Harold Melvin

grantdyche

Firstly not to sure if this is in the right forum,If not could you please move to the correct location,Thanks

I'm doing an online Northern Soul show next Sunday and I would like to give a little info on the tunes that I will be playing,Instead of "That was by The Blah Blah",

The question I have is,

Why was Harold Melvin And The Bluenotes "Get Out (And Let Me Cry)",Released in the U.K. on Route records and not on Philladelphia International,

Were they in dispute with Philly,Or was the song owned by somebody else,Or was it before they signed to P I R

Done a bit of searching but to no avail,

Found that it was released in the states on a label called Landa,And that Route records was part of the Pye label,

Many thanks.

Grant

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Firstly not to sure if this is in the right forum,If not could you please move to the correct location,Thanks

I'm doing an online Northern Soul show next Sunday and I would like to give a little info on the tunes that I will be playing,Instead of "That was by The Blah Blah",

The question I have is,

Why was Harold Melvin And The Bluenotes "Get Out (And Let Me Cry)",Released in the U.K. on Route records and not on Philladelphia International,

Were they in dispute with Philly,Or was the song owned by somebody else,Or was it before they signed to P I R

Done a bit of searching but to no avail,

Found that it was released in the states on a label called Landa,And that Route records was part of the Pye label,

Many thanks.

Grant

Landa was pre Philly International (and even pre Arctic I think). It was released in the UK due to Northern Soul demand - Route routinely issued quite a few in-demand Northern tunes at the time including Sheila Anthony, Elsie Strong and Mistura among others.

Actually, whilst we're on this subject, does anyone know whether the Teddy from Teddy & The Fingerpoppers of "Soul Groove" fame on Artic is actually Teddy Pendergrass? He used to be a drummer so it's feasible isn't it?

Ian D :)

Social source share

Landa was pre Philly International (and even pre Arctic I think). It was released in the UK due to Northern Soul demand - Route routinely issued quite a few in-demand Northern tunes at the time including Sheila Anthony, Elsie Strong and Mistura among others.

Actually, whilst we're on this subject, does anyone know whether the Teddy from Teddy & The Fingerpoppers of "Soul Groove" fame on Artic is actually Teddy Pendergrass? He used to be a drummer so it's feasible isn't it?

Many thanks for your reply Ian,

So did Philly just put it out to tender as such,First come first served etc,Because at the time there where loads of Philly sounds released in the UK,

Cant help on the "Fingerpoppers" question,

But the vocals on Get Out were by a guy called John Atkins,At least from the info I've come across,Some 5 years before Teddy P took the lead vocal position,

But you know the old "Tinternet" you never know

Social source share

Many thanks for all your help chaps,Helped me so much once again thanks,

I just did not want to do the radio thing without the info on the tunes I want to play,Nothing worse than blank spaces and errms and errs,So I thought it best to ask the people who know the answers,

Going out next Sunday 15.00 -- 17.00 Uk Time,WWW.Funkysential Radio .co.uk

Will be doing a "Whats On" Guide so if anyone wants a plug PM me on here and consider it done,

Once again many thanks to all.

Heres a link if you fancy a listen

https://www.funkysentialradio.co.uk/

Grant

Edited by grantdyche
Social source share

Is Teddy & The Fingerpoppers the exact same track as Cliff Nobles & Co · Gettin' Away flip of The Camel on Phil-La-of-Soul ?

Edited by Mike Lofthouse
Social source share

But the vocals on Get Out were by a guy called John Atkins,At least from the info I've come across,Some 5 years before Teddy P took the lead vocal position,

But you know the old "Tinternet" you never know

I've always understood it was Billy Paul on lead vocals, sure sounds like him. BP did actually join The blue notes for a very short time ................ hmmmmm

Social source share

I've always understood it was Billy Paul on lead vocals, sure sounds like him. BP did actually join The blue notes for a very short time ................ hmmmmm

No point in asking me I asked the first question on this thread,

The info I got on this point came from this web site

https://dereksdaily45.blogspot.com/2009/08/harold-melvin-blue-notes-get-out-and.html

Social source share

Definitely John Atkins on vocals - it would have been his first recording for them when he took over from Bernard Wilson in 1965

I'm not aware of Billy Paul ever being in the line up, either in the 60's or 70's

Teddy Pendergrass was with the Cadillacs before joining them

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!