Boomerang Canal Tavern Thorne

Guest karen b

Guest karen b

Let me be the first to say a very big THANK YOU to all the people who came to The Tavern last night.hatsoff2.gif

with so much on I was somewhat overwhelmed to see such a full house, it certainly got hot!sweatingbullets.gif

Together with massive thanks to our Guest DJs, yes.gif Dave Thorley, Val Challoner and Arthur Fenn, and my co-promoter

and friend Maria Othumbup.gif

Hopefully won't be too long before playlists are posted pleaseinnocent.gif

I had a great time laughing,laugh.gif smiling, chatting, dancing and listening to some serious quality soul music,wub.gif

with some lovely people, friends old and new.thumbsup.gif

So until the Boomerang comes back in May, Thanks.

Karen xxx

• Replies 30
  • Views 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

With so much going on I expected numbers to be down with many regulars having commitments elsewhere this weekend.

Any worries though were unfounded as it was pretty much full :ohmy:

Had a great night, in great company with some fantastic music from all the DJ's, Maria, Arthur and especially the two guest Val and Dave who treated us to some fantastic music :yes:

Nice to see Steve Kilgour, (one of the original promoters of the Tavern back in the 80's alongside Gary Welsh) again and Mary Chapman as well busily looking through and buying records :lol:

Well done Karen and Maria, see you in May at the best Soul Night in the country (all IMO of course) :no:

Had a great night last night,thanks to the lovely Miss Hamilton for the lift :D

Great music in fantastic company

Was lovely to meet Louise,sorry I couldnt remember the time before....I must have been preoccupied with my poppers,was amazed your hubby recognised me with my clothes on whistling.gif:lol:

xx

Guest Derbyshire Bint

What a great night. :lol:

Just to echo previous comments what a good turn out !! I wasn't expecting it to be quite as busy as it was......but it was!! :lol:

Socially..had a really good time chatting with peeps that I hadn't seen in a while, together with friends I see more often.

Musically my wants list has grown, I heard some lovely choons from all the dj's. thumbsup.gif

Only downside was that I was driving!!!!!!............a fact that was commented on by several people who know me fairly well, having seen the J2O in my mitts, rather than the usual pint of bitter . :D

Arthur.. having listened to Tin Man, why can't someone do a soul version of Ventura Highway? do do do do, ..do do do do,

Really looking forward to the next one in May :D

Vicki

Boomerang never fails to deliver, quality music, place and people.

I thought it might have been a bit quiet due to a lot other events going on. Not a bit of it, this place was hot. (It was certainly hot up there on that stage I can tell you)

I would just like to give a great big thank you to that dynamic duo Maria and Karen for asking me to play a few of my records. I really did enjoy myself; you guys at Boomerang are such an appreciative crowd.

Val

p.s. thanks for all messages and the kind comments it means a lot.

Edited by Val (Chunky)

Well done folks, top nite what I can remember of it! Well worth the £65 return taxi trip!! :ohmy:

And.... sorry for being a deck pest Dave. I just get a little over-excited sometimes..... :lol:

Hey, me & Captain's companions for the evening (Wends & Jackie) were Boomerang virgins and had a reet proper fab time too. Spread the word! (etc etc)

Anyway, I forgot my buns. If anyone picked them up can you please email them to me.

Can we make the all dayer a foam party?

As everyone has said, a great night, busier than was expected with some excellent music. Did most of my dancing early on. Later the floor was wet, was that condensation? Thanks to Dave Thorley for playing Florence Trapp and to Arthur for Kae Williams; and to Maria for playing Magic Corner, did feel slightly exposed on the dance floor, why was I the only one dancing to it? Big thanks to Martin for driving, and to Pete and Liz for their company. Kept dozing off on the way home on Sunday, still tired now. Good to see all my other friends too.

I've got my ticket for Sam's birthday party and booked room at Thorne Central Guest House, accommodation in Thorne may be a bit tight for that one. As Chalky said it is the best soul club in the country, imo of course. Thanks to all concerned for a great night. Please keep up the good work.

Well the drive from northants with my mates Len and John and my other half was well worth it as we were treated to a night of fantastic music plus a very friendly appreciative crowd.

Roll on May as we will certainly be back. !!!

Andy

And.... sorry for being a deck pest Dave. I just get a little over-excited sometimes..... :ohmy:

'Deck Pest' - What a fantastic way of describing it! Lol

Our crowd had a blast and really enjoyed the great blend of tunes played, Some we didn't know, some we did know and some we thought we knew! - All professionally 'spliced' in together by the DJ's.

Oh no, just realised I went on the stage twice!...How many times do you need to go up to qualify as a 'Deck Pest'?...Please don't say twice! Lol

All the best,

Len.

"I am playing the right records, but not necessarily in the right order!!!"

Well after a long break (maybe 15 years or more !!) my return visit to the Canal Tavern in Thorne was absolutely AWESOME!!!

You Thorne Birds wink.gif Karen & Maria ( ok not strictly from Thorne but you know what I'm getting at) sure know how to throw a fantastic dooooo!! You went out of your way to make everyone feel welcome with big hugs on the door, welcoming smiles, delicious buns wink.gif & naughty sweets :lol: You were considerate & caring promoters throughout the evening right down to the touching thank you that Maria gave over the mike at the end of the night. It really moved me the effort that you ladies must go to so a big thank you from me for making mine & the West Yorkshire Crews visit so enjoyable thumbup.gif

On to the music now. It was joy to my ears & heaven to my feet (gosh that sounds a bit oversentimental doesn't it rolleyes.gif ) but I cant think of the right words to describe how brilliant the music was so that will have to do for now. It was a great mixture of unknowns, knowns from all era's & the odd classic. Thank you whoever played Jesse James as I think it was Thorne where I first heard the track so that was a nice flashback, for me.

All the d.j's played fantastic sets but special hats off to Val & Dave !! :yes:

Val – I reckon "you know who" would sound great doing a version of Stepping Stone wink.gif:) Excellent spot ... again !! :no:

Dave – that Impact track was awesome. What is the rest of the title as when I took a photo of the record (didn't have a pen handy) it missed off the last word. I've got Don't let him take away your Mi so could it be mind ? minx :g: mixer :g: ........ or even mixed starter :D

Once again thank you to all concerned for a fabulous & hot :D night down at the Tavern. See you all in May

Ali x

P.S. If Elaine is lurking :) It was lovely to meet you, Sue & Paul.

P.P.S The camera was out again so I'll load the photo's in the gallery later. The prize for getting in the most photos goes to Martin :D with the runner up prize going to Karen W :D

Edited by Alison H

Well after a long break (maybe 15 years or more !!) my return visit to the Canal Tavern in Thorne was absolutely AWESOME!!!

You Thorne Birds wink.gif Karen & Maria ( ok not strictly from Thorne but you know what I'm getting at) sure know how to throw a fantastic dooooo!! You went out of your way to make everyone feel welcome with big hugs on the door, welcoming smiles, delicious buns wink.gif & naughty sweets :lol: You were considerate & caring promoters throughout the evening right down to the touching thank you that Maria gave over the mike at the end of the night. It really moved me the effort that you ladies must go to so a big thank you from me for making mine & the West Yorkshire Crews visit so enjoyable thumbup.gif

On to the music now. It was joy to my ears & heaven to my feet (gosh that sounds a bit oversentimental doesn't it rolleyes.gif ) but I cant think of the right words to describe how brilliant the music was so that will have to do for now. It was a great mixture of unknowns, knowns from all era's & the odd classic. Thank you whoever played Jesse James as I think it was Thorne where I first heard the track so that was a nice flashback, for me.

All the d.j's played fantastic sets but special hats off to Val & Dave !! :yes:

Val – I reckon "you know who" would sound great doing a version of Stepping Stone wink.gif:) Excellent spot ... again !! :no:

Dave – that Impact track was awesome. What is the rest of the title as when I took a photo of the record (didn't have a pen handy) it missed off the last word. I've got Don't let him take away your Mi so could it be mind ? minx :g: mixer :g: ........ or even mixed starter :D

Once again thank you to all concerned for a fabulous & hot :D night down at the Tavern. See you all in May

Ali x

P.S. If Elaine is lurking :) It was lovely to meet you, Sue & Paul.

P.P.S The camera was out again so I'll load the photo's in the gallery later. The prize for getting in the most photos goes to Martin :D with the runner up prize going to Karen W :D

'Mind' is the one your missing, nice Marvin Gayeish sound. That's the word, clearly not saying you've lost it.....:D

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Dave Thorley

'Mind' is the one your missing, nice Marvin Gayeish sound. That's the word, clearly not saying your lost it it.....biggrin.gif

Cheers

Dave

Oh I am disappointed Dave as I quite liked the idea of a song called "Dont let him take away your mixed starter" :yes:

You were right the first time also ..... I have lost my mind :D (Val can vouch for that :no: )

Fabulous musical choices, thoroughly enjoyed your set thumbsup.gif Cheers x

Edited by Alison H

Nice to see Steve Kilgour, (one of the original promoters of the Tavern back in the 80's alongside Gary Welsh)

As you know, for the old decades of Thorne, I was souling my weekends away thousands of miles away :lol:

So thanks for letting me know about Steve - I have added his name to our 'Canal Tavern' website page which acknowledges past promoters of the venue:

https://www.boomerangsoul.co.uk/canal.htm

----

My heartfelt thanks goes out to everyone who enjoyed themselves on Saturday at Boomerang. Alongside the music by our guests, that's always our greatest buzz.

We would never book a DJ just because they attended the venue, but I think it helps boost their best efforts when they feel at home. So for me personally, both special guest DJs Dave and Val played the best dj spot I've ever heard from them. Not sure I'd call any mere male a 'god' Dave, but it still surprises me why we don't see Val's name on more flyers. Also thanks to Arthur for allowing us (as if he really had a choice :wave: ) to weave his time on the decks in short bursts between others and I'm sure there were even some new tunes to my ears. All 3 had them sweltering on the floor!

Hopefully we should get all playlists up over the next few days, so we can then return to that special feeling when the brain cells start letting us down.

Met some FANTASTIC people on Saturday night as well as seeing many friends on our 4 year anniversary night. Thought Karen and I had a stalker at one point, but he was only following the sweetie jar round.

I did warn everyone that my memory was going after working too many hours lately, so maybe the windows which help alleviate the regular condensation could have been opened earlier (sorry) :hatsoff2: but the heat from the ladies on the floor was set higher than usual too me thinks.

Struggled to remember how to put a record on, but the decks seemed to suddenly work fine when I stopped trying to play any of my sentimental Aussie issues (Karen actually suggested they spin backwards this side of the planet ...but warning from me: don't try this at home kids).

Anyway, one of us should start the ball rolling with playlists and if it's me, it gives me a good excuse to nag the boys:

The Informers - Baby, Set Me Free (Blackjack)

Sea Shells - Quiet Home (Villige)

Bits & Pieces - You Should Have Told Me (Paramount)

Flowers - For Real (Laxpressio)

Natural Impulse - She Went Away (Natural Impulse)

Natural Impulse - We're Gonna Make it Through' (Soul Junction)

Ujima - I'm Not Ready (Epic)

Dee Dee Warwick - Funny How We Change Places (Private Stock, Oz)

Irma Thomas - What Are You Trying To (Imperial)

William Cummings - Make My Love A Hurting Thing (Bang Bang)

The Ringleaders - Baby, What Has Happened To Our Love (m-pac!)

Purple Mundi - Stop Hurting Me Baby (Cat)

Belita Woods - Magic Corner (Moira)

Out Of Sights - For The Rest Of My Life (Saru)

The Martineques - If You Want To Call Me (Me-O)

Ron Harrington - It Happened To Me Today (Hillside)

Richard Caiton - I Like To Get Near You (Up Tight)

Third Eye - Cosmos Universal Band (API Atteiram)

The Hamilton Movement - She's Gone (Look-Out)

The Inspirations - Your Wish Is My Command (Midas)

The Attractions - You Don't Know Boy (June Bug)

Tommy & the Derby's - Don't Play the Role (Swing)

Jerry Williams - If You Ask Me (Because I Love You) (Calla)

Betty Wilson and The 4 Bars - I'm Yours (Dayco)

The Four Voices - Your Love Is Getting Stronger (Voice)

Thank you again,

m

p.s. Still tickled to pick up that Ron Harrington (the record, not the bloke) ...blew me away and sounds even better now!!!

Edited by Maria O

Another brilliant night at "Boomerang". The evening went by in a flash. Fantastic music, from all the DJ's with something for everyone.

I had that "tired, hungover but happy feeling" all day Sunday. Hotel room already booked for the next one (Thanks Mr Fleming) see you all again in May.

Gotta rain check August though, away on holiday.................................

Play list

Colt 45's - Lady lady - Jerry

Del Rays Inc. - She's trippin on you c/u

Florence Trapp - Love came into my life - You & I

Jewel - Paradise - Jewel Productions

Ice Band featuring Unique pleasure - Live people - Walking Tall

Ronn Matlock - You got the best of me - Cotillion

Tomangoes - I really love you - Washpan

Bill Spoon - Living for the weekend - Studio disc

Delights - Listen to me - Studio disc

Camaro's - We're not to young - Dar Cha

Soul Bros. Inc - Pyramid - Golden Eye

Impact - Don't let him take away your mind - Alpha

Delreys Incorporated - Destination unknown - Tampete

Al Mason - Good loving - Fynal Vynal

Pure Soul Band - Headin' west - MAM

Sir Henry Ivy - He left you standing there - Future Dimension

Ron Harrington - It happened to me again - Hillside

Trey J's - I found it all in you - Tee Gem

Rickey Andrews - Chances are your dance is mine - Mars La Tour

Don Varner - Tear stained face - Quinvy

Funk Factor featuring Gerald Mallory - Give it whatcha got - Che

Sonny Harris & The Soul Reflections - Vibration - San-El

Bottom & Co - Gonna find a true life - Motown

Chuck Cockerham - Have I the right - Mala

Jackey Beaver - Lover come back - Jaber

Guitar Ray - You're gonna wreak my life - Shagg

Bill Brandon - Streets go my lady - Piedmont

Nu-Cleus featuring The Mighty Ming - It's real love - Ffull Strength

Edited by Dave Thorley

Ronnie West- 'Lil' Woman' - Goins

George Byrd - 'I'm Available' - Tangerine

Bobby Wommack - 'Find Me Somebody' - Atlantic

Little Carl Carlton - 'Two Timer' - Back Beat

Ballads - ' Wish I Knew' - Venture

Lori & Lance - 'I Don't Have To Worry' - Federal

Bobby Wilburn - 'I'm A Lonely Man' - Gamble

David Peoples - 'Got To Get My Broom Out' - Saru

Don & Debbie - 'I Can Be Happy' - Amos

J.P. Robinson - 'Keep Me Satisfied' - Blue Candle

Clay Brown - 'Why You Want To Change Part 1' - Florentine

Sandra Wright - 'Midnight Affair' - Truth

Wilson Love - 'Funny Money (The Money Song)' - N S Records

Kool Blues - 'Can We Try Love Again' - Capsoul

Little Johnny Blair - Momma's Gone - House Of The Fox

Shirley Caesar - 'Stand The Storm' - Hob Is Gospel

Merry Clayton - 'Gimme Shelter' - Ode

A Cover Up With No Cover Up Name Yet

Earnest Bolden - 'I'm Talkin' About Love' - Alcon

Young Mods - 'Who You Going To Run, Where You Going To Hide'- Everblack

Emulations - 'Move A Little Slower Girl (Good Timing Woman)'- Emulate

Four Real, Inc - 'The Man (Master Plan)' - Flying Eagles

Rance Allen Group - 'I Know A Man Who' - The Gospel Truth

Live Band- 'A Chance For Hope' - Epic U.K.

Invisible Man's Band - 'Really Wanna See You' -Boardwalk L.P.

Gil Scott-Heron and Brian Jackson - 'Home Is Where The Hatred Is' - Arista L.P.

Edited by Val (Chunky)
Guest karen b

Arthur, we're waiting patiently..........................................................please post your playlist up when you get a minthumbsup.gif

When read in conjunction with the other three DJs playlists, you will get a real feel for what a Boomerang night

offers......................quality 60's and 70's soul.........................thumbup.gif

Karen xxx

Guest karen b

Seriously Dave !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tear Stained Face, were you trying to kill me!swoon.gif

Thank goodness no one was looking!ph34r.gif

Thanks,

Love Karen x

Ok Karen i get the message :lol: , its all been said but i'll add my 2p's worth, a stunning night out at the Tavern & proves beyond a doubt that the ladies always choose guests of the highest caliber, here's what i got up to :thumbsup:

1st set

Judson Moore - Everybody Push and Pull [Capri]

L.T. and the Soulful Dynamics - Crazy About You Baby [solo]

The Locations - Mister Diamond Man [Ron Paul]

The Paramount Four - Sorry Ain't the Word [Kent]

The Truths Inc. - If I Had A Love [Hit and Run]

Thomas Lord Duckett - Open Up Your Eyes [Razz]

Unity and the Downbeats - Love Dream [stax-Take]

The Enchanters - There's A Look About You [Tee Pee]

Apple and the 3 Oranges - Love Brings Out the Best Of You [sagittarius]

Theron and Darrell - I Was Made To Love Her [solo]

2nd set

Charles Mintz - Running Back [up Look]

Faye Hill and The Hill Sisters - Gonna Get Even [blue Dolphin]

Salt & Pepper - A Man Of My Word [Heat Wave]

Kae Williams - "Our Love Is Dying" [GM - Unissued]

Minnie Jones and the Honey's - Shadow Of A Memory [alternate version] [sunset Sound acetate]

Jessie James - Are You Gonna Leave Me [shirley]

Wee - Try Me [Owl]

Papa Bear and the Cubs - You're So Fine [sMS]

Kings Of Soul - Is Your Love For Me [Down To Earth]

The Honey Bees - Let's Get Back Together [Garrison]

Melvin Moore - All Of A Sudden [sky Hero]

Love, Warmth & Affection - Talking 'Bout Love [Week-End]

Herby Brown (with Randy Mather - Sax) - One More Broken Heart [blue Ash]

Ann Sexton - "You've Been Gone Too Long" [seventy 7]

Jesse James - If You Want A Love Affair [20 Century]

What a great night. :lol:

Arthur.. having listened to Tin Man, why can't someone do a soul version of Ventura Highway? do do do do, ..do do do do,

Really looking forward to the next one in May :thumbsup:

Vicki

Good grief Vicki! No No No, you cant mess arround with a work of art like ventura highway, i'm still anoyed at John Edwards doin Tin Man :lol: , what did you think of their ( orig ) version , best, Arthur.

Ronnie West- 'Lil' Woman' - Goins

George Byrd - 'I'm Available' - Tangerine

Bobby Wommack - 'Find Me Somebody' - Atlantic

Little Carl Carlton - 'Two Timer' - Back Beat

Ballads - ' Wish I Knew' - Venture

Lori & Lance - 'I Don't Have To Worry' - Federal

Bobby Wilburn - 'I'm A Lonely Man' - Gamble

David Peoples - 'Got To Get My Broom Out' - Saru

Don & Debbie - 'I Can Be Happy' - Amos

J.P. Robinson - 'Keep Me Satisfied' - Blue Candle

Clay Brown - 'Why You Want To Change Part 1' - Florentine

Sandra Wright - 'Midnight Affair' - Truth

Wilson Love - 'Funny Money (The Money Song)' - N S Records

Kool Blues - 'Can We Try Love Again' - Capsoul

Little Johnny Blair - Momma's Gone - House Of The Fox

Shirley Caesar - 'Stand The Storm' - Hob Is Gospel

Merry Clayton - 'Gimme Shelter' - Ode

A Cover Up With No Cover Up Name Yet

Earnest Bolden - 'I'm Talkin' About Love' - Alcon

Young Mods - 'Who You Going To Run, Where You Going To Hide'- Everblack

Emulations - 'Move A Little Slower Girl (Good Timing Woman)'- Emulate

Four Real, Inc - 'The Man (Master Plan)' - Flying Eagles

Rance Allen Group - 'I Know A Man Who' - The Gospel Truth

Live Band- 'A Chance For Hope' - Epic U.K.

Invisible Man's Band - 'Really Wanna See You' -Boardwalk L.P.

Gil Scott-Heron and Brian Jackson - 'Home Is Where The Hatred Is' - Arista L.P.

What? No Fungus Among Us?

Great playlist Val! Knew you'd knock em out mate!

Rest of you don't look too shabby neither. Would have been there had a christening not taken us north of the border, K&M. Next time.

Another rockin' night at Boomerang, well done to the two ladeez

Maria 'O' with the 'O' being an abbreviation for "Tickets Only" and Karen'B' being an abbreviation for the now world famous "Burke's Buns" :wave:

All the Dj's kept the room moving all night, nice to hear Ron Harrington get a couple of spins, although it's been around a while now, the introduction of a few more copies in to the scene by that intrepid ol' soul hound Dave Thorley should see it now go on to bigger and better things :thumbsup:

Dave