Pitching For The Floor

Kevinkent

Mods - please feel free to move this if required.

I've just had a couple of tunes delivered and tried pitching them up during test plays.......

MERCY - Willie Mitchell ( old club tune I'd completely forgotten about!). Pitched it at +10% and sounded not bad to my ears.

DEED I DO - Mel Carter. Pitched this at +6% and thought it more suited to the floor.

I don't generally pitch tunes up (or down) but having been recommended some years ago, by a well known name, to pitch up BROTHERS OF SOUL - Hurry, Don't Linger, that became an exception amongst my plays.

I know that the Belgian Popcorn dj's regularly adjusts pitch on their plays. I'm also aware that some regard it almost as a sin.

What do you think?

Is there anything in your box that gets pitch adjustment - or that you think might benefit from it?

:thumbsup: - Kev

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Do what you feel is right,but i never pitch up or down,just play em as they were intended.:)

But how were they intended Kev?

Weren't some of the early TMG hits pitched up for the UK releases during the production stage? If so, we never heard them as they were intended, it's just that someone other than a dj made the decision that faster was better for a particular scene.

:thumbsup:- Kev

Social source share

TO PITCH OR NOT TO PITCH? THAT IS THE QUESTION......DON'T SEE THE HARM IN KNOCKIN IT UP A FEW NOTCHES IF THAT'S WHATS REQUIRED , RARELY DO IT MYSELF THO. ONCE FOLLOWED A GUY WHO PITCHED A TUNE UP TO SOMETHING LIKE +7. I KICKED OFF WITH QUITE AN UPBEAT TUNE ...NEEDLESS TO SAY THE FLOOR JUST COULDN,T KEEP UP

BRI PINCH

Social source share

But how were they intended Kev?

Weren't some of the early TMG hits pitched up for the UK releases during the production stage? If so, we never heard them as they were intended, it's just that someone other than a dj made the decision that faster was better for a particular scene.

:thumbsup:- Kev

If it was at production stage,then thats how it was intended.I thought you were meaning pitching up on the night.:) .

Like i said its your call.... and of course the paying people's.biggrin.gif

Social source share

If it was at production stage,then thats how it was intended.I thought you were meaning pitching up on the night.:thumbsup: .

Like i said its your call.... and of course the paying people's.:)

Hi Kev,

Sure I'd heard that some U.S. releases were subsequently pitched up before being released to a UK market - so not as originally intended?

Anyway, you're right I am really talking about pitching up on the decks.

Could really do with some examples of tunes that are/could be pitched.

Anybody?

Social source share

"It's Your Voodoo Working" by Charles Sheffield has always sounded better pitched up to about +3. Think a lot of DJs were like-minded about this one around 10 years ago.

I used to pitch up the instrumental B-side to "Alone With No Love" by The Contemplations - not for any other reason, other than it was actually recorded fractionally slower than normal.

Social source share

I have a Clarence Reid 45 (forget the title) that I pitch up sometimes, makes it sound like a uptempo funky sister soul track. It's actually really alarmingly convincing.

Also the latest Charles Bradley 45, if you pitch that up a tad it sounds more like a funky Syl Johnson dancer.

Edited by Kris Holmes
Social source share

If it feels right pitch it which ever way you want. Some are too fast today and pitched down a bit makes them just about right. Some are the opposite, too slow so pitched up make them that bit better of a dancer. I rarely do either, just the odd occasion with the odd record or two.

Social source share

If it feels right pitch it which ever way you want. Some are too fast today and pitched down a bit makes them just about right. Some are the opposite, too slow so pitched up make them that bit better of a dancer. I rarely do either, just the odd occasion with the odd record or two.

Eddie daniels is he better than me, pitched up really works think Mick H pitched it up at Lifeline sounded far better IMHO

Social source share

Eddie daniels is he better than me, pitched up really works think Mick H pitched it up at Lifeline sounded far better IMHO

That was probably Andy putting the pitch right up when Mick's back turned laugh.gif

Seriously though I would never think about pitching this one up, quite fast as it is.

Social source share

Johnny Watson - Its better to cry, i pitched this up at home +3 and it sounded oh so much better but would love a copy by the Appreciations :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert