New Nighters?

We plan our nighters schedule months ahead,Iam only a punter,and then low and behold there are another one or two nighters added to the same saturday,sometimes just a month before.

Whats up are the people that was doing Soul nights moving into nighter territory and flooding that market aswell, there is only a so many of us to go around.

Ive had my say now,and will say no more.

Any thoughts?

Kev.

Edited by good angel
Social source share

• Replies 75
  • Views 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Matt Male

My thoughts are there are promoters starting nighters up who are not a regular part of the scene, don't bother to read the events listing on here or find out what else is on and are simply doing it as a business. Northern Soul is becoming (maybe it always was) a brand to be exploited by some at the expense of others.

Social source share

An example Kev would help the thread..

As said above nowt new....

Look at this Saturday, 3 major all niters in Rugby, Derby and Blackpool... :g: ... Rugby dates done well well in advance, maybe a year before but still don't stop all the clashing..

Its not just the promoters, its the djs that take them bookings too, if they did not then the clowns would have no circus... :)

Social source share

My thoughts are there are promoters starting nighters up who are not a regular part of the scene, don't bother to read the events listing on here or find out what else is on and are simply doing it as a business. Northern Soul is becoming (maybe it always was) a brand to be exploited by some at the expense of others.

If people are making bussiness discissions to clash with other nighters the're not wise from a busines perspective. The Derby thing for example, must of cost loads to set up, you'd think they'd want to maximse its opportunity for success by not competing with established events.

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

Look at this Saturday, 3 major all niters in Rugby, Derby and Blackpool... :lol: ... Rugby dates done well well in advance, maybe a year before but still don't stop all the clashing..

Its not just the promoters, its the djs that take them bookings too, if they did not then the clowns would have no circus... :lol:

Stevie,

I did'nt mention any nighter on purpose,so Iam not harassed.:thumbsup:

Kev.

Social source share

Look at this Saturday, 3 major all niters in Rugby, Derby and Blackpool... :lol: ... Rugby dates done well well in advance, maybe a year before but still don't stop all the clashing..

Its not just the promoters, its the djs that take them bookings too, if they did not then the clowns would have no circus... :thumbsup:

Love it

Social source share

one answer is that some people dont want to listen ,,,r&b or latin or new stuff in general but do want to attend all niters...not saying its right but just a slant on the argument...some events are clearly against oldies so youre bound to get someone to provide an alternative...

Social source share

Its not just the promoters, its the djs that take them bookings too, if they did not then the clowns would have no circus... :thumbsup:

Unfortunately never going to happen though Steve.

Too many DJs on this scene would go to the opening of an envelope if they thought they could get a spot the following month :lol:

Social source share

We plan our nighters schedule months ahead,Iam only a punter,and then low and behold there are another one or two nighters added to the same saturday,sometimes just a month before.

Whats up are the people that was doing Soul nights moving into nighter territory and flooding that market aswell, there is only a so many of us to go around.

Ive had my say now,and will say no more.

Any thoughts?

Kev.

Door swings both ways with allnighter promoters starting Soul nights..

Tony

Social source share

i think this argument would be better suited starting with weekenders mate they take up most of the calendar and i think cover a lot of the points you mentiond especially greed and business, also regardles of you thinking there is lots of money to be made in nighters i realy dont think there is. apart from the bigger events done by the usual people who im bored to death with . i can also tell you there will be another nighter in may it doesn't clash with any one and took 3 months to plan :thumbsup::lol:

got to dash im off to put a deposit on my new lamborghini ....last owner was a clown

Faf, Assa Not Funny Now I No Sell Car !! Coco :lol: :lol: :D:lol:

Social source share

The doors swing many ways don't they mate...

Niter promotions starting at soul night times can piss off local established nights.. etc etc

But the topic was about new niters..

All the other issues would be a Levine type thread...

This is about new niters starting...

Maybe Kev can elaborate and then we could get some responce to his concerns..

Social source share

choice is good but to much of the same is not good and every promoter thinks they are offering something different but are they and if they want to be a success then they need to look at the other nighters then compare to their own and you would think they wouldnt want to clash but as we all know some dont care about clashing,

Rugby i believe book theirt nighters a few years in advance and other nighters have a certain week in the month they put their nighter on but not all promoters come on SS and if they do they really should try a bit harder to not clash, saying that their aint a weekend that goes by now without at least a couple of nighters and a weekender plus about 70 soul nights nationwide, so find a space in amongst that lot and you will be lucky, imho their is too much going on but then again down in the South we only have 1 nighter and thats only just starting this month so wouldnt mind some more tbh so i wouldnt have to travel the minimum 2 hours all the time :lol: take your pick make you choice and enjoy :thumbsup:

Social source share

A solution maybe then Mr Bear..

Any new niters could re-locate/ start down South, more than enough punters and lots of space and no clashing....

Bearsy.. you could be the goose thats laid the golden egg with that post :thumbsup:

1 slight problem with that Steve, only a handful of nighter people down south so a nighter in a shoe box might not be the answer :lol:

would never want to live oop norf cos of the funny accents and lack of shandy but to have so much choice so close week in week out for the soul fix would be awsome indeed :lol:

Social source share

For one moment i thought we had found heaven..

I did forget what you lot are like...

You think your the master race with inside toilets and you all talk like the queen while drinking Shandy :lol: ...

Its all fine, we just meet up for weekends of soul, then you go back to your castle while we try and keep warm in our caves...

Back on topic... :thumbsup:

What new all niters are being promoted this year???

Burnley... 4 times a year...

Anymore folks????

Social source share

For one moment i thought we had found heaven..

I did forget what you lot are like...

You think your the master race with inside toilets and you all talk like the queen while drinking Shandy :lol: ...

Its all fine, we just meet up for weekends of soul, then you go back to your castle while we try and keep warm in our caves...

Back on topic... :thumbsup:

What new all niters are being promoted this year???

Burnley... 4 times a year...

Anymore folks????

ive got one in may this year 'but i made sure i didnt clash with anyone and its taken months to sort out ....so i would hope im not one of the accused

Edited by steptoe
Social source share

I can understand this statement if it refers to mates djing for mates week in week out but why should a DJ who does the rounds at all-nighters not take a booking because another all-nighter is on somewhere?

Social source share

spot on there steve rugby dates r well b4 over a year i dont understand y they clash billy

Social source share

Look at this Saturday, 3 major all niters in Rugby, Derby and Blackpool... :ohmy: ... Rugby dates done well well in advance, maybe a year before but still don't stop all the clashing..

Its not just the promoters, its the djs that take them bookings too, if they did not then the clowns would have no circus... :shades:

spot on there steve rugby dates r well b4 over a year i dont understand y they clash billy

Billy,

you know me and I never want to fall out with anybody.

but like you say take this weekend for example.

As said some fixtures are made last year.

Kev.

Social source share

Look at this Saturday, 3 major all niters in Rugby, Derby and Blackpool... :ohmy: ... Rugby dates done well well in advance, maybe a year before but still don't stop all the clashing..

Its not just the promoters, its the djs that take them bookings too, if they did not then the clowns would have no circus... :ohmy:

If you look at the weekend commencing 18/3 there are 5 all nighters on in the UK that weekend :ohmy:

1 on the Friday & 4 on the Saturday :shades:

It is a great shame this particular scenario as 3 of the 5 I would have most probably attended had they been on different weekends but as it is I can only do 1 nighter (& even then I'm struggling :lol: ) per weekend these days.

I'm sure it wasn't done on purpose, still it is a shame

Ali x

Social source share

I noticed Bearsy said there's only 1 nighter down South and its starting soon, doesn't London still count as 'down south', fairly successful nighter in that area. also Bisley used to have the odd nighter? Stevie, how come it's always a Kev we're waiting to give answers when it comes to venue clashes.............. :shades:

Social source share

I noticed Bearsy said there's only 1 nighter down South and its starting soon, doesn't London still count as 'down south', fairly successful nighter in that area. also Bisley used to have the odd nighter? Stevie, how come it's always a Kev we're waiting to give answers when it comes to venue clashes.............. :shades:

Im Slow.:ohmy:

Kev.

Social source share

I noticed Bearsy said there's only 1 nighter down South and its starting soon, doesn't London still count as 'down south', fairly successful nighter in that area. also Bisley used to have the odd nighter? Stevie, how come it's always a Kev we're waiting to give answers when it comes to venue clashes.............. :ohmy:

Think he means south coast, dont see too many peps,traverling ths far down, hope the line up changes that :shades:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Nighters may be opening up all over,but most follow the same old tired formula book a hall, book the same old same dj,s and bobs ya uncle you've got a nighter.....WELL YOU AIN,T......theres more to it than that as the tiny handful WORTH ATTENDING proves. A lot of different nighters have totally different crowds. There are many dj,s who only attend venues where they will be asked to dj, as is they're devine right.....and of course they big up those nighters and say fook all about the others. Never fear though half of em ain,t worth attending atb peggy :shades:

p.s as for the south.....there ain,t enough nighter folk full stop........apathy reigns supreme

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Billy,

you know me and I never want to fall out with anybody.

but like you say take this weekend for example.

As said some fixtures are made last year.

Kev.

All the nighters on this weekend the dates were set long time ago. We had the argument some months ago when Derby was announced and Blackpool has been sorted a long time.

Social source share

It looks like by new niters/ clashing that Kev is talking about this weekend and 2 new large promotions/ all niters.... clashing with the Rugby anniversary..

Nowt to do with Steptoe or others..

3 very large promotions for all niters, all with quality line ups and second rooms, many many djs playing...

Are there enough punters to go round, will it not cause some grief?? is it a crazy idea by some promoters..

A simple question asked a by a punter with no axe to grind..

The best people to answer would be the promoters/ djs and maybe punters going to each event..

I aint going to any of the events and will leave it at that..

Just seen the post above.. Maybe check the other topic then Kev and your questions could find an answer there...

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

What makes me hoot with laughter ...is half of the attendees at some nighters fook off at 3................SO WHAT DO THEY WANT A NIGHTER FOR?????:shades:

Social source share

What makes me hoot with laughter ...is half of the attendees at some nighters fook off at 3................SO WHAT DO THEY WANT A NIGHTER FOR?????:shades:

what the f--k has it got to do with anyone what time someone goes, the promoters still taking the money. People have family, work and other reasons, not everyone can go home and be a cabbage in your own company every week.

And it's nothing to do with this topic either so can we stick to the subject please.

Social source share

100 club and radcliffe were geographically miles apart but can't help but think numbers at both were probably effected which is a real shame.

and being jan that probably didn't help.

and again this weekend 3 big events all on sat.

now more importantly am I going to endure a dross england performance or surf the net................ choices, choices :shades:

Social source share

I don't think it matters much at all how far a nighter is apart, all are after the same people to attend. There is only a hardcore of 300 or so, so two nighters on the same night will affect each other.

And Steve, I can think of another new one announced not long ago, Andy McCabe putting on the one in/near Wigan (Haigh Hall) same night as Lifeline.

Social source share

What makes me hoot with laughter ...is half of the attendees at some nighters fook off at 3................SO WHAT DO THEY WANT A NIGHTER FOR?????:ohmy:

I resemble that remark .... maybe not as early 3 but very rarely can I stop to the very end.... these days. I'll pay my tenner & decide to leave whenever I want. It doesnt make me any less a nighter person than you.

I no longer take enhancements to make me last the whole night through. I'm not saying that everyone does but the majority do. Not slating any of them as I've done it in the past.

I tend to be the driver so drink or anything else is completely out of the question, for me. Its not worth the driving ban or the risk to other road users lives plus my soul life will be well & truly stuffed with no vehicle to get to these wonderful places in.

This is gonna sound really nobby but I dont care, if you can write a nobby post then so can I. I personally dont feel the need to con my body into enjoying a night anymore with enhancements (Im not saying you do). I enjoy it naturally which some may find strange but if the music & the atmosphere is cock on.... I can sometimes last a whole night but hey if I decide to leave at 4,5,6,7 then thats my choice just as its your choice to stay till the very end :shades:

Ali x

Social source share

Not seen that Chalky..

Not looked at the 2011 list.. will have a look now..

2 all niters clashing aint out of the norm now its seems..

3 all large niters all in the north on the same night is pure crazy and thats why i guess Kev started that post...

Lets see the feedback or is it fall out from this weekend...

Happy Valentines..... :shades:

Social source share

I resemble that remark .... maybe not as early 3 but very rarely can I stop to the very end.... these days. I'll pay my tenner & decide to leave whenever I want. It doesnt make me any less a nighter person than you.

I no longer take enhancements to make me last the whole night through. I'm not saying that everyone does but the majority do. Not slating any of them as I've done it in the past.

I tend to be the driver so drink or anything else is completely out of the question, for me. Its not worth the driving ban or the risk to other road users lives plus my soul life will be well & truly stuffed with no vehicle to get to these wonderful places in.

This is gonna sound really nobby but I dont care, if you can write a nobby post then so can I. I personally dont feel the need to con my body into enjoying a night anymore with enhancements (Im not saying you do). I enjoy it naturally which some may find strange but if the music & the atmosphere is cock on.... I can sometimes last a whole night but hey if I decide to leave at 4,5,6,7 then thats my choice just as its your choice to stay till the very end :shades:

Ali x

:ohmy: Oops I've gone off Topic too. Sorry!!

Everyone else ignore my post but Peggy please feel free to read a few times over :ohmy: x

Social source share

Ali x

Well said Ali. It's no one's business what someone does but their own. It's about time some folk stopped telling everyone what they should do don't do and just looked after themselves.

Social source share

Not seen that Chalky..

3 all large niters all in the north on the same night is pure crazy and thats why i guess Kev started that post...

Happy Valentines..... :shades:

Exactly Steve, you can't avoid a clash these days, everyone wants to promote, everyone wants to Dj, somebody at the end of the day will be upset by the actions of someone else, we just have to get on with it.

Having said that some should put a little bit more thought into what they are doing and do their homework before doing anything.

Social source share

Not seen that Chalky..

Happy Valentines..... :ohmy:

Looks like a busy few days for me Stevie :shades:

Social source share

I Honesrtly think all 3 will be well attended.....

ive mentioned this before but i take my hat off to ANYONE who puts an all-niter on.....ive done 3 now and theyre really stressful and you never know how theyre going to go......you can only try,,,,

dates are always going to be a problem but i really think its good that there is a choice especially as there is so many areas of the music now...youre not far away from the music u like

Social source share

I Honesrtly think all 3 will be well attended.....

ive mentioned this before but i take my hat off to ANYONE who puts an all-niter on.....ive done 3 now and theyre really stressful and you never know how theyre going to go......you can only try,,,,

dates are always going to be a problem but i really think its good that there is a choice especially as there is so many areas of the music now...youre not far away from the music u like

The biggest factor when it comes to the attendance at an all-nighter these days is the price of petrol. It's simply too expensive to travel and do an all-nighter every week. People will begin to pick and choose where and when they attend.

Social source share

I am surprised no one has mentioned promoters that have more than one venue on the go (or if they have I have missed it). I am talking multi amounts of venues here. That plays a huge part in there being too many things on.

Plus the 100 club and Lifeline have been on the same night before. Not that I am saying anything other than there would have been people that would have gone to both that obviously couldn't because they were on the same night.

Edited by jumpinjoan
Social source share

The biggest factor when it comes to the attendance at an all-nighter these days is the price of petrol. It's simply too expensive to travel and do an all-nighter every week. People will begin to pick and choose where and when they attend.

We have stopped traveling for a while now, because of petrol costs and the fact we used to have a full car to share costs but more often than not there is just the two of us.

The midlands and the south is now out of bounds, Lancs and Yorks only for us now.

Social source share

Bit of an ironicaly amusing thread this really if you think about it :shades: .... god...who ever would have thought there would be a problem with nighters clashing!

Apart from the big venues there was little chance of someone putting on a nighter back in the day...if the licensing hours didn't get them...then the loss of beer income for the venue owner would! Hence the reason for 'carrot crunchers' like us & other inbreads having to travel (which added to the excitement I might add )

I guess with the squeeze on the Landlords from the Brewers these days, they make more on pop...so I would imagine a nighter is something they would probably welcome with open hands?

The answer then?.....lobby to your council that the opening hours should go back to what they were...or help the Landlords fight the Brewers....give up Supermarket beer!!! :ohmy:

Social source share

No Winnie thats the south east :ohmy: an example for me, i live in Southampton now and if i go to the 100 Club it takes 2 hours drive and is 90 miles away, Gloucester is 80 miles and an 1 hour 45 minutes away, Rugby 110 miles and 2 hours 10 minutes away then anywhere further than that and just add on the difference :ohmy: Bournemouth nighter is only 25 miles from here and its the only one in the South, Bisley dont do nighters hardly anymore just soul nights and about 4 a year,

my point is, if i was oop north i would have so much more choice but then again there are a lot more soulies, are there too many venues oop north even with all the many soulies up there ?? is another nighter up there benefiting the scene, only those that attend can decide on that but it could have an effect on those already established,

1 nighter a month down here could be too much cos there aint really a nighter crowd but you never know it could lead to another and both be a success, but first things first i hope the Bournemouth nighter is a success cos for those down here that like nighters need a nighter local cos money is so tight im struggling to get out nowadays and to drive 100 + plus miles week in week out plus admission costs and drinks etc etc cant be done, so sad cos im missing my jaunts oop north :ohmy:

Social source share

If we take it as read that the nighter calendar is full, how then does a promoter of a new nighter decide when to put it on.

Does he check if there is a nighter that has dwindling numbers and go up against that?

Perhaps go up against an established nighter because he doesn't get on with the opposing promoter?

Check to see which nighter is the furthest away on a given date so as to minimise the clash?

Check musical policy of other nighters, so for instance put on an oldies night against a progressive night.

Basically I'm asking how a promoter decides when to put on a nighter and how he comes to that decision.

Winnie :shades:

Social source share

If we take it as read that the nighter calendar is full, how then does a promoter of a new nighter decide when to put it on.

Does he check if there is a nighter that has dwindling numbers and go up against that?

Perhaps go up against an established nighter because he doesn't get on with the opposing promoter?

Check to see which nighter is the furthest away on a given date so as to minimise the clash?

Check musical policy of other nighters, so for instance put on an oldies night against a progressive night.

Basically I'm asking how a promoter decides when to put on a nighter and how he comes to that decision.

Winnie :ohmy:

i think there the questions that defo need to be asked Winnie, but i think the answer to them is probably so they can dj :shades:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!