Help Needed

Garswood

Hi guys, i,m helping a mate write some essays up for his degree (music production) @ leeds uni, anyway he has to write 10 essays on different genres so he's roped me in to do one for him, so i,m hoping someone could post up a scan or email me a copy of the the actual article from blues and soul when Dave Godin terms the phrase NORTHERN SOUL, or words to that effect, thanks in advance ...phil :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Dave Turner

Still not sure if the actual term "Northern Soul" was used in this issue but ---

"The Up-North Soul Groove", Blues & Soul - June 1970

Part 2 in the 2-14th July 1970 (Issue 37)

"According to legend, the term "Northern Soul" was coined by Blues and Soul magazine journalist Dave Godin, who in June 1970 devoted his regular column to documenting the evolving rare soul collecting community. Noting the number of northern-based customers frequenting his London record store Soul City, Godin wrote about the "Up-North Soul Groove," inadvertently giving a genre, scene and subculture its name"

https://www.allmusic....hern-soul-t2150

The above article will be very handy for your mate

:shades:

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

thanks mate, thats great., the link you sent was very interesting read, i mentioned the blues and soul article because jon manship had one for sale not long back and i,m sure he mentioned it was the issue when dave godin recalls how he termed the phrase " northern soul." thanks for taking the time to reply...atb phil :yes:

Social source share

:thumbsup: Hi Mate have you got what you requested? if you need more stuff I have every Dave Godin column, met him a few times, However I would suggest he should speak to Dave Rimmer from Dudley not only for his personal knowledge but on the other subjects also, and plus his academic attributes to the written word, thats assuming he is not to busy? you can contact Dave through Soul Source :wave: DAVE K
Social source share

thanks Dave, thats very kind of you, i,m alright with most stuff, was just stuck on who coined the phrase "northern soul", i,ve read that it was Dave Godin in an article in blues and soul, but also read in Neil Rushton's book -NORTHERN SOUL STORIES that it was a chap called Cliff Clifford, anyway i,m gonna put both versions in the essay, just as a bit of balance, thanks again...peace...phil :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!