Embers

Blake H

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

How anyone rates this above the (nothing less than sublime) Jerry Butler version is beyond me. It's rare because it didn't sell. And it didn't sell cos it's an inferior version.

Can anyone tell me about the Embers "Aware of love" track on the Dream Dancers CD? My guess is its a dog rare 45 (they always are!!) A mate says its a lp track. Any info much appreciated. BH :D:D:D
Social source share

How anyone rates this above the (nothing less than sublime) Jerry Butler version is beyond me. It's rare because it didn't sell. And it didn't sell cos it's an inferior version.

not saying i disagree vis a vis the versions but your argument is a bit flawed, matt

the sun is a brilliant daily newspaper because it sells the most copies?

Edited by Dan
Social source share

Can anyone tell me about the Embers "Aware of love" track on the Dream Dancers CD? My guess is its a dog rare 45 (they always are!!) A mate says its a lp track. Any info much appreciated. BH :D:D:D

YEP LP TRACK ONLY, IF NO-ONE SOLVES THIS SOON LOOK AT CHICS PLAYLIST AUGUST GREATSTONE THREAD BECAUSE HE DEFINITELY PLAYED IT.

I'M FIRMLY ENTRENCHED IN THE JERRY BUTLER CAMP.

IT WAS BSIDE OF MOON RIVER ON COLUMBIA UK ,VEEJAY US ISSUES.

LP IS ON 'EEE' RECORDS ....THAT'S ALL I CAN FIND OUT RIGHT NOW..ANYMORE I'LL LET YOU KNOW.

Edited by bearsoul
Social source share

YEP LP TRACK ONLY, IF NO-ONE SOLVES THIS SOON LOOK AT CHICS PLAYLIST AUGUST GREATSTONE THREAD BECAUSE HE DEFINITELY PLAYED IT.

I'M FIRMLY ENTRENCHED IN THE JERRY BUTLER CAMP.

IT WAS BSIDE OF MOON RIVER ON COLUMBIA UK ,VEEJAY US ISSUES.

LP IS ON 'EEE' RECORDS ....THAT'S ALL I CAN FIND OUT RIGHT NOW..ANYMORE I'LL LET YOU

Sorry Chris ......But its on a EEE 45 also..The flip to.."just crazy about you baby" as it was released twice..This is the rarer release of the two obviously..I sold my copy last year for £250.. issue..can get the cat number if you require it.Never realy see it for sale though.

RARE ONE

regards The Gasher :D

Social source share

as gasher says it is a 45 on eEe - cat no 69000

had one, sold it, haven't seen too many others!

I'M HAPPY TO BE CORRECTED, ALWAYS KEEN TO LEARN SOMETHING NEW......DO I GET THE JOB......JUST JESTING...TA GUYS....THAT 'CHIC' SAID IT WAS LP ONLY......OR PERHAPS HE SAID IT WAS HIS ONLY LP? I WAS VERY, VERY DRUNK CHRIS M :D

Social source share

I thought "Aware Of Love" on EEE was the flip to "Burn you a new one"?

Just Crazy About You released initially with We've come a long way together on the flip and then later released on EEE with Far away places on the flip? If Aware Of Love was also issued on the flip to Just crazy about you that makes three issues and also a Carolina boot on BMR.

As for better version each to there own whistling.gif

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

TO QUOTE THE AUDIENCE OF A WELL KNOWN AMERICAN TALK -SHOW !!!

"JERRY,JERRY,JERRY,JERRY,JERRY"

Richard

Social source share

"Aware Of Love" definately came out on EEE as the B side to one of the two issues of "Just Crazy About You Baby" and I also played it at the Greatstone but on the 7" single and not the LP. The Embers LP that "Aware" is on is called "Burn You A New One" which I think came out in 1967. I also have the Jerry Butler version of "Aware Of Love" on a Vee Jay artrist of the week 6 record pack promoting his album "Jerry Butler ESQ". These 7" singles all play at 33 1/3 and also included in the pack are the unused Juke box strips and a great picture of Jerry looking pretty cool. As for the best version I have played them both in various spots over the years but for me the Embers just wins by a nose.

Hope this helps

Keith

Social source share

"Aware Of Love" definately came out on EEE as the B side to one of the two issues of "Just Crazy About You Baby" and I also played it at the Greatstone but on the 7" single and not the LP. The Embers LP that "Aware" is on is called "Burn You A New One" which I think came out in 1967. I also have the Jerry Butler version of "Aware Of Love" on a Vee Jay artrist of the week 6 record pack promoting his album "Jerry Butler ESQ". These 7" singles all play at 33 1/3 and also included in the pack are the unused Juke box strips and a great picture of Jerry looking pretty cool. As for the best version I have played them both in various spots over the years but for me the Embers just wins by a nose.

Hope this helps

Keith

So Just crazy about you came out three times if you include the re-issue on EEE.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

not saying i disagree vis a vis the versions but your argument is a bit flawed, matt

the sun is a brilliant daily newspaper because it sells the most copies?

Dan. Some records were tragically undersold regardless of their quality, due to distribution, numbers pressed etc. I think this undersold for the simple fact that it wasn't widely percieved to be as good as Jerry's. Same to my ears.

Social source share

Can anyone tell me about the Embers "Aware of love" track on the Dream Dancers CD? My guess is its a dog rare 45 (they always are!!) A mate says its a lp track. Any info much appreciated. BH :):(:(

Album available on John Manships site at £150.00 entitled "BURN YOU A NEW ONE"

or pm me for a cheaper copy

Doug

:P:(

Social source share

Dan. Some records were tragically undersold regardless of their quality, due to distribution, numbers pressed etc. I think this undersold for the simple fact that it wasn't widely percieved to be as good as Jerry's. Same to my ears.

hmmm. you may be right matt. i was simply pointing out that there isn't necessarily the logical procession between quality and sales that you were suggesting.

more, though, i'm suspicious of sophisticated (i'm not being sarcastic by the way!) 2005 British soul fans making this sort of judgment because our perceptions of the 'quality' of a record are necessarily seen through our prejudices. that's fair enough for our purposes but i don't think it's a particularly useful method of describing sales failures 40 years, 4,000 miles and a culture away. i think the embers 45 is rare because it was an obscure, under-promoted b-side released locally on an a-side which had already been pressed.

i agree that jerry butler is much better though!

yours

professor pompous

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!