Loughborough Soul Club Mini Alnighter

GREAT NITE AT LOUGHBOROUGH SOUL CLUB MINI ALNIGHTER GOT TO SAY THANKS TO TONY FOR LETTING ME LOOSE ON THE DECKS IN THE MOTOWN ROOM GOT TO PLAY SOME OF MY FAV TUNES FOR OVER 4 HOURS WHAT A NITE BIT CREAM CRACKERED SUNDAY BUT WELL WORTH IT POPPED IN THE NORTHERN ROOM HAD A LISTEN TO SOME OF THE GREAT TUNES BEING PLAYED THANKS TO SIMON FOR THE DE-LITES LOVER GREAT TUNE

SKA ROOM WAS BUZZIN HATS OFF TO ALL THE DJS HOPE TO GO BACK THERE AGAIN GREAT CROWD

KTF MICK JAY

# NEXT GRANTHAM SOUL 12th FEB 8-1.00am SQUASH CLUB HARLAXTON RD GRANTHAM NG31 7JX

• Replies 5
  • Views 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest sharmo 1

It's great to see Loughbough back on the up.The reggae room was bouncing and rammed with boss sounds pulsing from the sound system , great ska and rock steady from Mark and the selecters.I didn't go into the club room but got good reports the northern room seems to be recovering from the last night it was a casulty of the bad weather last time .I'm not too sure how many were in there as people moved from the northern room to the reggae room to the club room although at a guess I'd say there was maybe 120 plus at it's busiest therfor probably a rough guess would be 400 plus across the whole deal and for saying there were other night's in the area and I knew John Pools was going to be a winner and the Skagness situation I think Loughboro' did well.I think it's now time for constructive coalation between all local groups to stop the clashing I knew a few who wanted to go to John Pools but went to Loughboro' including me and my lot,and visa versa this is neither a competition or a conflict GET TALKING to each other.I'd like to thank the organisers for making Tina and Me and Ben very welcome I don't like djing very much and don't really bother with it very often but I look forward to spinning the balck stuff there again also the crowd were fantastic peace and respect to Mark and Liz ,Steve Brown ,tony and the gang see you all soon Sy and T.

My first time at Loughborough and got to be one of the hardest places to find. Its a good club with 3 rooms and like Simon says over the 3 rooms there was a decent turnout. Good mix of tunes from all the DJ's in the Northern room from big rareties to lesser known oldies, and good support from the dancers.

The ska room was rammed and it was great to see and hear the big sound system. Nice to see so many people enjoying themselves in this room and then also in the Northern room.

Really enjoyed the night so big thanks to Debbie, Mark and Tony.

Mark

Guest Alfa166

It was an enjoyable night especially once the feet started to hit the dance floor in the Northern Room, for me anyway. A chance to move to the classics that we all know and love and a lesson in elitism to remind us of the true scope and meaning of Rare Soul. At times the crowd, en mass, sat and listened and learned rather than attempt a few misplaced steps to the unfamiliar territory being played on the decks. A hugely appreciative round of applause concluded the session that taught us to look way beyond the Detroit, Chicago, Philly triangle that we all know and love.

The Ska room was a festival of Style and Attitude that makes the Northern Scene appear positively middle-class in comparison. Northern is watchable but the Ska crowd are somehow mesmerising. They looked cooler and definitely looked like they were having more fun and enjoying more beer. Engulfed in an atmosphere of slight tension that meant behave yourself or be slapped. Everyone does behave themselves and everyone has a laugh obsorbing every bone shaking bass note of Trojans finest.

My 18yr old Daughter came along with me as she was interested to see what all this Northern \ Ska caper was about. This is mainly because she is well versed in all the Northern Classics since she was a baby and because I am always deriding her generation as having no identity, no soul, no sub-culture, no tribalism....no idea....Well, very little anyway! The globalisation of a handful of Brands has put paid to Teens dressing for themselves, in my opinion.

Anyway, days after the soul night I returned home from work to hear "Toots and the Maytals" pumping out of my Daughters room, after joining her for a little skank she extolled her newly found passion for Ska. I found this amusing as deep down we both know that it's an awareness rather than an embrace of a cool but disappearing sub culture. She won't be able to discard her overpriced and generic SuperDry hoody or bland G-Star attires, she wouldn't be able to cope with the isolation of individuality from her contemporary peers. Anyway, Sadly I guess Ska will dissolve in near time due to the old Working Class having now aspired and made way for the Under-Class. The Under-Class don't have money for records or clothes, or decent food or acceptable accommodation or even health. All their energies are taken up with survival and in the current political environment they are gonna need all the energy they can muster. So there's no-one left to take up the Ska mantle...is there? Just the old guard sustaining it for as long at they can, and they are doing a good and valuable job.

I will look out for the next Ska night and bring along my camera so I can document these individuals who still have the courage to be individual and stylish and interesting. I will try and do a good job to capture what Ska means to the admiring exponents of it. No doubt my 18yr old will have her face in a few shots if she can muster up the courage to join in and Dance, I'm sure her Firetrap claptrap will forgive her her sins for one night.

For me, I like Ska music but I love the sophistication, range and depth of (Northern) Soul music. Although the Northern Scene is not really my world; it is my music which I am passionate about without being anywhere near encyclopaedic about. And even though I like my 9 to 5 job, which I am lucky to have, I still have a need for an outlet, even in middle age, to truly bring me properly alive with 150 second bursts of favourite danceable northern tracks.

Whoever you people are who arrange, promote and DJ these Soul and\or Ska Nites, such as the Loughboro Soul Nites, THANK YOU and please keep doing it for as long and regularly as possible, as they are needed and appreciated by people like me.

Remaining Faithful

Alfie.

Edited by Alfa166
Guest lady in red

MARK AND I WOULD LIKE TO SAY A BIG THANKYOU TO EVERYONE WHO CAME ALONG AND JOINED US FOR WHAT WAS A TRUELY EXCELLENT NIGHT. THE SKA & REGGAE ROOM WAS YET ANOTHER HUGH SUCCESS WITH FOLKS TRAVELLING FROM THE FOUR CORNERS OF THE COUNTRY TO MAKE THIS NIGHT A BRILLIANT START TO THE YEAR FOR THE SKINHEAD REGGAE SCENE. A BIG THANKYOU TO THE NORTHERN AND MOTOWN ROOM DJ`S WHO PLAYED THEIR CHOONS FOR US AND KEPT US DANCING TIL THE VERY END.

SO ONCE AGAIN A BIG THANKYOU TO EVERYONE WHO SUPPORTED US AND WE HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL AGAIN SOON :hatsoff2:

DEBBIE & MARK