New Nighters?

Good points there Bearsy/ Joan etc etc...

As i said 2 clashing all niters is quite common with a fixture congestion but this weekends is what Kev was on about, its just plain crazy and somethings got to give, does anyone know what Derby and Blackpool would regard a good crowd/ whats cappacity... I know Rugby is AROUND 350...

Social source share

• Replies 75
  • Views 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

one answer is that some people dont want to listen ,,,r&b or latin or new stuff in general but do want to attend all niters...not saying its right but just a slant on the argument...some events are clearly against oldies so youre bound to get someone to provide an alternative...

That's a fair point in theory Mark but in reality it's just an excuse used by too many to explain clashes. Let's look at the example below, please remember that this is a purely fictional story with no basis in fact and to prevent anybody thinking otherwise I have used the initials of my two oldest brothers to identify the two fictional venues/promotions.....

If venue 'R' had a policy of RnB/Latin/Boogaloo sounds only then nobody would really complain if just 40 miles away and on the same night venue 'D' started a nighter with a music policy of classic oldies only.

However what if venue 'R' is a two room event with the main room playing mainly oldies and current big nighter sounds whilst the smaller second room allowed DJs the opportunity to play rarer/funk/lesser knowns with no restrictions from the promoter who is happy to let the second room DJs 'freestyle' for an hour.

So up pops venue 'D' again, same night and 40 miles away, you'd assume they must be offering something very different and they are because in their 2 room event the main room is 100% oldies not just mainly oldies...venue 'D' is obviously catering for the nighter goer who is only happy if they know every record not just 80-90% of them. But venue 'D' has a promoter who doesn't want to alienate those who like to hear something a bit different which is why in the second room he is letting the DJs have the chance to play what they want, this is not freestyling DJs.....this is DJs showing us their own personal expression of soul music or to make it a bit easier rolling off the tongue a room for 'soul expression'.

Finally in the promoter of venue 'D' we have a promoter who offers a real alternative, what a blessing to the scene.... in fact maybe this promoter should start to think about expanding and running not just one venue but at least three or maybe four.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

That's a fair point in theory Mark but in reality it's just an excuse used by too many to explain clashes. Let's look at the example below, please remember that this is a purely fictional story with no basis in fact and to prevent anybody thinking otherwise I have used the initials of my two oldest brothers to identify the two fictional venues/promotions.....

If venue 'R' had a policy of RnB/Latin/Boogaloo sounds only then nobody would really complain if just 40 miles away and on the same night venue 'D' started a nighter with a music policy of classic oldies only.

However what if venue 'R' is a two room event with the main room playing mainly oldies and current big nighter sounds whilst the smaler second room allowed DJs the opportunity to play rarer/funk/lesser knowns with no restrictions from the promoter who is happy to let the second room DJs 'freestyle' for an hour.

So up pops venue 'D' again, same night and 40 miles away, you'd assume they must be offering something very different and they are because in their 2 room event the main room is 100% oldies not just mainly oldies...venue 'D' is obviously catering for the nighter goer who is only happy if they know every record not just 80-90% of them. But venue 'D' has a promoter who doesn't just want to alienate those who like to hear something a bit different which is why in the second room he is letting the DJs have the chance to play what they want, this is not freestyling DJs.....this is DJs showing us their own personal expression of soul music or to make it a bit easier rolling off the tongue a room for 'soul expression'.

Finally in the promoter of venue 'D' we have a promoter who offers a real alternative, what a blessing to the scene.... in fact maybe this promoter should start to think about expanding and running not just one venue but at least three or maybe four.

so what you really trying to say Adam :yes::lol:

Social source share

As i said 2 clashing all niters is quite common with a fixture congestion but this weekends is what Kev was on about, its just plain crazy and somethings got to give, does anyone know what Derby and Blackpool would regard a good crowd/ whats cappacity... I know Rugby is AROUND 350...

Steve, I think Blackpool would need 500+ to be a good crowd.

Social source share

so what you really trying to say Adam :yes::lol:

Honestly Bearsy, it's not complicated. Why don't we help you along and ask a friend....

I think i understand where Adams coming from.... hes got two older brothers...i think :g:

Correct Tim, any chance you could lend Bearsy a few braincells to help him out??? :):lol:

Social source share

There has always been clashes and always will be,but just for chalkys benifit.Haigh hall is a charity niter for wigan council run by the monaco soul club,who asked me to help out with djs.2 dates were given for the night 29 jan [same night as radcliffe] and 26th feb,these were given by the council.This is a wigan oldies niter and has been advertised and promoted as such,and is a long way from wolverhampton.Im sure that doesnt sound as good for the propaganda merchants,but they are the facts.As always one or two niters can clash whenever they want but only when sanctioned by the high and mighty on here.And seeing as this charity niter is in aid of stroke victims,and i have a very close family member who has just suffered a bad one,i hope it,s a sell out.[dont forget to report straight back :yes:]

Edited by Soultown andy
Social source share

There has always been clashes and always will be,but just for chalkys benifit.Haigh hall is a charity niter for wigan council run by the monaco soul club,who asked me to help out with djs.2 dates were given for the night 29 jan [same night as radcliffe] and 26th feb,these were given by the council.This is a wigan oldies niter and has been advertised and promoted as such,and is a long way from wolverhampton.Im sure that doesnt sound as good for the propaganda merchants,but they are the facts.As always one or two niters can clash whenever they want but only when sanctioned by the high and mighty on here.And seeing as this charity niter is in aid of stroke victims,and i have a very close family member who has just suffered a bad one,i hope it,s a sell out.[dont forget to report straight back :yes:]

It Will Be !! :lol:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I'm assuming you're taking the piss being ironic here mate... :yes:

Social source share

assmebly rooms in derby are pretty big I saw orbital live there play a great set. It would need 300 to look busy.

Social source share

I'm assuming you're taking the piss being ironic here mate... :thumbsup:

What, me?? Remember it's just a fictional story with no relation to real life as I would never pass comment if it was actually happening like that in real life, I'm far too diplomatic for that :hatsoff2:. Anyway, surely this just couldn't happen in real life as why would someone with no real prior interest in or knowledge of the UK soul scene decide to promote an all nighter in a huge venue without even having the sense to see what other venues were open on the same night? That's just crazy!

Social source share

What, me?? Remember it's just a fictional story with no relation to real life as I would never pass comment if it was actually happening like that in real life, I'm far too diplomatic for that :hatsoff2:. Anyway, surely this just couldn't happen in real life as why would someone with no real prior interest in or knowledge of the UK soul scene decide to promote an all nighter in a huge venue without even having the sense to see what other venues were open on the same night? That's just crazy!

You talking about lookbacks Adam?.

As for the nighter clashes,find it hard to believe the ground work wasnt put in to find out about clashing.If it was,and i'm right ,the outcome must have been "We dont care,we're going to put it on anyway".

This isn't some blame i'm trying to attach here,no agenda,but must have been the case?.Promoters dont go in with their eyes and ears closed.Getting advice from somewhere.

Bottom line is,go where you want.

Adam,think i've got it. RR = random chaos theory.

Social source share

There has always been clashes and always will be,but just for chalkys benifit.Haigh hall is a charity niter for wigan council run by the monaco soul club,who asked me to help out with djs.2 dates were given for the night 29 jan [same night as radcliffe] and 26th feb,these were given by the council.This is a wigan oldies niter and has been advertised and promoted as such,and is a long way from wolverhampton.Im sure that doesnt sound as good for the propaganda merchants,but they are the facts.As always one or two niters can clash whenever they want but only when sanctioned by the high and mighty on here.And seeing as this charity niter is in aid of stroke victims,and i have a very close family member who has just suffered a bad one,i hope it,s a sell out.[dont forget to report straight back :hatsoff2:]

What's charity got to do with what the promotion is? and Wigan to Wolverhampton is about an hour away.

Who's the high and mighty and nobody is saying no one can't have a promotion. Think the whole point of this is people promote, without looking what else is on and really couldn't care what else is on. Would it not be better to not bother with those dates, go for one later in the year with the possibility of more attending with no clash? What the music policy is is irrelevant, we are all chasing the same 3 or 400 people.

As for stroke's Kerry my partner suffered a brain haemorrhage nearly three years ago so you don't have to preach to me.

Social source share

Well the high and mighty have spoken ,whats charity got to do with it hope you and yours never have to find out.As i said some can clash when ever they want not a word said on here when it suits,but think most can see thru that.I doubt very much the crowd attending this event would be comeing to lifeline,but im sure we all know that.Still not sure were this 300 to 400 only niter crowd comes from,certainly wasnt the case at middleton.Be interestin to see how many turn out this weekend.

Social source share

Personally cannot see for the life of me what the problem is here, most seem to think that the scene is flooded with nighters week in week out but that is so wrong.

Since the new year i think ( i maybe wrong) there has been 2 nighters on : Manchester and Gloucester and the fact that there is now 3 nighters on in one weekend i agree is not the best made plans by promoters but it is what it is. Rugby is well established and its attendance on the night i would say will not be affected by the other two which are first time events, one being run by a well established promoter and to which you know what you will get - Kings Hall just a different location - Which to me is spot on, its how i like my northern soul, and the other hoping that the lure of days gone by in a mega venue will bring in the crowds, which i am sure it will as in todays scene the lure of a little nostalgia does bring in rewards financially.

But when all said and done you makes your choice and to be honest if there was no choice then we would be in a sorry situation having to go to a nighter just because its all thats on........bring on the choice so we can make our own minds up.....the established will remain and the one offs that loose money on the night or are just plain crap will remain one offs never to be seen again......but please give me the choice anyways.

Just as a side issue i STILL have not for sure made my mind up where i am going....it will be one of the 3 that are on but which who knows.....and seriously i was even thinkin of going to all 3!! ffs!!

My feelin on this is as follows, i believe that Rugby is where the people i "hang" about with at nighters..you know just have the crack with will be, but me thinks for my taste at any rate the best place will be Blackpool but i am going Kings Hall so same as, and Derby me thinks could be quite a good night if the attendance is what it will need to be to make it good.

Who knows??

Edited by dazdakin
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Since the new year i think ( i maybe wrong) there has been 2 nighters on : Manchester and Gloucester

Burnley (a couple of us were there) :thumbsup:

oh and the Wilton.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

[quote

Since the new year i think ( i maybe wrong) there has been 2 nighters on : Manchester and Gloucester

As the previous poster pointed out burnley & wilton , you also forgot the 100 club so thats three more than the two you pointed out

Social source share

Derby was rammed music tops ,only downside only 1 bar :)

Threads for all 3 nights in question in the lookback forum for comments like this.

Would be interesting though if the promoters of the 3 venues (Blackpool, Derby & Rugby) could post up on this thread the capacity of the venues & the numbers in to see if there was any effect on the others.

Social source share

For one moment i thought we had found heaven..

I did forget what you lot are like...

You think your the master race with inside toilets and you all talk like the queen while drinking Shandy :) ...

Its all fine, we just meet up for weekends of soul, then you go back to your castle while we try and keep warm in our caves...

Back on topic... :)

What new all niters are being promoted this year???

Burnley... 4 times a year...

Anymore folks????

skegness up to 4 each year

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert