This Record Definitely Doesn't Exist, (Or Does It) ?

45cellar

• Replies 135
  • Views 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Marv Johnson 'Why Do You Want to Let Me Go/I'm Not A Plaything' (TMG 525) is the only TMG 500 series Tamla Motown 45 that doesn't exist as a demo...

Social source share

Out of interest, how is the distinction being made here between 45s that 'don't exist' and recordings that were never released?

Mainly those records that were rumoured to exist or should be there, but for various reasons never made it to Vinyl.

Could be that Stock Copies exist as is the case with Eddie Foster - "I NEVER KNEW", but DEMOs were never made.

or

Chubby Checker - You Just Don't Know - Parkway only got as far as a DEMO (West Coast) & Test Press (East Coast)

Social source share

Guest martyn

Anderson Brothers and Connie Laverne - GSF issues

I thought both were released but as yet havent turned up ?

Social source share

Guest martyn

That must be really rare then - thought it was promo only

Surely not a multi coloured GSF label copy

I was lead to belive that both existed as new releases going by GSFs own catalogue . I may be wrong , but I think there was a thread about The Anderson Brothers existing (or having existed at one time )on here some years back ......perhaps someone with the full details could help out ?

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

I had humpry stomp on either green or yellow I can't remember I sold this to John Manship about 22-25 years ago and found this at the Holiday inn record fair in I think Tolado.Would have thought this was an issue . Simon.

Social source share

Tamiko Jones - Golden World yellow issue does exist .. my first sight was a Soul Bowl list and I have held a copy

Anderson Bros - GSF stock copy ... yes definately ... Pete Halas, from Spalding, had one in the 70's and I've seen 2 since .. didn't Johnny M auction one ??

Honey Bees & Just Bros on Wand - never pressed according to Don Mancha. He told me deal was done but delivering the tapes was delayed cos of the race riots and when he got them there they eventually changed their minds ... I've never done the research to determine in the time lines all match up

Andy

Social source share

Tamiko Jones - Golden World yellow issue does exist .. my first sight was a Soul Bowl list and I have held a copy

Andy

Actually the Tamiko Jones was purely a rumour at one time as no one had ever actually seen one, either demo or issue. I think Martin Koppel probably found it first but no others had managed to find their way to the UK at that point. When Anderson brought those first white demos back there was a general feeling of, "Wow, it really DOES exist".

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

Humphrey Stomp apparantly does exist on Wand although I don't have it. Dave Rivers swears blind he offered it for sale to me and I declined. I must have been very very drunk or something :thumbsup:

And I can picture this in my head very clearly on Wand, which makes me think that I've seen one along the line........

....or maybe I was pissed too! :thumbsup:

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Ive asked this before does Sam Williams issue exist or Al Williams Palmer issue ?......I've never seen either

Social source share

Humphrey Stomp apparantly does exist on Wand although I don't have it. Dave Rivers swears blind he offered it for sale to me and I declined. I must have been very very drunk or something :thumbsup:

There was one on Ebay last year or the year before, was a bit rough looking from memory.

Social source share

Actually the Tamiko Jones was purely a rumour at one time as no one had ever actually seen one, either demo or issue. I think Martin Koppel probably found it first but no others had managed to find their way to the UK at that point. When Anderson brought those first white demos back there was a general feeling of, "Wow, it really DOES exist".

I think Rod Shard may have this on issue?, or maybe Little Carl Carlton which is also another tough 'un

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Was this ever properly released on Dial?

post-4944-0-56663000-1299255416_thumb.jppost-4944-0-08072200-1299255418_thumb.jp

As far as I'm aware it wasn't. There's another great cut by Johnny Dynamite on Minaret 141

See link for Len Wade on one of Red Kelly's excellent pages, interesting read but look just below the "Soul Resurrection" cover re "Everbody's Clown".

https://redkelly.blogspot.com/2010/08/tikis-vocal-by-len-wade-i-was-doin.html

Great record :thumbsup:

Social source share

There was a nice Wand copy on ebay about a year ago, I kept looking at it then thought nah, not worth bothering with, not realising I'd never seen it before; it went for a low price, maybe $30. Might not be on popsike but I can guarantee 100% it was there.

Social source share

This is the green issue. I bought it of Mr Waddington who says he used to have the wand issue many years ago. I'm still looking for one. Great record by the way. The yellow was probably a Garrison stock copy.

post-13983-0-89957500-1299323985_thumb.j

Best

Kev

Edited by Kev Moore
Social source share

Slightly off topic but are these rare issues?

I once had a stock copy of Thelma Houston 'Baby Mine' that I found in a library outside San Franscisco. I swapped it for a uk issue of Garnet Mimms 'Looking for you' Only Capitol stocker I've ever seen. Anybody got one?

Also had a pink copy of Tee Fletcher 'Happy Loving You' Shurfine. Not seen another since.

Best

Kev

Edited by Kev Moore
Social source share

This is the green issue. I bought it of Mr Waddington who says he used to have the wand issue many years ago. I'm still looking for one. Great record by the way. The yellow was probably a Garrison stock copy.

post-13983-0-89957500-1299323985_thumb.j

Best

Kev

I've had two of those in the last 18 months and nobody, but nobody was interested, despite it being extremely rare; maybe it's just a record that's gone out of fashion. I think the swecond one came from the same source as yours!

Social source share

SOLID SOLUTION - THINK ABOUT IT GIRL, DOES THIS REALLY EXIST ON A 45?

BRI PINCH

Ian Clark sold one to Japan a year or two back. There was a thread on it somewhere - probably a limited run press by Ernest kelly.

Re Humphrey Stomp, just to protect the innocent it was Dave Withers who said he tried to sell it to me not Dave Rivers..... :thumbsup:

Social source share

:thumbsup: Pete Wid told me over a beer last year that he made that story up!

This is another one of those situations where you can visualise the label perfectly (blue Pama by the way). This is another one which I'm convinced I've actually seen, like "Humphrey Stomp" on Wand. Except, in the case of the Volumes, I'm recalling this from the 70's. I'm usually pretty good at recalling things but maybe this one is going too far.......:thumbsup:

Entirely feasible though. Pete chose a good one.

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

All of the Johnny Dunn 45 on Veep I have seen have been demos - both full face and the small Veep symbol design.The originals are styrene and have a Bellsound stamp to differentiate them from the pressing if memory serves me right. Mind you, I havent seen an issue of Johnny Dunn.

While we are on Veep, come to think of it, I haven't seen an issue of either the Star-Treks or a Timothy Wilson "Hey Girl do you love me". Anyone - do they exist ?

The Don Varner "Tear Stained Face" remains the greatest mystery on the label - surely this would have surfaced by now if it did exist. I've heard the rumours of the box which went to Holland in the early 70's, for the deep side, but cant believe that nothing has surfaced. You've got to put it down as believe it only when you see it !

Take care

John

george blackwell - demo? Joe Hicks demo? johnny dunn demo? (veep) not the repress

Edited by Johnny Mack
Social source share

This is another one of those situations where you can visualise the label perfectly (blue Pama by the way). This is another one which I'm convinced I've actually seen, like "Humphrey Stomp" on Wand. Except, in the case of the Volumes, I'm recalling this from the 70's. I'm usually pretty good at recalling things but maybe this one is going too far.......:thumbup:

Entirely feasible though. Pete chose a good one.

Ian D :thumbup:

The reason this story still has some credibility is because of The Volumes 45's appearance in "The New Singles", a fold out brochure that came out every week listing all of that weeks new releases, I used to have hundreds of these when working for Music Master and it definitely appears in that publication, but the information would have been provided weeks before publication and of course record companies change their minds. If it exists, there's a possibility it might have appeared on a "pre", a white label advance press, however I don't think Pama produced these for their soul releases.

Social source share

:thumbsup: HI ALL I HAVE SAID IT MANY TIMES BEFORE THE VOLUMES DOES EXIST, I HAVE SEEN IT, IT WAS IN STEVENS RECORD SHOP LETCHWORTH, THIS IS WERE I GOT MY ACTION 45s AND MY REGGAE IN 68 - 72 AS A ISSUE KEITH MINSHALL SWEARERS BLIND HE HAD ONE IN STOCK WHEN IT DOES TURN UP? THE FULL STORY CAN THEN BE TOLD ON WHY THE BROTHERS DISPOSED OFF MANY COPIES, A SIMILAR OUTCOME ON HOW FEW RAY MERREL'S THERE IS, AND WHY THE SHELVES WERE BARE AT THE PRESIDENT WHERE HOUSE? THE PRE RELEASE WOULD BE THE US COPY WITH STICKER AND INFO AS I HAVE A FEW SOUL RELEASES ON PAMA THE ONLY DEMOS AND PRE RELEASE I HAVE ARE RECORDS BY THE CROWNS AND SKELETON A RECORDS SOMETIME IN GOLD AND RED. I MAYBE WRONG. BUT I AIN'T WRONG IT EXISTS ALL THE EVIDENCE IS THERE, BUT WERE THEY ARE AND WHY WE AIN'T SEEN ONE FOR MANY YEARS IS DOWN TO THE PALMAS OK!ph34r.gif DAVE Edited by dthedrug
Social source share

Ive asked this before does Sam Williams issue exist or Al Williams Palmer issue ?......I've never seen either

post-9749-0-04908400-1299666297_thumb.jp Spoke about the Sam Williams issue a few times myself over the years as with JD MARTIN, which up until the one for sale on here recently i`d never seen, But my old mate Ron pedley told me the JD MARTIN did exist and he was right, he also told me the SAM WILLIAMS exists

so i`ll take his word for it. Never seen one myself though :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!