Who Is Bidding?

Rotherham Soul

• Replies 21
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Acually think this is ok, according to Manships guide there is a large black arrow across the centre, still its in mint condition which will no doubt raise a few eyebrows

There are boots that look like the real ones. The originals have a Nashville Matrix stamp in the runout area. This is almost certainly an original since it is sold by a reputable seller. I have a mint (like brand new) original copy of Ronnie McNeir, nothing strange with that. Records that have been kept in storage for the last 40 years rather than having been used and abused in the UK (by being played with too heavy tone arm weight, with a nail for a stylus, and being pulled in and out of sand filled rough cardboard sleeves!) tend to be in nice shape. Ronnie McNeir is not the rarest 45 in the world either, there is a few of them kicking around.

Social source share

Acually think this is ok, according to Manships guide there is a large black arrow across the centre, still its in mint condition which will no doubt raise a few eyebrows

think manship is a bit outdated on that one. I know the old boots didnt have the arrow, but i'm sure there are lookie likie ones now. However, If as Christian says, it's soulbowls Mr A that is selling, then it has to be cosher, and just a dodgy looking scan. thumbsup.gif

So, what were we meant to be lookin' at???? :lol:

Social source share

yep there are lookalikes,(different) red colour with arrow but no stamp of course,

these are actually very good boots but the main (or simplest) giveaway is that the b side is just an instrumental of SIMC.

they're not particularly new though trev - i bought mine when i was about 16, and didn't know any better - so that's 22 years ago

Social source share

Records that have been kept in storage for the last 40 years rather than having been used and abused in the UK (by being played with too heavy tone arm weight, with a nail for a stylus, and being pulled in and out of sand filled rough cardboard sleeves!) tend to be in nice shape.

So thats exclusive to the UK Christian eh?, are we the only country in the world that does this kind of thing?, bit over the top statement that one mate was it not.

Social source share

So thats exclusive to the UK Christian eh?, are we the only country in the world that does this kind of thing?, bit over the top statement that one mate was it not.

until the advent of internet & the inevitable 'internationalisation' of this compelling, if not quirky 'scene', most of the previously mentioned 'abuse' was committed almost exclusively in these fair & sceptred isles. of course today, with revisionist tendencies abound, the benefit of hindsight, DJ's that don't introduce records, strange hairdos & chin caressors etc; it's easy to launch excrement in the direction of the ceiling fan. whether one feels alluded to is another question entirely. I for one, in the early days, due to my rather clumsy disposition, treated records appallingly. nick G will vouch for that. as I grew older, I started to pay princelier sums for records, so I took to handling them with the due care & attention they deserved. in short, he that is not a sinner cast the first stone...

macca

Edited by macca
Social source share

think manship is a bit outdated on that one. I know the old boots didnt have the arrow, but i'm sure there are lookie likie ones now. However, If as Christian says, it's soulbowls Mr A that is selling, then it has to be cosher, and just a dodgy looking scan. :)

So, what were we meant to be lookin' at???? :(

I like reissue,bit like natural four,bongos and stuff,and isnt she pretty sounds stunning which is what i got it for..... :P ,oh1 no school bell at the start... :(

Social source share

What about the 200 45's flight case currency at £40.99!

What about it?,probberly got two hundred copys of footsie in it,the box aint brill i would say £25 top,so 200 footsies+£25 = £30,the card covers look new add another £5............ :)

Social source share

What about the 200 45's flight case currency at £40.99!

If you look closely you'll see that it's Kenny's play box.

Ridiculously overpriced! Unless it's empty in which case it's a fair deal.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Don't know what we are supposed to be looking at but anyone who lets the Pauline Shiver record away needs their head looked, pure class even at a tenner on his buy it now :thumbsup:
Thanks for the mention of Pauline Shriver, never heard of it before, went to the Soul Club, listened to it and won it on ebay earlier this evening. Fast work eh!

Tony

Social source share

Not really over the top, but very close to the truth IMO. In the US people didn't care and usually didn't play or handle the records it seems, therefore they are often in nice condition. In the UK people have been using, and often abusing, soul 45's for 40 years now. The UK is pretty much also the only place where soul 45's have been extrensively played, used, abused, bought, sold, bartered, etc. for many years and on a large scale, therefore it is only natural that the UK is the home of many a battered 45. The northern scene is probably also the only record collecting scene that has a separate and much more 'liberal' grading system I think. One thing that I, and many others, always wondered about is why so many keep their valuable records in nothing but rough cardboard sleeves? Sleeves that often get dust and dirt in them and the following abrasion when pulling the records in and out (or more like slamming and cramming the records down the sleeves in many cases) will scratch the records up good. Records have also frequently been used for djing, i.e. they have been played with 7 times the intended tone arm weight (it hurts so bad to see a coin on top of the cartridge) with rough and worn out styluses, not to mention the cueing that has destroyed countless records over the years creating a permanent hiss on the intro and elsewhere. These things are not exactly news to northern soul collectors.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!