Dance Floors That 'Made You Feel Like A King'

Guest Jamie

Guest Jamie

To start this one, I'll profer an apology.

I won't have danced on well over 95% of these babies, but just for my own curiosity, I NEED TO KNOW:

Tell me your best ever 3 dance floors you have ever danced on. And to validate your claim I wanna know why (Slippiness (?), Size, Sprung-iness (??) Shape etc.) or whether is was just down to the sheer atmos.

Come on you lot, this is part of my learning process.

And also any really funny spin-related-table-drink-wiping-out funnies aswell, just to keep it light hearted!!!!

A Canna Wait!!!

Social source share

• Replies 39
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

No.1 for me has to be the main room at Prestatyn.

Good size and shape and nice and springy and slippy, although some have said a bit too much, dance floors like most other things on this scene are really down to personal preference.

No.2 Brighouse truely georgeous floor, nice and springy without being too much the other way making you feel sea sick.

No.3 Prestwich, although I have only been up there maybe 3 times, its a lovely even and well polished floor.

Social source share

Dont know about the best dancefloor but the worst i ever tried to dance on was above the Ship & rainbow pub in Wolverhampton in the late 70s with a few of my mates who were into northern soul and around 100 punk rockers who definatley were not into northern.

The dancefloor was so sticky with beer and spilt substances it was impossible to dance properly and when the dj decided to do his northern session i decided to be brave and give it a go to an almost empty dancefloor and while in the middle of some decidedly tricky sticky moves one of the spikey haired anarchist bastards did a drop kick on my back sending me flying to the other end of the room.

That was the last time i ever went there.

Mind you im still doing my moves on the dancefloors today , what are the pogo dancing freakos up to now.

Social source share

The best floor for me was the Ritz in Manchester in the late 70's before it was lowered to the floor, it was huge and had wrought Iron railings all the way round. You had to climb 4 steps to get onto it, it was so slippy and springy, now its a mess with boards sticking out and loose sections.

I think the best two now are The Monaco in Hindley and The Ritz in Brighouse, both sprung and very slippy.

Social source share

Guest Jamie

The dancefloor was so sticky with beer and spilt substances it was impossible to dance properly and when the dj decided to do his northern session i decided to be brave and give it a go to an almost empty dancefloor and while in the middle of some decidedly tricky sticky moves one of the spikey haired anarchist bastards did a drop kick on my back sending me flying to the other end of the room.

Here's a story for you, and I'm sure you've all got variations on a similar theme.......

First was how one of my Old Man's friends, 'Mad' Peter Smith, tried to tell everyone when he was blathered that he could spin better than his other mate, Mally.

I think it was at the Morecambe all-niter, anyhoo, Pete winds up for this big spin and basically come up with some sort of broken helicopter move and hits this big round table, full of drinks, back first and slides into the middle of it, clearing off all the drinks and stops, feet and hands in the air like a starfish.

Everyone had seen him coming and jumped out of the way. When they all peered over looking at him, he just shouted 'My round then...'

He ended up buying a round, made friends (Who he stills sees today!) and carried on dancing.

Now if that's not Northern Soul for you then I'm a fat Dart player, with a beard.

Social source share

Guest Jamie

No.2 Brighouse truely georgeous floor, nice and springy without being too much the other way making you feel sea sick.

There's my 5% I was telling you about. I've done that one and agree it's class - that's if you can get on it these days for all the handbags!

Another funny one was a place in Doncaster in the late 70's. The 'Northern' room was up-stairs, and to get to the loo's you had to come from the down-stairs room, which basically was pop-tastic.

Best thing was though, the floor was like a bowling lane, and unsuspecting disco dudes would go skidding about and end up on their ass.

Mean spirited I know, but I imagined it was piss funny!

I'll have to do a serialisation of all my Dad's Northern stories, there's some belters!

Either that or teach him to type!

Social source share

Best: Notts Oddfellows, Leicester...big, atmospheric, nice and slidy.

Worst:

100 Club - nice ruts in the floor, excellent pillars for braining yourself on when spinning into and out of rut

Hinckley Leisure Centre - excellent concrete under the floor, brilliant for the calves, hips and knees

Leighton Buzzard on the night the normal venue was cancelled and we ended up in the Blue Circle cement works social club. By 5am, we were dancing in setting concrete.

Funnily enough, the 100 Club was always by far my favourite nighter, Hinckley was great and the Lerighton Buzzard night a fantastic laugh. So maybe dance floors aren't the be-all and end-all

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Best: Notts Oddfellows, Leicester...big, atmospheric, nice and slidy.

Worst:

100 Club - nice ruts in the floor, excellent pillars for braining yourself on when spinning into and out of rut

Hinckley Leisure Centre - excellent concrete under the floor, brilliant for the calves, hips and knees

Leighton Buzzard on the night the normal venue was cancelled and we ended up in the Blue Circle cement works social club. By 5am, we were dancing in setting concrete.

Funnily enough, the 100 Club was always by far my favourite nighter, Hinckley was great and the Lerighton Buzzard night a fantastic laugh. So maybe dance floors aren't the be-all and end-all

With you all the way there Dan.

Did the best spin of my life and it is captured on the video for the second (?? Jades -Where its at) anniversary video, to Barbara Mcnair - you're gonna love my baby.

Got to add Swan Hotel in Mansfield to the bad floors. Polished cobbles at a niter?? Yer 'avin a turkish!!

Social source share

The best floor for me was the Ritz in Manchester in the late 70's before it was lowered to the floor, it was huge and had wrought Iron railings all the way round. You had to climb 4 steps to get onto it, it was so slippy and springy,

I remember the Ritz floor from around '75 when "The Flasher" or similar tracks were being played. The sort of dancing done caused the whole floor to bounce, and any drinks on tables within a mile of the epicentre of the dancefloor bounced in time to the music as they made their way to the edge before falling to the floor.

But the worst had to be the concrete and tramtracks of Leeds Queens Hall, as mentioned in another thread.

Social source share

Got to add Swan Hotel in Mansfield to the bad floors. Polished cobbles at a niter?? Yer 'avin a turkish!!

you think the Swan was bad for a niter?? u shud have been there when Stoke City pitched up - must have been about 1977 for it was the season when the Stags reached the old 2nd division.

very interesting to say the least - as they say 'come dancing'!!

cheers

Scotty

ps These Old Shoes downstairs at the River Bar. Now what is that dance floor all about??

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

you think the Swan was bad for a niter?? u shud have been there when Stoke City pitched up - must have been about 1977 for it was the season when the Stags reached the old 2nd division.

very interesting to say the least - as they say 'come dancing'!!

cheers

Scotty

ps These Old Shoes downstairs at the River Bar. Now what is that dance floor all about??

They are always dancing when they come to Ashton Gate.

Just thought of another dreadful dancefloor. The one at Togetherness weekender, about 2 or 3 years ago. Where they had to keep stopping the allnighter to bash the bits back together again.

Brand Leader????!!!

Social source share

One of the worst I've ever danced on has to be at the legendary Shades of Green club in Camberley.  It featured a unique (in my experience) sloping dance floor.

tony

You've obviously never been to These Old Shoes then. Postage stamp size and listing to port (depending on your starting point). A spin on the wrong side of the peak line and you'll likely end up in the decks!

Paul

SITC

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

The dancefloor is like one of my old girlfriends.

Always got the hump.

I am quite fond of the River Bar dancefloor tho ;-)

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

See you down there later Paul. I am brininging 4 girls with me. Wa hey!! None are single tho so behave ;-)

Social source share

Best dancefloor for me was the Queens Hall Bradford, Very springy and a great atmosphere. Worst was an allnighter on an industrial site had a concrete floor, My shoes were ruined.

Social source share

My personal favourite floors are, in no special order: Viaduct Newton-Le-Willows, Monaco Hindley and Rylands in Warrington. I was at the Viaduct oldies night in June and there was a bloke there thought he was Nijinsky (not the racehorse, the ballet dancer) anyway his routine was a spin then leap in the air then land on his hands in a back flop. However his timing got a little bit out, you know how it is, and he landed a little arkwardly and I think he broke his wrist. You'd have to have a heart of stone not to laugh.

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

One of my favourites has got to be Kings Hall Stoke,it's huge with a fantastic atmosphere Bisely Pavilion is also quite good (pity the talc is confiscated at the door) Prestwich is also good (apart from when i fell flat on my arse), my partner tracie like's the Ritz. But on the other hand, one of the worst has to be Cala Gran Fleetwood, it's a total pile of shit (the cobbles on Coranation street would be smoother)

Top Tip: I've found that if you fit castors to your shoes it doesn't really matter what floor your on and if you wear extra long bags, no one can see

the Marrs Bar is also allright nice and small unless some idiot spills beer then its more a kin to Bambi on Ice than the Tower Lounge Blackpool

Social source share

One of the worst I've ever danced on has to be at the legendary Shades of Green club in Camberley.  It featured a unique (in my experience) sloping dance floor.

haha. at sleepless nights in dublin we danced on a sloping dance floor for a good few months. there were splinters in the floor too. the dance area was quite small so you'd have about 40 people rammed into the space the size of a cupboard. it was always a laugh when new people came along and would be horrified when someone would throw a kick just past their head or backdrop onto their feet. thakfully no one got hurt.

another great floor - about 3 years ago some of us went to llandudno for a drunken monkey all-nighter. it was on in a hotel on the seafront? i'd never encountered a slippy/polished floor before that - i fell over when i tried to spin. wales rules.

worst floor ever HAS to be the renaissance room in Prestatyn this year. dancing on oversized ping pong tables? that's not right.

Social source share

Best dancefloor in London of recent yaers was the one at the Notre Dame Hall off of Leicester Square, Nick Brown's Scenesville venue. What a shame the floor was replaced by seats for Boy George's life story musical. Sacrilege!

PAul

SITC

Yes I'd go along with that.

Another really good dancefloor is Eastbourne town hall.

Re the River Bar dancefloor I always aim to start at the lowest point, cos I know I'll end up there anyway ;-)

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Woolie's right. Eastbourne has the best dancefloor about at this moment in time.

Others I enjoyed - without talc (awful stuff and really not needed IMO) Fleet, P'Boro and The Crown in Morden.

Social source share

With you all the way there Dan.

Did the best spin of my life and it is captured on the video for the second (?? Jades -Where its at) anniversary video, to Barbara Mcnair - you're gonna love my baby.

Kin ell the Swan was a killer floor, sure there was many who left there with sprained ankles at least ;-)

Oddfellows top floor as was Bradford Queens Hall, nice sprung floor. The Winding Wheel in Chestefield, the upstairs room, was another good floor.

Social source share

The best floor for me was the Ritz in Manchester in the late 70's before it was lowered to the floor, it was huge and had wrought Iron railings all the way round. You had to climb 4 steps to get onto it, it was so slippy and springy,

Stomping up and down those stairs brings back memories!

Fantastic floor.

Does size matter? Belle Vue, Ardwick was huge.

DW Mick

Social source share

I liked the dance floor in the modern room at Prestatyn, large so no crashing into fellow dancers.

Nice dance floor at the King Alfred Ballroom, Hove, large, but gets busy every month at the Hot Buttered Soul Night.

Wished the dancefloor at Soul Essence, GY, was larger as I hate dancing on carpet.

Worst sorry to say the Tent at Fleetwood.

Social source share

As a completely blatent attempt at advertising, here is a small piccie of the Eastbourne Town Hall dancefloor - hope to see some of you on 18th September???

Not been before, but im coming down for this one, will the DJ's be taking requests on the night? ;-)

Social source share

The Brighouse Ritz had by far and away for me the most incredible dancefloor. Flat as a pancake and no need for talc. A dream to dance on. Even in desert boots.

Second to that has to be the 100 club. On a good day. When those damn jazz heads haven't been soaking it in squash beforehand. I know it's got pits all over it. I know you can feel the ridges in your soles as you fly, but man, it can't half take some hammering.

The Ritz in Manchester used to be great as well about 7 years ago. It's sadly since lost its hold as the boards have started to warp. Often making you seasick as you wobble over them. Still miss that allnighter. It was great. What happened to it? Did Richard stop doing them with the arrival of the NC do? Shame if that's the case.

Social source share

BEST CURRENT DANCE FLOOR FOR ME IS BILLYS BEACH HOUSE SURFERS PARADISE QUEENSLAND , GREAT WOODEN FLOOR A TOP SECTION FOR THE GOOD DANCERS NOT MANY THEM SO ITS USUALLY EMPTY HA, BUT SLIDE ACROSS THE ROOM DOING THE KANGAROO STOMP WITH THE WAVES CRASHING ON TO THE BEACHJUSY OUT THE WINDOW AS THE SUN GOES DOWN ON THE PACIFIC OCEAN AM I JESTING WELL NOT TO LATE TO COME AND SURPORT THE 3 UK DJS COMING OUT FOR THE EVENT OF THE 7TH AUSTRALIAN NORTHERN SOUL WEEKENDER ON 8-9-10 OCTOBER AND THE GIG AT SURFERS PARADISE 8PM TILL 3AM ON THE 12 OCTOBER PS THE 3 UK DJS ARE STEVE CATO, BARRY SIMPSON & MIKE RITSON

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!