Burscough British Legion

Guest Afrigo

Made a rare visit to Burscough British Legion last night. These days I`m kind of detatched from the UK soul scene physically as well as emotionally as I split my time between Kampala, Uganda and West Lancs. That said it`s good to get along to support Tony and Lisa`s gig, which is a commendably well run event, ecletic play list, friendly atmosphere, I don`t drink so I can`t comment on the quality of the Legion beer, however friends who called at the nearby Hop Vine Pub were raving about the ale served up there, brewed on the premises. It was great to catch up with so many people who I don`t get to see because of the dictates of geography and other factors, So a big up To Nigel, Derek and Janet Watmough,Phil Sharples,Julian and Diana Kellett and not forgetting The redoubtable Lez Scott and Viv.i believe Lez is up on the Legion wheels of steel later in the year so i`m hoping i`ll be around for that.Before then plan to try get back to fun filled Burscough in March for an overdue catch up with that study in kinetic energy Jumping Joan.Thanks again to the Upholland massif, Much Power and Passion.

Edited by Afrigo
  • Replies 26
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Big thanks to everyone, :hatsoff2:

Had a brilliant night great tunes Great company & Cake & sandwich sorry Sandra thumbup.gif

(didnt know they did so many cards about vodka) lol wicked.gif

Feet a little tender now that could have been the cardboard earlier :thumbsup:

will post some pics later :thumbsup:

Be back March X x

Thanks to everyone for coming over to Burscough last night, really bad driving conditions but that didn't seem to put anyone off. Loads of new faces again and people travelling from far and wide, cheers folks! :hatsoff2:

We've had some great nights at Burscough Legion and last night has got to be up there with the best of them, absolutely top tunes from all the DJs kept the floor bouncing most of the evening---everything from quality oldies, rare R&B, crossover and 70s and more. Top tunes.

Thanks to Blunny, Grant, Dennis and Tony for spinning the sounds, couldn't fault any of the music last night----top notch quality sounds all the way! :thumbsup: Any playlists would be much appreciated, I will post mine up later.

No event at the Legion in February due to a mix up with the bookings but we are back on track on 26th March for another top night with guest DJs Jumpin' Joan, Col Murphy, Les Harrison and Nigel A. Should be another cracker, hope to see a few of you there. thumbsup.gif

Thanks once again for all the support, with so many events on at the moment it is brilliant to have so many great people coming along to the Legion and appreciating what we do there. thumbup.gif

See you soon......Tony & Lisa

:thumbup: Posted pics up folks X :lamsey:

Hope you had a great birthday Joyann, and thanks for coming along to the Legion to celebrate it!

Great pics by the way. :thumbsup:

Heres my playlist from last night, 8pm---8.30pm and 10.30pm---11pm with a few at the very end as Beryl was switching the lights on!

Steve Mancha..........Hate yourself in the morning

Ellie Greenwich..........You don't know

Chris Bartley..........Tomorrow keeps shining on me

Moovers..........One little dance

Cookin' on 3 burners..........This girl

Bud Harper..........Let me love you

Freddy King..........One hundred years

Glen Miller..........Where is the love

Broadways..........You just don't know

Millionaires..........And the rains came

Little Jimmy Ray..........You need to fall in love

Ola V Harper........I wanna weep

Commands..........Hey its love

Albert Jones..........I do love you

Oscar Perry..........He sent me you

Steve Mancha..........Lets party

Towana and the Total Destruction.........Help me get that feelin' back again

Presentations.........Call on me

Cookie Jackson...........Do you still love me

Satisfactions..........Take it or leave it

Big Maybelle..........I can't wait any longer

Gene Redding..........I got soul

Steve Mancha..........Friday night

JJ Barnes.........The goings on

Jimmy Beaumont.........I never loved her anyway

Gay Jamieson..........Stay another day

fantastic nite as per usual at burscough and the added bonus of djing, thanks to hosts tony and lisa and all the top company who braved the pea soup fog gettin there, and joyann for the bday cake, will post up playlist once ive gone thru the rec case, if u havent been there......get there!! :thumbsup:

Guest riversider

HI Everyone,

Attended last night after slinking our way through the fog (pretty scary at times) . well worth it too. we enjoyed some great sets

by all the dj`s . A nice change for us to listen to some "free range soul" !! and of course the good freindly folks at the Legion. Nice n steady going home

glad to say the fog had lifted . Hope to drop in again soon, keep up the good work at this special venue.

All The Best ................................................Stuart and Angela.

Thouroughly enjoyed Saturday, agree with Tony one of the best nights out in AGES!!!! did'nt think anything could top New Years Eve, but it is right up there with that!!! :lamsey:

All dj's were top notch, i am not biased honest, never danced so much since ................... NEVER!

Enjoyed the laughs and cake with Joyann and co i'm sick of bleedin' celebrating your birthday!!! give it a rest now (TUT). :thumbsup: Great to see (the real) Mick Howard and Dale from Scotland before they went to Burnley. (Sorry for dancing in your spot Mick Ha Ha) hope you did'nt lose the hats that i went to painstaking lengths to rescue for you. :ohmy:

It was nice to see Duane and Tony (eventually) who set off at same time as us from Rochdale, but got there considerably LATER than us as they went via Liverpool??? "Alright alright calm down calm down"!!! must have been the fog eh lads? :thumbup:

Anyway just found out i've got next saturday off work so will be going to Pete's 50th, really looking forward to that!!! I'm sure most of Saturday nights crowd will be there so see you all there. :lol:

Sandy

Edited by nightfiler

Great night Saturday night at Burscough. Thanks for the invite Tony.

Here's what I played;

1st Set:

Girl Of The World - The Lions

Love You The Best - Ernie K-Doe

That's All I Want - The Extremes

Bring Yourself Back Here - Little Eddie Mint

Puddentane - Lula Reed

They Don't Know - The 5 Royales

Ouch! - Ricky Allen

Little Indian Girl - Billy and The Moonlighters

Honey For Sale - 'Chip' Nelson

Where's My Money - Willie Jones

Take The Bitter With The Sweet - Little Gigi

Don't Worry About Dancing With Me - Garland Davis

Let Me Go My Merry Way - Charlie Rich

2nd Set:

How I Miss You So - Francess Burnett

Keep On Loving Me, Baby - Otis Rush

Barrelhouse Woman - Champion Jack Dupree

Twistin School - Little Betty

Popeye Train - Tabby Thomas

You're A Little Too Late - Danny Owen

Dixie Women - The Newports

If Love Don't Change - Frank Butler

What's That - Jimmy McCracklin

Longing For You - Ann Caudell

Just A Little Bit - Tiny Topsy

Don't Leave Me Here To Cry - The Supremes

Why O Why - Austin Taylor

Hope everybody enjoyed them.

Denbo.

Edited by denbo

Thouroughly enjoyed Friday, agree with Tony one of the best nights out in AGES!!!! did'nt think anything could top New Years Eve, but it is right up there with that!!! :thumbsup:

All dj's were top notch, i am not biased honest, never danced so much since ................... NEVER!

Enjoyed the laughs and cake with Joyann and co i'm sick of bleedin' celebrating your birthday!!! give it a rest now (TUT). :D Great to see (the real) Mick Howard and Dale from Scotland before they went to Burnley. (Sorry for dancing in your spot Mick Ha Ha) hope you did'nt lose the hats that i went to painstaking lengths to rescue for you. :thumbsup:

It was nice to see Duane and Tony (eventually) who set off at same time as us from Rochdale, but got there considerably LATER than us as they went via Liverpool??? "Alright alright calm down calm down"!!! must have been the fog eh lads? :D

Anyway just found out i've got next saturday off work so will be going to Pete's 50th, really looking forward to that!!! I'm sure most of Friday nights crowd will be there so see you all there. :thumbsup:

Sandy

yep,agree,top night out,but you must have been celebrating toooo much,cos I'm sure it was saturday,we were at the legion :D

The other Mick Howard

Another top night at The Legion and an excellent crowd of super soul loving people in. Great to see it establishing a really good regular following that make every event a pleasure to be at :D

Many thanks to Tony & Lisa for asking me back to spin some tunes and here's what they were......

8.30 'til 9.00

==========

Danny White - One Little Lie - ABC Paramount

Yvonne Baker & The Sensations - Eyes - Argo

Paul Martin - I've Got A New Love - Ascot

Percy Sledge - You've Got That Something Wonderful - Atlantic

Solomon Burke - Only Love (Can Save Me Now) - Atlantic

Etta James - Pay Back - Argo

Art Neville - Hook Line And Sinker - Instant

Allen Wayne - Chills & Fever - Try

Miller Sisters - I'm Telling It Like It Is - GMC

Ruby - Deceived - Gold Token

Lorraine Chandler - Tell Me You're Mine - RCA Victor

Denise Germaine - Too-Ra-Loo-Ra (Bye-Bye-Baby) - ABC Paramount

Sunny Carrington - The Girl Every Guy Should Know - Deep

11.00 'til 11.30

============

Olympics - Secret Agents - Mirwood

Flamingos - Since My Baby Put Me Down - Philips

Bunny Sigler - Can You Dig It - Cameo Parkway

Soulmasters - I'll Be Waiting Here - Raven

Isonics - Sugar - Kammy (request)

Sergio Mendes - Love Music - Bell (request)

Del Counts - With Another Guy - Soma

Ruby - Feminine Ingenuity - Gold Token

Exits - You Got To Have Money - Gemini

Maxine Brown - Let Me Give You My Lovin' - Wand

Parliaments - Heart Trouble - Golden World

Falcons - Love Look In Her Eyes - Big Wheel

Hope you enjoyed 'em as much as I did playing 'em.

Sithi back there in March :D

:D Posted pics up folks X :D

Hey Joy, re the photo i took: i'm getting much better .........at least i had the camera turned round the right way this time HA!

i listened to some of H's cd when i got in track 4 I am a clown David Cassidy BLESS HIM, i LOVE that record.

Have to agree with everyone else, actually i'll go one further, it was better than new years eve and thanks to Brooksy for the crossover stuff. The cake was lovely too.

Donna

YET ANOTHER BRILLIANT NIGHT AT BURSCOUGH.

WHAT A RANGE OF MUSIC, EVERYTHING FROM STORMING R&B AND NORTHERN TO REALLY LOVELY SOULFUL TUNES. :D

HEARD 2 OF MY ALLTIME FAVOURITES - NEWPORTS, DIXIE WOMAN AND INVITATIONS, WATCH OUT LITTLE GIRL AMONG MANY OTHERS.

ABSOLUTELY LOVED THE NIGHT. WOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN OFF THE FLOOR IF ME POOR OWD KNEE HAD BEEN OK!!!

EVEN HAD THE ADDED BONUS OF SOME YUMMY CHOCCIE CAKE !! THANKS GIRLS!!

ROLL ON THE NEXT ONE.

WELL DONE TONY AND LISA :D

Edited by BUSYBEE-GD

playlist for me....

10.00-10.30

turley richards - i feel alright (columbia)

the embers - first time (jcp)

wess & the airedales - i'll never turn my back on you (durium)

the diplomats - cards on the table (arock)

edwin starr - my kind of woman (ric tic)

little charles - talkin bout you babe (decca)

ruby jean - empty words (sbk)

lewis clark & explorers - i need your loving so bad (tiger town)

athens rogues - she could love me (stop)

sandy hollis - i'm tempted (big wheel)

willie parker - i cant fight it (mpac)

12.30 - 1.00

lela martin & soul providers - you cant have your cake (melatone) - for the birthday girl :lol:

the chaumonts - love is the thing (bay sound)

natural four - i thought you were mine (abc)

little bob & lollipops - are you ever coming home (high up)

eugene jefferson - pretty girl dressed in brown (open)

barabra redd - i'll be all alone (spqr)

buster & eddie - cant be still (class)

mac & barb and the gumuts - hold me tighter (pyramid)

sandpipers - lonely too long (giant)

phil orsi - lovin on borrowed time (wise world)

third tueday - third time under (kapp)

john bowie - youre gonna miss a good thing (merben)

tony diamond - dont turn away (blue rock)

thanks again to tony and lisa for letting me spin a few tunes, loved it :thumbsup:

Crackin' nite again I've got nothin else to say except Tony LIZ is on the war path, I don't think Grant gave her enough excuse to snap at his ankles, So he must have played some good music.

Great nite, top tunes, great company good laughs even had a piece of the choccy cake ( I think christ has risen again, I mean that cake went around just about everyone )

I

Crackin' nite again I've got nothin else to say except Tony LIZ is on the war path, I don't think Grant gave her enough excuse to snap at his ankles, So he must have played some good music.

Great nite, top tunes, great company good laughs even had a piece of the choccy cake ( I think christ has risen again, I mean that cake went around just about everyone )

I

I do go to church innocent.gif

Edited by wayoutgirl