Where's The New Discoveries ?

Guest JIM BARRY

• Replies 102
  • Views 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

How can we have the same emotions about the records we first heard as we did when it was all new to us.We over analyse things too much now,so it's never going to happen.For me the records are out there whether it's a new discovery or something missed in the past,I still find plenty to keep me excited :ohmy:

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

How can we have the same emotions about the records we first heard as we did when it was all new to us.We over analyse things too much now,so it's never going to happen.For me the records are out there whether it's a new discovery or something missed in the past,I still find plenty to keep me excited

Martyn

Must say..I love it when..and it still happens regulary. I am always looking for the "hair stands up" factor...simply love that...unknown tune (to my ears) , heard for the first time, thinking "whats that f***g awesome tune!!" ... last "hair stand up" tunes I remember were acetate played by Dean Anderson last Hip City, listening to John Harris, Dave Thorley`s Ricky Andrews 45 at my place on new years eve night and THE JAN Playing me his latest discovery last winter for the very first time.

Marc

Social source share

Must say..I love it when..and it still happens regulary. I am always looking for the "hair stands up" factor...simply love that...unknown tune (to my ears) , heard for the first time, thinking "whats that f***g awesome tune!!" ... last "hair stand up" tunes I remember were acetate played by Dean Anderson last Hip City, listening to John Harris, Dave Thorley`s Ricky Andrews 45 at my place on new years eve night and THE JAN Playing me his latest discovery last winter for the very first time.

Marc

Marc

I know what you mean about that sort of feeling,takes you back to been 17 again (I wish :thumbsup:).But that "What The F**k Is This" feeling becomes more difficult the more knowledge you get so it seems that the new sounds to each individuals ears becomes more infrequent. Just glad I know nowt so happens to me more often then most :)

angela davis - my love (is so strong) - flaming arrow

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

The trick is just play the soul record for the music and quality not for the potential of it been big on "the northern soul scene"theres litterally tens of thoushands of incredible records which ozzz soul but there aint many Jesse James love is arlight or just brothers -go on and laugh etc,so folks chasing holy grails and inner sanctums lol perhaps is gone -perhaps if a record like Rance Allen "I KNOW A MAN WHO" can break then maybe the mindset is slowly changing away from its dog rare and is a one off acetate which only jesus Christ and Kendo Nakasaki have heard lol!!!

I think we forget this is an ageing scene with massive collections and knowledge -but hand on heart folks could you ever rival the Tomangoes "COULD YOU F--K" theres subliminal records like Jesse James-Spencer Wiggins-BARONS OF SOUL ETC which just scream out for the genre that is northern soul and then there is labels like Stax/Atlantic/Chess/etc which have just brilliant soul records that are not perhaps right for a sat night off your bollox type arrangement lol.

The last time I truely felt enthused by a northern soul discovery which had the lot was Jesse James early nineties and the first time I heard Andy Dyson PLAY one track mind -on chance !- and the salt and pepper track also, -CAN ALL RIGHT MINDED FOLKS PLEASE PM ME records that have just been discoverd which stand up to these three please lol ???? Its a mindset folks brilliant iconic northern soul records really dont come along that often but brillaint soul records are discovered every day and as long as that happens and some of the lesser known smaller rooms keep on digging them out then maybe we wont be looking for new discoveries within the context of the past and just enjoying new soul music which is fresh and interesting ??

BAZ A.

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

The trick is just play the soul record for the music and quality not for the potential of it been big on "the northern soul scene"theres litterally tens of thoushands of incredible records which ozzz soul but there aint many Jesse James love is arlight or just brothers -go on and laugh etc,so folks chasing holy grails and inner sanctums lol perhaps is gone -perhaps if a record like Rance Allen "I KNOW A MAN WHO" can break then maybe the mindset is slowly changing away from its dog rare and is a one off acetate which only jesus Christ and Kendo Nakasaki have heard lol!!!

I think we forget this is an ageing scene with massive collections and knowledge -but hand on heart folks could you ever rival the Tomangoes "COULD YOU F--K" theres subliminal records like Jesse James-Spencer Wiggins-BARONS OF SOUL ETC which just scream out for the genre that is northern soul and then there is labels like Stax/Atlantic/Chess/etc which have just brilliant soul records that are not perhaps right for a sat night off your bollox type arrangement lol.

The last time I truely felt enthused by a northern soul discovery which had the lot was Jesse James early nineties and the first time I heard Andy Dyson PLAY one track mind -on chance !- and the salt and pepper track also, -CAN ALL RIGHT MINDED FOLKS PLEASE PM ME records that have just been discoverd which stand up to these three please lol ???? Its a mindset folks brilliant iconic northern soul records really dont come along that often but brillaint soul records are discovered every day and as long as that happens and some of the lesser known smaller rooms keep on digging them out then maybe we wont be looking for new discoveries within the context of the past and just enjoying new soul music which is fresh and interesting ??

BAZ A.

great post baz.:yes: your dead right there are thousands of them out there for every genre,no harm in dreaming about hearing another jesse james one day ! kinda like dreaming about finding that un tapped wharehouse fll of soul.... atb jim.

Social source share

Marc

Is the Ricky Andrews the one on Mars La Tour? If so i played that upstairs at Cleethorpes weekender last year. Andy Dyson has it now and he's played it out.

Social source share

If you go on a dealers website can you honestly say you know every record listed? No you can't and anyone who says different is probably lying. There's plenty of cheap great records out there that haven't yet seen the light of day, ignored simply because they are cheap. Too many promoters and Dj's hung up on records that cost a fortune. No one talks about a Dj with a box full of fiver records, everyone talks about the Dj who spends a fortune on a set, wrong but thats how it is. Peoples mindset has to change first and foremost.

Social source share

I believe the Rickey Andrews Marc is talking about is on R.W.A. Great record, but the soundquality is pi*s poor

Is the Ricky Andrews the one on Mars La Tour? If so i played that upstairs at Cleethorpes weekender last year. Andy Dyson has it now and he's played it out.

Social source share

If you go on a dealers website can you honestly say you know every record listed? No you can't and anyone who says different is probably lying. There's plenty of cheap great records out there that haven't yet seen the light of day, ignored simply because they are cheap. Too many promoters and Dj's hung up on records that cost a fortune. No one talks about a Dj with a box full of fiver records, everyone talks about the Dj who spends a fortune on a set, wrong but thats how it is. Peoples mindset has to change first and foremost.

How can you talk about the DJ with a box full of quality cheapies when you've never heard him DJ? You can comment on a DJ with a box full of big money records ....because you hear them DJ every week. It's not peples mindsets that needs to change Chalky, as in my experience a large number of dancers don't give a sh*t if the record they are dancing to is worth 50p or £5k they just care if it's good danceable soul, it's the majority of promoters who need to change their mindset and give a few different DJs a chance to show what tehy can do. Not only in the 'dead' times like the first hour either but in more prime time spots.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

without wanting to start another oldies v newies war, i'm wondering where the next "classic" is coming from!...is it feasible to suggest that the traditional northern 45 discoveries are dried up?. i don't frequent any up front venues these days as the records i hear don't blow me away. i'm not implying they are no good, just not as good as the sounds i was first hearing about 7 or 8 years ago,whe i would hear stuff like the jokers "soul sound" for instance, those were wtf is this moments, iknow a lot of tunes in the progressive venues are new, but not by definition traditional northern,,

whatit was like all those years ago ,when every week you would go to a venue and be hearing sound after sound what are now regarded as classics. what i would give to go out and hear something like duke browner or landslide for the first time.

Well for me the last three years have been the best since I started going to nighters and listening to northern in 1978. You ask what was it like all those years ago going out every week and hearing sound after sound that was quality? Well that's what it's like for me thesedays attending rare soul and underplayed venues, and the second room at nighters. I rarely attend oldies nights or stay in the main room anywhere anymore because I know for certain i'll never hear a new sound there that will remind me what it was like back when I started, but every now and then at our club, or in the TOD room at Gloucester, or in the Soul or Nothing room at Radcliffe I probably will. I've had lots of wtf moments in the last few years.

I couldn't care less if somethings going to be a classic or not if it's a great sound. As for the traditional northern thing, who cares? No two people can even agree on what 'northern soul' is anyway. Everything I hear, if I can dance to it, is northern soul to me. If it's new to my ears even better. I'm having the time of my life. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest I KNOW NOTHING

Seems to me that the quality new discoveries are few and far between these days as it's already been stated here to find a new 60's record to compare with the now classics is now rare in it's self, however perhaps the injection to freshen things up is sitting right under our noses, I've started to revisit things which I used to have or which passed me by before and when you actually start to play one or two things it's easy to see that some records take on a whole new life and you forget how good they actually are, quality is quality from whatever era.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/more/soul-library/72390-angie-jones-lovers-holiday-bad-weather-inc/ TRY THIS OUT

Social source share

BAZ A.

:thumbsup: PMSL

Great post Baz btw!

Edited by PhilT
Social source share

The last time I truely felt enthused by a northern soul discovery which had the lot was Jesse James early nineties and the first time I heard Andy Dyson PLAY one track mind -on chance !-

BAZ A.

so wait till you hear the flipside "I`m Surprised" which is the side I prefer playing out for the first time for a new enthusing moment. LOL Seriously though great post baz :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest I KNOW NOTHING

How can you talk about the DJ with a box full of quality cheapies when you've never heard him DJ? You can comment on a DJ with a box full of big money records ....because you hear them DJ every week. It's not peples mindsets that needs to change Chalky, as in my experience a large number of dancers don't give a sh*t if the record they are dancing to is worth 50p or £5k they just care if it's good danceable soul, it's the majority of promoters who need to change their mindset and give a few different DJs a chance to show what tehy can do. Not only in the 'dead' times like the first hour either but in more prime time spots.

hear hear. i quite agree with th "little guy" having a chance. and not just to warm the needles up.

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

without wanting to start another oldies v newies war, i'm wondering where the next "classic" is coming from!...is it feasible to suggest that the traditional northern 45 discoveries are dried up?. i don't frequent any up front venues these days as the records i hear don't blow me away. i'm not implying they are no good, just not as good as the sounds i was first hearing about 7 or 8 years ago,whe i would hear stuff like the jokers "soul sound" for instance, those were wtf is this moments, iknow a lot of tunes in the progressive venues are new, but not by definition traditional northern,,

whatit was like all those years ago ,when every week you would go to a venue and be hearing sound after sound what are now regarded as classics. what i would give to go out and hear something like duke browner or landslide for the first time.

It seems that every so often someone somewhere says "The sounds are not as good as they used to be"? It was happening in 75/76,then 78/79, and after according to the evidence. It always gave oldies fans an excuse not to move on, or those who were dissillusioned to leave the scene.

It was happening again in the early 90's, and recurs again today.

Even i sometimes think that at times, but it's all about perspective, favourite golden eras, etc.

Records i had that were deemed not good enough, okay, or not my cup of tea at the time were sold on/ heard years ago on tape, then got played at some venue and sounded good. In some cases brilliant.

But losing touch with the scene, changing tastes and priorities, all reflect on whether the sounds are as good as they used to be.

Maybe we pick up on the shite records more these days and use them as a yardstick? Don't know?

But as ever the scene and it's workings change, i just don't give it much thought or worry about it these days, just look through my own collection for inspiration if i'm lacking.

I'd agree with the posts from Phil T and Mark Bicknell to use as examples.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

mark bicknall's right........records l didn,t care for back in the day sound great today slipped into a corking dance set ( jackie lee "would you believe" ) played at burnley in the middle of fred kroll's set that shows great imagination whilst still keeping the room upbeat....and fook me freds got some super rare stuff...........MIX IT UP!!!!, BUT KEEP IT UPBEAT!!!! and ya can,t fail peggy b

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

It seems that every so often someone somewhere says "The sounds are not as good as they used to be"? It was happening in 75/76,then 78/79, and after according to the evidence. It always gave oldies fans an excuse not to move on, or those who were dissillusioned to leave the scene.

It was happening again in the early 90's, and recurs again today.

Even i sometimes think that at times, but it's all about perspective, favourite golden eras, etc.

Records i had that were deemed not good enough, okay, or not my cup of tea at the time were sold on/ heard years ago on tape, then got played at some venue and sounded good. In some cases brilliant.

But losing touch with the scene, changing tastes and priorities, all reflect on whether the sounds are as good as they used to be.

Maybe we pick up on the shite records more these days and use them as a yardstick? Don't know?

But as ever the scene and it's workings change, i just don't give it much thought or worry about it these days, just look through my own collection for inspiration if i'm lacking.

I'd agree with the posts from Phil T and Mark Bicknell to use as examples.

yes i agree with all your points, great music still comes out of the studio's new or recently discovered, and i like most of it, just to re-itterate , it is the traditional 4 beats to the bar..motownesque tunes that i was asking the question of....have they all dried up ?

Social source share

Hmm, from the hardcore collectors perspective it may depend on age and crate digging years to be able to find a few new personal soul gems again and again !!!! I believe finding new 4 beats 2 the bar monsters which float your boat is for many hardcore oldtimers a little on the thin side but I believe for a dancer of any age there are still quite a few left!!! Anyway it goes round in circles and in 20 years time most of the big soul brains will be replaced with fresh or medium fried soul brains so then many tunes will be new to quite a few soulies all over again !!! :hatsoff2:

Edited by viphitman
Social source share

YES ,AGREE TOTALY, TO MANY D.J.S (RECORD COLLECTORS ON DECKS!!) RELY ON HEARING WHAT

OTHER PEOPLE ARE PLAYING INSTEAD OF FINDING THERE OWN STUFF.

LOADS OF FINE TUNES COMING OUT EVERY DAY.?

HERE'S A COUPLE I HAPPENED ON RECENTLY

ALTHOUGH THESE ARE SIXTIES TUNES. STILL-JAY & THE TECNIQUES (B.SIDE OF STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE).

DRIFTERS-IF YOU DONT COME BACK.( B.SIDE OF RAT RACE.)

JAMO THOMAS- STOP THE BABY.

YOU MAY KNOW EM I DID'NT.??

Social source share

Come on...there are plenty of records out there

All you need is a bit of faith and imagination

I've been buying records sincr 1972...bought many "blind"...no mp3/soundfile etc...some were crap..SOME ..are now big ticket records

You only need to look at the sales threads...the ones that are left like the unattractive spinsters are the unknowns/semi knowns..people wont take a punt

There are records out ther that are knowns but very rare..semi knowns and less expensive items that could be "big"

If you remenber the days of the Torch/Casino records were hammered till they broke..

Pulled a few bits out of the box for consideration

Helene Smith Pot can't talk about the Kettle Blue Star

Contessa Breakaway Las Bar

Lena Mone You Stay On My Mind ASP

Bonnie Graham I Confess Preview

Timmy Carr Workin Kee

Ebonies I Cant Help But Love You Avis

Jack Harden She'll BeBack Star Shot

The Contenders I'll Show You How To Love Beth

Soul Sounds Inc The Word Called Love June

etc etc etc

And that's not including acetates /Unissued etc

Surely there are lots more that can fill that gap

All is not lost................

Have a little faith and imagination

Edited by john parker
Social source share

How can we have the same emotions about the records we first heard as we did when it was all new to us.We over analyse things too much now,so it's never going to happen.For me the records are out there whether it's a new discovery or something missed in the past,I still find plenty to keep me excited :D

Cheers

Martyn

Totally with you on this Martyn, not DJ'ing now myself I'm having more fun than I have in a long time buying, selling picking up things I let go, things that passed me by, like you say there is enough out there to keep us all interested in the music, one major thing I have done is let go some of the bigger trophy type records and invested the money in more records basically selling one and buying twenty or thirty bits and bobs, there are some stunning bargains out there if you dig a little, odd ball classic soul demos etc. for pennies, as for finding the next George Blackwell or Dena Barnes I'm not sure but we have forty years of the scenes music to go at so I think all you can really ask for is to gel all the best bits together which from a club perspective should keep the dance floors happy, if not carry on collecting for yourself is exactly what I do now.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Without wanting to offend a really good friend :yes: .............Not exactly storming northern soul !is it Dave(nice record ,but for me nothing more)

Original question? where are the traditional? northern sounds crash bang wallop!!! mostly ,As Mark said, go back and listen to the older sounds and the new things just don´t compare.

I am not an oldies advocate i might add,am always interested to hear new things ,there still are many sounds to re-visit though thats for sure :lol: and for many newcomers they really do get quality that slipped by when the pop stuff started to take over!!

Steve

ps Dave, you finally your dream scene pal FUUUUUNKY MAAAN :D :D :lol: Check out some of myold tapes from about 75´should find some more "new" things hee hee

Now thats a tune that would awake me at dawn...... excellent

Do I want some overplayed or forgotton bygone or this fight fight no contest, keep diggin

Social source share

Agree about Paul Vann One Track Mind.................superb.....

Just thinking about I'm surprised jogged the old grey matter

Tiaras........Surprise/Foolish Girl.........................although a few years old now.....an example of things turning up outside the established classics remit

Edited by john parker
Social source share

Andy Dyson been playing One Track Mind and occasionally the other side (which isn't as good played out) for 5 or 6 years. One Track Mind has been on a Goldmine CD for years as well but no one was interested in it :(

When Sam got a copy he actually reviewed I'm Surprised in Manifesto (Ithink it was) uncovered whilst Andy still had them covered up, don't thibnk many realised or didn't read it.

Social source share

Agree about Paul Vann One Track Mind.................superb.....

Just thinking about I'm surprised jogged the old grey matter

Tiaras........Surprise/Foolish Girl.........................although a few years old now.....an example of things turning up outside the established classics remit

Tiaras is just about one of the worst records I have ever heard. Both sides are pants.

Edited by jumpinjoan
Social source share

Tiaras is just about one of the worst records I have ever heard. Both sides are pants.

Heyup ,Joan

You don't mince you're words do ya ohmy.gif

Glad you got That off your chest so early in the day,it should put you in a great mood for tonight.lol

Plus the fact Gaz text me to say he's coming to lifeline.

Seeya later :(

Social source share

Heyup ,Joan

You don't mince you're words do ya :D

Glad you got That off your chest so early in the day,it should put you in a great mood for tonight.lol

Plus the fact Gaz text me to say he's coming to lifeline.

Seeya later :(

Well there is only one way you can say pants :thumbsup:

No doubt we will hear it tonight and it will pack the floor so job done thumbsup.gif

See you all later :yes:

Social source share

Well there is only one way you can say pants :D

No doubt we will hear it tonight and it will pack the floor so job done :(

See you all later thumbup.gif

Don't be surprised if when you hear i tonight ......it's announced as a request for ...you hoo :thumbsup::yes:

Social source share

Blasphemy!

I usually agree with your points and tastes, Joan, but you've gone too far this time yes.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

Only a thought here ...but regarding " new discoveries"

Unless you already know everything what difference does it make ?

Im 100% sure there are things that im gonna hear between now and this time next yr whilst out and about ,that are gonna blow me away and im gonna say " what the f**k is this "?

The scene has changed at a very fast pace over the last 20-30 yrs and with ebay throwing up new things on a weekly basis ,unissued items being found etc ,why cant we all just enjoy the many great tunes that for one reason or another have yet had a chance to be aired .

Things that havent seen the light of day because the "big ticket " exclusive tunes have dominated the rare scene .

Out of interest just how many people can honestly say when PAUL S posted up those two big 45's in sales in December they were blown away and thought ..wow!

But to some people they were well known and had been played at certain venues ......or are we just talking about when is Butch gonna drop the next big mello souls on the decks ?

Social source share

Only a thought here ...but regarding " new discoveries"

Unless you already know everything what difference does it make ?

Im 100% sure there are things that im gonna hear between now and this time next yr whilst out and about ,that are gonna blow me away and im gonna say " what the f**k is this "?

The scene has changed at a very fast pace over the last 20-30 yrs and with ebay throwing up new things on a weekly basis ,unissued items being found etc ,why cant we all just enjoy the many great tunes that for one reason or another have yet had a chance to be aired .

Things that havent seen the light of day because the "big ticket " exclusive tunes have dominated the rare scene .

Out of interest just how many people can honestly say when PAUL S posted up those two big 45's in sales in December they were blown away and thought ..wow!

But to some people they were well known and had been played at certain venues ......or are we just talking about when is Butch gonna drop the next big mello souls on the decks ?

I said something along these lines in an earlier post.

We don't all get to hear tunes at the same time so there will be DJs breaking new discoveries to someone every weekend.

Until everyone knows every single record can there really be a true new discovery?

Social source share

I said something along these lines in an earlier post.

We don't all get to hear tunes at the same time so there will be DJs breaking new discoveries to someone every weekend.

Until everyone knows every single record can there really be a true new discovery?

Impossible question isnt it Joan ?

I bet there are people out there who have things that Butch or Andy have yet to hear ,just as there are things John Manship ,Tim Brown and Pat Brady havent ever seen or sold and are not listed .

My point really is ,some people seem to only ever count the big tunes that get publicised because so and so played em etc etc ...

Seeya soon for hopefully the night of the yr so far and a load of new tunes :lol:

Social source share

just picked up a superb version of the homer banks song "hooked by love" done by lloyd hendricks. Spelt loyd on this release.

its an uptempo gritty version and presses all the right buttons for me, don';t think i've ever heard it mentiond on forums or played by a DJ......

i'm not claiming it as a new discovery as I know its known by collectors but its certainly worthy of some plays and would be unknown to a lot of people.

without wanting to sound rude we realy don;'t want to be waiting for DJs to play records like "one track mind" you need to be looking for them before they get played by DJs ....

otherwise we would all just be trying to find the same records played by the few very top DJs and thats not right.

Social source share

Now then Joan

Wasn't really commenting on whther The Tiaras was good/bad or indifferent....just that ....like it or not...it has crossed over to join the "Classic"...Hall of fame

That's only in my ever so 'umble opinion :lol:

I agree, my post was not very constructive.

If this was a £10 tune would it have been given floor room? Of course people will say it would have because it is 'brilliant'. I very much doubt it though.

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

about right, but that cant explain the fact that tunes like little bob, whoever he might be, cant become monsters like Morris Chestnut -in the ear of the beholder

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert