Northern Soul Deejay's Of The Future ?

Suinoz

Guest 1STFRIEARL

I say give the young dj.s a go it is possible for them to keep with tradition with out them being traditionalists. As for talking between records there is no set rules to follow but a dj must entertain. And if any younger djs are reading this dont worry about playing a few boots as most dj,s over the years have sneaked a few in spots. In fact you could start a new thread big playing dj,s caught play boots over the years. ( Sit on the balcony at stoke, as they did in the past at wigan you may get a shock )

Social source share

I say give the young dj.s a go it is possible for them to keep with tradition with out them being traditionalists. As for talking between records there is no set rules to follow but a dj must entertain. And if any younger djs are reading this dont worry about playing a few boots as most dj,s over the years have sneaked a few in spots. In fact you could start a new thread big playing dj,s caught play boots over the years. ( Sit on the balcony at stoke, as they did in the past at wigan you may get a shock )

Loose connection to what you are talking about but similar, I remember watching Kamizra dj in Manchester for a good hour and a half,...then watch him take the cd he had been miming to out the cd player...it's always gone on and still does.

Did anyone enjoy themselves any less?

No.

Social source share

Loose connection to what you are talking about but similar, I remember watching Kamizra dj in Manchester for a good hour and a half,...then watch him take the cd he had been miming to out the cd player...it's always gone on and still does.

Did anyone enjoy themselves any less?

No.

thankfully all the young DJ`s I have mentioned before are playing ovo. so this goes to show they dont need to play boots or cd`s. Thank god they dont need or more imortant want to! No need to become a DJ if you havent got the real goods to deliver...be it a young gun or an "oldtimer"....dont want another debate wether ovo or not. Just my opinion.

:)

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

The mic use thing has been throughly wrung out on here before. I grew up with it, so when it's there, it doesn't bug me, unless they're mumblers or ranters of course. I can't stand people prattling over intros nightclub style and I've seen it from one of the UK scene's most notable jocks and not that long ago.

Edited by macca
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

thankfully all the young DJ`s I have mentioned before are playing ovo

Hey Marc, thanks for including me, I'm honoured hatsoff2.gif

Other suggestions by me include:

Peppe (Milan)

mostly r&b and soul, lots of quality obscurities you never hear!

James Pogson (London)

buying some great funky bits

Tomas McGrath (London)

quality uptempo soul & funk, and the youngest in this group!

Soulful Jules (Pordenone)

a massive collection of quality northern, R&B and crossover

Social source share

Cheers for the comment Tommaso - you ain't so bad yourself thumbsup.gif

Seems this thread has been stifled by the well-trodden and dull debate about original vinyl and mic use...

All the young DJ's mentioned only play original vinyl and thus the argument about the future of its dominance in soul clubs seem rather redundant... long live ovo! biggrin.gif

Social source share

All the young DJ's mentioned only play original vinyl

Not ALL mentioned play ovo i'm afraid Tomas. But certainly the ones i'd pay to go see definitely do, your good self included, and 99% of the others mentioned do.

Everyone has a choice (whether they be young or old) on the OVO front - mine happens to be OVO, more credibility i think...............Other than carvers of dog rare records, boots and look-a-like pressings, stardust releases etc tend to be for northern classic type nights anyway, which doesn't float my boat. Some people don't mind, some do, its an age old story.

Im sure some will read this whole thread and relate to the young DJ's who play at events they attend/circulate in (whether it be rare, underplayed, niter, forward thinking, classic oldies, cheesy motown pop nights etc) and judge them differently for their choice in vinyl originality. But it would be a shame to tarnish all young DJ's with the same brush so if you see young lads playing boots and re-issues, don't think inherrant in them all. Just my view of course.

Social source share

Hello everyone!

We - the members of the Swiss Soul Club - are organising a Weekender from 16th to 18th March 2012 in Lucerne/ Switzerland.

í…¾NOT TOO YOUNG" SWISS SOUL WEEKENDER

Why í…¾Not Too Young"?

Because we feel not too young:

• to spin records with forward-thinking and open-minded attitude
  • to be and become quality DJs
  • to read the floor properly
  • to fall in love with Soul Music with devotion

There are quite a lot of young and proper DJs and collectors in Europe. Most of them are progressive ones who are keen on using their knowledge and their spectrum of experience to push things forward. These are also DJs who - in our opinion - deserve closer attention within the European scene.

Hence we decided to create a platform for these ladies & gentlemen and hopefully can attract a great deal of your attention on our Weekender.

Here are the facts:

What: «NOT TOO YOUNG» Swiss Soul Weekender

When: Friday, 16th - Sunday, 18th March 2012

Who:

DJs for Friday & Saturday:

Headliner

ALFREDO MADDALONI (Do Yourself a Favour Salerno, Italy)

MS DIENEL (Breakdown Soul Club Stockholm, Sweden)

HELENA (Function Malm¶, Sweden)

SIR VIVOR (Upon My Soul Dresden, Germany)

SEBASTIAN GERSTUNG (Big Wheels Mainz, Germany)

Locals

RAPHI GRUENIG (Bamberg Soul Weekender)

FU MAN CHU (Smart Lion Zurich)

PAZI THE FIST (Smart Lion Zurich)

BUDDY FLO (Soul Yoga Lucerne)

HENNING BOOGALOO (Spin Club Lucerne)

EMEL ILTER (Spin Club Lucerne)

LIVE-ACT on Saturday @ SCHUUR:

To be confirmed.

Where:

Friday Allnighter, 9 p.m.: MADELEINE, Baselstrasse 15, Lucerne

Saturday Alldayer, 1 Â6 p.m.: LUZ SEEBISTRO, Bahnhofplatz, Lucerne

Saturday Allnighter, 9 p.m.: SCHUUR, Tribschenstrasse 1, Lucerne

(with Live Act)

Links:

Swiss Soul Club

Club Madeleine

Club Schuur

Caf LUZ

Further online information to follow...

Give it a try!

We invite you to come, listen and dance to the spins of the Northern Soul's future DJs!

At least you won't regret your trip as soon as you experience our lovely Lucerne... thumbsup.gif

If you need any further information concerning your trip and accommodation please don't hesitate to contact us!

Henning í…¾Boogaloo" Boerm (HBoogaloo)

Emel Ilter (emel)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!