Spiders Web 15Th Anniversary

Travelled up for the weekend and boy was it worth it -one of those memorable events for all the right reasons.

A venue oozing with charm and atmosphere, a throwback to those legendary 6ts basement mod/beat/jazz club venues. Managed about 7 hours of the 10 on offer and caught most of the excellent atb set from the residents (Ray Parker, John Reid, Lenny Toshack and host extraordinaire George Wallace) . Sadly missed guest spot from Roddy Brass, but word was out it was outstanding.

Nice tunes from Eddie Hubbard, standing in for Mick H and blown away with Barbara Grassi (all the way from Italy) set varied with lovely rarities, the occasional golden oldie, well crafted & flowed like a dream.

The grand finale was of course (King) Kenny Burrell, being his last ever DJ appearance. Up tempo and a floor packing reaction tune after tune - a simply wonderful tribute to the man.

Exchanged a few cds, extended the 'wants' and on Kenny's recommendation had the best Indian meal ever....

Big thanks to all who made us so welcome, nice to see a few from Yorkshire (especially Steve & Lydia) and Greatstones Pete & Lady Best.

Andy & Denise

Edited by andybellwood
  • Replies 8
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

AUP ANDY,REALLY GLAD YOU ENJOYED YOURSELF AT THE SPIDERS WEB,WE HAV,NT BEEN FOR SOME TIME,WE USED TO STOP AT OUR SECOND FAMILYS HOME IN NEWTON GRANGE AND MADE A WEEKEND OF IT,VERY VERY NICE PEOPLE UP THERE,AND THATS SURPRISE ME ABOUT KENNY RETIRING FROM DJING,HE,S ONE OF THE FIRST I EVER SPOKE TO UP THERE,THEN OFFERED COME TO MANSFIELD AND DJ WHEN RAINWORTH WAS RUNNING ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO,WHILE I WAS PUTTING FLYERS OUT,THE GOOD THING IS HE CAME,AND A FEW MORE TIMES AFTER THAT,AND DID US A FEW NEW YEARS EVE,S,SO KENNY I HOPE YOU HAVE A NICE RETIRMENT,hatsoff2.gif AND ANDY WE WILL SEE YOU AGAIN SOON AT RILEY SMITH HALL,KTF,CARL PIPER..................:thumbsup:

Edited by boxerbeat

Thanks for the kind comments regarding my set Andy, it was indeed a brilliant night , only caught Barbara and Kenny's set's but they were truly excellent .The atmosphere and people are second to none at The Web , highly recommended .......Was it you who raved to me over the Spencer Wiggins track Andy ? Cheers ,Eddie

AUP ANDY,REALLY GLAD YOU ENJOYED YOURSELF AT THE SPIDERS WEB,WE HAV,NT BEEN FOR SOME TIME,WE USED TO STOP AT OUR SECOND FAMILYS HOME IN NEWTON GRANGE AND MADE A WEEKEND OF IT,VERY VERY NICE PEOPLE UP THERE,AND THATS SURPRISE ME ABOUT KENNY RETIRING FROM DJING,HE,S ONE OF THE FIRST I EVER SPOKE TO UP THERE,THEN OFFERED COME TO MANSFIELD AND DJ WHEN RAINWORTH WAS RUNNING ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO,WHILE I WAS PUTTING FLYERS OUT,THE GOOD THING IS HE CAME,AND A FEW MORE TIMES AFTER THAT,AND DID US A FEW NEW YEARS EVE,S,SO KENNY I HOPE YOU HAVE A NICE RETIRMENT,:shades: AND ANDY WE WILL SEE YOU AGAIN SOON AT RILEY SMITH HALL,KTF,CARL PIPER..................:ohmy:

nice one carl- hope we'll see all you guys at the riley smith 2nd anniversary special

Thanks for the kind comments regarding my set Andy, it was indeed a brilliant night , only caught Barbara and Kenny's set's but they were truly excellent .The atmosphere and people are second to none at The Web , highly recommended .......Was it you who raved to me over the Spencer Wiggins track Andy ? Cheers ,Eddie

Wasn't me Eddie, must have been another of your fan club, tho i'm a big fan of that 45 Edited by andybellwood

My first time attending at a Soul event in Scotland couldn't have been better!

Great music, amazing atmosphere, and the friendly people I met, made my weekend in Edinburgh nothing but PERFECT! :hatsoff2:

Thanks and hats off to George, the resident djs, Roddy & Eddie, and a special mention to Mr. Burrell.. his last DJ appearance has been simply g-r-e-a-t !!!!

Last but not least, big thanks from the bottom of my heart to Davy (shame a stomach bug knocked him down... sad.gif ),

Charlie & Paul

I will be back to Scotland soon, that's for sure!!!

ciao!

Barbara