A Celebration Of Soul 03/09/11 - Ted Massey, John Weston & More

No outside area at venue, apart from smoking area, unless you want to sit in the car park lol. You may be better parking at the Venue then and walking round to the pub as there is no parking near by before 5pm.

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie

About ten min walk.

post-2137-0-65263200-1314880929_thumb.jp

QoFxx

Hi Chrissie,

Thanks for that. I've just had a text from Steve and he's offered me a lift which is most kind of him. I'll be going on to Preston with him. Totally flummoxed what to play in my set. I promise not to play any Modern (disco, lol) but might include some Crossover.

Hi Chrissie,

Thanks for that. I've just had a text from Steve and he's offered me a lift which is most kind of him. I'll be going on to Preston with him. Totally flummoxed what to play in my set. I promise not to play any Modern (disco, lol) but might include some Crossover.

Just play whatever you like and enjoy :thumbup:

QoFxx

The sun is shining and the weather is looking good for tomorrow and I am getting into party mode, so to all of you who are travelling up/down/across to Bedford tomorrow all I can say is.................

Ohhhhhhhhhh I wish this was on vinyl, but I do know it will be very soon coz the lady herself told me :shhh:

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie

I'm looking forward to Saturday evening. Sorted a few tunes out last night...

Barbara & The Browns - You Don't Love Me

The Gillettes -Same Identical Thing

A killer version of Robert Parker's Barefootin' which I'm keeping under cover 'til I find another.

Sunday's Child - What Are You Thinkin'

Jackie Paine - No Puppy Love

Loretta Wiliams - Baby Cakes

....and a few more uptempo goodies.....

Good Martin, we'll be gone by then, but enjoy!

Right just to be clear from me no obscure chin stroker ploddin' dross...no booties either......BUT stuff like Ree Flores, Damon Fox etc. Get stuck in early!

quite right Steve and i will play Mel Britt :lol:

Edited by Ted Massey
  • Helpful 1

Good Martin, we'll be gone by then, but enjoy!

Right just to be clear from me no obscure chin stroker ploddin' dross...no booties either......BUT stuff like Ree Flores, Damon Fox etc. Get stuck in early!

quite right Steve and i will play Mel Britt :lol:

Well, checked my play box and deffo no mid tempo dross, well may be a couple :wicked: . Deffo no obscure chin stroking stuff out coz got non, can't afford it :D

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie

Just to let you know, the entrance to Esquires is not off Bromham Rd as the address suggests. You need to turn into Greyfriars at the traffic lights on Bromham Rd. On the left you will see a parade of shops. The entrance to Esquires is set back to the left of the taxi office.

See ya all later

QoFxx

The numbers could of been better but there was quite a lot on in the area lst night, but if it wasn't about quanity it certainly was about quality. Thanks to everyone who came and I can say we have raised in the region of £400 but will confirm total later today. Thanks to all the DJs who gave their time for free and I can honestly say not a "chin stroking mid tempo peice of dross" was played last night. :thumbup: and with a line up like this one it ws never in doubt that it was going to be a night of pure quality soul.

My feet hurt, my head hurts daren't even open my play box to do my play list but I am sure the DJs will get round to it later today when they all get home.

Thanks again.

QoFxx

Really enjoyed myself. Sublime two hours from Weston and Massey double decking. Ted let me down though, John played 'Lady In Green', Ted played 'Count The Days', and I was expecting 'I Have A Girl' next, but it wasn't to be.

The rest weren't too shabby either :lol: Well done to all involved. It's great when you can have a night out and help raise £400 for charity

• Helpful 1

The numbers could of been better but there was quite a lot on in the area lst night, but if it wasn't about quanity it certainly was about quality. Thanks to everyone who came and I can say we have raised in the region of £400 but will confirm total later today. Thanks to all the DJs who gave their time for free and I can honestly say not a "chin stroking mid tempo peice of dross" was played last night. :thumbup: and with a line up like this one it ws never in doubt that it was going to be a night of pure quality soul.

My feet hurt, my head hurts daren't even open my play box to do my play list but I am sure the DJs will get round to it later today when they all get home.

Thanks again.

QoFxx

Hey Chrissie , don't forget the hard work and effort you put in . Without you it would'nt have happened , top lady .

xxx

Tony

• Helpful 1

I dont know were to be- gin. this is my lookbacks, and this is a full blown honest and forth-rite no shit and no glossing be-tween the lines ..........

we got there from the start , walked in, and thought wot a great venue, perfect .rite size dance floor , dark and with the atmospheric sorta stained glass angels on the wall, cheap bar,great sound system, everything you need for a great soul night! and the rest is history, the standard of music was what I call absolutely stonking. from the kings go forth ..to good old fashioned northern oldies and newies R&B, bit o modern...indeed there was something for EVERYONE. It was uptempo.. down tempo.. and in ya ladies chamber ..I think the music last night would put many soul nites right out the socket..

Numbers ..disgusting...why? ffs WHY? The line up last night me including .so what! was fooking fabulous ,A line up as a promoter , I would not have had a problem with booking any of the DJ,s that night, Even without Tedstar.As hes one of the country's top DJ,s..for those people who did make the effort, and believe me, quite a few did, some came from Essex , Cat and Richie, from rugby, and a few more, and you can ask them , has a marvellous experience,dont know what the final head count was, but by the time Ted and John double decked it was not half bad. all it needed was about 20 more heads through the door, twenty more locals perhaps, 20 more travellers perhaps who could have made the effort to get off there imo.

Atmosphere ...absolutely electric,,,me and Bearsey had a plan with came to-gether as a laurel & hardy double deckers , we had a personal battle to out do each other and play some bloody stormers , we bounced off each other like a pair of big balloons, if ya missed it, then you missed a great hour of fun and frolics abound, I think some one videoed the whole thing, cant wait to see it.

sit back and watch Ted Massey and John Weston .omg.2 solid hours of what can only be described as the most prolific northern soul I have ever heard,as Dave says, Magnetics..lady in green, count the days, I was lost into the music that got me into this scene in the first place.You really did have to be there, wished you had come .well its to late now .

Last double deckers..Woody and Steve.it finished at 2pm, they had to throw us out,and they had everybody dancing to the very very end,to all the DJ,s that night,what a wonderful job you did, be proud and be proud of your records.

Thats my opinion.. please do tell me yours, I thoroughly enjoyed every moment, and every record, Im just sorry for the Jocks, and I'm sorry for Chrissie, but more than anything I'm sorry for all those people that missed a superb soul nite.

• Helpful 1

Spot on our Lou, we came late as had to spend some time with the new arrival at the Burtons house. The venue was fabulous and the company just brilliant. A night out with Kev and Denise you and the midland mad heads and our dear buddies Pete and Claire was always worth travelling too. John Weston was our star of the night for the shear joy of watching him DJ... the boy has passion. Loved the Brothers of Soul Track.

Really sorry that the place wasnt rammed for Chrissie and the charity as MND is a trully awful disease and such a worthwhile cause to support. I cant understand what s going on with the scene at present, such a shame but on a personal note I had a blast! Thanks Chrissie xxxx

• Helpful 2

Musically it was top notch and I had a blast and so did my sooper dooper son we didn't get to sleep till about 5am, poor sod had to ride his motorbike up to north wales in all that rain this morning :ohmy:

If I raise £400 every year it means a lot to this charity, I watched my late ex husband die from this awful disease and every penny counts and I thanks you all for all your ooooodles of ££££££ last night. I still have some more to collect so hoping to make the £500.

Just so everyone knows we will be back next year on the 1st of September and hopefully at the same venue.

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
  • Helpful 1

HAD'NT GOT TIME TO DO ANY CHINSTROKING,AS THE TUNES CAME THICK AND FAST,SHAMBOLIC TURNOUT REALLY FOR A SUCH A WORTHY CAUSE,WELL DONE TO CHRISSIE FOR GETTING THIS OF THE GROUND,GREAT SETS FROM ALL AND A BLOODY GOOD LAUGH AS WELL.STILL IF YOU LIKE DANCING AROUND YER HANDBAG THIS WAS NOT THE PLACE TO BE.

• Helpful 2

HAD'NT GOT TIME TO DO ANY CHINSTROKING,AS THE TUNES CAME THICK AND FAST,SHAMBOLIC TURNOUT REALLY FOR A SUCH A WORTHY CAUSE,WELL DONE TO CHRISSIE FOR GETTING THIS OF THE GROUND,GREAT SETS FROM ALL AND A BLOODY GOOD LAUGH AS WELL.STILL IF YOU LIKE DANCING AROUND YER HANDBAG THIS WAS NOT THE PLACE TO BE.

errrrrrrrrrrrr you were saying Dave :lol:

post-2137-0-90614100-1315157390_thumb.jp

QoFxx

• Helpful 1

Cheek. I can really understand folks having split loyalties and Toby has explained himself very eloquently and respect to him for it but this was for charity ffs lets hope the other folks never need it. if it had been direct competion ie soul night against soul night i could have may be understood the bile but it wasnt.

Edited by Ted Massey
  • Helpful 1

Cheek. I can really understand folks having split loyalties and Toby has explained himself very eloquently and respect to him for it but this but it was for charity ffs lets hope the other folks never need it

With you on that one Ted, this charity has personal significance for me, my uncle died after contracting this awful disease, and I for one can say it's not a nice way to go.

ATB Steve :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Guest BintofSoul

I had a fantastic night Chrissie. Well done you for organising a such top night. Loved the venue and all the DJ's played excellent sets. Such a shame that another event was put on the same night, even after you'd made everyone aware of your date. Never mind, £400 is a great amount and I'm sure it will be well received.

Nicki XXXX

I posted yesterday on Chrissie's thread on All About The Soul. I just want to say that I enjoyed it very much, although I was only there for about 2 hours. The venue was good imo, nice dance floor and a good sound system, and idiot proof decks, if I can use them that proves it, lol. I haven't played vinyl out for over a year, I was a bit nervous, especially with the calibre of DJs there, but I enjoyed myself very much. My only complaint is that I wish I'd bought more records with me, only expected to do 30 minutes but as we started early did 45 minutes instead. It was nice to see some friends there. Thanks Chrissie for inviting me. The venue is worth thinking about for a soul night if anyone in the area is interested.

I posted yesterday on Chrissie's thread on All About The Soul. I just want to say that I enjoyed it very much, although I was only there for about 2 hours. The venue was good imo, nice dance floor and a good sound system, and idiot proof decks, if I can use them that proves it, lol. I haven't played vinyl out for over a year, I was a bit nervous, especially with the calibre of DJs there, but I enjoyed myself very much. My only complaint is that I wish I'd bought more records with me, only expected to do 30 minutes but as we started early did 45 minutes instead. It was nice to see some friends there. Thanks Chrissie for inviting me. The venue is worth thinking about for a soul night if anyone in the area is interested.

Glad you enjoyed it. The venue is used by Geoff Ware and Hammie for about 4 dates a year and the next one is on 24th Sept. Bit more of a classic night but always a good night out.

There also may be something on the cards working with the regular club soul nights they have there, bit more modern stuff and not all vinyl but things may change :wicked:

QoFxx

Can I just add that if you need anywhere to stay in Bedford, I can recommend Bedford park house :thumbup:

its really lovely and clean and that ST Bernard called Truffles was the size of a small donkey :ohmy:

now then..MIND how you go

I have heard Martin called many things before but never a St Bernard and certainly not truffles :D

QoFxx

Guest BintofSoul

I really enjoyed your set Geoff. You played the lovely Roddie Joy - Come Back baby!

XXX

bit late but had problems with our laptop but better late than never as they say :yes:

got there from the off and heard nothing but quality tuneage all day long, the music was top class from start to finish in a cracking venue with a cracking sound system that had myself and Lou having a right laugh for our hour DD set together and got to say this to you Lou cos you deserve it and thats the fact your so passionate not just about the music but about everything that is right about this scene we all love and it was yet again an absolute pleasure to share the decks with you again and hopefully we can do it again sometime someday in the future :hatsoff2:

Chrissie well done for a brilliant dayer that was well organised but unfortunately not as well supported as IMHO it should of been, yes the dj line was top quality as the tunes proved that but sometimes does it matter if its a great line up like this one was who was just helping to raise money for such a worth while cause in an area im lead to beleive has a massive Soul catchment within an hours drive :( never mind but those that was there and not too bad a turnout later on was defo having a great time and the dance floor never emptying right up to the last tune, £400 raised for a great charity but could of been soo much more with numbers that could and should of done this event justice,

for us it was worth the travelling and effort to be there and an honour to of been asked to dj again and if you do it all again next year Chrissie we will be there no matter what :hatsoff2:

sometimes i sit down after some soul nights/nighters and reflect on them and sometimes i just dont get this scene sometimes and yes im trying hard to KTF as they say :rolleyes: but with friends like those i shared this event with keeps me thinking positive and as long as they are there so shall i be :shades:

once again thanks to all those there for a great day with great tunes and see you all next year to do it all again hopefully :hatsoff2:

bit late but had problems with our laptop but better late than never as they say :yes:

got there from the off and heard nothing but quality tuneage all day long, the music was top class from start to finish in a cracking venue with a cracking sound system that had myself and Lou having a right laugh for our hour DD set together and got to say this to you Lou cos you deserve it and thats the fact your so passionate not just about the music but about everything that is right about this scene we all love and it was yet again an absolute pleasure to share the decks with you again and hopefully we can do it again sometime someday in the future :hatsoff2:

Chrissie well done for a brilliant dayer that was well organised but unfortunately not as well supported as IMHO it should of been, yes the dj line was top quality as the tunes proved that but sometimes does it matter if its a great line up like this one was who was just helping to raise money for such a worth while cause in an area im lead to beleive has a massive Soul catchment within an hours drive :( never mind but those that was there and not too bad a turnout later on was defo having a great time and the dance floor never emptying right up to the last tune, £400 raised for a great charity but could of been soo much more with numbers that could and should of done this event justice,

for us it was worth the travelling and effort to be there and an honour to of been asked to dj again and if you do it all again next year Chrissie we will be there no matter what :hatsoff2:

sometimes i sit down after some soul nights/nighters and reflect on them and sometimes i just dont get this scene sometimes and yes im trying hard to KTF as they say :rolleyes: but with friends like those i shared this event with keeps me thinking positive and as long as they are there so shall i be :shades:

once again thanks to all those there for a great day with great tunes and see you all next year to do it all again hopefully :hatsoff2:

well bearsy ...you will have to find us a booking. but that soul inc...my proposal..how on earth could I follow that you bloody Barstow :ohmy: and I aint wearing a tosh again. I lost it in the end.it went everywhere I can tell you. :rofl: