Everywhere Busy

Guest gordon russell

Guest gordon russell

There was a thread recently concerning a certain nighter that was not doing very well.........loads of reasons were given why numbers were badly down i.e peoples age,work/kids and petrol prices were all cited.........however since the new year everywhere seems to be packed.....even this weekend just gone 3 nighters on all 3 very well attended. whats changed?

any ideas? peggy cockbob

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Always loads of excuses for bad turn outs to niters,truth is there are plenty of niter goers to go round as we saw sat nite.If an event is badly attended it is simply because it doesnt appeal ,and thats down to the promoter.Running succesful niters is,nt rocket science ,but the soul scene seems to have the knack of makeing it look very difficult.This can be for lots of reasons bad venue crap sound systems advertiseing[or lack of] pals djin,who arent realy djs etc etc,and location and access have an awful lot to do with it.Sat proved there are plenty peeps out there,but only for the well run venues just my opinion of course.This should be an interestin thread.

Edited by Soultown andy
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Personally I can't remember the last time I went to a poorly attended nighter (i'm thinking less than 50% in as poor attendance). I manage about one a month, Radcliffe before Christmas, Burnley and Gloucester we're all packed. Didn't do any of the big three on Saturday, so can't comment on those.

Social source share

Christmas now well and truly dusted but with the winter blues still in full pelt.

I think we are all getting out there and doing our thing. This time of year is always a socially well attended time....Summer not so much for obvious reasons.

On the Nighter subject ...I think that if more or indeed all nighters were to adapt a £10 - £12 entrance fee but £5 - £6 refund if you leave befor 2am...even lots more would attend.

Many of us have work next day/ family issues / need our sleep as we get older etc etc....

Not everyone can do or want to do the whole nighter & the thought of £10 - £12 in this present climate does i'm sure put lots of folk off....:thumbsup:

Edited by rennie
Social source share

Christmas now well and truly dusted but with the winter blues still in full pelt.

I think we are all getting out there and doing our thing. This time of year is always a socially well attended time....Summer not so much for obvious reasons.

On the Nighter subject ...I think that if more or indeed all nighters were to adapt a £10 - £12 entrance fee but £5 - £6 refund if you leave befor 2am...even lots more would attend.

Many of us have work next day/ family issues / need our sleep as we get older etc etc....

Not everyone can do or want to do the whole nighter & the thought of £10 - £12 in this present climate does i'm sure put lots of folk off....:thumbsup:

wink.gif £12 for a full nights entertainment is good value I reckon. What time you leave is up to you, but I wouldn't begrudge some hard working promoters, or the dj's (who spend far more on vinyl and travelling than they earn from their spots) a single penny. I had a residency which it cost me to travel to and never gained a penny from it but the promoter still dropped the door tax to less than a fiver. Who wants an empty niter venue from 2am 'cos of the tight-wads leaving early to save a few pennies? Concessions for those who have arrived from a soul nite "warm-up" is a different matter maybe as those folks are gonna hang around for a good few hours - or hopefully 'til the end.

:lol: - Kev

Social source share

There are plenty of soul nights out there for people who can't go all night :lol:

If I did go somewhere that offered a refund and I left before the cut off time I would not even consider asking for money back. Would you go to the cinema and ask for money back if half way through you found a film wasn't to your liking?

Social source share

Quality niters cost a fortune to run with,venue fee security sound systems advertiseing djs bar staff etc to pay for.Why should someone who pays for all nite pay more than those who want to leave early.The djs venue door and bar staff still want paying for all nite,thats why there called allniters.Anyone who thinks theres money to made running niters is sadly mistaken.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

There are plenty of soul nights out there for people who can't go all night :thumbsup:

If I did go somewhere that offered a refund and I left before the cut off time I would not even consider asking for money back. Would you go to the cinema and ask for money back if half way through you found a film wasn't to your liking?

Plenty of soul nights finshing 1- 2 am agreed....

But hey there's me just being constructive...offering a suggestion on improving soul nighters attendance figures.

Talking to people over the passed year or so who have knocked nighters on the head for just my previously mentioned reasons. Many have said they would still be attending and paying a lower entrance fee having commitments the following day etc.etc... BUT...that lower entrance fee is still good money...a revenue and an attendance they won't get with fixed pricing attitudes.

Nothing to do with the nighter not being too anyones liking ? Just a sound Constructive suggestion...

Social source share

if i leave a nighter early it s my choice not the promotors.do you think if you went to your local night club they'd offer a discount if you left before closing time ...NO.why should a group of folk who are unlikely to make a profit cut there throats to suit someone who for whatever reason chooses to leave early..as for nighter attendances being up or down think its probably got more to do with who's DJing or who your going with than how much it costs, most soul going people dont seem to care or worry about how far away it is or how much it cost so long as they think there gonna be satisfied with the quality of the music and the company with wich they spend there time

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I don't mind paying £10 or more to get into a nighter and do as I please and leave when I want. If I travel a fair distance to a nighter, leaving early is never an option (especially if i'm with Mr Mark Freeman, who has to be dragged off the floor at the end :thumbsup: ). The only thing that puts me off nighters is the amount of time it takes me to recover. I need to be on the ball Monday morning and it's taking me until Wednesday or Thursday to get my act together thesedays. :lol:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

drag me off tjhe floor,,,pllllsssss ...lol same again sat at derby rite to the end,,,,,most niters are brll ...im still knacked to day form last weekend but saltme again sat at parr hall and bolton niter,,,,,its just too birll....................

I agree mate, haven't been to a bad nighter for years. Have to work myself up to go, but once i'm on the way I never regret it... until i'm back at work. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Some all niters make cash/ profit ????? some don't....

The reason all these nights have been busy is because people knew Peggy Babcock would not be there :thumbsup:

Only joking Terry... rolleyes.gif

:yes: :yes: .........went to one of em this sat just gone...........come to terms with some nighters plain dreary music, until 4 when it gets worse lol..........just go for a chin wag and a laugh with some strange night time devils lol :yes: .........were you there?:lol: peg

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Not everyone can do or want to do the whole nighter & the thought of £10 - £12 in this present climate does i'm sure put lots of folk off....hatsoff2.gif

the thread was how busy these places have been since the thread about how not busy ect ect.....the entrance fee has no baring, go to a soul night if 2 is your limit.

My point really is all these reasons for not going seem to be in the main a loada boll*x..........be there or be square :thumbsup: peggy babcook

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!