James D Hall - I Wanna Get Into You - JDH

Guest Ste Brazil

All from J.D. himself (via his daughter) not ever repressed to my knowledge and I've had loadsa copies of both seven and twelve down the years - look / sound / appear uniform on both formats. 12" more valuable nowadays - used to be other way round...most 'autographed' copies in recent circulation came from J.D. himself which he dug outta his garage when he was told it was making dough over here...

MRez

Edited by Guest
Social source share

News to me - however - I discount nothing any more in this world...laugh.gif

Funny - the 45 used to be gold dust - I remember it being in Keb's box and wondering why the 7" was so danged hard to find while the 12" was about - I guess he redid the 45 as it was cheap and never redid the 12" cos they are costlier to re-run..

If so - I stand corrected....MRez

Social source share

Yeah, the 'later' copies are definitely not the proper real 'gold dust' copies. Holding both side by side you can feel that the ones that turned up weren't from the same batch as the previous real ones, though trying to describe it over the net is pretty tough. The later ones have a more orange coloured label and as I seem to recall they were quite glossy in feel. And as Sebastian says, the print was dot-matrix style, kinda of fuzzy around the edges too. Very odd. The funny thing was that the image the guy used to sell the 45s on Ebay with was actually clearly scanned from an older pressing, but when they arrived it was like, 'err, what's this then'. I did ask him when these were made and he said 'sometime after the first pressing' or words to that effect. I think most people who have been around records for a while would have felt the same as I did when I held it: that it wasn't the same age as the real copy I had in the other hand.

Social source share

News to me - however - I discount nothing any more in this world...laugh.gif

Funny - the 45 used to be gold dust - I remember it being in Keb's box and wondering why the 7" was so danged hard to find while the 12" was about - I guess he redid the 45 as it was cheap and never redid the 12" cos they are costlier to re-run..

If so - I stand corrected....MRez

I know Mark, I got my copy (original press) soon after the Dargemeister. £300. Ouch that hurts now!

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

There was some talk a couple of weeks ago () regarding James D Hall's "I Wanna Get Into You" and the fact that there exists two different presses of this 45.

The original 45 has always been and continues to be extremely rare.

The copies that the artist himself was selling a couple of years ago are not originals.

The re-issue is pressed from the same plates as the original so it is most likely a legal re-issue, but for those of you who don't want to have re-issues in your record collection, I'll try to explain the differences between the two below.

Due to the two 45s being pressed from the same stampers they have the exact same matrix details, run-in/out groove widths etc. so unless you're holding them side by side it can at first glance be fairly hard to tell the difference between them.

Here they are side by side:

jdhall-orig.jpgjdhall-re.jpg

As you can see, they look almost identical.

But when you close in on the lettering it is obvious that the RE-ISSUE label is printed with modern "dot matrix" style printing and the edges of the text is fuzzy.

On the ORIGINAL the edges of the text are totally sharp.

See below:

jdhall-orig-detail1.jpg

jdhall-re-detail1.jpg

jdhall-orig-detail2.jpgjdhall-re-detail2.jpg

Another difference is that the "dips" at the inner part of the label (closest to the hole) are much more pronounced on the RE-ISSUE.

Have a look:

jdhall-orig-detail3.jpgjdhall-re-detail3.jpg

So basically: if the edges of the text are blurry and the dips in the label are pronounced, then you have the RE-ISSUE in your hands.

Edited by Sebastian
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I did ask him (J D Hall) if they were originals (the ones that clearly aren't first presses) and he was vague in that he said they were done 'some time after the first presses). Looks like another case of seeing how much the real, proper rare ones were fetching and wanting some of the action. $20 for the repress seems right now.

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Thank you for the above confirmations, but the text indifference is not clearly viewable by the" human eye". Just checked with a printers glass which clears this up for certain. Still owning a 100% original as first supplied by Rod Dearlove circa......1988. thumbsup.gif

Thank you.

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

I clearly see the heavy and light difference in the text printing on both copies. But fail to see the less obvious block and dot matix formation of texts, when not viewed under a glass. :yes: .

Social source share

• 2 years later...

Just like to say this is a geat thread about this record which i own 1 of these 

To the guy's who own any copy of this record i'm asking is there any stamp markings in the run out or more unusual in the label ?

You can PM  me if you want with any details of said question  :shhh: ok

in advance

KEV :hatsoff2:

Edited by Kev John
Social source share

All from J.D. himself (via his daughter) not ever repressed to my knowledge and I've had loadsa copies of both seven and twelve down the years - look / sound / appear uniform on both formats. 12" more valuable nowadays - used to be other way round...most 'autographed' copies in recent circulation came from J.D. himself which he dug outta his garage when he was told it was making dough over here...

MRez

He re-pressed it, said so himself. But in his eyes as it was his record and the original stampers, they were still originals, make of that what you want.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Markings in the run out are the same in the original and the re-press as the same original plates were used. So you can really only tell by looking at the differences in the label text and the dink gradients.

Hi John

I'm asking the question of a Stamp because by looking at scans does not show up on them 

I've got a copy  it's the Rich Red Label  Ink lettering is a touch heavy in parts 

Matrix reads F128/JDH 1001-1   etched in 

Matrix reads F129/ JDH   1001 -2  IWGIY side   Etched in 

The fact is that there is Stamp in the label both sides it makes  something different about this record ?

I've checked this Stamp mark in  the label & it's in an exact position both sides of said record 

coinciding with the matrix markings in the run out 

That's why i asked if people could take time out to check it out

in advance

Kev 

Edited by Kev John
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!