Vinyl Carvers

I've had a few done by vinyl carvers and none of them sound dull.....guess you have to wonder what the master is like?

played loud in a venue and they sound dull compared to an actual 45 but the Timmion ones don't. Plus vinyl carvers only use a compressed mp3 for the master, Timmion use uncompressed wav. I'll never use vinyl carvers or anyone similar again.

Social source share

played loud in a venue and they sound dull compared to an actual 45 but the Timmion ones don't. Plus vinyl carvers only use a compressed mp3 for the master, Timmion use uncompressed wav. I'll never use vinyl carvers or anyone similar again.

Hi

When I asked for info regarding a source to get a carver done other than Vinyl Carvers it was for no other reason than they have now got a minimum spend of £45 which means you can no longer have just one carver done !

That's all it was so please don't let this get into a converstion about them !

Regards and thanks - Ray

Social source share

Hi

I've been on the website and can't seem to find were to order and send the file I want cutting !

Any help would be appreciated !

Regards - Ray

Social source share

Hi

When I asked for info regarding a source to get a carver done other than Vinyl Carvers it was for no other reason than they have now got a minimum spend of £45 which means you can no longer have just one carver done !

Regards and thanks - Ray

What's the problem? None of the replies are malicious. It's just good information that's worth sharing. Nowt wrong with that.

:thumbsup: - Kev.

Social source share

Hi

Regards and thanks - Ray

I was giving an opinion on the quality between the two, you might not be bothered but others might be.

Timmion are 28.5 euros for two sides, delivered in around 3 days.

Social source share

I get stacks of them done by vintl carvers, all reggae - never noticed any difference between the finished product and the file I send them, which come off cd usually anyway.

Social source share

Seb is right, I use nobody else now but Timmion. Vinyl Carvers the sound is dull. Timmion are proper metal acetates with a nice crisp sound. You send the file via yousendit so you can send an uncompressed wav file for even better quality.

Ill start the war

Why do you need a carver / Bootleg (unless you own the rights or wrote it yourself)?

See if I can answer 2 posts at once here.

Have used vinyl carvers a couple of times & been well impressed with the results but went for the larger option & had things carved onto 12" as they were longer tracks. Perhaps if a few more venues had CD players I could play them on the original format. Will you 7" only boys ever learn :thumbsup: .

They were also unreleased remixes made by friends so copyright ain't an option either.

Have also had a studio acetate carved as it's getting cue burn on the intro every time I play it so am prolonging the life of the original copy.

Social source share

See if I can answer 2 posts at once here.

Perhaps if a few more venues had CD players I could play them on the original format. Will you 7" only boys ever learn no.gif .

Have also had a studio acetate carved as it's getting cue burn on the intro every time I play it so am prolonging the life of the original copy.

Why not simply burn the acetate onto a CD and play that out? :thumbsup:

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Why not simply burn the acetate onto a CD and play that out? :thumbsup:

Regards,

Dave

Suits me Dave but most (non Modern) venues don't have such modern fangled things like CD players & even if they did most of the punters would be demanding I was tarred & feathered for even going within 800 yards of a Soul night with a little silver disc :thumbup::Dbiggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

surely if your gonna do that you'd be as well plugging something in and using the pure digital file , cd's are too unpredictable for me

Social source share

Ill start the war

Why do you need a carver / Bootleg (unless you own the rights or wrote it yourself)?

the carvers I've had done have either been Lp or CD only. I also made personal trips to VC so had them recorded with higher mid and treble range gains on the cut.

Social source share

But the difference is Cunnie your playing a fake copy (Fact) no better than playing a recent bootleg.

Credibility of playing rare soul down the pan IMO

Rare Soul?????

Never have been into music for it's rarity & think it's incredibly sad that folks only like a record for it's rarity.

Yes a lot of the things I like are rare but also a hell of a lot more are quite common.

Also the tracks I had carved were Funky House remixes :thumbsup:

• Up vote 2
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

If they are Lp you play them off that

If cd you do the same - You are breaching copyright by carving them and playing them out unless for personal requirement which means not exposing to paying crowds.

No he isn't, its covered by the licence that the venue holds to play music, only if he sells the recorded work is he in breach of copyright. Assuming, that the tune was recorded before 1941, as copyright on recorded work is valid only for 70 years.

• Public performance
  • Clubs and venues will generally be licensed for public performance, the administration of this is carried out by various organisations throughout the world
  • In the UK this is dealt with by the PRS for Music.

Edited by local
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

But the difference is Cunnie your playing a fake copy (Fact) no better than playing a recent bootleg.

Credibility of playing rare soul down the pan IMO

Who gives a f*cking f*ck ??? :thumbsup:

The original poster is asking a simple question.

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Thats a good  point Pete - Who gives a f**k

so are you saying Pete its just a free for all- anyone can do whatever they want -? 

Just because you cant get something on a certain format you get it whatever way you can and expect your integrity as a DJ is still totally intact?

In other words lets just forget any form of Vinyl and as Davie say directly plug it in!

The question is - why do they need to carve?

Their are house tunes I would dearly love but cannot get because of the rarity ( eg Kenny dixon Jnr - white  ep) - but hey Ho dont worry about that Steve get an MP3 and we'll carve it for you and you can play it out! The crowd really enjoy it and Im the best DJ since sliced bread! If thats the case we might as well all give up now and leave a laptop with a set in the room for the masses to enjoy! :thumbsup::lol::lol:smile.gif

Sorted!

Social source share

If they are Lp you play them off that

If cd you do the same - You are breaching copyright by carving them and playing them out unless for personal requirement which means not exposing to paying crowds.

On the few occassions I Dj i don't like carrying around LPs and most venues don't have CD players.... Also as LP tracks are less dynamic than singles i had the them tweaked to avoid the issue Chalky referred to.

Social source share

Ask my why I do it.

THIS ONLY APPLIES TO REGGAE RECORDS which I play at home for my own amusement

Because

1) I'll never find a copy of the original record but I'd still like to be able to play it at home

2) Even if I found a copy of the original, I couldn't afford to buy it

3) Sometimes when I can't afford to keep a record any longer I have to sell it, so I get a copy done to replace the original

Social source share

Guest Lobster Madras

the carvers I've had done have either been Lp or CD only. I also made personal trips to VC so had them recorded with higher mid and treble range gains on the cut.

There in lies the solution.. When I used to cut acetates/masters you always attended the 'Cut" to listen and ask to boost bass, mid or top if necessary.. Same with carvers as a lot of engineer's ears get tired etc etc, even with places like a Porky's, if you are there and listen to the re- eq you can ask for more bass, or cut volume, whatever..

A lot of old acetate masters go dull and some recordings are quiet so need equalising, always better to be there; an unwritten rule with recorded sound.

The only carver I had done of an unreleased tune from an old acetate came black very flat and dull..

Timmion's sound like the place for me !

Edited by Lobster Madras
Social source share

pete, love a prince buster "a dance called reggay" & gaylets "silen river runs deep " on a carver ?

Andy.

Actually, you'd probably be able to pick up a reissue of Silent River for less than the cost of a carver. I had an Island one for sale until about 2 weeks ago, £30

Social source share

• 7 years later...
54 minutes ago, Karl s said:

Hey guys karl here had plates cut at jts in past whats a carver exactly 

To make a ‘record’ you need a length of substance, stable at room temp, to have a groove that will be made (V)  to make a needle / stylus wobble from side to side horizontality in such a fashion to generate the music.  For practical, space reasons, it is laid out in a cylindrical format such as a wax cylinder or  snail-shell platter format e.g. 45 / LP, shellac , vinyl

JTS’s acetates and such, are a metal platter covered with cellulose acetate.

Carvers are a platter of polyvinyl chloride type plastic.

A groove is cut into them by a ‘lathe’ which the needle/stylus can follow  and then can pick up the sound from.

Social source share

On 02/03/2011 at 09:57, Ernie Andrews said:

Thats a good  point Pete - Who gives a f**k

so are you saying Pete its just a free for all- anyone can do whatever they want -? 

Just because you cant get something on a certain format you get it whatever way you can and expect your integrity as a DJ is still totally intact?

In other words lets just forget any form of Vinyl and as Davie say directly plug it in!

Their are house tunes I would dearly love but cannot get because of the rarity ( eg Kenny dixon Jnr - white  ep) - but hey Ho dont worry about that Steve get an MP3 and we'll carve it for you and you can play it out! The crowd really enjoy it and Im the best DJ since sliced bread! If thats the case we might as well all give up now and leave a laptop with a set in the room for the masses to enjoy! :thumbsup::lol::lol:smile.gif

Sorted!

Don't think there's any professional house djs working off vinyl anymore, upless you count tractor and the like. OK I know spinna will play a breaks set off 45"s but it's not the only format he uses. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!