Troggs Allnighter What Happened, Who Shot Who?

shelly

After a reunion(piss up for Grays birthday) last Friday night, the topic went on to Troggs allnighter in Farnworth Bolton the week after the Torch shut.

We went in a van from the Old English driven by Nicky C, on arriving it was already mayhem crowds outside almost fighting to get in.

I got in with then girl friend Ruth from Winchester, miles didn't matter then, a couple others from the van also got in, but the rest where locked out.

Now, what happened

The manager kept coming on stage saying drop your gear it's a raid, Jack Bollington went to the cloakroom to get his tape recorder -I wonder why, and wasn't allowed in as someone had been shot, blood all over the wall and ceiling, story was S****e from Brum had shot someone,

it was the most weird niter I ever went to, music on low all night, police trying to get in, metal gates barring them, totally smashed and about 500 outside dancing to discatrons and cassettes all night and bllod covering the cloakroom, including jackets, when we left in the morning, believe it or not we where there all night, then both mine and Ruth's jackets where splatterd in blood.

Does anyone know what really happened, we'd all had g&c's so where totally out of it and so it appears was everyone else wo was either insideor outside.

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

After a reunion(piss up for Grays birthday) last Friday night, the topic went on to Troggs allnighter in Farnworth Bolton the week after the Torch shut.

We went in a van from the Old English driven by Nicky C, on arriving it was already mayhem crowds outside almost fighting to get in.

I got in with then girl friend Ruth from Winchester, miles didn't matter then, a couple others from the van also got in, but the rest where locked out.

Now, what happened

The manager kept coming on stage saying drop your gear it's a raid, Jack Bollington went to the cloakroom to get his tape recorder -I wonder why, and wasn't allowed in as someone had been shot, blood all over the wall and ceiling, story was S****e from Brum had shot someone,

it was the most weird niter I ever went to, music on low all night, police trying to get in, metal gates barring them, totally smashed and about 500 outside dancing to discatrons and cassettes all night and bllod covering the cloakroom, including jackets, when we left in the morning, believe it or not we where there all night, then both mine and Ruth's jackets where splatterd in blood.

Does anyone know what really happened, we'd all had g&c's so where totally out of it and so it appears was everyone else wo was either insideor outside.

If anyone knows what happened , it will be Brent Howarth .

Malc

Social source share

If anyone knows what happened , it will be Brent Howarth .

Malc

I am not sure about the 'blood all over the cloakroom' claim. I was there along with Bob Hinsley and had my bag rifled along with bus ticket, records and Discatron.

It certainly lowered the tone of the traditional All Nighter, clearly trying to cash in on the Torch's success. However, trying to add a Northern crowd on straight after the Roxy/Bowie night in the same venue proved disasterous. One wonders how Wigan managed it.

Unsavoury to say the least. Still, I met Bob for the first time, he introduced to me Brent and Richard Searling a few weeks later. We are all great friends after nearly 40 years.

I wonder who DJ'd that night? Alan Day perhaps.

Social source share

I was there that night, the place was mayhem, with almost everybody 'chemically solvent.' I don't really think the management knew what to expect, or how to control it, they certainly wer not fully swithched on to the northern scene at all. I still have a poster from that night, it reads "Ride on soul brother" instead of "Right on soul brother" to Troggs Farnworth. Happy days though.

Regards Ricardo. :thumbsup:

Social source share

I was there that night, the place was mayhem, with almost everybody 'chemically solvent.' I don't really think the management knew what to expect, or how to control it, they certainly wer not fully swithched on to the northern scene at all. I still have a poster from that night, it reads "Ride on soul brother" instead of "Right on soul brother" to Troggs Farnworth. Happy days though.

Regards Ricardo. :thumbsup:

Is that the one with the drawing of the cave man with a club ?

Malc

Social source share

just talking to Alan and he was definitly DJing that night

Sue

I am not sure about the 'blood all over the cloakroom' claim. I was there along with Bob Hinsley and had my bag rifled along with bus ticket, records and Discatron.

It certainly lowered the tone of the traditional All Nighter, clearly trying to cash in on the Torch's success. However, trying to add a Northern crowd on straight after the Roxy/Bowie night in the same venue proved disasterous. One wonders how Wigan managed it.

Unsavoury to say the least. Still, I met Bob for the first time, he introduced to me Brent and Richard Searling a few weeks later. We are all great friends after nearly 40 years.

Social source share

As far as i recall Kev ...

Bob Hinsley Djd that night and also Alan Day did a spot after being seen driving up and down Market St for about a hour in a red sports car.

The story about someone being shot was pure fiction.

I witnessed personally the incident where the blood in the cloakroom had come from.........., A Well known local thief Robin S***** Who having been caught going through bags. Had the living shit kicked out of him by a group of Bolton, Farnworth and Leigh " Faces " In the cloakroom, after which the police were called and the cloakroom closed.

Although not as romantic a tale as someone being shot ... there was a lot of it all over the cloakroom.... and it sure caused a wave of paranoia seeing police in an all nighter so soon after the episode of stopping coaches on the way to the Torch

I think Richard Hillel may be able to confirm the names of the vigilantes as i know he was there also that night in his dads lwb Landrover.

The Reason that there were so many locked out was pure logistics .... It was about 1/8th the size of the Torch. with a dancefloor the size of a fireside rug,.... with about 150 inside and the same number outside trying to get in.

Regards and Respect Pal .... Brent :(

Edited by brent
Social source share

Appreciate the update, it was far from being f***ing romantic that night, but Sparky shooting someone, being a local thief or what is repeated by ones who where there from this area.

Anyway, a bit more clarity has been added, Alan dj 'd or at least was on the dex ,I mean decks, but the sound was on minimum most of the night so questionable in the true sense of the term.

Hopefully a few more pieces to the jigsaw will be added, then we can go on to the next topics that no one can remember, did rod stewart and elton john back up Long John Baldry at the Gliderdrome all nighter in Boston bank hol weekend c 69 and second, was Quick Joey Small ever played at the Wheel?

Shelly

Bob Hinsley Djd that night and also Alan Day did a spot after being seen driving up and down Market St for about a hour in a red sports car.

I witnessed personally the incident where the blood in the cloakroom had come from.........., A Well known local thief Robin S***** Who having been caught going through bags. Had the living shit kicked out of him by a group of Bolton, Farnworth and Leigh " Faces " In the cloakroom, after which the police were called and the cloakroom closed.

Although not as romantic a tale as someone being shot ... there was a lot of it all over the cloakroom.... and it sure caused a wave of paranoia seeing police in an all nighter so soon after the episode of stopping coaches on the way to the Torch

I think Richard Hillel may be able to confirm the names of the vigilantes as i know he was there also that night in his dads lwb Landrover.

The Reason that there were so many locked out was pure logistics .... It was about 1/8th the size of the Torch. with a dancefloor the size of a fireside rug,.... with about 150 inside and the same number outside trying to get in.

Regards and Respect Pal .... Brent :(

Social source share

The nite you are thinking about was the nite the Torch shut if i remember the Torch closed early instead of being a niter it closed around midnite

loads of people then made there way to Farnworth to the Troggs niter i was one of the people outside who could,nt get in it was packed outside

people just millin around off there heads listenin to cassette players , discotrons ect ect Max from Atherton pinched a milk float among other daft things that where goin down around Farnworth in the early hours, i remember shouting to Bob Hinsley who was inside near the door to get me in but it was a lock out

Several of us decieded to walk home the 9 miles to Leigh it was bloody frezzin that i do remember :(

Social source share

The Torch last all niter was two weeks earlier, then the week before Troggs was the all dayer with Sam&Dave, then -Troggs, I heard about the milk float story but had forgotten , it appears it was a monumental night for all the wrong reasons!!!

One day everyone will know chapter and verse and then be forgotten agian for another 37 years!

The nite you are thinking about was the nite the Torch shut if i remember the Torch closed early instead of being a niter it closed around midnite

loads of people then made there way to Farnworth to the Troggs niter i was one of the people outside who could,nt get in it was packed outside

people just millin around off there heads listenin to cassette players , discotrons ect ect Max from Atherton pinched a milk float among other daft things that where goin down around Farnworth in the early hours, i remember shouting to Bob Hinsley who was inside near the door to get me in but it was a lock out

Several of us decieded to walk home the 9 miles to Leigh it was bloody frezzin that i do remember :(

Social source share

I was sure it was the same nite as the Torch alldayer i could have sworn we all traveled back early from Tunstall to go to

a mates wedding in Higher Folds Leigh before goin on to Farnworth to Troggs :lol:

Regarding Max nickin the milk float he once nicked a bread delivery van and when he appeared in court the magistrate asked Max why he had took the van Max replied we where just loafin about , it made front page in the Bolton evening news Man who stole van was just loafin about :(

Social source share

Regards and Respect Pal .... Brent :thumbsup:

A routine Farnworth night out then thumbsup.gif

Brent, as you know this was a tad before my time, but this is the first I have known about who the villain of the piece was, assuming I have who it is correct, was he into northern or there purely as an oppurtunist? Or both? Either way he didn't learn much from it,

Social source share

• 3 years later...
Guest Bootlegger

Hi Shelly

saw your post that mentioned the last alldayer at the torch, I'm trying to find out who were to live acts that appeared that day?

yes I did go, I think we arrived about 12 oclock and it was a saturday?

anyone got memories of this event?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!