heart attack, so bloody what!!!!"

Steve?, whom had a right box of British and sold me TOYS-CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF YOU BABY, on Stateside which i haven't owned or heard for well over 20 years (always reminds me of a girl from Halifax called Eddie whom I adored and haven't seen for over 30 years.

It's still a great record and should be played! Also I was delighted that Paul had never heard it AND liked it as his knowledge of records is absolutely immense.

Mick who asked me how my book was getting on.

saw Jinksy briefly as well, who used to give me lifts to nighters once upon a time and always played the greatest tapes in his car, (I especially remember him playing WALKING BY (Is it boss four?)

And everyone else who , combined, made the place an almost carbon copy of the way nighters were a long time ago, especially the gorgeous girls that dance so fast it's hard to believe it's possible!!!

If I've missed any of my pals off, please forgive me and give me a bollocking next time you see me!

I really regret now, all the years I've missed going to these events. I guess I had just forgotten how absolutely fantastic they are.

When I got on the train home today I had to fight hard not to yell my eyes out. Richard lives in Australia and won't be back for at least 2 years, Christine lives in USA, and we're all getting older and times running out and..........well, lots of reasons.

As soon as I got off the train and out of sight I cried good style, really strong, for about 5 minutes or so .

I'm so lucky that I found the scene all those years ago, and did, can, and will walk with and share the company of such brilliant and special people.

Guest Swish

Oh, and discovering Kegsy used to train spot in steam train days (as did Eric Smith from Leeds and Smig from Leicester) and myself.

We had a great night quizzing each other on train numbers and shed codesyes.gifyes.gifyes.gifyes.gifyes.gif

We've known each other nearly 40 years and never knew either of us train spotted .

Next year we are both going to bring our train spotting books and see who saw the most engines.smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

That wasn't all we talked about, honest.

Also we shall try and plan a night where we turn the lights off smoke cigarettes and listen to recordings of steam trains on the record player. When Smig comes up from Leicester that's what we do.

Although sometimes we watch the movie Brief Encounter as it's not only one of the most brilliant/tragic love stories ever made, it all takes place for the most part on a railway station with lots of trains in it (or train noises).

You lot who watch grand Prix..............................................you've never livedrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Guest topcatnumpty1

Now then Robert from the shop-------glad you enjoyed it --thought you would ,we.re in York in a couple of weeks ,will give you a bell and we,ll have a few beers with Mr.Walker

T.C

Swish writes

"Oh, and discovering Kegsy used to train spot in steam train days "

Be careful Robert old boy the "soul police" will remove us from

the site for being the wrong type type of anorak !!!!!!!!!!.

Great to see you this weekend and a top laugh all round.

Kegsy

all I will say is this

3 things stick in my mind and will effect me for the rest of my life

Daves teethe

Weston in his underpants

woody falling over in caravan

Dave and Woody with matching scabs is a memory I'll treasure :lol:

Friday, Saturday and Sunday nites might very well still be shining on my Tuesday morning face, but I have to say that that was the best ever Cleethorpes for me. And seeing how (like many of us) I've done every one then that's saying summat....

Great to welcome Captain Kearney back into the fold after a patchy few years Cleethorpes wise for my old mucker, top company from TJ and Clarkie in the 'no-food zone' otherwise known as our caravan, and our Wendy having a very touching little emotional moment on Saturday nite at her first ever Cleethorpes visit after being just fantastically overwhelmed by the spirit of the place....

A truly outstanding weekend, in the company of outstanding people.

Big, big thanks to Ady, as usual, for somehow pulling it all off again....

Aren't we such jammy bastards to have something like this in our lives at our age?!! :lol:

Edited by steve woomble
Guest Mrs Simsy

Does anyone else feel like they've been run over by a steamroller? Or that they've been subjected to some kind of top-secret medical experiment?

Review here

Photos here

:yes:

That was my 4th Cleggy and the best so far for me.:D

Arrived about 4pm and headed straight to the pub. First soul person spotted was In Town Mikey and he was swiftly followed by Weston and Dave Rimmer, The Cato's, The Banbury Boys and others that i've now forgotton.:lol:

Had fish and chips for tea and a few drinks before heading over to the do. It was REALLY good! DJs were great and there seemed to be loads of people milling about. Over extended (ahem) myself a bit and Ian was on another planet by 4am so reluctantly back to the van for a few hours sleep.

I fully intended to attend the Saturday afternoon session but after a bit of a natter and pottering about the van it was 10pm.:D Got ready and made it to the do by about 11.30pm. It was ROCKING!:yes: Again a full room and a really buzzing atmosphere. Not into live acts myself so we kidnapped Laura (from Crystal Palace Soul) and went back to the van to drink Pear Cider and chat about records and do's. Made it back to the venue at 1am.

Had a mosey upstairs and it looked like Natalie was having a great time.:D Threw myself round the floor and drank my body weight in vodka and all of a sudden it was 6am. It's like some kind of time warp at Cleggy!:thumbsup: Had ran out of cigerettes so 'nipped' back to the van and fell asleep.:no:

Sunday came around all too quickly. Was having a tidy and went to the bins to put the rubbish out and found myself kidnapped by Sian, Cat, Jane, Del, Jo Brock and Phil Shields.:lol: They made me tea and tried to feed me crisps so it wasn't too bad. Sian texted Simsy to demand a ransom and he offered seven Euros!:D

My partner in crime couldn't make it this year so i skipped the fancy dress although regretted it when i saw the Wacky Races and The Flinstones, not to mention Lottie Soulgirl who looked amazing!:D I'm already thinking of ideas for next year!

Big thanks to Ady for playing Soul Brothers Six-I'll Be Loving You for me & Ian...and then inviting the room to our wedding over the microphone!:thumbsup::lol:

Lasted until about 2am before we had to succumb to tiredness and fell into our beds.

Great to see so many friends, laughed myself silly all weekend. I won't name names...mainly because i'm struggling to function normally, never mind remember who i've seen and spoken to over 3 days!:lol:

See you in 2012!:D

P.S I've put photos up on FB.wink.gif

Edited by Mrs Simsy

Ian was on another planet by 4am so reluctantly back to the van for a few hours sleep.

They made me tea and tried to feed me crisps so it wasn't too bad. Sian texted Simsy to demand a ransom and he offered seven Euros!:D

I can neither confirm, discuss, or deny the above.:thumbsup: As for the rest of your posting, spot on Mrs! :thumbsup:

Great weekend at Cleethorpes, and good to be on the Beachcomber this year.

Had a real blast all weekend, the music, the people, top notch.

Big thanks to Ady & the team. Roll on Cleggstock 2012!

Well it was a whirlwind weekend for me that saw me driving up to London Heathrow to collect Ben (Mickey Moonshine) Cross and then over to Grantham to collect Steve Lehane then over to Cleethorpes.

We booked into the chalet and I must admit that Ady had pulled out all of the stops on the hospitality stakes to make Ben feel welcome and comfortable. Ben was intending to do a short half hour set that was of course built around his cover up hit "Name it" but there were going to be a few surprises and only Ady and Ben knew exactly what was going to be served up.

Ady was expectedly mega busy and I was left to settle Ben in and calm his nerves that where getting quite a worry, he was stating to sweat profusely and his behaviour was becoming slightly erratic.

Dave Rimmer appeared for a while with a handful of records for Ben to sign but Ben refused and Dave left or should I say "Stormed off!" A short while later a car battery was thrown through the chalets window narrowly missing Ben, he was visibly shaken up and I cannot be sure but I think I saw Dave Rimmer running off, where are CCTV when you need it!

It was time for Ben to go on and by now he was swearing and throwing things around calling Ady a F%^$$^&* and Dave Rimmer a Big S*&^%$%%£$ who takes ^%&*(*& it was now getting a little out of hand and the fruit basket that Ady had organised was now being used as missiles against passing by Soulies, I apologise to the lady hit with the pineapple rings!

For those who were let down in any way by Ben's refusal to perform, he wishes to apologise and he promises to be at the next 100 Club Allnighter.

Ben is also aware of how upset Dave Rimmer was and he said that he had never seen some one sob in such a way, Dave there will be a basket of fruit and bath products delivered to you very soon.

I had a ace time!

Fab weekend, thoroughly enjoyed, with a great mix of bang up for it folk, and of course it's always a pleasure to see our lovely European friends. Was also splendid to have a proper chat with some mates who usually only get the odd cursory poke on Facebook, you know who you are, lol :D

Even the lack of hot water in our caravan made for some amusement, with Pete Wid having to patiently stand in a cupboard pressing the pilot light button for the whole time whenever us girls wanted a shower, ha ha.

I thought the modern room had definitely moved up a few notches from last year, loved all of it especially Noel McKoy's afternoon PA, the Hampster/Tats combo, and the ace Woomble/Soul Sam finale :thumbsup: There's such a special atmosphere on Sunday night, unique to Cleethorpes. Not to mention the DJ dancing competition, which was the funniest thing I've seen in a very long time, pmsl.

Thanks to Ady & the team, my wonderful travelling companions, caravan mates, dancefloor buddies & partners in crime, the craic was fierce. Wid & Guy you make fabulous ladies' maids - if ever I need ankle straps fastened, zips zipped up or down, comfy shoes fetched or umbrellas held to save my hairdo, I know where to come :thumbsup:

Tee xx

P.S. Think I left a little silver slightly battered Fuji digital camera in the main room to the right of the stage just before 3am on Sunday night, so if anyone picked it up, please drop me a line, ta.

What a Belter of a weekender Ady . Welldone.

No easy task putting this together every year , you must be pleased ...

We couldn't believe how quickly the time had past .

The Thorpe Park experience was lovely and Leafy green and as you said not that far from the venue.

Hats off to Roger Banks for some great Northern sets , not to mention his Microphone commentary on your Sunday lunch progress (you made it back just in time ).

Must say you caught me off guard when you dragged me into that DJ / group leaders competition. Fox-trot , crawling , sliding musical chairs . Welldone Eddie H for getting the last chair and nice to meet you on the Sunday afternoon sessions..

All the rooms did their bit and were all to a high standard , just couldn't do them all (but tried)

Dave Halsal , hope you like the Fabulous Caprices mate, good to see you and Tina again .

Great weekender and we will be back again next year , not even the weather could spoil it ..

I have a nice wardrobe of weekend clothes smelling of l " Essence of Beachcomer Cafe " , great burgers !

Many thanks Frank and the Norwich crowd....(Ford Anglians ) The only way is up !

Edited by Bossfourpart1
Guest Ollie Lailey

Brilliant weekend! As usual never made the sunday night, but I would not have been much use to be honest. Tune of the weekend for me has got to be The Apollos - Soul Funktion Instrumental that Soul Sam played.....radio rental!

roll on next year!

Edited by Ollie Lailey

Whilst I got back to Belgium Monday late I've only just recovered today. Boy what a 3 days and nights this was. My first weekender ever, we all had a great time. Got see old acquaintances, make new friends and actually get to meet people who are on my Facebook The venue is so "English" it's just not true, a vast set of caravan parks, as far as the eye can see, fish and chips a plenty, the actual clubhouse/venue is just perfect. A long.........l...o...n...g.....bar, plenty of seating (for us oldtimers) great sound-system and a dance-floor to die for. thumbsup.gif

I have a confession to make, when I looked at the DJ line up I did fear an elongated R & B   l  100 Club thing but to my very, very, very pleasant surprise the music was 10000000000% Northern Soul, terrific. thumbsup.gif

The big shock of the weekend, apparently, was that Dave Rimmer didn't win the dancing competition. I understand that there had been for long time a feeling that his streamlined posture gave him an unfair advantage, Dave was suffering from a severe sore throat (he actually lost his voice on stage) that affected his backdrops. laugh.gif

When I left on Monday morning there were already people getting ready to book up

for next year, kinda says it all.............

Chris L thumbsup.gif

Hi all,

Cross post from Playlists thread..............here are my playlists for Cleethorpes modern room.............to the best of my ability through the slowly clearing haze of lager! :hatsoff2:

Friday 11:00 pm-12:00 am

Nicholas – Sunshine & Rain

West Coast Soulstars – Show Me Love

Helen Bruner & Terry Jones – Better

Heston – Greatest Lover

Kelly Price – And You Don't Stop (request)

Cool Million feat. Eugene Wilde – Back For More (request)

April Hill – The Search

Shuya Okino feat. Navasha Daya – Still In Love

Gregory Porter – 1960 What? (Opolopo Mix)

Richard Earnshaw feat. Erik Dillard & Roy Ayers – In Time

Candy Staton – Young Hearts Run Free (John Morales Remix)

Saturday 11:00 pm-12:00 am

Jill Scott feat. Anthony Hamilton – So In Love

Eric Benet feat. Eddie Levert – Paid

Jaheim – Ain't Leaving Without You

Brian Culbertson feat. Kenny Lattimore – Another Love

JD73 feat. Lana – Be Mine

Rasmus Faber feat. Emily McEwan – Ever After

Barbara Mendez – Got To Be In Love (Vocal Mix)

Louie Vega – Mozalounge (12" Mix)

Ziggy Funk feat. Taliwa – Everyday (Yass Classic Mix)

Mr Cee feat. Mind Games – Pain (Original Mix)

Hosanna Littlebird – Times Of Change (Temple Movement Club Mix)

Sunday 9:00 pm-11:00 pm (3+3 w/ Cliff Steele)

Bobby Womack – Tell Me Why

David Sea – Night After Night

Bill – Space Lady

Cheryl Berdell – Giving It All To You

Jan Jones – Independent Woman

Jeffrey Osbourne – Don't You Get So Mad

Ivan Matias – Somebody Knows How You Feel

C&C Music Factory – Share The Beat Of Love

Solo - Blowing My Mind

Shazz – Innerside (Universal Soul Mix)

Omar feat. Angie Stone – Be Thankful (Blaze's Shrine Remix)

Hardsoul feat. Ron Carroll – Back Together (Classic Main Mix)

Cheers,

Mark R

Edited by Mark R

I echo the thanks for the weekend to Ady and the team. Getting a bit fragile in my old age and lost most of Saturday with back pain after too much dancing Friday night in the main room, but after cooking everyone (except Clare who knows what I'm like) their coriander white wine turkey + rosemary potatos + mediterranean vegetables + sweet potatoes dinner in an oven that only cooked on one side whilst disadvantaged by my one-handed tequila technique - I was then allowed to go see the live acts and stay for Natalie's party

...where the music was excellent, she glowed, Cliff hired a floor in especially - and then nobody remembered to cut the huge princess castle cake that poor Trev had dragged across the UK and Thorpe Park to sneak there. Wandered back in daylight with whoever knew the way to whichever caravan we were in and said I was too tired to sleep. Woke up a few hours later to our usual huge breakfast and was told that our poor neighbours had to take Pete in for the night as we'd locked him out. Serves him right for heading back after 4am without a set of keys from any of us!

After overdosing on berry juice and proper coffee, I think I went into the venue a bit on Sunday afternoon to relax and check my work emails on my phone, whilst the quizz was on. I like to watch.

Hope to finally post my live act videos on you-tube this weekend,

m

Guest Drewes

Fab weekend, thoroughly enjoyed, with a great mix of bang up for it folk, and of course it's always a pleasure to see our lovely European friends. Was also splendid to have a proper chat with some mates who usually only get the odd cursory poke on Facebook, you know who you are, lol :(

Even the lack of hot water in our caravan made for some amusement, with Pete Wid having to patiently stand in a cupboard pressing the pilot light button for the whole time whenever us girls wanted a shower, ha ha.

I thought the modern room had definitely moved up a few notches from last year, loved all of it especially Noel McKoy's afternoon PA, the Hampster/Tats combo, and the ace Woomble/Soul Sam finale :lol: There's such a special atmosphere on Sunday night, unique to Cleethorpes. Not to mention the DJ dancing competition, which was the funniest thing I've seen in a very long time, pmsl.

Thanks to Ady & the team, my wonderful travelling companions, caravan mates, dancefloor buddies & partners in crime, the craic was fierce. Wid & Guy you make fabulous ladies' maids - if ever I need ankle straps fastened, zips zipped up or down, comfy shoes fetched or umbrellas held to save my hairdo, I know where to come :shades:

Tee xx

P.S. Think I left a little silver slightly battered Fuji digital camera in the main room to the right of the stage just before 3am on Sunday night, so if anyone picked it up, please drop me a line, ta.

You looked stunning as ever gorgeous. Fantastic weekend for me and Diddy with a great balance between some rare and underplayed oldies and modern to satisfy both our needs and fixes. Our accommodation didnt meet up to our expectations on the friday night but a number of friends offered alternative options ... thank you all. None of this detracted from a most brilliant weekend 20 mins up the road for me, to the point where even though I was dead on my feet on sunday, i still drove back for more.

Hopefully see you Sat Tee for further celebrations for a certain very special lady's birthday :D:D:hatsoff2:thumbsup.gif x

Only made it down at the last minute due to a mix up with annual leave, i'm so glad i did --- had a fantastic time! Haven't been for a few years, but the atmosphere was as wonderful as it was last time i was there. So thanks Ady for saving me a ticket.

The music was great in all 3 rooms. It was good to see old friends, and meet new ones...... it was nice meeting Colin Denham---on a wet and windswept country lane, who was soaking, i was going to let him dry off in my caravan but i was on pillowcases cos Rob and Diane had knicked all my towels!

Thanks to Ali for the lifts, and Tony for getting me back to my caravan SAFELY on sunday night ------you can't take me anywhere! :hatsoff2:Will deffo be back next year ----- loved it!

Donna

It was all over so quick :D

Friday with the Swedish crowd again on the train, straight into the pub and the meet and greets began...

We took along a Cleethorpes virgin, she had a great time, lost her cherry and will be back next year for sure...

Butch playing a flip side ??? underground was in the title of the artist????, shit for brains as ever...

Hearing "reach out " four tops played on Sunday night in the main hall, not danced to that record in many many moons, what a joy...

Nice vibe in the modern room the few times in popped in, same upstairs on Sat but did not get to spend much time there :( ..

Got to play a few tunes in the main room Saturday afternoon as Wales did a no show :hatsoff2: ...

Got a grip of Cannock Gary and he's got balls like a donkey :lol:

And then onto Monday morning... As i walked into the cafe, Angus with a big sausage in his mouth looked like a 70s porn flick..

Seeing the Hinkley hunks up close and not getting moist :D

Talking shite a plenty with Mr Sweet and many more on fag breaks..

Not a bad spot on Thorpe Park, i think my mobility act did the trick :yes:ph34r.gif

Had some sleep, a few good meals and plenty social...

Found the gents off the main room record bar for the 1st time in 12 years or more...

Talked promotions with a few folk, please get in touch regarding dates, i am know for being mr brains like shite :D ...

Good to see and talk with so many folk, had a few folk wondering what Lydia was doing with me, they thought she was the newly wed Hattie :lol::lol:

Had fun with my special needs sister Rowly and others who should be in care...

hugged all the Spanish boys too many times :lol: , always a pleasure to see that crowd, they really are what Cleethorpes is about for me..

A few faces missing but a few new ones taking their place...

See you in 2012, same place, same time...

Thanks to Ady and the promotions team for many years of Cleggy Joy....

Mucho respect..

Steve/ Lydia.. xxx

thx ady for another great weekend.just having my first pint since sunday.as i only got back to my real body yesterday(one day later then last year).modern room vast improvment ,hard one to call on best spot,but cliff steele sat afternoon was a blinder.roll on 212.

Guest oldsoulgit

The Macc And Winsford crowd had a brill time, Al and Sheila from L.A. were overwhelmed by the friendship shown to them by everyone they talked to, in their words they were blown away,

Just played the Noel McKoy C.D. Brighter Day, great singer, cheers Jim.

thx ady for another great weekend.just having my first pint since sunday.as i only got back to my real body yesterday(one day later then last year).modern room vast improvment ,hard one to call on best spot,but cliff steele sat afternoon was a blinder.roll on 212.

Ay up Veggie, I've found you on here !!! wave.gif Nice spending time with you & Trish thumbsup.gif

Ady & Co - this weekender was incredible, THE best one of recent times for me, Saturday night had that Sunday night vibe, just without the fancy dress, well, unless you're called Graham Harland laugh.gif. The atmosphere in all 3 rooms was electric & I was like a whirling dervish flitting between them. ALL the d.j's were outstanding and gave us punters what we wanted - music to dance our hearts out to !!

Thank you for a fantastic weekender, one that I shall treasure for a long long time hatsoff2.gif

Ali x

Guest Drewes

Ay up Veggie, I've found you on here !!! wave.gif Nice spending time with you & Trish thumbsup.gif

Ady & Co - this weekender was incredible, THE best one of recent times for me, Saturday night had that Sunday night vibe, just without the fancy dress, well, unless you're called Graham Harland laugh.gif. The atmosphere in all 3 rooms was electric & I was like a whirling dervish flitting between them. ALL the d.j's were outstanding and gave us punters what we wanted - music to dance our hearts out to !!

Thank you for a fantastic weekender, one that I shall treasure for a long long time hatsoff2.gif

Ali x

me too Ali ... the atmosphere was tremendous. Will defo be back next year !! x

Cleethorpes never fails to deliver and once again this year showed why, for me, it is the best weekender. The acts once again were simply great. Knew little of Noel, caught some of his PA in the Modern room Saturday afternoon , he was awesome and again at the night. To hear Derek belt out some of his classics and especially Flashback, stunning. Sandi singing "Standing In The Need Of Love", one of my all time favourites since the first time I heard it mid 80's was simply fantastic. Can't wait for next year already!!

Some photos of the acts can be seen on my flickr page, I haven't sorted them just uploaded most of them.

MY FLICKR PAGE HERE

Copied from Members Intros & Shouts Forum.......

Everyone knows that Nat is as mad as loon and a certifiable control nut, but she has a heart of gold, and has been (almost) forgiving of an out of control record buying habit, which is why I love her so much.

Thanks to everyone that made Nat's birthday night at Cleethorpes so special, and a very special thanks to Tef and Sharon for giving up their room (cheers Ady) and putting so much into making the night brilliant, you're both stars. Thanks to Kitch for the birthday banner and pics, and all of the DJs and Trev for the great tunes. thumbup.gif

Most of the night's fun has been slowly coming back in brilliant flashes made up of bubble machines, tiaras, Hayley's dance floor moves and Al Wilson.... photos up later.

Thanks........

Copied from Members Intros & Shouts Forum.......

Everyone knows that Nat is as mad as loon and a certifiable control nut, but she has a heart of gold, and has been (almost) forgiving of an out of control record buying habit, which is why I love her so much.

Thanks to everyone that made Nat's birthday night at Cleethorpes so special, and a very special thanks to Tef and Sharon for giving up their room (cheers Ady) and putting so much into making the night brilliant, you're both stars. Thanks to Kitch for the birthday banner and pics, and all of the DJs and Trev for the great tunes. :(

Most of the night's fun has been slowly coming back in brilliant flashes made up of bubble machines, tiaras, Hayley's dance floor moves and Al Wilson.... photos up later.

Thanks........

I've some photos from the party Cliff (I did lose some due to a corrupt card in the camera angry.gif) which I'll sort later and put up on flickr :D Great time had by all me thinks, some inspired choices from the DJ's.........not me I may add I missed my set as the acts were still on whistling.gif

Thanks to everyone for their encouraging comments. I think everyone felt it was one of the best, and was particularly appreciated by me as I'd not done as much as I should have with the promotion, the acts were excellent but not the biggest draw we've had there and the modern room had struggled, particularly on the Friday, the previous year.

Times are tough and we're an ageing clientele but the turn-out, enthusiasm and sheer buzz carried us all through a memorable weekend. Inevitably there were absentees, but these were more than made up for by returnees and new folks finally plucking up the courage to come and see what it was like. I do tell everyone that if they can only get out to a few events in a year, then this is the one to pick first because the music and vibe will keep you happy for quite a few weeks afterwards. I'm hopefully not one to over-blow my trumpet, but with Cleethorpes, I feel I can recommend it to soul fans of all persuasions. The same goes for Sunday nights soulful finale; it was funny to see Tats holding his head in his hands after it had finished, muttering, "I can't believe I've been coming here for 19 years and never been to a Sunday night before"; the poor lad was about beating himself up.

His and Sean's spots in the Modern Room certainly energised the place, but our usual trusty crew of DJs had already put it firmly back on the Modern Soul map with some splendid sessions before their big soul injection. The main room continued its resurgence of last year and the balance of old and new seemed about perfect; I didn't get complaints or grumpy looks from oldies or rare soul fans.

Throwing in a surprise card like Noel worked a treat and he was a pleasure to work with if any other promoters need his contacts, just ask. Derek was a live wire and by rehearsals I'd already realised he could add another 3 or 4 numbers to his set and still would of had the audience in the palm of his hand. Kendra/Sandi was utterly gracious, a dream to work with, one of the easiest most helpful artists I've ever encountered and true Northern Soul royalty, singing beautifully and giving us that all time favourite song live. The band were hot, all three acts came out of the dressing room before they'd even appeared on stage to dig Dave Lennox's organ playing on the opening 'Chicken Shack' number; a big compliment. When Victy sang that first beautiful line to Derek's 'You' Better Go' I had to sneak the hanky out.

I've enjoyed all your kind comments, they've helped me re-enter the real world from the strange Cleethorpes soul bubble I'd been in for some time. Swish's comments in particular made me drive out the half dozen miles to Kelmarsh's old half-deserted railway station where I began my Northern life, at 6am on a sunny Tuesday morning, and take in the beauty of the place and the scene that's been so good to me and for me for over a ridiculous 40 years now. The whole thing is of course symbiotic and it's so good on Sunday night in particular because everyone's made the effort to travel hundreds of miles, spend shed loads of money they probably can't afford, hammer their systems, dance their legs off and make the night and event one of the best experiences of our lives.

Over the top I know but that's how it feels and you really had to be there!

Ady

Edited by ady croasdell
Guest Swish

Thank you ADY for your very kind words.

I'm really glad that the brilliant time you created for all of us, created that nice time for you to go to Kelmarsh and enjoy those long forgotten memories.

In one short weekend it's all there

and I mean everything

The sounds, the friendship, the memories, the respect, the laughs, the love, the honour, the talk, the dancing, the gear, the beer,.

There it is,re-captured, in one place, for 3 short days.

There it is, plucked out of the past and encapsulated, just for a little while.

for 3 days we are all 17 again, and back in THE WHEEL, THE CATS, THE TORCH, THE LANTERN, or anywhere we want to be.

We are us, again, and no one knows it but us, not anyone, not anyone anywhere, its us and only us.

Our non-soul friends and relatives may be real pleased we have all had a nice time, but not only will they never know what OUR nice time really is, they will also never know, how devastating it is when its all been and gone

Their friends aren't gone for another year or maybe, some, forever

THAT'S the hard part.

I'd never change it though. It lies deep within us, and soul and circumstance and fate created lives and times that were/are unsurpassable.

Much love to all

Swish

Sorry am late, but just to say this was my first Cleethorpes and I have to say it is the best weekender I have been to.:rolleyes: I absolutely loved it, the only dampener was the weather on the Sunday. I loved the live acts with in particular Derek Martin. Derek's classic "I want to make love to all women" :lol:

The music was superb throughout and good fun to be had by all :thumbsup:

ps we are all booking back up for 2012

Suz

x

Edited by suzannek

I did my level best to get to this-seeing as i relocated to Scunny last year it was an obvious one to go to...I rolled in about 9 o'clock on the Saturday night and braving a really bad leg held down by painkillers (I wasn't on crutches but somebody was and his enthusiasm was no less dampened) and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't really do modern so I can't comment but 6Ts alwasy hits the spot. All of the acts were astounding, their commitment and energy was awesome and the sound engineer for the live performances got it just right for them-only slight downside was the sound system becasue a few records it took a while for me to get what they were for the djs-anyone else think the same? All said and done I will do the full 3 days next year and every 6Ts that I can get to .