UK Stax/Volt Revue, March-April 1967

Stereojet

Just to introduce myself and ask for a little bit of help. I'm a University lecturer who works on African American music in the 1960s (and bits and pieces of other stuff). I'm currently doing some research on the Stax/Volt Revue, which toured the UK in March-April 1967. I get the sense from browsing the site that you're more into your Northern Soul, but I'm wondering if any of you have any friends/relatives who might have been around in the UK during the tour? I'm wanting to do a few interviews with people who were there to try to find out a bit about their impressions of the Revue and what it meant to soul fans in the 1960s.

If you have any ideas, please let me know!

Social source share

• Replies 36
  • Views 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hope so! Also, if anyone has any questions about me, I'll be happy to answer them (within reason, obviously). And, in case anybody's interested, the reason that I'm looking into the Revue is in part because my Mum went to one of the concerts and told me some really interesting things about how it affected her personally. I'm wanting to see if she's the only person who was affected in this way, or if it was widespread. Cheers all. I'll pop back on Monday.

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

So, no takers then. Not to worry. Thanks for reading! I'll pop back from time to time, just in case.

Hi Stereojet - welcome to SS.

I think probably the specific query you have has been 'hidden' in the Members' Shouts & Intros, and your title topic 'Hi All' is not likely to 'root out' the people who might have been to the Revue - and I'm sure there will be a number on here who did go to it.

It might be better starting a new topic in 'All About The Soul' - something like 'UK Stax/Volt Revue Tour 1967 - Were You There?'........ or something similar. It will appear in a more frequented area of the Board and is much more likely to get to the right people.

Hope this helps

Brian :thumbsup:

PS - Mods - hope AATS is the right part of the Board? Perhaps advise if not.

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Just to introduce myself and ask for a little bit of help. I'm a University lecturer who works on African American music in the 1960s (and bits and pieces of other stuff). I'm currently doing some research on the Stax/Volt Revue, which toured the UK in March-April 1967. I get the sense from browsing the site that you're more into your Northern Soul, but I'm wondering if any of you have any friends/relatives who might have been around in the UK during the tour? I'm wanting to do a few interviews with people who were there to try to find out a bit about their impressions of the Revue and what it meant to soul fans in the 1960s.

i'm sure Geoff Green will help you out, top bloke who is always happy to be of assistance.... contact him on here 'Geoff'

treat yourself to this at the same time.....

https://www.rarenorthernsoul.com/LPs/12493/lp-inc-aint-no-son/#product

Edited by Andy Kempster
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

You may want to line up an interview with Sir Paul McCartney. :lol:

In the first half of 1967 the Beatles were in the studio recording a little album named Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

The story goes (I hope it's true) that the recording commitments meant they couldn't attend any of the concerts. So instead, they went out of their way to hire limousines to pick up the Stax tour artists from the airport.

Most of those guys were suffering culture shock just flying to Europe. What they must have made of that gesture I can hardly imagine!!

MB

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

Guest makstax

Hi I attended the Stax/Volt tour on 22/03/1967 at the queens hall leeds, a rather grand name for what was a dissused bus depot complete with concrete floor but despite all this it was thanks to the performers on that stage the most memorable and awsome night of my then 15 year lifemade even more special by the fact that after the show I was lucky enough to meet and chat to two of my personal heros in booker T jones and steve cropper. I still have the official flyer for the tour which I picked up in Foxes record shop in doncaster and also the June 1967 issue of Home of the Blues magazine whichcontains reviews and photos of the tour. I also had the honour of meeting joe tex & Ben E King in 1968 when I was resident DJ at the bin Lid club in Dewsbury, Joe of course was one of the pall bearers at otis's funeral. If I can be of help to you in any way please do not hesitate to contact me my mobile no. is 07584I33378 have been an ardent follower of the music of black America in all its various genres since 1963 and still attend soul nights on a weekly basiswith my partner Sue who is as much into the music as me look foward to hearing from you regards Melv Kaye

Social source share

Hi Stereo Jet,

I have the Otis Reddimng live in Europe LP, recorded on that tour, and also a live version of Soothe me - Sam and Dave, a 45 US Stax release but recorded at Wembley, this is THE BEST live recording I have heard OF ANYTHING.

Anyway, I would suggest you contact Blueten, see the Bletsoe thread, under All Our Yesterdays, I know for a fact that the jammy sod was at one of the /wembley concerts !!!!!.

ATB

I've made Mark (Blueten) aware of this thread

Edited by DanDare
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

If Blueten was at Wembley it wasn't to see the London leg of the Stax/Volt Tour as it played Finsbury Park. Hammersmith and Manor Park! If he or anyone else claims to have seen it at Wembley, they're being economical with the truth...

Also the live 'Soothe Me' was actually recorded at one of the French shows, despite the 45 label saying 'Recorded live In London, England' (or possibly just 'England', can't be bothered to go upstairs and shift three tons of unfiled 45s to get to my blue Stax to check...)

Social source share

Hi stereo jet. I was at the stax review in 1967 at The Finsbury Park Astoria.My most vivid memories were of Otis singing I cant Turn You Loose and Shake of which I have a live recording on Stax.I will always remember the long trudge back to the motorway to hitch a lift back home as at the time,I was still at school and could not afford things like buses!!

I also saw The Four Tops at the Royal Albert Hall.This was their first visit to britain and Reach Out was climbing the charts-fantastic.

Was also at the live recording of Geno Washingtons "Hand clappin Foot Stompin Funky Butt Live" at Leicester-not a favourite of mine but the atmosphere was absolutely electric,and the first time I had ever stood up to dance in a cinema!!!:thumbsup:

Those were the days.:thumbsup: Regards Mark.

Social source share

Absoloute Fcuk up, must remember NOT TO POST WHEN PISSED.......the concert in question was I belive Finsbury,NOT Wembley as previously stated, the album and single referred to DO NOT state thye VENUE where they were recorded :-

Sam and Dave US 45 release label STX-12430-PL 45-218 says ''recorded live in London, England'

Otis Redding in Europe STAX LP 598016 gives no recording information with regard to venue.

I'm suitabl;y embarrased and apologise to ALL those who HAD TO post corrections,(which I have not read as Blueten had emailed me to tell me of my cockup), to my incorrect information.:thumbsup:

To be honest I'd always assumed the concert werte held at Wembley as up until Bluetens comment to me in a phone call that he'd been at concert I knew nothing about it, having been at school at time and not into the music as such, so when I got the single stating recorded in London i automatically ''ASSUMED', and ALWAYS have, that it was Wembley, as that is where/was, apart from O2 these days, everthing happens(d):(

Edited by DanDare
Social source share

After discussing this thred with Blueten weve reached the following conclusion :-

Would have been nice to have sent me/him PM pointing out the error, rather than implying publicly some one is telling porkies.

It were genuine case of error on my part, as I've explained, personally I cant be assed with someopne who has to check

''3 tons of history''.......an apology to offended parties would be nice, but you being Tony Runce probaly wont obllige :yes:

END OF

Edited by DanDare
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Southern Brian

Hi Stereojet, I was at The Upper Cut Club on March 19th. 1967 to see the Stax tour, I still have complementary entrance tickets. The highlights for me were Carla squeezed into a blue dress singing 'B A B Y' and Rufus 'Walking The Dog' as well as Otis,Sam and Dave,Eddie,Arthur etc. I also saw Otis at The Ramjam Club 390-398 Brixton Road SW9 on the Sunday afternoon after he had been on Ready Steady Go live on the Friday but can't remember the date. If I can help in any way my mobile no is

Regards Brian

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another who may be able to help is Al Taylor from Doncaster i believe.He was a Mojo dj went to the Wheel etc,and he did his own Stax/ Volt revue a year or so ago in Sheffield,using archive footage.

Sorry can't remember his user name as he does'nt come on here much nowadays.

Social source share

Hi

There are 2 LP live recordings from this tour issued on the U.K. blue Stax label 589010. I have one and have spent 40+ yrs trying to get the other.

Artists featured on my album are

Carla Thomas, B-A-B-Y ,Yesterday.

Sam & Dave, Hold on I'm coming, I take what I want, Soothe me, When something is wrong with my baby.

Booker T & MG's, Green onions (extended version), Red beans & rice, Gimme some lovin'

The other album Vol 2 features

Otis Redding

Eddie Floyd

Markeys.

I also have the Otis in europe LP which contains live performance from various european venues from this tour.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the D.J. Emperor Rosko compered the show at the Finsbury Park.

Had the pleasure of seeing Sam & Dave perform around 1970 and they were amazing, best soul outfit I have ever seen.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Kev and ulysses. I'll see if any of my contacts know Al Taylor and find out if I can contact him. Thanks for the info. I'd love those LPs but CDs will have to do for me for the time being! You're right about Emperor Rosko. He also compered most of the other shows. He was good enough to answer a few questions of mine, recording his answers on an MP3 file. It's by far the coolest email I've ever received! thanks again Stereojet

Social source share

• 1 year later...
Guest london2013

Hi, Are you still looking for people who can help you with your research into the UK Stax tour ?? I stumbled upon your post yesterday and think I may be able you. Damian

Social source share

Thanks Kev and ulysses. I'll see if any of my contacts know Al Taylor and find out if I can contact him. Thanks for the info. I'd love those LPs but CDs will have to do for me for the time being! You're right about Emperor Rosko. He also compered most of the other shows. He was good enough to answer a few questions of mine, recording his answers on an MP3 file. It's by far the coolest email I've ever received! thanks again Stereojet

Further to London2013 post, I have just seen your post too. I was at The Otis Redding Show at The Empire, Liverpool. The Stax/Volt show in all but name. A whole 7/6 to get in! I still have the programme and the flyer that was sent with the tickets which in effect was a mini poster for the show. I can send you scans if you are interested.

Social source share

• 2 years later...

In 1967 I was at what may have been OR's first gig in the UK in a small club in Aldershot - four of us invited as friends of the management - and at the Astoria Finsbury Park (can be seen briefly in the clip on BBC4 prog just shown).

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

The stax / volt tour  of England and Europe is included in the documentary "Otis redding soul ambassador "

think it was shot on a 8mm cini by Eddie floyde

i recorded it off of bbc 4 

Edited by spike1
spelling mistoke
Social source share

Regretibly I did not see OR on this tour.Only discovered him 2/3 months before the plane crash that took his life (via Johnnie Walker's late night show on Radio Caroline)

I became a member of 'Uptight & Outa Sight' the Atlantic Stax appreciation society which was run by two girls (Jan Martin was one bucan't remember the others name) If you can track them down they could possibly help you. I did go to watch a film made of the tour which was shown at at Kensington or was it Knightsbridge Town Hall.Guess that would have been in 1968 or 1969!! It must have been a cine film on an old fashioned projector

Social source share

• 3 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!