Darling Dears 45 On Ebay

Guest finesoul

Guest finesoul

About 8 years ago I found around 50 copies of the Darling Dears 45 (Funky Heavy Productions) in near mint condition, in the remains of the Fine Recording Studio of Rochester, NY. It didn't mean much to me as I collect a different genre (60s garage). Several soul collectors contacted me and asked to purchase copies over the last few years. The number of guys emailing for copies recently reached a crescendo, and I have been informed that someone flipped a copy on eBay (without a doubt one of the near mint copies I sold) for over $3000. I have kept the price low and consistent to be fair to all collectors as I am a 60s garage collector myself and hate it when a quantity find is passed of as a rare disc.

I just want to blow the whistle on the eBay sellers who would buy a 45 from me for $200-300, knowing there is a quantity available, and then pass it off as an ultra-rare disc for ten times the price. Nobody should pay more than $300 for the Darling Dears. I'm sorry for the guys on eBay who didn't know about the cheaper source.

If anyone wants the Darling Dears 45, I still have some left, and the price is still low. You can google finerecordingstudio.com to contact me. I couldn't care less about selling 'em, I just don't want anyone else to get burned.

Mark Taylor

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest sigher the gutter snype

just checked the web site, a great story and flicks...and fair play for blowing the horn

on the quantity of the 45 turning up, it may have been rare but when 50 turn up and like you said on the fine records

web site probably of a press of between 500-1000 doesnt think it gets a tag of $3,000

to be honest musically its ok but not 3 grand, but still very earthy and worthy subtleness about the recording

good luck with the real sales on this :thumbsup:

Social source share

About 8 years ago I found around 50 copies of the Darling Dears 45 (Funky Heavy Productions) in near mint condition, in the remains of the Fine Recording Studio of Rochester, NY. It didn't mean much to me as I collect a different genre (60s garage). Several soul collectors contacted me and asked to purchase copies over the last few years. The number of guys emailing for copies recently reached a crescendo, and I have been informed that someone flipped a copy on eBay (without a doubt one of the near mint copies I sold) for over $3000. I have kept the price low and consistent to be fair to all collectors as I am a 60s garage collector myself and hate it when a quantity find is passed of as a rare disc.

I just want to blow the whistle on the eBay sellers who would buy a 45 from me for $200-300, knowing there is a quantity available, and then pass it off as an ultra-rare disc for ten times the price. Nobody should pay more than $300 for the Darling Dears. I'm sorry for the guys on eBay who didn't know about the cheaper source.

If anyone wants the Darling Dears 45, I still have some left, and the price is still low. You can google finerecordingstudio.com to contact me. I couldn't care less about selling 'em, I just don't want anyone else to get burned.

Mark Taylor

Interesting Stuff!! The "Slime And The Stench" Bit Looks Like A Real Labour Of Love!! :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest finesoul

Thanks for the feedback and interest in the site.

For those who have contacted me over the last 24 hours, please be assured that a copy has been reserved for you. I will reply to all tonight after work.

If everyone who emailed buys the 45, then one more day like that would see all m- copies sold.

Social source share

Guest finesoul

I have now received over 80 requests for the Darling Dears. That's more requests than I have copies.

I'm replying to all requests today and naturally those who emailed first will receive first priority.

Probably it's not much use for anyone to contact me now if you haven't done so already. However, you never know, as

some people who sent a request earlier may not follow through.

Some who asked for 2 copies may have to settle for one copy. Some may have to settle for a copy that is slightly less than mint condition. Let's see how it goes.

ps - My Dad falling and breaking his hip this week has not exactly helped with my ability to cope with the Darling Dears email avalanche!

Edited by finesoul
Social source share

Guest finesoul

Please don't panic if you have sent funds or asked questions and have not yet received a reply. I'm trying to cope with all the transactions which are sometimes complicated with trades, or extra records (Soul Brothers Six "I Don't Wanna Cry" seems a popular request). Also carefully packaging up so many discs takes a long time, and some of the not-quite-mint copies needed a VPI clean before they could be graded properly because of some kind of "Fine" powder or (most likely) mould in the grooves. And I mentioned Dad's broken hip, frequent hospital visits are very time consuming...

Some copies went out today, but the majority will be sent tomorrow and the next day. I will email everyone personally when their copy is sent.

Thanks to everyone who wrote for your interest and enthusiasm and some very kind words. I still can't believe the response, I wish I had enough copies to say "yes" to everyone!

Social source share

Guest sigher the gutter snype

think thats a shame its been put on ebay if it did come of mark from oz..

he didnt have to say he had found stock of it , but has given everyone who wants to obtaine a copy of the record

a real fair price....he could have blagged it and sold some for a hell of a lot of money...

but he didnt....dont know about the copy on ebay but the guy says its been in his collection for years and played only

once or twice to make a soundfile...

if he made a soundfile of it why hasnt he bothered to put up the clip on his listing, and no photo as yet...

i know my copy is now safely in my collection where i intend it to stay..

of course i know people sell stuff on, its part of the game, so if this is always the case, when we find

stock of rare titles shall we all just keep quite so we can drain evey last penny we can get out of the punter

telling them thats its still ultra rare??

Social source share

think thats a shame its been put on ebay if it did come of mark from oz..

he didnt have to say he had found stock of it , but has given everyone who wants to obtaine a copy of the record

a real fair price....he could have blagged it and sold some for a hell of a lot of money...

but he didnt....dont know about the copy on ebay but the guy says its been in his collection for years and played only

once or twice to make a soundfile...

if he made a soundfile of it why hasnt he bothered to put up the clip on his listing, and no photo as yet...

i know my copy is now safely in my collection where i intend it to stay..

of course i know people sell stuff on, its part of the game, so if this is always the case, when we find

stock of rare titles shall we all just keep quite so we can drain evey last penny we can get out of the punter

telling them thats its still ultra rare??

buying stuff to sell is indeed to part the game. I do it myself regulary to fund other purchases for my collection.

but with the sequence of events we have seen unfold here it doesn't seem right and its not something i'd do.

somebody who may have wanted the record has missed out to a person who has seen the opportunity to make a fast buck. Its not as if they had to even find the record its been spoon fed to them.

and the darling dears isn't the real jewel in the crown to be had here................ :D

Social source share

Guest finesoul

450 emails later...I'm still trying to reply to everyone.

Most copies have been sent by now. A few who emailed early will be lucky as not everyone who reserved a copy has paid so far. But please don't email if you haven't already - there is already a huge waiting list for cancellations and lesser copies (a few lesser copies showed up when I dug around in the record piles).

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Mark you are a good man for doing this. It can be really hard to resist making money off of this especially in these hard times. But you are really looking out for the collector and not the big bucks. You are like the good concert promoter and not the concert ticket scapler giving the fan who really wants to go to the show a ticket for a fair price. kudos to you!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!