Best Sound By White Artist Played Upto 73

shelly

also forgot but not unfortunately Lada Edmund Jr The Larue, recorded in 66 but not sure about the first playing.

Moss' 60th party today!

Lada Edmund is Black

The used a white girl to promote it, even with pictures but apparently the real singer is a black session singer

there is a history somewhere on here

Social source share

That's the Tune was deffo 73 at least, played by Soul Sam at Pendulum

Also played by Sam was the instrumental of the Rolling Stones - Lets Spend the Night Together

A couple more

Wayne Gibson - Under my Thumb

George Carrow - Angel Baby

Righteous Brothers Band - Rat Race

Barbara Mills - Queen of Fools

The Creation - I Got The Fever

Solomon King - This Beautiful Day

Social source share

Lada Edmund is Black

The used a white girl to promote it, even with pictures but apparently the real singer is a black session singer

there is a history somewhere on here

Sounds like wishful thinking to me, though I can't think why anyone would want to doubt it's her singing. Lada Edmund Jr was a go go dancer on the TV show Hullabaloo and is the epitome of 60s groovyness.

Compare the voices on this clip:

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

That's the Tune was deffo 73 at least, played by Soul Sam at Pendulum

Also played by Sam was the instrumental of the Rolling Stones - Lets Spend the Night Together

A couple more

Wayne Gibson - Under my Thumb

George Carrow - Angel Baby

Righteous Brothers Band - Rat Race

Barbara Mills - Queen of Fools

The Creation - I Got The Fever

Solomon King - This Beautiful Day

Forgot all about Solomon King. P.J. Proby's cut of That's the Tune was deffo Torch period.

The LA Power & Light Co - Let's Spend Some Time Together.

When was Shirtails first played, I remember it from early Wigan but can't remember when I first heard it.

https://poppacool.blogspot.com/2010/09/shirtails-i-want-you-to-stay-with-me.html

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Dalton Boys - I've Been Cheated

Debbie Dean - Why Am I Loving You

One of THE classic NS sides of all time :ohmy:

The DB were a country duo / act at the time of signing with Motown , and given the nature of the vocals on " IBC " , it was somewhat of a change from their normal renditions of songs in their act I would assume .

If I can get my printer to fettle and copy a photograph I have of them , I will post up it up .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

One of THE classic NS sides of all time :thumbsup:

The DB were a country duo / act at the time of signing with Motown , and given the nature of the vocals on " IBC " , it was somewhat of a change from their normal renditions of songs in their act I would assume .

If I can get my printer to fettle and copy a photograph I have of them , I will post up it up .

Malc

These 'em Malc ? :yes:

daltonboys.jpg

Social source share

These 'em Malc ? :thumbsup:

daltonboys.jpg

They look like the crowd when Jez and I DJ'd at Donnelly's birthday night last month :lol:

In respect of The Dalton Boys , here in all their glory , are that pair of jolly rascals .....

Malc

post-5097-0-19263100-1300387584_thumb.jp

Social source share

That's a first, story was that it was recorded by the Beatles as they where in the States at that time and had visited Motown and asked to do a number.

Owing to contractual obligations they couldn't use the name the Beatles etc.

Listen to the Oh Yeahs and almost a Mandolin in there....., I didn't know they did scouse in Detriot.

Anyway, a total lack of information about the "Dalton Boys", not suprising then that it was Alan Day who first played it.

Shelly

Social source share

Lada Edmund Jr is white, The Larue was released under her name on Decca 1966, if she actually recorded it then that's a new thread, "who recorded under false names or took some one elses work"

me thinks she actually sung it on the Andy Williams Show, will consult with Jack Bollington, he's ace on trivia.

There's nothing like us getting our priorities in the right order, I mean, Japan is in meltdown, we're off for another regime change/war because we backed the wrong horse in Libya and yet we're discussing the ethenticities of Lada Edmund Jr!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

That's a first, story was that it was recorded by the Beatles as they where in the States at that time and had visited Motown and asked to do a number.

Owing to contractual obligations they couldn't use the name the Beatles etc.

Listen to the Oh Yeahs and almost a Mandolin in there....., I didn't know they did scouse in Detriot.

Anyway, a total lack of information about the "Dalton Boys", not suprising then that it was Alan Day who first played it.

Shelly

Where has this story originated from ? The Dalton Boys are The Beatles ? sorry , but it is as far fetched as manure from China .

The vocal phrasings on " IBC " are nothing like the vocal phrasings of the main Beatle vocalists , i.e. Lennon and McCartney , nowhere near the vocal strains of Harrison , and certainly a million miles from the singing " style " of Ringo on recordings that were made around the same time as " IBC " .

Slightly confused regarding your comment associating a lack of information about TDB with alan Day first playing it : care to enlighten us ?

Malc

Social source share

Lada Edmund Jr is white, The Larue was released under her name on Decca 1966, if she actually recorded it then that's a new thread, "who recorded under false names or took some one elses work"

me thinks she actually sung it on the Andy Williams Show, will consult with Jack Bollington, he's ace on trivia.

There's nothing like us getting our priorities in the right order, I mean, Japan is in meltdown, we're off for another regime change/war because we backed the wrong horse in Libya and yet we're discussing the ethenticities of Lada Edmund Jr!

I still don't get why people think it's not her singing. She sounds the same on all of her records. Maybe your getting her mixed up with the Beatles as they were a bunch of black guys who dressed themselves up as the Dalton Boys in order to sell more records in Japan and Libya. As far as made up words go though, 'ethenticities' is right up there. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Malc

Story was that back in 73 when it was first played by Alan Day and no info was available, reliable sources who had recently been to the US came back with this story, and without seeing their pics and listening, it's not that too far off! but again, depends on the acoustics where you are. Plus Alan was up yo all sorts of tricks!

Personally. glad you've cleared this up.

Shelly

Edited by shelly
Social source share

Mr Godzilla

First of all apologise for my typo, it should read ethnicty's

I understand your comments to some extent, but as you weren't at the all nighters when the said records where first played; they didn't let people in the Torch in short tousers( you birth year is 1959 according to your profile) so lets not get too agressive here and your comments about selling into Libya/Japan are misguided irrespective of politics..

This was a thread to awaken all to the amount of white recorded sounds we danced too and in reality didn't realise it.

There are c 100 different sounds mentioned so far , and as this is prior to 1973 then it is of interest to some of us. Wigan increased this by a factor of N+ ,hence it's general omission.

However, given the quality of most of the contributions, I'd say this was an anorak devoid thread and one of interest to those of us who discovered sounds a long time after we danced to them.

Andre Brassuer - The Kid

Shelly

Social source share

Guest moggy

When did Kiki Dee Magic Carpet make its debut :hatsoff2: and the Young Rascals Groovin did this ever get plays :thumbsup:

Tony Colton I stand accused huh.gif was this a pre 73 knowing me it was pre 83 :lol::sleep3:

Edited by moggy
Social source share

Godzilla,

Ignore my rambling above, had about a zillion + 1 pints yesterday watching that shower of shit that is supposed to be Englands rugby team.

No offence meant.

Shelly

No sweat Shelly - I was only joshing with you anyway. Did manage to find a pic of me in short pants at Twisted Wheel though :hatsoff2:

baggyPantGodzilla2POSTER2.jpg

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last one promise,

? & the Mysterions - 96 Tears

I reckon there's a hundred plus different sounds mentioned on this thread, so in reality could have a mini niter listening to "white artists", all we need to now is to discover that stash of White bombers hidden under a chicken shed near Crewe.

Shelly

Edited by shelly
Social source share

Good Jazz record, and I wasnt around so... but is this really northern rather than just a mod jaz record played in the same clubs?

There's a cover version of this that's being doin the rounds recently, it's on one of the other forums and nowhere near as good a version.

Shelly

Social source share

Last one promise,

? & the Mysterions - 96 Tears

I reckon there's a hundred plus different sounds mentioned on this thread, so in reality

could have a mini niter listening to "white

artists", all we need to now is to discover that

stash of White bombers hidden under a

chicken shed near Crewe.

If the chickens have pecked and eaten all those bombers would they make a good finger lickin chicken zzz zinger burger?

Shelly

Social source share

• 2 months later...

Julian Covay & the Machine - Little Bit Hurt, when was that first played,68? An absolute monster at 3am with half a dozen g&c's in the early days

Roggert please answer.

And those of you old enough, don't say you didn't dance to this - Woolly Bully - Sam the Sham & the Pharaohs, because you'll be lying.

Shelly

Social source share

Stirrin up Some Soul was played at Wigan late 73, remember (god knows how)being one of he first in one night with Gray, anyway as it was empty and it was one of the first records played, the sound virtually pinned us against the wall, and no it wasn't the DS in disguise!

No, with thought, the sound that pinned us against the wall was Sandy Nelson -Sock it to em JB, but the Marketts was next.

When was the Vogues - That's the Tune first aired?

Shelly

STIRRIN was deffo/deffo late Torch...

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

actually the cover of johnny wyatt this thing called love was first played off the l.p-i lopst a true love must have been 76/77

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

anybody ever hear bobby vee's version of virginia blakelys let nobody love you, i did a few times

Social source share

Always thought that the o kaysons who sung girl watcher were a black group until someone gave me a DVD last summer with loads of 6ts acts on it!

As always it's a case of live n learn

Nice little

Fast dance toon though for these olde legs to get moving to!!

Spike

Social source share

anybody ever hear bobby vee's version of virginia blakelys let nobody love you, i did a few times

I have put it on refosoul, hopefully it will be back on soon ! it's nice and a couple of other Bobby V's tunes.

Social source share

Kick that little foot Sally Anne - Round Robin (they sound white anyway LOL)

Stop and you'll become aware - Helen Shapiro

Alvins gotta boogaloo - Alvin Cash and the Registers

AND

I'm going to run away from you - Kiki Dee

Edited by DanDare
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest roggert

at the wheel in 66-68 the best white artists were BREAK OUT and all the other tracks on the breakout l.p.-mitch ryderan the detroit wheels , scratchy - by travis womack , touch of vevet,sting of brass by the ladybirds. 68 70 the fife piper -a walt disney theme tune for a t. v prog an all mike posts insrumentals

Social source share

at the wheel in 66-68 the best white artists were BREAK OUT and all the other tracks on the breakout l.p.-mitch ryderan the detroit wheels , scratchy - by travis womack , touch of vevet,sting of brass by the ladybirds. 68 70 the fife piper -a walt disney theme tune for a t. v prog an all mike posts insrumentals

A very thin dividing like with this one , as they were Spanish ........ Los Canarios " Get On Your Knees "

Malc

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

This came up in a zillion pint conversation last night, Bill Black's Combo -Little Queenie, I never dreamt they where white.

Also, not mentioned before Bob Kuban-The Cheater,

Lastly, Alvin Cash and the Register(nee Crawlers) are not white and never where.

Shelly

Social source share

This came up in a zillion pint conversation last night, Bill Black's Combo -Little Queenie, I never dreamt they where white.

Also, not mentioned before Bob Kuban-The Cheater,

Lastly, Alvin Cash and the Register(nee Crawlers) are not white and never where.

Shelly

BB and the members of his combo , were indeed white . BB was the bass player .

Not sure as to who played the sax on " LQ " : it was either Martin Wills , or Ace Cannon .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

BB and the members of his combo , were indeed white . BB was the bass player .

Not sure as to who played the sax on " LQ " : it was either Martin Wills , or Ace Cannon .

Malc

Backed Elvis in the early days, also heard that Steve Cropper and his mates got involved at some stage, but not sure

Shelly

Edited by shelly
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Michael Macdonald - God knows

Kiki Dee - The day will come between........

Dana Valery - You don't know where your interest lies

And

Mickie Moonshine - name it you got it

Oh and Bobby Paris - I walked away

All these are post 73, surely... ?

Social source share

Kick that little foot Sally Anne - Round Robin (they sound white anyway LOL)

Stop and you'll become aware - Helen Shapiro

Alvins gotta boogaloo - Alvin Cash and the Registers

AND

I'm going to run away from you - Kiki Dee

Really suprised to see helen shapiro in there. I always associate it with the dreadful british label pop boom of 1978 by the likes of nev wherry and keith minshull.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!