What Are You Spinning At Home ?

Hill868

Hello any Soul Source watchers - I'm drinking BULMERS CIDER !!!! and spinning these current favourites : TURN ME LOOSE - LEON AUSTIN / GET OUT OF MY LIFE - MARVA WHITNEY (both KING) // DON'T YOU KNOW I LOVE YOU - M. LANCE (UK Contempo) // PLEASE LOVE ME - BETTY EVERETT (One-der=ful) // THIS COULD BE THE NIGHT - RB HUDMON (Atlantic) // PLAYED OUT PLAY GIRL - ARTHUR FREEMAN (Excello) // TLC - SOUL MERCHANTS (Moonville USA) // IF AT FIRST - ENERGETICS (TOP-Top) // TALK DON'T BOTHER ME - PROPHETs (Jubillee) // JUST A DREAM - IMP WONDERS (Day-Wood) // I'M A CYDER DRINKER - WURZELS (Somersetpissup) .... God bless SOUL MUSIC and C-I-D-E-R !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Brett F

Well i've had a couple of pints of John Smith extra smooth, and i have played Spanky Wilson - Doin' It - LP on Mothers Records and Snarf Company, quality album, big fan of ' That Love A Woman Should Give A Man' track, also the excellent Esther Phillips anthology double LP on Soul Brothers , the fantastic unreleased (until this album) 'Brother Brother' and the 12" single by Timo Lassy 'Sweet Spot' on Ricky Tick records.............Plus the superb Marcia Shines LP by Marcia Hines on Wizard records and lastly i'm dipping into the 'The Last Soul Company' a six compact disk set. A thirty year retrospective of the Malaco label, its something i've had for years yet barely bothered with..............There is an excellent book with it and there is a killer photograph of that 'Cat' McKinley Mitchell in a ' Kick-Ass-Suit '.....

Cheers.....beer.gif

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Guest biggray1

Bloodstone Lp called I need time wich is a masterpiece of 70s soul my fav from the Lp is the track Closer Together. Also listend to The Three Temprees Lp Uk Stax and The ImPressions Lp called Times have Changed,this Lp has the awesome Potent Love in there wich is a Mayfield Classic..still listenin...Oh and had copious amounts of Tetley Tea..cant beat it :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Listening to a load of re-issues. bootlegs and duplicate originals to grade and sell on ebay. i might get enough to buy something nice so far done 102 but got another 62 to grade. How can 1 person end up with 4 copies of the flasher on route?

Do you think that i should sell them individually or as a lot of 164 records and hope for the best. ranges from fair to ex with no skips or jumps (might get a wanna be dj buying them lol)

gogs

Social source share

• 3 years later...

Hello any Soul Source watchers - I'm drinking BULMERS CIDER !!!! and spinning these current favourites : TURN ME LOOSE - LEON AUSTIN / GET OUT OF MY LIFE - MARVA WHITNEY (both KING) // DON'T YOU KNOW I LOVE YOU - M. LANCE (UK Contempo) // PLEASE LOVE ME - BETTY EVERETT (One-der=ful) // THIS COULD BE THE NIGHT - RB HUDMON (Atlantic) // PLAYED OUT PLAY GIRL - ARTHUR FREEMAN (Excello) // TLC - SOUL MERCHANTS (Moonville USA) // IF AT FIRST - ENERGETICS (TOP-Top) // TALK DON'T BOTHER ME - PROPHETs (Jubillee) // JUST A DREAM - IMP WONDERS (Day-Wood) // I'M A CYDER DRINKER - WURZELS (Somersetpissup) .... God bless SOUL MUSIC and C-I-D-E-R !!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Wife has gone out for the evening, so the Technics system is getting cranked up, helped by a very conservative !! dribbling of alcoholic beverages. Spinning mainly 70's-80's tonight :-
Heywood Cash - You're messing up a good thing     (Epic)

David Ruffin -  Discover me   (UK T Motown)
Street People  -  I wanna get over   (Spring)

Bobby Jonz   -   Thought you were lovin me  (Expansion)

Jay Poole  -  I love you  (Mable)

D Train  -  Walk on by  (Prelude)

Creative Source  -  You're too good to be true (Sussex)

Archie Bell  -  Harder and harder  (Beckett)

Topics  -  Women's liberation  (Castle)

D. Ross / M. Gaye  -  My mistake was to love you (Motown)

Herbert Lacy  - Give me /  a chance (Georgia gar)

Brad Lundy  - I could never have another (UK Pyramid - is this rare??

Raymond Martin  -  Guilty of loving you  (Composers)

Serena Johnson -  ALL work and no play (Big 2)

Some lovely modern Northern and crossover spins there folks, and I must mention the drinks,  Kingstone press classic Cider  /  Huber US Prem Beer  /  Isla Negra 2012 Cabernet Sauvignon  /  Bass No. 1  Pale Ale  / Moorhouse Black Cat Ruby Ale  .... Keep the Faittthhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Helpful 2
Social source share

For me  - a couple of lagers and a glass of wine

With these on the turntable

Bobby Womack - Daylight

Bobby Womack - Nobody wants you when you're down and out

Maxine Brown - It's gonna be alright

Phillip Mitchell - It's the little things that count

Esther Phillips - Home is where the hatred is

Sharon Ridley - Where did you learn to make love the way you do

And plenty more - Adam

• Helpful 3
Social source share

just had a full blast half hour whilst the missus was in the bath....no beer...just a brew and these 45's

Cajun hart-gotta find a way-w/bros

imaginations-strange neighbourhood-fraternity

linda jones-just cant live my life-w/bros

gentlemen four-cant keep a good man down-wand

little Richie-just another heartache-sound stage

lee Andrews-ive had it-crimson

smith brothers-there can be a better way-soul dimension

jack Montgomery-don't turn your back on me-barracuda

cole & the grandures-i need you-chi sound

james lately-love friends and money-temple

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Listening to a load of re-issues. bootlegs and duplicate originals to grade and sell on ebay. i might get enough to buy something nice so far done 102 but got another 62 to grade. How can 1 person end up with 4 copies of the flasher on route?

Do you think that i should sell them individually or as a lot of 164 records and hope for the best. ranges from fair to ex with no skips or jumps (might get a wanna be dj buying them lol)

gogs

should get 10p each for the flasher then again an old wigan dj might pay more

Social source share

should get 10p each for the flasher then again an old wigan dj might pay more

Think i got 25p each so that was another pound into the kitty

Edited by Gogs
Social source share

But just recently listening to a very old tape that i found tucked away at the back off a drawer. Only problem is that it has "Baby don't you weep" on it, that got stolen off me over 30 years ago & "i want to give you tomorrow" that i only got 20 years ago.

Social source share

i teach at a military institution (for mid-career officers) and DJ for fun at local cafes/pubs etc. my students come to my sets with their wives, but they don't know the music - so i make free sampler CDs for them to get a taste of soul/funk.

here is a 12-song set i just burned 30 copies of for my guys (and been listening to myself):

Dorothy and the Hesitations - work out a plan
Willie Gresham and the Free Food Tickets - step by step
Charles Brimmer - feeling is in my heart
Little Archie - all i have to do
Velvet Hammer - happy
Mel Britt - she'll come running back
Pearlean Gray - i don't want to cry
Shirley and Jessie - you can't fight love
Betty Moorer - speed up
Thelma Jones - here comes the heartbreak 
De Vons - someone to treat me (way you used to)
Festivals - you got the makings of a lover

Edited by ljblanken
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

• 4 months later...

Just downing another bottle of Morrisons cider, Wychwood Hobgoblin ale, Spanish Brandy, and Shiraz to follow. some toones spinning  -    //  Hang on - Gene Mcdaniels (Liberty)  //  In midnight hour - Reba Thomas / Van Lee Cruisers (Vantone)  //  Happy feeling - Brethren (Teen Town)  //  Since I lost the one I love - Impressions (ABC Paramount)  //  Let me love you - Bud Harper (Peacock) //  The Hunch - Bobby Peterson Quintet (Top Rank Spain)  //  Gonna win you back - Contours (Motor City)  //  Lovin'is really my game - Brainstorm (UK Miracle)  //  We must be in love - 5 Stairsteps (Curtom)  //  Man's temptation - Clarence Mann (T&M)  // See that girl - Jimmy Wilson (UK Decca)  //  Can't wait til tomorrow - Johnny Gill (White label 12") //  Half stepping - Smooth and CO (UK Move)  //  Deeper - The Cheques (Heat wave)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Not quite at home but yesterday i had to go into hospital for a minor op and they were playing a NS cd, i wasn't altogether with it and still not quite my normal self, but i heard Laura Greene?- Moonlight music and you,  Al Wilson- The snake, Barbara Acklin- Am i the same girl, James and Bobby Purify- shake a tail feather cant remember the next track but i was (still am) a bit out of it.

Social source share

My home on the week is a tin can, better known as a lorry. So it's the iPod whilst at work. New CDs loaded on it this week are the Brent one from Kent, half a dozen plays this week, fantastic. Barbara Lewis and Dee Dee Warwick Atco/Atlantic collections and Donny Hathaway 4 cd anthology set.

Should be a few lps waiting for me when I get home.

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Social source share

Some nice choices in there Peter, a lot of my favourites as well.

Dave

Ah thanks Dave - nice one.

Only started collecting again in the last few years having all but sold up. I don't have any mega rare records but I have some stunning soul records. Learning all the time from my soul buddies on here and elsewhere and I'm often playing catch up. I like where I am on my soul journey.

Peter

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Only started collecting again in the last few years having all but sold up. I don't have any mega rare records but I have some stunning soul records. Learning all the time from my soul buddies on here and elsewhere and I'm often playing catch up. I like where I am on my soul journey.

Peter

You're welcome Peter. I've had that Dynamic Superiors track for years and never tire of playing it.  I also love the instrumental flip to "Beginning of my life" and as for that Sam Dees LP, not a bad track on it, but "good guys" is pretty special to my ears.

Take care,

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You're welcome Peter. I've had that Dynamic Superiors track for years and never tire of playing it.  I also love the instrumental flip to "Beginning of my life" and as for that Sam Dees LP, not a bad track on it, but "good guys" is pretty special to my ears.

Take care,

Dave

The Show Must Go On album is extraordinary Dave - arguably one of the best soul albums ever produced - sublime. 

All the best mate.

Peter

• Helpful 3
Social source share

The one's around my turntable tonight are - The New York Rock Exchange - "Hey Baby", Silent Majority - Colors Of My Love / Frightened Girl, Jimmy Elledge - Sad Town, Dennis Ballew & the Plain Truth - You Could Be Falling In Love, Bobby Boyd & The Playboys - You Don't Have To Be Crazy, In-Men Ltd - Little Girl, Roy Smith - I Can Remember and finally Richie Havens - I've Gotta Go (which I've been hammering this week).

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Peter

Take care,

Dave

I've also had the Dynamic Superiors track for years (great track) but as of yet i've never played it out, that will change when i do an across the board all-dayer next month. Make a nice change to get away from oldies nites. Sorry to say this as i always listen to other sides, but think i must have missed this one, especially as i love instrumentals (will fix this in the morning).

Social source share

Here is what I just played: Boots Randolph - Take  letter, Biddu Orchestra - Exodus, King Errison - Zola, Derek & Ray - Interplay, Grand Piano Company - Esperanto, Baltimore & Ohio Marching band - Condition Red and Mood Mosaic - touch of velvet a string of brass; all instrumentals except last tune. I need to refresh my DJ box so gonna take a couple out, any suggestions which?

I deliberately don't take Willie Mitchell's Champion or driving beat because nearly every other DJ seems to carry em so no point in duplicating records. 

Social source share

Here is what I just played: Boots Randolph - Take  letter, Biddu Orchestra - Exodus, King Errison - Zola, Derek & Ray - Interplay, Grand Piano Company - Esperanto, Baltimore & Ohio Marching band - Condition Red and Mood Mosaic - touch of velvet a string of brass; all instrumentals except last tune. I need to refresh my DJ box so gonna take a couple out, any suggestions which?

I deliberately don't take Willie Mitchell's Champion or driving beat because nearly every other DJ seems to carry em so no point in duplicating records. 

Was it "find the worst instrumental ever" night?

Thats why Champion wasn't played  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

ive been playing through my chess singles, lots of great varied  stuff but knocked out by all the fontella bass  records "rescue me" we all know but "recovery" "safe and sound" and "i cant rest" are sooooo good.  Fantastic productions brilliant backing and vocals to die for. very motowny to me. there cant be many females that can match the quantity and quality of northern dance tunes!

Social source share

Was it "find the worst instrumental ever" night?

Thats why Champion wasn't played  :thumbsup:

I hear Willie Mitchell played such a lot that I try and keep alternative instrumentals for a change.

When I checked my demo of Luther Ingram Exus track I noticed a crack which went half way through the record even though it didn't affect play. Distraught didn't begin to describe my distress. After some research I identified a solution; a soldering iron could be used to weld styrene, my repair was to tack the edge and it appears to have worked..........phew!

I trust you would have no objection to hearing Exus track played or even Duke Browner instrumental crying over you.

Social source share

I hear Willie Mitchell played such a lot that I try and keep alternative instrumentals for a change.

When I checked my demo of Luther Ingram Exus track I noticed a crack which went half way through the record even though it didn't affect play. Distraught didn't begin to describe my distress. After some research I identified a solution; a soldering iron could be used to weld styrene, my repair was to tack the edge and it appears to have worked..........phew!

I trust you would have no objection to hearing Exus track played or even Duke Browner instrumental crying over you.

God no, they're great records

Social source share

The 3 from my modest box that i play most times i open it up are These 3 stormers.The Jimmy Robbins i was reminded of in a recent sales thread on here,The Alfreda Brockington i have had for ages, And Betty Harris a fantastic tune that i was put onto by Martyn Bird.Now just need to find a soul night where they get played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WvB-dTjdME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW3HeGsBT1g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAlQA79R940

Edited by Patto
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I don't normally go for instrumentals but you've got some crackers here. Rather than take any out I'd put the two Willie Mitchell's in - it's always handy to have some proven floor fillers. I'd love to look thru your DJ box - how many does it hold?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!