What Are You Spinning At Home ?

Hill868

Dug a couple of albums out, selected these 2

Think they both had 45 releases, people associate the Trammps and JB too much with the Disco thingy, but do some digging and they were as soulful as anyone or any group, certainly Jimmy Ellis, on lead with the Trammps is a fantastic singer in his own right, JB ? well, truly awesome

Kev

• Helpful 3
Social source share

A couple "other" sides & a new want have been big plays at this end recently.............

Eddie Wilson-Just Call On Me Tollie.........t'other side of "Toast To The Lady"

The Experts - Shing A Loo & Boog A Ling Big Mama Jo-By.......t'other side of "My Love Is Real"

Recently heard this out & it went straight on the wants list............

James Kelly Duhon - Pusher Man Jude

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

rightly so Kev, Cecil Shaw is an absolute keeper... :thumbsup: that Joe Odom is a dead ringer for Jerry Butler dont you think..

here's two I just got on Aussie release, Merry clayton is such a great singer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eE6DZ7vwzw&list=PLA48B51F0E77FCEBB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cR_Hk2wfvE

mal:-)

post-2025-0-26712500-1411557208_thumb.jp

post-2025-0-30203000-1411557572_thumb.jp

Edited by Mal C
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Dug a couple more out, that's the good thing about this thread, gets you up off your arse to have a dig through the record room, inspired by Chris's post of Joe Odum, another great version, Joe just tips it for me, though, they are both fantastic

Kev

Just dug the Barbara Mason out lately myself Kev - off to see her in Bilbao next month as you know. Strange 'Jimmy Bishop' wrote her song and 'Jerry Weaver' the Joe Odom ?

Mike

Social source share

https://youtu.be/XbpNwaG8pFA

https://youtu.be/NxRNODJzy8k

Kev which is the best version?

The Dells Chris, CH is marvellous, but when you go heads up against Johnny Carter and Marvin Junior, the next track on the Mighty Mighty Dells is also of the highest order, arguably my favourite tracks alongside each other on any album, "That special someone"

Awesome

Kev

Social source share

The Dells Chris, CH is marvellous, but when you go heads up against Johnny Carter and Marvin Junior, the next track on the Mighty Mighty Dells is also of the highest order, arguably my favourite tracks alongside each other on any album, "That special someone"

Awesome

Kev

Yep Dells for me also.

Social source share

Awesome

Kev

I didn't reliase for years that I actually had the Dells version Kev - always played the UK copy but left the US copy sealed filed next to it !!! totally different track listings but the same cover! 

Social source share

I didn't reliase for years that I actually had the Dells version Kev - always played the UK copy but left the US copy sealed filed next to it !!! totally different track listings but the same cover! 

Yes Mike, I think a lot of people own the British one not realising there are three (at least) incredible different tracks from (my preferred) the US issue, owning both is essential IMHO

Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

still feeling a bit downtempo and digging through some stuff to take to Blacktrackin' in Glasgow on Saturday............

gary

If you going to post stuff like this I hope you never recover from feeling downtempo, :thumbup: know and have the Keith Barrow, Tommie and Jackie

new to me, especially liked Tommie, written by Phillip Mitchell I noticed

Kev

Edited by kev cane
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

A clutch that tickled my fancy this morning......................

Weird ! I was just listening to that Betty Renay yesterday !!

Great Stuff there !!

Edited by Polyvelts
Social source share

At the Moment Before Entering SOULCAT (Its Worth A Visit) In Neukölln in Berlin - A Big Bottle Of Jägermeister :thumbsup: ... Listen To Jamie Coe, Troy Dodds, Len Wade, Vernon Harrell, Jame T. Horne And some More Popcorn Stuff ... 

FLIP OF SLICK CHICK  :)

Edited by Zanetti
Social source share

There's been a top[ ten LP's doing the rounds on another social media outlet and Millie Jackson Caught Up and Still Caught Up have featured a lot and with soul music like this you can see why...

Both LPs along with John Edwards' Aware LP are gracing my decks this morning in between jobs.

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Just got a box down to play through and the first half dozen or so are these -

Betty Brooks - There Must Be A Love Somewhere

Ed McCoy - We Can Love One Another

The Elusions - I'd Like To Say I Love You

Shep Grant - You'll Cry Tomorrow

Bobby Hutton - You're My Whole Reason

and currently on the deck is Burny Reynolds - Try Me.  I think a lot of the copies of this are pressed off centre & it sounds like the one in the vid below is suffering this problem.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just played these

Bobby Hutton- That's how heartaches are made

Shirley Vaughn- Watch out mr lonely

landy McNeil- Move it (move on)

Louis Dyer- Lonely drifter

Little Milton- You ought to be here with me

Lee Mitchell- Best shot

Junior Parker- I'm so satisfied

Ronny Shannon- One way street

Donnie Elbert- This feeling of losing you

J G Lewis- Let the music play

Oscar Toney JR- Ain't that true love

Now time for bed.

Social source share

Just played these

Bobby Hutton- That's how heartaches are made

Shirley Vaughn- Watch out mr lonely

landy McNeil- Move it (move on)

Louis Dyer- Lonely drifter

Little Milton- You ought to be here with me

Lee Mitchell- Best shot

Junior Parker- I'm so satisfied

Ronny Shannon- One way street

Donnie Elbert- This feeling of losing you

J G Lewis- Let the music play

Oscar Toney JR- Ain't that true love

Now time for bed.

Gogs

Love Landy McNeil

gary

Social source share

• 1 month later...

WHAT ARE YOU SPINNING / DRINKING AT HOME ....  1/ TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT - Norman Connors (Arista)  //  2/ I JUST WANT TO LOVE YOU - Stanley Clarke/George Duke (Epic)  //  3/ I WANT YOU FOR MYSELF - George Duke (Epic)  //  4/ YOU GOT TO CHANGE DIRECTION - Communications (RIGHT-ON)  // 5/ BABY DON'T YOU KNOW - Dusty Springfield (Philips)  // 6/ WHY IS LOVE SUCH A MIGHTY HARD THING - Flame & lovelights (Jaber)  // 7/ DREAMS OF A SHOESHINE BOY - Lightdrivers (Gemini)  // 8/ MAKE UP YOUR MIND - Earl Connelly (Maycon)  // 9/ ALL WORK AND NO PLAY - Serena Johnson (Big 2)  // 10/ DOWN IN THE GHETTO - Major 1V (Venture) // 11/ YOU TOOK MY HEART - James Brown (Polydor)  // 12/ LISTEN TO ME - Esquires (Capitol)  // 13/  I LIKE TO BE WITH YOU - Los Mozambiques (Happy)  // 14/ WHATS MISSING - Alex O'Neal (Tabu) 15/  I CAN'T MAKE IT WITHOUT YOU - Tyrone Davis (Dakar)  // 16/ STILL IN LOVE WITH YOU BOY - Marcia Aitken (Gibbs).  Top drinks for a very mild Sunday in Nov  -  YOUNGS DOUBLE CHOCOLATE STOUT / BATEMANS MOCHA BEER / YELLOWTAIL AUSTRALIAN SHIRAZ / THREE BARRELS FRENCH BRANDY

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Last half dozen for me this evening are -

Jesse Gomez - Lace

Royal Kingdom - Tryin' To Make It

Roy Jefferson with J.C.and the Soul Angeles - He's Got To Go (both sides, Partt1 & 2) cos I really like the instrumental flip.

Dee Dee Warwick - Don't You Ever Give Up On Me & We've Got Everything Going For Us

The Honey Bees - She Don't Deserve You

Frankie Newsom - Taunting Love

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!