Skip Jackson - Any Similar-Sounding 45S Around?!?

Mattfox

hi y'all,

I really luv:

Skip Jackson & The Shantons - I'm On To You Girl (Dot-Mar)

just wondering if there are any similar-sounding 45s around?!? cos this one got a special groove, that's a bit different to most of the x-over 45s I know...imo!

thx in advance for your help!

cheers, m.

Edited by mattfox
Social source share

Guest Brett F

Hi Matt, take a look in the crossover thread in the audio section, packed full of great tunes. Hope your well.

Ps.I played Skip, when we djayed in Hamburg.

Brett

Social source share

hi y'all,

I really luv:

Skip Jackson & The Shantons - I'm On To You Girl (Dot-Mar)

just wondering if there are any similar-sounding 45s around?!? cos this one got a special groove, that's a bit different to most of the x-over 45s I know...imo!

thx in advance for your help!

cheers, m.

Pricey but brilliant Women like it harder ! Milton Parker

Social source share

What Price by Nathan Williams on Lime records ?

Im confused Brett ...i though Matt was asking for similiar tunes that sounded like Skip Jackson??

Nathan Williams is without a doubt a great crossover record ,but sounds nothing like S J imho smile.gif

Hopefully catch you next week if we both manage to get to S.O.N thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Hi Nev, was meaning Nat Williams was similar to Matt Brow., that Matt posted....so pay attention.....,LOL.. yeah mate, I'm trying for SON..depending on lift, only going if I can come straight back home...I need my own bed nowadays.

Brett

Social source share

Hi Nev, was meaning Nat Williams was similar to Matt Brow., that Matt posted....so pay attention.....,LOL.. yeah mate, I'm trying for SON..depending on lift, only going if I can come straight back home...I need my own bed nowadays.

Brett

Doh..!

No worries Brett..i was'nt offering my bed to you ..don't think Jo would appreciate it ..especially after her comment at Leicester to you laugh.gif

Social source share

Wouldn't know how Rupes.

Just play Skip Jackson... it sounds like that... but with different words :D.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Hi Sean .. ...i cant believe you havent mastered the art of uploading sounds from vinyl to pc :wave:

Like someone once once said to me regarding bricklaying ....." you can teach a monkey to do that" :D

Social source share

Frog down, huh!

Seems to me that I'm only about as good at transferring records to PC format as you are at laying bricks, mate! :D

:thumbsup:

Sean

Lol....a monkey can lay bricks frog up Sean, that's the easy way.

Don't think they even make em with frogs in anymore ,for obvious reasons....people laying em frog up,using too much muck...costing firms, so they had to go !

Shame cos they were nice and light in the hod :wave:

Social source share

Lol....a monkey can lay bricks frog up Sean, that's the easy way.

Don't think they even make em with frogs in anymore ,for obvious reasons....people laying em frog up,using too much muck...costing firms, so they had to go !

Shame cos they were nice and light in the hod :thumbsup:

I'm 'old school' Nev.

British Standard Codes of Practice BS 5628 -3 The Use of Masonry and BS 8000-3 Workmanship on Building Sites state that "Unless otherwise advised, always lay single frog bricks with frog uppermost and double frogged with deeper frog uppermost.

And them old blue Engineering Bricks, back in the day, weren't lighter in the Hod mate, believe me... :wave:

Anyway, all that said, I'm not uploading me acetate so bugger off.

:D

Sean

Social source share

Guest Brett F

OK Sean. Agree to disagree and no probs on the sound file.

Back on track with the music and one that you put me onto,that i never realised existed?

The Bobby Burn on J M's auction looks stunning :huh:

Hi Nev, I remember when me and Sean played at the first EMS dayer about 4 years back, I saw a Bobby Burn on eBay the same week, I told Sean excitedly about it, he listened intently, then just leaned towards his record box and produced his copy to show me..LOL..

. Ps that went for 4 figure US dollars...

Social source share

Hi Nev, I remember when me and Sean played at the first EMS dayer about 4 years back, I saw a Bobby Burn on eBay the same week, I told Sean excitedly about it, he listened intently, then just leaned towards his record box and produced his copy to show me..LOL..

. Ps that went for 4 figure US dollars...

The gamble copy fetched more than four figures on ebay late last yr in $$$ :huh:

Social source share

In terms of similar-sounding records it might be worth looking into The Impressions catalogue as they genuinely invented this type of bouncy harmony dance soul with "Little Young Lover" in 1961-2 and continued to make records in this vein throughout their career. From the Skip Jackson timeframe a great one is "Wherever She Leadeth Me" on Curtom.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!