Spanky Wilson

Anyone got a copy of the Spanky Wilson LP (original issue) with the track "Sunshine Of My Love" on it, to sell ?

Thanks in advance for any help ....Brett

Edited by Brett
Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 61
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Anyone got a copy of the Spanky Wilson LP (original issue) with the track "Sunshine Of My Love" on it, to sell ?

Brilliant tune Brett :D

Social source share

Brilliant tune Brett :D

Yeah Baz mate ask Pete Smith (Lagerlout from Leeds...not that other fella') about me playing it 78 times in a row on his CD player when we all went to Keele..........you know that time when he left me high and dry..........i was like little Lord Fauntleroy....all top hat and spats crying in my soup, untill Andy Mc Cabe took me to Mancs next morning :D

Prefer the Ella Fitzgerald version meself

I'd buy that off you Joe, but you and Smithy would only lose it........ :D

Edited by Brett
Social source share

Yeah Baz mate ask Pete Smith (Lagerlout from Leeds...not that other fella') about me playing it 78 times in a row on his CD player when we all went to Keele..........you know that time when he left me high and dry..........i was like little Lord Fauntleroy....all top hat and spats crying in my soup, untill Andy Mc Cabe took me to Mancs next morning :D

:D

Social source share

:D

I blame you both... I was definately the most sober of the three, and I placed it in his hands...

Did you try lost property?

Get out of town, i blame you two wild cats......i'm the innocent party, a few quid out of pocket and some refugee has a great vinyl 45'...that he/she is trying to play on their IPOD......................

Or Vaultofsouler?

Edited by Brett
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i like "i'll be happy" off that album and have played "light my fire " at many a mod do

couple of the tracks on 7" including "you " "sunshine " and a fabled single of "light my fire "

Davie

Social source share

i like "i'll be happy" off that album and have played "light my fire " at many a mod do

couple of the tracks on 7" including "you " "sunshine " and a fabled single of "light my fire "

Davie

Dave was Sunshine released on a 7'...i didn't know that, please confirm?

Brett

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Dave was Sunshine released on a 7'...i didn't know that, please confirm?

Brett

i understand it was brett .... one of the funk boys could confirm 100% but yes my understanding is it was ....bloody rare though i think

Davie

i understand it was brett .... one of the funk boys could confirm 100% but yes my understanding is it was ....bloody rare though i think ...oh and it was re-issued on BGP as well

Davie

Social source share

Can't help unfortunately, as I'm after a copy myself, what a tune :D

Social source share

I have the Sharon Cash LP on Mothers and Snarf Company and have seen many times the "YOU" version by Spanky Wilson, but i never thought ""Sunshine" was ever released as a 45'...

guess thats what makes this scene so exciting, you never know everything.....

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Don't know the one you're on about but her 'Speciality Of The House' does it for me every time. Choon.

is that one of the ones on westbound ?

Davie

I have the Sharon Cash LP on Mothers and Snarf Company and have seen many times the "YOU" version by Spanky Wilson, but i never thought ""Sunshine" was ever released as a 45'...

i pretty sure it was brett ..... i've spent enough time looking for it lol

Davie

Social source share

Hell, lets talk about what a brilliant vocal performance this is, i know Joe mentioned Ella's version ( it indeed is superlative), but in all seriousness the Spanky Wilson "cut" is simply earth moving and a "Tour De Force" in vocal movement, it simply transcends what pure Soul singers are about.....Emotion, Feeling and Conviction........the building blocks of life.........

Spanky you are all right by me.....

Social source share

Any chance of a snippet of it from anyone/anywhere? I'm interested to hear it.

I've got it on a Hed Kandi CD went to look for it and rip it onto here but the CD was missing!!!!!

Social source share

I've defo seen a "Sunshine" on 7" Brett.

A real copy of Doin It went through ebay a couple of weeks ago... will look up what it finally made :D

Social source share

I've defo seen a "Sunshine" on 7" Brett.

A real copy of Doin It went through ebay a couple of weeks ago... will look up what it finally made :D

Jesus ,Dave this is a top want of mine, never knew (though suspected it would have been released on 7')

for certain, all my leads led to the LP....

Brett

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

$122

thats a good price .... i was quoted about £125 but got mine from the owner of the local record exchange for a fiver :D ..... i'll post the full tune once i've converted it ..

at the same time i was looking for the patti drew version of "fever" another crackin tune ( again rumoured to be on 7" but sceptical on that )

Davie

Edited by dundeedavie
Social source share

thats a good price .... i was quoted about £125 but got mine from the owner of the local record exchange for a fiver :D ..... i'll post the full tune once i've converted it

Davie

No offence Davie, but you're sure it wasn't the "clone" he sold you....??

Paid about 50 for mine if I recall :D

Dave, you know me....i'll get it on the 45'............ :D

LOL!!

Start saving mate :D

PM'd you

Social source share

I got album somewere?,one side the label is a picture of Spanky,dont know if original,dont know were it is either.....and no i cant be botherd finding it..... :D

Social source share

Have enjoyed this brief thread immensley, but i have drunk a fair amount of Shiraz Cabernet....and am uncertain if i am wearing a short sleeved ....or long sleeved cotton top.....all though not particularly alarming to anyone else.........believe me this is a pivotal question to my good self at this hour of the night.....

Social source share

I got album somewere?,one side the label is a picture of Spanky,dont know if original,dont know were it is either.....and no i cant be botherd finding it..... :D

Kenneth........have pity on me.....i need this in my life........

Social source share

Don't know the one you're on about but her 'Speciality Of The House' does it for me every time. Choon.

This has been a great thread to read :D , but this choon is awesome, first time ive ever heard it.

Any advise on release 7" lp & price ect ect , i have to have this. Many thanks for putting this up Dodger........thats made my night

Garv.

Edited by garv
Social source share

thats a good price .... i was quoted about £125 but got mine from the owner of the local record exchange for a fiver :D .

Davie ,

Would that've been Groucho's? I'm an ex-resident of Dundee myself picked up many a record in Grouchos & Rockpile too.

Derek

Davie

Social source share

That's interesting that, had the LP for ages, Sunshine is a massive track down the club. By far and away the best on the album. I've NEVER seen the 45, and that's including all mi Mod days, when I'm certain all them guys would have picked it up. Love to see the scan. But then we never thought Eddie Jefferson's Psychedelic Sally was on 7 till a friend showed it me.

When I was in the Orange County record fair, I picked up Ella's version on a BASF (yes the same tape company) demo for $12. Mark Ellis has it now. In a stuuuuuupid swap. Must be hard that

If you're into that Brett, I'd check out a little Swedish lady from '70 simply called Doris. Her 'Did You Give The World Some Love Today?' LP is a funk/soul classic. Two DYNAMITE sides off there, 'Don't' and 'Beatmaker' both out-there dancefloor funk genius. But when they re-issued the CD, they put loadas of great unissued stuff on, including a version of Mama Didn't Lie that's far more beautiful than the Jan Bradley original.... On ODEON records if you're interested. She was pretty cute as well......

Social source share

Kenneth........have pity on me.....i need this in my life........

I need a life!!,and untill i find one me records are just in the way!!,but if i happen to see it i will email you Brett,but dont hold ya` breath kid!!,sure some nicer person will find you one?...... :D Ken

Social source share

wow...nice arras brett

never heard that version before but it is brilliant

can't be too many times a black soul/jazz artist has covered a song by a white British rock group. Maybe they ought todo it more often!

i'd only heard it by cream and hendrix before

think this is better though

post-118-1127894690_thumb.jpg

Social source share

wow...nice arras brett

never heard that version before but it is brilliant

can't be too many times a black soul/jazz artist has covered a song by a white British rock group. Maybe they ought todo it more often!

i'd only heard it by cream and hendrix before

think this is better though

Fifth dimention,do it... :D

Social source share

Hi All,

Just joined the site and noticed this thread so i thought i'd add a bit..

Spanky Wilson is Available on a reissue 45 on BGP it has Sunshine of your love and You on it..

The 5th Dimension is on Liberty ...

BUT if you want what i think is the best version It has to be the late great Long John Baldry on the Album 'Let the heartaches begin' and on a greatest hits reissue.

I might have a spare Spanky Wilson 45 if anybody is interested and also have a spare Long john Baldry greatest hits L.P. with the track on..

if anybody wants to hear the LJB version e-mail me and i'll mp3 it over to ya! northernray@btinternet.com

Hope this helps

NorthernRay.

Social source share

I'm pretty sure Spanky's Sunshine was never issued on 45 originally. I'd need for someone to say they had it to believe it.

& I've seen quite a few DJs playing the bootleg LP, it looks and feels very similar to the real one.

I have heard that the Long John Baldry version got a euro 45 release, anyone confirm? It's a great version IMO.

THe Ella version is actually quite cheap & easy to find on BASF, Polydor or MPS 45. It got released all over.

Edited by mik parry
Social source share