Best Sound By White Artist Played Upto 73

shelly

white pop or blue eyed soul

mod club record or nothern soul

rnb covers band or a SOUL band

spencer davies not soul or northern easy when you think about it

So by that you mean Sheffield tiffs nighters where not northern soul ? Spencer D played half dozen times at most i went too .biggrin.gif

Social source share

Sounds like they never played "soul" at the wheel or the flamingo club orvthe king mojo in the sixties (cos they were mod clubs)

I'm so sure that your right that soul music could only have been played at Wigan

When you scoff at artists such as georgie fame stevie winwood ect pop artists they may have become but there early stuff was like say the kinks and the faces stones and even the beatles was mainly rhythm and blues basic raw soul music

Yawn I'm off to listen to some real soul music perhaps what judy street or the flasher or some other manufactured Wigan crap"spike"

Oops forgot to write innbd type to really make my point

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Stirrin up Some Soul was played at Wigan late 73, remember (god knows how)being one of he first in one night with Gray, anyway as it was empty and it was one of the first records played, the sound virtually pinned us against the wall, and no it wasn't the DS in disguise!

No, with thought, the sound that pinned us against the wall was Sandy Nelson -Sock it to em JB, but the Marketts was next.

When was the Vogues - That's the Tune first aired?

Shelly

That reminds me, P.J.Proby "That's the Tune" and "Niki Hoeky"

Strawberry Jam - Personally

Offenbach - Judy In Disguise

All sound kinda shit now though, or perhaps they always did.

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Let's not get bittier or twisted, with 20/20 hindsight it is easy to critcise today what was played in the past, and there was some crap from both black and white artists.

The point is, call it blue eyed soul or whatever, I can guarantee the the majority of the sounds listed on this thread with a few exceptions, we thought were by black artists at the time, it was only at a later date did we find out that they were "white" did it matter, no because they were soulful records and we were all soul fans.

I didn't know till this thread that the O'Kaysions were white and I first heard that 40 year ago!

Edited by shelly
Social source share

white pop or blue eyed soul

mod club record or nothern soul

rnb covers band or a SOUL band

spencer davies not soul or northern easy when you think about it

Spencer Davies - played at nighters = Northern :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest roggert

spencer daviis group did cover versions of jackie edwards originals which were far far better but he wasnt white enough for the pop buying public in fact the t.v. program READY ,STEADY ,GO!did a christmas special of him and his songs including" my baby youve run away and leftme "-a soon to be released 45 in 1966/67 and the bastards poured BLACK snow over him !!!!!!

Edited by roggert
Social source share

Guest roggert

just thought on about a record that was on juke box jury on the BBC in the mid sixties, that was a hit at the wheel in 66/67 a group of white backing singers "THE LADYBIRDS "which was "A touch of velvet ,a sting of brass,semi instrumental vocals used as instruments. That was definitely pre 74!!!!!!!

Edited by roggert
Social source share

Let's not get bittier or twisted, with 20/20 hindsight it is easy to critcise today what was played in the past, and there was some crap from both black and white artists.

The point is, call it blue eyed soul or whatever, I can guarantee the the majority of the sounds listed on this thread with a few exceptions, we thought were by black artists at the time, it was only at a later date did we find out that they were "white" did it matter, no because they were soulful records and we were all soul fans.

I didn't know till this thread that the O'Kaysions were white and I first heard that 40 year ago!

That " bombshell " for me happened many years ago , when someone revealed that The O'Kaysions were white .

Up to then , I assumed they were black because of the " sound " of the record .

Malc

Social source share

That " bombshell " for me happened many years ago , when someone revealed that The O'Kaysions were white .

Malc

Still like this, I think it would have been late 70s when I found out there where white.:ohmy:

Social source share

Question

What where the best 3 sounds recorded and played by white artists up to 73? that cuts out a lot of the pop crap played at Wigan, I know you could fill this with Spencer Davis Group but....

My view

Rufus Lumley I'm Standing

Wayne Fontana Something Keeps Calling Me Back

Charlie Rich Love is After Me

Three great ones to start off with.:ohmy:

Edited by davetay
Social source share

Malc

I thought I had cloth ears Malc biggrin.gif never thought of these as anything other than white, especially when they sing the chorus.

Social source share

Alan Bown - Gonna Fix You Good / Emergency 999

O'Kaysions - Girl Watcher

Travis Wammack - Scratchy

Ronnie Milsap - Ain't No Soul

Frankie Vall - Opus 17

Human Beinz - Nobody But Me

Bob Brady - Everybody's Going To A Love - In

Chris Clark - From Head To Toe

Malc

Always hated Human Beinz and Travis Wammack, but love Bob Brady and O'Kaysions.:ohmy:

Social source share

Dean Parrish - Determination

and was Danny Wagner - "I Lost A True Love" a pre '73 spin ? Think it was

Great call "Determination"

I didn't know "I lost a true love " pre 73, but that means f++k all.

I got the LP for "This thing caled love" early 74, and when Wigan played " I lost...." later it was a bonus.

Edited by davetay
Social source share

THREE OF THE WORST

Guy Darrell I've Been Hurt

R Dean Taylor Ghost in My House

Relections Just Like Adam & Eve, though Just Like Romeo & Juliet was ok

One man's posion and all that,

I like J L A & E, but not keen on J L R & J,

Also still like G I M H, which was big in 73,.

Social source share

Stirrin up Some Soul was played at Wigan late 73, remember (god knows how)being one of he first in one night with Gray, anyway as it was empty and it was one of the first records played, the sound virtually pinned us against the wall, and no it wasn't the DS in disguise!

No, with thought, the sound that pinned us against the wall was Sandy Nelson -Sock it to em JB, but the Marketts was next.

When was the Vogues - That's the Tune first aired?

Shelly

1st heard the Vogues late 72 or early 73, and thinking WTF is this shite.

To me at the time it was the worst record I had heard at a soul do.

Of course that was to change when a year or two after Wigan had opened it's doors.:ohmy:

Social source share

Who was first onto Johnny Vanelli's romper-stomper, 'Seven days of loving you' on Pre-Vue...and when?

Proper Norvern!

:ohmy:

Ian Levine was the 1st DJ that I heard play it late summer 74, it was played at Wigan later.

Edited by davetay
Social source share

Guest jseegee

Nice one Mickey Lee Lane played a lot but i wasnt too keen personally but i hate to admit i didnt mind the Fife Piper bet that hasnt been played for years!

Social source share

Guest jseegee

Just thought of Dean Parrish--Skate Thought id hit the jackpot when i picked that up on Stateside in Sixties---Must be his worst tune i reckon. Anyone agree?

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Gene Latter - Sign On The Dotted Line

Jason Knight - Our Love Is Getting Stronger

Elvis Presley - Rubberneckin'

and I'm sure there was an Herb Alpert track but can't remember which one.

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Might have been Malc, can't remember now but I remember thinking all those years ago

Herb Alpert WTF! :)

Joking apart Dave , HA had a hand in writing a well - known NS track , but for the life of me , I cannot recall what it is at the time of typing ..... but it was on UK Pye .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

A few more

Beggin -Time Box and the Four Seasons, is this the only white sound covered by other white artists? I know you're going to prove me wrong.

Evie Sands - Picture Me Lonely

Bob Brady - More, More More of Your love

Lastly, the absolute worst , any dj who played this massacre of Darrell Banks ' immortal "Open the Door To Your Heart", should hold his head in shame

or as Larry Lightning used to say - Hanging Offence!!!

Shelly

Edited by shelly
Social source share

Sounds like they never played "soul" at the wheel or the flamingo club orvthe king mojo in the sixties (cos they were mod clubs)

I'm so sure that your right that soul music could only have been played at Wigan

When you scoff at artists such as georgie fame stevie winwood ect pop artists they may have become but there early stuff was like say the kinks and the faces stones and even the beatles was mainly rhythm and blues basic raw soul music

Yawn I'm off to listen to some real soul music perhaps what judy street or the flasher or some other manufactured Wigan crap"spike"

Oops forgot to write innbd type to really make my point

Off topic sorry,

I think we knew each other years ago although you are a bit younger,you're post re Arthur Dudly brought if back, Dave Peacock used to knock around with us in 74/75, did you go to the Old English Matlock?

Shelly Derby or Ripley!

Social source share

There is alot of records allready put up that I like here's a couple more

The Shakers "One Wonderful Moment"

Los Canarios "Get On Your Knees"

That should wake Swish up, I spent half of one night at the Torch with him telling me over and over again how he'd he'd discovered it at his sisters boyfriend s house, or was I more smashed than him?

Shelly

Social source share

Guest roggert

and the cover version by the trackers- hole in the wall released two weeks before george stones better version cos i bought both versions at their release but couldnt stand the trackers version after george stones played. 13 shillings and 8 pence yet bought mitch riders l.p. the same week with all his best hits for a quid more!!!an stevie wonders lp the week after with .love ago go and most of his best mod music tracks which became northern soul when they were re played seven years later

Edited by roggert
Social source share

O'Kaysions clip is magnificent! Still love this.

Indecent trouser alert though :shades: Reckon that's where the lead singer of Mud got his idea from. It always appalled our mam when they were on TOTP as she maintained "he's not wearing underpants the dirty bugger":ohmy:

Edited by PhilT
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Off topic sorry,

I think we knew each other years ago although you are a bit younger,you're post re Arthur Dudly brought if back, Dave Peacock used to knock around with us in 74/75, did you go to the Old English Matlock?

Shelly Derby or Ripley!

I can remember Dave Peacock, he was living in Hasland last I knew I think.

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!