Paul

Cartridge / Stylus

Hello

I thought it would be interesting to discuss cartridge and stylus etc.

Thinking mainly about sound quality but also considering durability and affordability etc.

I mainly use Stanton carts on my 1210s, usually 500s but I just tried a Stanton 890 SA (almost twice as loud) and I also fancy trying Stanton Groovemaster V3 or Shure M44-G (not Shure M44-7) so I thought I'd ask for opinions.

What are your preferences ?

Hello

Thinking mainly about sound quality but also considering durability and affordability etc.

I mainly use Stanton carts on my 1210s, usually 500s but I just tried a Stanton 890 SA (almost twice as loud) and I also fancy trying Stanton Groovemaster V3 or Shure M44-G (not Shure M44-7) so I thought I'd ask for opinions.

I have allways used Stanton 500 series, found them to be good and reliable, bit out of touch nowadays (ex audiophile) but a friend goes nuts for

the Ortofon cartridges and has them fitted to his 1200s.

I have allways used Stanton 500 series, found them to be good and reliable, bit out of touch nowadays (ex audiophile) but a friend goes nuts for

the Ortofon cartridges and has them fitted to his 1200s.

Yeh i use Ortofon gold cartridge ... with elliptical stylus ... the dogs nuts. :thumbsup: not cheap mind

Edited by Naughty Boy

i purchased some shure wl's last year with whlb written on the side all i know is that there pants compared to the stanton 500's maybe ive purchased the wrong ones or somthing i dont know , but side by side the stanton came out best . i would be grateful if anyone could enlighten me ....could they be dodgy or somthing as ive lent the decks out a few times may be got damaged i dont know

I was recommended the Sure M44-7, or M44-G, they're basically the same. The friend that recommended them has a friend working as a sound engineer for Sure and said that they're the best for 45s. Still waiting for them to come through the post, though...

I was recommended the Sure M44-7, or M44-G, they're basically the same. The friend that recommended them has a friend working as a sound engineer for Sure and said that they're the best for 45s. Still waiting for them to come through the post, though...

Hello Dante,

That's interesting. I was told the M44-7 and M44-G were different, the M44-7 being better for scratching / tracking and the M44-G being more musical. I've heard that the M44-7 has a brighter sound which can get a bit tiresome after a while.

I'm sure they're both excellent for tracking but if the M44-G are supposedly so much better musically I would expect that would be because of a difference in the cartridge. But, if you're saying the carts are basically the same, then the difference must be because of the stylus.

If the carts are the same, then in theory I could just buy a pair of M44-7 carts but also buy extra stylus of the M44-G type, then I'd get a comparison and the best of both worlds.

Does that make sense?

But I still fancy trying Stanton Groovemaster V3 as well and it's obviously expensive to buy two or three new pairs of carts and stylus just to do a comparison. By the way, I've noticed the retail prices in the USA are about half of what they sell for here in the UK (almost £200 a pair).

Paul

Hello Dante,

That's interesting. I was told the M44-7 and M44-G were different, the M44-7 being better for scratching / tracking and the M44-G being more musical. I've heard that the M44-7 has a brighter sound which can get a bit tiresome after a while.

I'm sure they're both excellent for tracking but if the M44-G are supposedly so much better musically I would expect that would be because of a difference in the cartridge. But, if you're saying the carts are basically the same, then the difference must be because of the stylus.

If the carts are the same, then in theory I could just buy a pair of M44-7 carts but also buy extra stylus of the M44-G type, then I'd get a comparison and the best of both worlds.

Does that make sense?

But I still fancy trying Stanton Groovemaster V3 as well and it's obviously expensive to buy two or three new pairs of carts and stylus just to do a comparison. By the way, I've noticed the retail prices in the USA are about half of what they sell for here in the UK (almost £200 a pair).

Paul

Hey Paul,

Sorry, forgot about this thread and just saw your questions.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. After doing a bit of research both in Shure web and other forums I found out that the M44-7 and M44-G carts are exactly the same and the difference is in the stylus.

But they aren't too different, ether. The one for the M44-7 has higher output (not always good for home use) and better tracking, which I assume might do a bit more harm to records?

So yeah, buying either cartridge and one of each stylus is probably the best way to decide. For now, as money is tight I just picked up the M44-G. If I get some spare cash I'll get the -7 stylus to compare.

I bought it off US eBay for $80 inc. shipping to Mexico. Pretty reasonable, IMO

Dante

PS Just went to Shure's web again and here's the only two difference between the STYLI for the -7 and -G:

M44-7

Output: 9.5 mV RMS at 5 cm/sec peak velocity

Tracking force: Range: 1.5 to 3 grams

M44-G

Output: 6.2 mV RMS at 5 cm/sec peak velocity

Tracking force: Range: 0.75 to 1.5 grams

Hope it helps!

Hello

Stanton 890s if your using 'em for DJing...500s for general use

Hey Paul,

Sorry, forgot about this thread and just saw your questions.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. After doing a bit of research both in Shure web and other forums I found out that the M44-7 and M44-G carts are exactly the same and the difference is in the stylus.

But they aren't too different, ether. The one for the M44-7 has higher output (not always good for home use) and better tracking, which I assume might do a bit more harm to records?

So yeah, buying either cartridge and one of each stylus is probably the best way to decide. For now, as money is tight I just picked up the M44-G. If I get some spare cash I'll get the -7 stylus to compare.

I bought it off US eBay for $80 inc. shipping to Mexico. Pretty reasonable, IMO

Dante

PS Just went to Shure's web again and here's the only two difference between the STYLI for the -7 and -G:

M44-7

Output: 9.5 mV RMS at 5 cm/sec peak velocity

Tracking force: Range: 1.5 to 3 grams

M44-G

Output: 6.2 mV RMS at 5 cm/sec peak velocity

Tracking force: Range: 0.75 to 1.5 grams

Hope it helps!

Thanks Dante,

I thought it was strange that the M44-7 and M44-G carts were the same (apart from the stylus) buit it seems they are so I'll try one and will buy a stylus of each type for comparison.

Paul

For budget I can also recommend the Shure M44-G.

The Ortofon 2M series is great, I only have experience of the flagship Black one but the more budget ones are suppose to be great value for money.

http://www.needledoc...Phono-Cartridge

Denon DL-103 is a classic, but moving coil style so will require a MC step up converter.

Thanks Karl, it's nice to have another recommendation.

Stanton 890s if your using 'em for DJing...500s for general use

Hello Steve

I have 890 SA and 500s, the 890 SA is much louder but it also compresses the signal a bit so it's not always good for what I want.

Paul

After problems with shipping and with my turntable I finally hooked up my M44-G.

All I can say is they're absolutely fantastic. Sound is clear and loud. I seriously doubt 45s can sound any better. And all this even with my so-so pre amp. Only slight problem I see is the output might be a little too high for some home systems, but that's all. And for $69.00 USD (cartridge and stylus), I doubt you'll get anything even close...

The Ortofon 2M series is great, I only have experience of the flagship Black one but the more budget ones are suppose to be great value for money.

I agree. I'm using one of the "budget ones" at the moment - the Ortofon 2M Blue and it's superb. I actually A/B compared it to a Shure M44-G which I bought a couple of weeks ago and the Ortofon cartridge is miles better (to my ears, perhaps should be noted).

The sound of the M44-G is great for DJing purposes (where you're constantly supposed to adjust the gain/treble/mid/bass anyway) but at home sounds a bit dull, bass-heavy and unfocused at the top end compared to the 2M Blue which has got a much clearer (but not shrill) sound and more depth and well defined bass.

The 2M Blue is a bit pricier than the M44-G, but it's definitely worth it in my opinion. :lol:

I did have the Ortofon Red Rondo M/C but when it wore out i decided it was just too bloody expensive, and settled for the Sumiko Blue Point No 2 Moving-Coil cartridge and i am more than happy with it on my Pro-Ject Xperience turntable. But fitting these delicate cartridges is a nightmare, my sausage fingers are useless, you need to employ a child around 9 years old with spider like fingers, hawk like vision and hope they don't have a drink problem just so you can attach the miniscule headshell screws..........

Brett F

Edited by Brett F

I've got a couple of different cartridges and stylii (Ortofon, Stanton, Shure) but I can never get any of them to sound just right.

However, I'm not really sure how to set up tracking, santi-skate. i follow instructions that I've downloaded but never seem to get it right. Weight to height of cartridge and all that malarkey. Just defeats me.

Phil

Guest TrimmTrab

I was viewing a similar thread earlier, think I'll give the Shure ones a go.

Stanton 500s - how long have yours lasted, I bought a pair with headshells, carts, styli less than a year ago, haven't used them much and they sound shocking, terrible. They did improve a little after balancing the arms a bit more but I found that I had to put some real weight on the headshells and arm to get a better sound. Exactly what you're not supposed to do.

Mad really, all the money spent on vinyl and most of us are ready to take the cheapest option on playing it.

A conical Stylus should give better sound reproduction on worn records, with a slightly heavier tracking weight to push it into the groove. Careful tho, because it will wear them out quicker (especially styrene). An elliptical stylus is better for new or excellent condition vinyl.

Great thread.

But how can we compare like for like without all the expense?

And should we be considering different cartridges / stylii for pre 60s 45s?

I live in St.Helens and was wondering where I could go for hands on advice.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

• 1 posts
    • 148 reads
    • donkit
    • 11 May 2018
    • 3 posts
    • 360 reads
    • donkit
    • 13 Apr 2018
    • 1 posts
    • 223 reads
    • themroc
    • 06 Apr 2018
    • 1 posts
    • 209 reads
    • donkit
    • 17 Mar 2018
    • 3 posts
    • 344 reads
    • donkit
    • 11 Mar 2018
    • 8 posts
    • 794 reads
    • donkit
    • 17 Nov 2017
    • 3 posts
    • 774 reads
    • donkit
    • 15 Nov 2017

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.