Info On Greer Brothers

Tommy1

I am working on an article about this song, and trough my search I can only find info on Alex Larottas great blogg; https://www.imshakin.com/2009/11/05/the-greer-brothers-we-dont-dig-no-busing-the-busing-song-duke-1973/comment-page-1/#comment-347

Is there anyone else who got more info on this?

Like:

Are the Greer Brothers really brothers?

Was it the boys' own initiative to make the tune and to get i

recorded, or was it the record company's? Or somebody else?

Was it a particular event that caused the making of the tune/recording

in 1972/1973 - and not earlier/later? I know the story behind the busing, just wonder why this song was recorded exactly in 1972/73?

It seems on the label that Deadric Malone is the text-author? Is that

correct and who is he and why did he write the song?

What kind of reactions did the record get when it was released? Did it

make a debate? Was it a big hit? Was people/politicians angry/happy

about it?

Did someone "use" the Greer Brothers/the tune politically in

some ways? Political parties, organizations...?

Did the record get any reviews - and is it/are they somehow available?

Does it exist any photos / movierecordings of the Greer brothers from

the 1970s (or later)?

Is it possible to recall how many copies was pressed? And how many was sold?

Is the record released in 1972 or 1973? (My copy has a stamp that says

March 28 1972)

Does anyone got the lyric sheet that came with some of the copies, need a scan of it.

All kind of info will be appreciated! :rolleyes:

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

i have a great modern record by the greer brothers from like '79, exact same group. never ever turns up. the duke record does turn up. there were other bussing records, for example, the chilites "yes I'm ready if I don't get to go".

Hi Boba, thanks a lot! I would love to hear that other record, I was told they only made "the busing song". And also interested to hear of other 'bussing records', didn't think of that, thanks again! :thumbsup::yes:

Social source share

• 6 years later...
Guest sapper

If I had only found this forum a couple days ago.  I actually met a man named Dennis Greer, who claimed to be one of the lead singers of The Greer Brothers. He explained to me how him and his brothers made instruments from scrap wood and later their father bought them real ones that they learned to play.  He had a typed paper with him and I will quote the text verbatim, ""We released our first record in 1973 titled "We don't dig no busing". The platform of our record release pertained to a nationwide political issue regarding zoning, redistricting, and the struggle for equal education". He went on to state that they met with Nixon regarding the issue. They are from Houston, Texas and still live there.  I am pretty sure he is on social media so you might ask him directly.  He seemed like he was still active in the community and might dig that kinda thing.  Like I said, wish I woulda seen this a couple days ago, I could had some questions for him.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!