Yate Memories

Guest daryl baldwin

Guest daryl baldwin

i'm researching about the yate scene for a university project. if you're from gloucester/shire and you attended, what are your memories about the place, the music, fave tunes, etc. what was the building like, what djs played there. anything you wanna share is good for me - bear your soul - you know you want to.

Social source share

Guest daryl baldwin

thanks kevin, i managed to glean some usefull bits of information there and a list of names that i can chase up.

nubes--hope you had a good time when you went there :D

Social source share

Guest mickeyb

It was time to move on - same as Wigan.

Rotherham had been going for a good while. Dave had started Stafford.

Great while it lasted (favourite niter for me - still), but by 82 the feeling had gone.

Social source share

Guest mickeyb

Yes Smithy. I remember that night well. We went to the Liilybrook first then round our mum's. You said you were fed up with being naughty so you were gonna get pissed instead and you had a huge chinese takeaway. You bought a bottle of Bacardi but forgot to get a mixer. All our mum had was orange squash, so you mixed it with that and got totally w*nkered. About 4 o clock , I thought where the fook is Steve, so went in the car park and you were asleep next to Mark's car with a pillow that looked like chicken chow mein. Thought he's Ok so back inside. When we came out at the end you said "I ain't coming here again, I fell asleep in the car park and some c*nt puked on me!" PMSL. Hope life is treating you well you Glos legend you :D

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I think there was more to it than Yate running its course.

If I remember rightly it changed its name from Stars and Stripes to

Spirals. They closed the place down for ages, probably a good nine

months, then when it reopened as Spirals?? it had a sunken dancefloor that

was about 1/10th the size of the old one. A bar at the back of the room

that extended about half way towards the front in a Cheers style walk

around way.

I'm pretty sure it was unfit for purpose really following all the

'improvements'.

Vince Ayers ran a few nights in the old Baths venue and a couple of

alldayers, but again the dance floor wasnt particularly big. Not big enough

for a niter anyway.

Social source share

Unlike Wigan(too serious)Yate was a bizzar place to be in,in fact men dressing as women was seen a normal thing to do,nobody batterd an eyelid.I remember when it was Dave Wises night i would laugh from start to finnish and in the morning i left the car park with my jaws aching.One thing that really sticks in my mind was when the dj over the mic said "would the owner of an Austin 1100 please go out to the car park as its on fire"and went straight into the next record as if nothing had happened,brill

Social source share

Unlike Wigan(too serious)Yate was a bizzar place to be in,in fact men dressing as women was seen a normal thing to do,nobody batterd an eyelid.I remember when it was Dave Wises night i would laugh from start to finnish and in the morning i left the car park with my jaws aching.One thing that really sticks in my mind was when the dj over the mic said "would the owner of an Austin 1100 please go out to the car park as its on fire"and went straight into the next record as if nothing had happened,brill

Happy days my old mate!!! So many stories - blokes in dresses, Chick marching with the Salvation Army band, football matches, too many to recall at once!!

Al

Social source share

sorry to hear that enjoyed many of his dos ,one that sticks in my mind was in a place on southsea front where we were into the northern well and truly then he plays hot chocolates no1 the only one they had i think was it so you win again and paid tribute to errol brown for finally getting a no1.

great memories

kev

Social source share

sorry to hear that enjoyed many of his dos ,one that sticks in my mind was in a place on southsea front where we were into the northern well and truly then he plays hot chocolates no1 the only one they had i think was it so you win again and paid tribute to errol brown for finally getting a no1.

great memories

kev

That sounds like John, 'The whole of soul' Harvey, bless him

Social source share

Guest mickeyb

Remember one night at the Baths - john was dj'ing and he was playing loads of obscure stuff (not northern) and nobody was dancing. So he put on a right stomper (We got togetherness maybe?) and the floor fills up. Then he takes it off and gives everyone a lecture - classic! Might have been the night when he fell asleep by the bar on the floor and Gabby, Leon, Dennis (etc etc - usual suspects) made a stack of chairs on top of him (think there was quite a bit of litter too). Funny as f**k when he woke up.:thumbsup:

Social source share

Found a few photo's in a recent sort out, I have loads more in the cellar but there are spiders down there so until John will bring the boxes up, these were the only Yate ones I could find.

I've got loads somewhere, Smithy, all the Newbury & Cannock lot, lots of the car park and broken down vehicles (Gethro's white Jag) for some reason.

I do recall dressing as a Nun and having wraps stashed in my wimple. Can you remember that amusing fanzine we used to have - Clarkeys crapographics ? Got a flyer he did for the soul party we put on at the Plough - attached.

The multiple scan photo, top right is at Yate.

post-856-0-63373700-1299255842_thumb.jpg

post-856-0-66062200-1299255885_thumb.jpg

post-856-0-07517300-1299255955_thumb.jpg

post-856-0-21834000-1299256040_thumb.jpg

post-856-0-91220400-1299257123_thumb.jpg

Edited by alison
Social source share

Strange thing happened to me the other Sunday. On our way back from a weekend in Bristol, at Junction 18 of the M4 heading for London my car swerved up the slip road and I found myself in Yate shopping centre,

Should this happen to any other old Yate goers the all nighter venue is now Riley's snooker hall. You can still climb the concrete steps to the old entrance.

Aah, wonderful days!

Social source share

Found a few photo's in a recent sort out, I have loads more in the cellar but there are spiders down there so until John will bring the boxes up, these were the only Yate ones I could find.

I've got loads somewhere, Smithy, all the Newbury & Cannock lot, lots of the car park and broken down vehicles (Gethro's white Jag) for some reason.

I do recall dressing as a Nun and having wraps stashed in my wimple. Can you remember that amusing fanzine we used to have - Clarkeys crapographics ? Got a flyer he did for the soul party we put on at the Plough - attached.

The multiple scan photo, top right is at Yate.

Looks like Hippo's still in the same shirt & jeans as the last time i saw him at glos soul fusion!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Guest mickeyb

Looking forward to Alison posting her photos.

Are Alison Humphreys and Dave Cooper still about? - fond memories of both of them :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Alison ,hopefully no photos of me before i met John Phelps :D (I think Alison Humphries has got them Catacombs etc)

Not had an opportunity to brave the cellar or coax John to go down there yet. I have pictures of you somewhere Steve, probably in Mum's attic though. Not sure if there are many Yate ones; I recall some taken at a do we went to in Malvern Winter Gardens, and I have one of you spinning (yep, almost taking tables out) at my ( ph34r.gif15thph34r.gif) birthday party that I held at the Golden Valley with little Jane Wolfenden. Memory reboot; you were wearing a nice tank top laugh.gif

Got some lovely ones of you & Kim too (she was so glamorous !) I saw her about ten years ago - she came into my pub - still drop dead gorgeous thumbsup.gif

I have so many gaps in my memory but recall that your Nanny used to be Amy Turtle from Crossroads, and giving your sister shoeboxes full of makeup because my Uncle used to work for Estee Lauder.

Edited by alison
Social source share

My first allnighter, I often would ride over on my scooter after going out in Bristol to Racquels by the ice rink. Great mix of tunes played there, got me into so many different tunes of the time, always remember everybody shuffling to the likes of Cheryl Berdell etc and Dennis Lee winning the dance comp! great to see so many of the old crowd still going to soul nites up and down our wonderful land! Andy Hutchins, Steve Green, Chris Harvey and myself put on a all dayer at the Bath's Yate in the late 8t's (maybe early 9t's my minds going!)- remember some of the Dj's from the night i.e Dave Thorley, Gary Spencer, Edwin (Blackwood), ourselves etc- sorry too long ago to remember everyone- happy times.

Social source share

went to Yate a few times

one particular time it was heavy snow-had to dig the bus out in the morning

lights kept goin out in venue due to bad weather

lad called Bone-ey i remember

a real crazy lad

bought 3 thelma 45s from record bar

got picture somewhere

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Was a regular there for yonks.......used to go with chris and harry when harry's dad had the pub in Northampton about the time they expanded into recreational enhancements and luba....steve smith, melvin and roy. Always went with me mates gavin (R.I.P ) steve e, ect....also taffy,ghosty,benny.....was there for all the fights big sam flattening em left right and centre lol.....pete widd,, luckily see pete all over the place........thats what it,s about enjoying the crac and the music.................not who played what first...................saw dave cooper at prestatyn just this weekend fit and healthy with a glint in his eye lol atb terry tempo and the fooked off at 4 flatliners

Social source share

Guest mickeyb

Yeah Steve I remember. It was all the Glos lot as usual - Leon, Polly, Curtis and all the rest of them. Something like "Does anyone know the crack, we knows the crack, cos we are the crack". Perhaps Leon could confirm?

About a year later, the main saying was "Or what?!" As in "is The Four Professionals the bollocks or wot?"

Social source share

I have one of you spinning (yep, almost taking tables out) at my ( ph34r.gif15thph34r.gif) birthday party that I held at the Golden Valley with little Jane Wolfenden. Memory reboot; you were wearing a nice tank top laugh.gif

You know when the cogs suddenly slip into place...just remembered that birthday party of yours - even tell you what the latest pressing was at the time, Arctic Strings "Turnin' me on"...sad man...:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest madmarx

Took me three attempts to get to Yate from York.

First time:

5 of us in a mini traveller, Got pulled over by the police after a TV was stolen from a club and we were monitored driving suspiciously in Knutsford services. Got let go, had to circle back to retrieve some thing that one of the lads had.misplaced . . Then broke down in Worcester and spent all night in a car park, wide awake , police knocking on the window every half an hour while we listened to a Dansette with fading batteries play slower and slower until we could buy a spanner to mend the mini next morning ...

Second time:

Took the safe option went on a coach organised from Leeds. Not so safe, ended up with the coppers raiding the bus on the motorway and carting us all off to Wood St Police station in Wakefield. Once there a miltary style police sargent threw me all over the gents before making me stand in a corner without socks while he ran all the taps trying to get a sample out of me . He never got one , we ended up in Cleethorpes. at 4.00am

Third time :

After 6 lessons i had passed my test that week at age 17, "Its been a week" thinks i, "why not drive down there ?" Off i goes in my Mk2 . i was so green i thought the wheels were coming off when i heard the noise of going over cats eyes, well i had never neen on motorway ( or above 30mph ) before and couldnt stay in the lanes at first

When we got there it was hard to see what the fuss was about to be fair, very quiet , totally unmemorable never went back. It had good reviews before that hence my persistance.

Edited by madmarx
Social source share

Strange thing happened to me the other Sunday. On our way back from a weekend in Bristol, at Junction 18 of the M4 heading for London my car swerved up the slip road and I found myself in Yate shopping centre,

Should this happen to any other old Yate goers the all nighter venue is now Riley's snooker hall. You can still climb the concrete steps to the old entrance.

Aah, wonderful days!

OH yes, I remember those steps...here's the original way up...

post-1920-0-32087000-1301474460_thumb.jp

Social source share

Guest AlSeviour

Yeah funny, did the same myself today Dave - it took time to suss out the layout of carpark as part is built on but sure enough it's still there amid the much larger sprawl of the shopping centre - a real strange buzz going back there so many memories of intense nights of bliss and some times even terror haha - even spotted the place at back of carpark where I got busted at anniversary nighter. Spent over 4 years going there so was great to take a brief peek at the old place - happy days indeed! Anyone still in touch with Pip from Porth Cawl say Al from Poole says hello

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

My first allnighter, I often would ride over on my scooter after going out in Bristol to Racquels by the ice rink. Great mix of tunes played there, got me into so many different tunes of the time, always remember everybody shuffling to the likes of Cheryl Berdell etc and Dennis Lee winning the dance comp! great to see so many of the old crowd still going to soul nites up and down our wonderful land! Andy Hutchins, Steve Green, Chris Harvey and myself put on a all dayer at the Bath's Yate in the late 8t's (maybe early 9t's my minds going!)- remember some of the Dj's from the night i.e Dave Thorley, Gary Spencer, Edwin (Blackwood), ourselves etc- sorry too long ago to remember everyone- happy times.

Remember who won the dance competition Matt ?

Russ

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!