News: 5 New Kent 45s out 31st Jan 2011

Looking good Ady, can't wait for these little beauties, always of the highest sound quality and look good too, anyone who has not hooked themselves up with previous releases might be advised to do so, just look down the list of releases and you will find some stunning quality tuneage, legit and wonderful, keep em' coming Ady.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

If January 2011 is an indication of just what sort of year soul release wise 2011 is going to be, then we are in for a treat!

Kent have just stepped into the limelight with news of their new batch of 5 x 45s, 3 on the limited edition imprint City and Two on the town one.

You may have read on the forums or indeed heard some of the City 45s out and about via regular soul source members, if haven't am sure that when you do you will join the band of anticapting soul fans!

Words from Ady...

NEW BATCH OF 5 KENT 45S RELEASED 31ST JAN 2011

KENT CITY

SPENCER WIGGINS

I'M AT THE BREAKING POINT / MAKE ME YOURS

CITY 017

At last the biggest Crossover record of the past decade, Spencer Wiggins 'I'm At The Breaking Point' is available on vinyl. A recent master tape discovery from the famed Fame studios, it is coupled with a stunning update of Bettye Swann's soul classic 'Make Me Yours'. This is a taster of the Fame wonders which Ace will issue in 2011.

WILLIE BOLLINGER/WILLIE WALKER

I WON'T HAVE TO CRY NO MORE / RUN AROUND

CITY 018

The Willies (Bollinger and Walker) cut classic southern soul for Sound Of Memphis productions, though inexplicably few were issued at the time. These two sides have picked up a lot of modern soul plays from acetates and carvers in recent months and the limited edition press is sure to sell out fast.

Download attachment: Larry Banks acetate-400.png

LARRY BANKS / BOBBY PENN

OOH IT HURTS ME / WITHOUT YOUR LOVE

CITY 019

'Ooh It Hurts Me', aka 'Sweet Baby' as released by Al Gardner, gained a huge following when the Metros RCA cover of it was discovered by Kent in the 90s. This is the original recording by the song's creator; the musical genius Larry Banks. Flip it over for the best version of his own composition 'Without Your Love' which was released as an LP track by the Hesitations, covered exquisitely by the Shaladons but given extra added punch by the unknown Bobby Penn.

NB All the Kent Select singles with the City catalogue number are limited presses and several are sold out and deleted already; so don't hang about.

Download attachment: rudy love400.jpg

RUDY LOVE AND THE COMPANY/PERCY MILEM

SUFFERING WRATH - CALL ON ME

TOWN 139

Northern's gone funky in recent years and here's the track probably more responsible than any for the conversion. 'Suffering Wrath' is a tough title for a dirty, mean, belter of a song: beware.

Percy Milem's 'Call On Me' has been admired for decades by the soul cognoscenti but is about to take off big-time. It's just been featured in the recently released Northern Soul film "Soul Boy" and sounds perfect among the Wigan stompers; even if it never actually got spun there.

Download attachment: ravins400.jpg

THE ANTELLECTS / THE RAVINS

LOVE SLAVE /YOUR LOVE IS WHAT I WANT

TOWN 140

We were tempted to put the stunningly rare combination of the Antellects and Ravins only known singles onto the Kent Select label. However they were actually issued at the time of their recording, even if there are less than ten of the former and possibly only two of the latter. Snap them up sharpish , before they dissolve into the ether once more.

Still available

CITY 005

The Two Of Us

Danny Cobus

CITY 005

You Won't Miss The Water

Chico & Buddy

CITY 007

Mata Hari

Chet "Poison" Ivey

CITY 007

Oh Baby Don't You Weep

Luther Ingram

CITY 008

I'm Gonna Start A War

Barbara & The Browns

CITY 008

Loving By The Pound

Otis Redding

CITY 009

Gone With The Wind Is My Love

Rita and the Tiaras

CITY 009

Gone With The Wind Is My Love

The Dore Strings

CITY 010

Lean Lanky Daddy

Little Ann

CITY 010

Who Are You Trying To Fool

Dave Hamilton Orchestra

CITY 011

Country Girl aka Home At Last

Little Willie John

CITY 011

(I Need) Someone

Little Willie John

CITY 012

Let's Talk It Over

Spencer Wiggins

CITY 012

Love Attack

Spencer Wiggins

CITY 013

Changes

Lilly Fields

CITY 013

We Can Do It

The Shaladons

CITY 014

What'cha Gonna Do

Phillip & The Faithfuls

CITY 014

Until The End Of Time

The Additions

CITY 015

A Man Is A Mean Thing

Barbara Perry

CITY 015

I've Got a Feeling For You Baby

Gladys Bruce

CITY 016

Hang On In There Girl

The Jesse Davis Band

CITY 016

Hang On In There Girl

Jesse Davis

TOWN 113

Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right

The Mayberry Movement

TOWN 113

Don't Send Nobody Else

Millie Jackson

TOWN 114

Baby Without You

Danny Monday

TOWN 114

I've Been Hurt So Many Times

Larry Davis

TOWN 115

The Streets Got My Lady

Bill Brandon

TOWN 115

Tin Man

John Edwards

TOWN 116

You Got Me Turned Around

O C Tolbert

TOWN 116

Challenge My Love

Tobi Lark

TOWN 118

I'm The Man

Albert Washington

TOWN 118

The Well's Gone Dry

Dorothy Williams

TOWN 119

The Magic Touch

Melba Moore

TOWN 119

Bricks, Broken Bottles And Sticks

Dean Parrish

TOWN 120

Talkin' About My Baby

Dottie & Millie

TOWN 120

Happiness Is Here

Tobi Lark

TOWN 121

What Should I Do

Little Ann

TOWN 121

Who Are You Trying To Fool

Little Ann

TOWN 122

Gonna Wait For You

The Pentagons

TOWN 122

Do Yourself A Favor

The Themes

TOWN 123

I Can't Get Away

Bobby Garrett

TOWN 123

Is She In Your Town?

Curtis Lee

TOWN 124

Come Through Me

Garland Green

TOWN 124

House For Sale

Millie Jackson

TOWN 125

Ain't No Telling

Houston Outlaws

TOWN 125

Yes I'm In Love

Unique Blend

TOWN 126

Too Darn Soulful

Morris Chestnut

TOWN 126

Handwriting On The Wall

Bobby Wisdom

TOWN 127

Cards On The Table

The Diplomats

TOWN 127

Strange Neighborhood

The Imaginations

TOWN 128

Shadow Of A Memory

Minnie Jones

TOWN 128

How Does It Grab You

The Primers

TOWN 129

Have Faith In Me

Sugar & Spices

TOWN 129

Three Lonely Guys

The Brilliant Korners

TOWN 130

If That Don't Turn You On

Millie Jackson

TOWN 130

You Can't Stand The Thought Of Another Man Loving Me

Millie Jackson

TOWN 131

Too Much For You

Bobby Angelle

TOWN 131

Try My Love

Toni & The Showmen

TOWN 132

He Broke Your Game Wide Open

Frank Dell

TOWN 132

I Idolize You

The Charmaines

TOWN 133

Sh'Mon

Mr Dynamite

TOWN 133

Elijah Rockin' With Soul

Hank Jacobs

TOWN 134

Nothing In This World

Dottie & Millie

TOWN 134

Sweep It Out In The Shed

Tobi Lark

TOWN 135

I'll Never Stop Loving You

Carla Thomas

TOWN 135

Tell Me, Baby

Karmello Brooks

TOWN 136

Wear Your Natural, Baby

Towana & the Total Destruction

TOWN 136

You Really Made It Good To Me

Ty Karim

TOWN 137

Come Out Of The Sandbox

Mary Love Comer

TOWN 137

Is This The Way To Treat A Girl (You Bet It Is)

The Hesitations

TOWN 138

Make Up Your Mind

The San Francisco TKOs

TOWN 138

A Man Of My Word

Salt & Pepper

Wholesale enquiries welcomed: phil.stoker@acerecords.com

Click here to view the article

What the availability of TOWN 111 Shooting High O C Tolbert?

John

Social source share

What the availability of TOWN 111 Shooting High O C Tolbert?

John

Sorry I couldn't resist the flippant reply.

It's been deleted a long time with no plans for a re-press, though it is a brilliant single which is yet to have its day, methinks.

We're just working on an OC Smith CD now we've found a bunch of new old master tapes. It should be a great comp.

Social source share

Cracking stuff Ady, i will be ordering for myself and the shops as well, so anyone in belfast, bristol or leamington spa can do the old fashioned thing and buy em across the counter biggrin.gif

where is your shop in leamington, geoff?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

We're just working on an OC Smith CD now we've found a bunch of new old master tapes. It should be a great comp.

Presumably you won't be including any tracks by O C Tolbert, though...laugh.gif

Social source share

Fantastic Releases As Usual Also

The Tiaras-Surprise-op art

Ghetto Boys-Handwritten On The Wall-Tarx

Would Be Awesome To Have And Not Forgetting Arthur Willis The Hurting Is Over Rarity !!!

Social source share

Ooh Ady, what can I say just woke up and these little beauties were on the carpet, yes we had them delivered on a Sunday along with another four little packets from Stateside, how I got them on a Sunday is a bloody mystrey but what a way to start the day, these 45's are a must have, sound good, look good and by golly they do you good, Larry Banks how good is that, Wille Bollinger b/w Willie Walker proving two Willies are better than one is just sublime, Spencer Wiggins oh my soul just wonderful, Antellects b/w Ravins well this will be sold out within days just how rare do you want it now we can all own these two hard to finds, Rudy Love & The Company b/w Percy Milem helped cement just the perfect way to start my Sunday, not to mention the mint Donald Height - Talk Of The Grapevine - Shout Demo and one or two others that have just been checked and played on the 1210, Ady has hit the spot yet again with this batch of soulful magic, top tuneage,legit, well packaged, classy put out by certainly one of the classiest acts on the soul scene, Ady does it again no question, sorry must dash to play them again just to confirm how good they are lol.

Regards - Mark Bicknell

post-1475-0-10028300-1295785445_thumb.jp

post-1475-0-51868500-1295785469_thumb.jp

post-1475-0-12494300-1295785577_thumb.jp

post-1475-0-11892800-1295785604_thumb.jp

post-1475-0-50279800-1295785643_thumb.jp

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

When is the Candi Staton track getting a release chaps??Don`t be shy you gotta get that on vinyl :rolleyes:

It was originally supposed to be out in September of last year , but there's been a minor contractual thing on Candi's Fame sides that has taken a while to get 100% sorted.

It's now rectified,and that will allow us to release it sometime during the next few months on CD and hopefully on vinyl in due course.

That's the reason why only a couple of DJs have got it on CDr - we really didn't want it to be played everywhere, and not be able to back up its popularity with a firm release date. Truth is that they got a bit lucky - had we known that there was going to be a small hump to get over, we wouldn't have let it out - to anyone! - as early as we did...

...But 'soon come', in any event! thumbup.gif

Social source share

They were shipped yesterday so should be in the shops by today or tomorrow.

If anyone is desperate and needs to grab a copy or two at the 100 Club nighter, email me.

Ady

:thumbsup:

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Bit late in getting these, but all landed safely on my doormat this morning, along with some of the recent Hit & Run 45's and some good priced nice original 45's too, so a superb end to the day listening to these a few times over!yes.gif

Thanks for the original post and good to read other comments on these too, even if the separate thread on the Hit & Runs got as bit heated here and there!

Cheers,

Steve

hatsoff2.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!