Don Covay - Bad Mouthing - Mercury

Sunnysoul

I've run this one past a number of people who were on the scene back in the 70's and it drew blanks, although most mentioned Don's " It's Better To Have ... " on Mercury as being quite popular and that one was really his only play from his Mercury output.

Was "Bad Mouthing" played at all on the scene in the 70's ?

Also curious if "Bad Mouthing" is a UK only 45 (which I have) , can anyone confirm that there was also a US release on 7" ( it's from his excellent Super Dude LP) ?

Been playing "Bad Mouthing" recently and it's packed the floor ... everytime !!!

Anyone else playing this ?

Cheers :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I bought this one around the mid 70's, a UK copy. There was a bit of a 'buzz' on it at the time, but I don't ever recall it getting plays out anywhere.

Which doesn't mean it didn't get played, I just never heard it.

It was coupled with different titles in the UK and the USA

UK issue was released on the flip to the lovely ballad "I was checking out..."

US copy was released with "Somebody's been enjoying my home"

Both flip sides being typical 'slipping around' songs :thumbsup:

"Bad mouthing" was and still is a nice dancer, it would be nice to hear it played out sometime :yes:

Social source share

I bought this one around the mid 70's, a UK copy. There was a bit of a 'buzz' on it at the time, but I don't ever recall it getting plays out anywhere.

Both flip sides being typical 'slipping around' songs :lol:

"Bad mouthing" was and still is a nice dancer, it would be nice to hear it played out sometime :thumbsup:

Agreed John.

I bought it mid 70's when new, but only to get my hands on 'I Was Checking Out' on a 45 (almost wore the grooves of the mutha).

'Bad Mouthing' was a US Disco track, and although I'm sure it would have had spins in the 'hip' London clubs at the time, back in 1973 it was anything but the kind of sound that was going down up north / on the 'Northern' scene.

O'course... some o' them Northern boys always were a bit slow catchin' on! :yes:

:yes:

Sean

Social source share

Guest Jimmy Scriv

Both flip sides being typical 'slipping around' songs wink.gif

"Bad mouthing" was and still is a nice dancer, it would be nice to hear it played out sometime yes.gif

Same thoughts as me John I also bought mid 70's never got significant plays way back, will have to put it back in my box now!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert