Knights And Arthur - Do You

Guest Dani Herranz

Guest Dani Herranz

I´ve just had it, Kenny Gamble production, I believe it is Detroit...

Pretty weird sound and probably not-everyones-taste but I love it, it has taken me 3 years to get hold of...any info about it??? has it been played around (definitely NOT in Spain)???...just out of curiosity...

post-2394-0-50666800-1295617868_thumb.jp

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Released on Gamble/Huff's Philly label. Gamble G-202 "Do you"/"So sweet, so fine". Not the rarest Gamble side, but can be a bit tricky to track down.

The Knights & Arthur was actually a pseudonym for Ben Krause, the co-writer of both sides with kenny Gamble. Ben Krause also recorded using the name B.K.Marcus, and had another release on Gamble under that name G-4012 "Does she care about me"/"Hippie of the city".

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I assume they were the same outfit, who also had a decent enough dancer released on Landa as well?

Always liked/rated 'Do You'...agree that it doesn't turn up as often as others on the label...don't think it has any Detroit connections..Dani?

:lol:

they also have a nice curtis mayfield produced cut on roulette. i'm interested in the source for the ben krause thing, googling reveals nothing

Social source share

Guest Dani Herranz

Thanks for the info!!!,

Pretty interesting stuff, I believe this record could go big sooner or later

I can´t remember where I took the idea of Detroit Dave, I´m sure you´ll be right!!! gracias!!

Social source share

got a few plays by waggy at the earl of doncaster in the 90`s. i remember seeing at £20 a couple of times around that time. dont know if its gone up in price since then

dave

Coincidentally there was a copy listed here on SS just a few days ago, now sold and the price no longer shown.

The backing always reminds me of Royal Jokers - Love Games A-Z.

Alan

Social source share

• 1 year later...

I was just thinking about this again. Did Ben Krause, besides being in the knights and arthur and BK marcus on gamble, have anything to do with the Bee Kays on Gamble? PhillyDaveG??? thanks.

Could be a conection! the writers on the Bee Kays disc (both sides) are credited to just GHK, which I take it is Gamble Huff and maybe Krause? playing both 45's their does seem a similarity in both.

Are Bee Kays and Knights and Arthur both the same outfit??

steve

Social source share

Awful singing! The guy can't sing! On the Roulette record, the great song, and his group bail him out, and disguise his lack of range, and lack of feeling for the song. Same is true for the Landa cuts. He's left bare on this one, and found very wanting.

Thought I better revisit the Gamble disc after your comments, Robb...but you are indeed correct...the backing singers are accomplished and rescue the situation, especially on the flip, 'So Sweet, So Fine'...which is actually better than I recalled it was.

:shades:

Social source share

Could be a conection! the writers on the Bee Kays disc (both sides) are credited to just GHK, which I take it is Gamble Huff and maybe Krause? playing both 45's their does seem a similarity in both.

Are Bee Kays and Knights and Arthur both the same outfit??

steve

PhillyDaveG, please come back and drop some more knowledge on this topic

Social source share

I recently had Richard Searling asking me about BK Marcus, here's the reply I sent him;

Richard - You asked about B.K.Marcus;

In the early days of Gamble records, one of the 1st people to lend G&H finances was one Ben Krass (aka Krause). He owned & ran one of Philly's most famous clothing stores Krass brothers on South Street, self titles "Store of the stars". He was a diminutive white guy who loved his doowop and fancied himself as a bit of a singer. He was born in 1919 & died in 2004 (running the store til 2002). He was renowned for his fast adverts and there's even one on youtube (link below). I assume that the $ he lent to get Gamble going was enough to let him do some recording work. It looks like he was involved in 4 singles on the Gamble label; he was certainly B.K.Marcus & The Boss Man, was something to do with the Bee-Kays, & in Arthur & The Knights. his name is shown in the writing credits on all these tunes.

& the salesman in action (careful - you may wet yourself laughing!);

Edited by phillyDaveG
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!