Little-stevie

• Replies 17
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

He cut it for ABC which was (I believe) unreleased at the time. It came out on the UK Probe compilation 'Soul Bible' - its a great cut of the track. I believe it also came out later (in the 70's) on Rroulette 139 b/w with Eddie Holman . Mike

We've had this topic on here before - the first single release of this earlier version of CICMM was on a Dunhill Goldies 45, circa 1972-3. The next release of it was, as Mike says, on Roulette Golden Goodies. After MCA bought ABC and its subsidiary labels (including Dunhill) they carried on pressing it on MCA itself.

All releases of this version are coupled with Eddie Holman's version of 'Hey There Lonely Girl' .

ABC rejected this version of CICMM as a follow up to 'What if A Man'/'Bet You I Win' as they thought the song lacked commercial potential. How they must have chuckled over that one as the Dakar version became one of the biggest hit records of the year....

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

So I would guess the original release must of been the Soul Bible comp in the UK ?

That came out in 1972, Mike, and so did the Dunhill release. It's hard to date those Goldies 45 issues with any accuracy as they used to release them in batches and not necessarrily in catalogue number order. I would imagine that the Dunhill Goldies 45 still preceded the Probe album, but they're both 'original releases' in their own way I suppose!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Cheers for info will pass it on..

Seems to be some debate on this....

I have had it on the oldies lable and thought that was a boot all these years.. Is the oldies lable copies more rare???

Do you mean the Goldies 45 label Steve? I don't know as I've ever seen a pressing on a label called Oldies.

If you do mean the former, the hardest pressing to find is the first Dunhill Goldies 45 issue - there's a second press that just has 'Goldies 45' on the label, that also seems to be hard to find.

The Roulette and MCA issues are both legit and both turn up more often than the other two. Although none of them are particularly rare, it must be said.

Social source share

Do you mean the Goldies 45 label Steve? I don't know as I've ever seen a pressing on a label called Oldies.

If you do mean the former, the hardest pressing to find is the first Dunhill Goldies 45 issue - there's a second press that just has 'Goldies 45' on the label, that also seems to be hard to find.

The Roulette and MCA issues are both legit and both turn up more often than the other two. Although none of them are particularly rare, it must be said.

Yes Tony... Goldies... :lol:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Yes Tony... Goldies... :lol:

OT I know,, but the only 45rpm release of the fantastic, originally unissued Joe Hinton Back Beat track 'Don't Tell Her the Truth' is on Goldies 45, too. As is what I think was the first legit 45rpm release of Deon Jackson's version of 'I Still Remember The Feeling'...

Social source share

This has been discussed before, but I don't think anyone picked up on the fact that there are TWO earlier versions.

I have the Dunhill Golden Oldies and the Roulette issues - and the Roulette version has female backing singers in the chorus. Which I sometimes prefer. And sometimes don't...

Embarassing that the only info I can I share on here is comparing two $5 re-issue 45s back-to-back... thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Here's a rare version that arrived Chez Rounce a couple of days ago!:

...despite the addtion of the word 'reggae' to the title, it's actually a got a calypso beat.

Great singing throughout from Phillip James, though!

Can't do refosoul, otherwise you would be listening to it as well as looking at it...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!