2011-07-09: Hip City Soul Club 21St Anniversary

HIP CITY SOUL CLUB 21ST ANNIVERSARY

1990 - 2011

We are very happy to celebrate our Club´s 21st anniversary with what promises to be a hot and long weekend of the best Rare Soul tunes possible!

HIP CITY SOUL CLUB 21st Anniversary Weekend

July 8th + 9th

10 pm - 6 am

We start our celebration with what is more then just a warm up on the friday night feat. special guest DJ`s

VIP Hitman(Motte Allnighters Hamburg)

THE JAN (For Dancers Only, Hamburg)

Ralf Mehnert (Hamburg Soulweekender)

and

Matu (For Dancers Only)

NEW FREE ANNIVERSARY RECORD FEAT. FABULOUS AND UNRELEASED TRACKS FOR THE FIRST 100 IN ON SAT !

Saturday night:

DJ bUTCH! (Lifeline, 100Club and most of the classy venues across europe)

Kickstarted by Lars Bulnheim (Hamburg)

plus support on both nights by resident rascals Marc Forrest and Franz Heidl

HIP CITY SOUL CLUB

10 pm - 8 am

Oscar Wilde (Backroom)

Friedrichstr. 112, Berlin, U-Bahn Oranienburger Tor

Admission 6,- ea night

NOTE THE VENUE FOR FRIDAY NIGHT WILL BE PUBLISHED SEPERATELY AT A LATER DATE !

Edited by Marc Forrest
  • Replies 40
  • Views 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

If you are coming from abroad now is your good chance to book really cheap flights from all across Europe...our anniversary nights always are the very best RARE SOUL allnighters in Berlin...absolutely crowded, fantastic music, very HOT atmosphere...last year for example was the hottest day in Berlin weather history :thumbsup:

Hi Marc

Sounds good

Do you have any hotel recommendations near the venue please?

Thanks

Dave & Tara

Hi dave & tara,

sorry for having had you wait for areply..I just saw your question. There are loads of hotels near the venue as the venue is right in the heart of the city (good if you fancy a sight seeing and/or shopping tour as well) . this one https://www.arcotelhotels.com/de/velvet_hotel_berlin/?r=3772592&gclid=COfaxoHW_acCFYu-zAodQm0kqw is JUST around the corner from where the venue is and most of our lovely English friends who visited the Hip City in January stayed here. theres also a brand new nh hotel 3 min walk from the venue with a beautiful view on the river spree https://www.nh-hotels.de/nh/de/hotels/deutschland/berlin/nh-berlin-friedrichstrasse.html :rolleyes:

If you need any further help, I gladly help :unsure:

Guest DaveSwift

Thanks Marc

Found cheap flights from Gatwick. Having a look at these two hotels hope to get accomodation sorted soon.

Cheers

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am very happy to be able to announce that we were able to secure the Bohannon nightclub for the "warm up" night on friday July 8th! A fantastic Black Music only club in the heart of Berlin and very near to the Oscar Wilde our saturdays venue too :thumbsup: Some may remember the Bohannon from the Berlin gig of the Kings Go Forth this January when Mick H was re-named MC H...but that is..was..another story :yes: !

Cheers

Marc

https://www.bohannon.de

This is a place run by Soul people for Soul people!

Edited by Marc Forrest
  • 3 weeks later...

Alright people,

- the anniversary record test pressings will arrive at my place on wednesday coming week, so all looks good on that front :D

- all German guest DJ`s seem to know by now they are booked blink.gif:D

- bUTCH`s flight is ALMOST booked too ...

- both the venues for friday and saturday night are ready for take off

- plus guests from England, Sweden plus one other certain country north-east of Germany shhh.gif plus of course Soulies from all over Germany have booked already....

So just like JJ Jackson used to say "Let the show begin" !

..okay, still five weeks to go I know...just me getting so excited and giddy already..

thumbup.gif

Edited by Marc Forrest
  • 2 weeks later...

Another good news, after having had received the anniversary 45 test pressings last week, the edition of our new anniversary record feat. a fantastic and so far unreleased SOUL track is currently being done at the pressing plant. Judging by the great feedback we got for our annivesary weekender incl. facebook and other sources best bet to secure one anniversary record is to be there saturday night VERY early.

Personally I believe this is the very best anniversary record we ever did release so far...

It will be 100 copies, thats it. Not one single copy will be available (thru us) on the market after the anniversary.

C U

Marc

alright fellas, only two more days to go then its annivesary time! with articles in the major two berlin nightguides, an amazing response via facebook etc and souling travellers from almost everywhere in europe this indeed promises to becomw a hot, steamy and long anniversary weekend(-er). Top stuff...and me, I simply cant wait anymore LOL !

If I am not posting again on here before the anniversary is over, dont expect me to do so say after wednesday coming week LOL !

just a note to say thank you so much to everybody involved, especially all the fabulous guest DJ`s we had on friday and saturday night Lazy, Lars, Jan, Ralf, Matu, VIP HItman of course also special thanks to all the travelling soulies from the USA, Netherlands, Switzerland, Sweden (what a huge group this time!), England and of course all over Germany especially Hamburg, Leipzig, Dresden, Cologne, our Berlin scene who were there both nights in full swing and affect and everybody I missed mentioning now...for making our 21st annivesary the most sucessful we ever had!

the firday night already was awesome...the saturday wth over 216 Soulies in our little backroom was not only a new record, it was a unbelievable adventure and exerience...well, you had to be there really so I wont bore with stories of just how amazing (and indeed hot) it was..

Our limited anniversary record had already gone by 11.30 pm...

just one word has to be said....bUTCH! who had three spots ended the night not only with a three hour spot to a until around 6 am full dancefloor...what he did and gave us was a lecture in Rare Soul. From 4.30 to 7.30 am three hours full of unknowns, C/UP ´s and acetates. Tommy Knight and Sag Ware Fare were the most "common" tunes in this his final set...so you get a picture. It was the very best spot me and several others ever had heard. Be it by bUTCH himself or anyone else. It indeed was unbelievable and so perfect to end this weekend and our 21st anniversary.

Judging by the amount of unknowns he played he has enough "material" to "feed" the scene for the next ten years to come...dont think everybody really realizes what a "complete" dj he is and what a musical loss it would be if he would indeed stop deejaying. anyway, as I promised, just a short note from me..so thanks big time again everybody and see you again "at-the-go-go" in September when Maria Orlovic and Arthur Fenn will take care of our decks!

ATB

Marc

It was the very best spot me and several others ever had heard.

I was lucky enough to be one of the 'several others' and you're absolutely right Marc!

Thanks for making it possible! If someone believes the rare soul scene is at an end with new discoveries..... :D

Not yet halfway recovered from what was easily the best Hip City I've ever had. The blood, the sweat and the tears, we've had them all. Totally agree with with Lars (who happened to play a blinder of a set), anyone who thinks rare soul material is drying up should really get out more (I'd recommend the Hip City, but then again I'm positively biased yes.gif) - Butch's set was the best I've ever heard him play, now there's a standard.

Also from me big thanks to anybody who attended, gave a helping hand and/or just enjoyed the weekend with us!!! hatsoff2.gif

Super big thanks for the badges, fantastic idea, usually this is just some nice bit of Northern Soul folklore for me, but that one's something special, BIG THANKS!!! hatsoff2.gifhatsoff2.gifhatsoff2.gif

Not yet decided whether to sew it on or just keep it (Mint, collector soul I am) - Now where's me yarn & needle?!?

Edited by franz

Super big thanks for the badges, fantastic idea, usually this is just some nice bit of Northern Soul folklore for me, but that one's something special, BIG THANKS!!! hatsoff2.gifhatsoff2.gifhatsoff2.gif

Absolutely rioght my friend, top class present! Extra thanks big style to Lazy, Daniela, Jan , Julia and Andreas and Anne for coming up with this great idea and surprise...the 50 patches were also immediately sold out on the night!

Just spoke to the butcher and he will let me have a playlist soon...now that is sth wonderful and unexpected :hatsoff2: ...would be great to see the other DJ`s playlists as well please.

Marc

what can I say ... 2 hot nights, friendly soulies, brilliant music and 2 wonderful hosts and friends...thank you franz and marc hatsoff2.gif:hatsoff2::hatsoff2:jan

about the music on sat. night: it let me feel like a kid who's learning his 1st lesson of soul music :yes:

Thanks for a great wk end, up for it crowds on both niters, dont think i heard a bad choon all wk end, a refreshing change and full dancefloors all nite, say know more :huh:

Tim, glad you enjoyed your visit to the Hip City, so maybe we can welcome you back one day not too far away :) ?

Still waiting for some playlists...

...in the meantiime, here`s our anniversary 45 "un-covered" wink.gif

post-1700-0-25769700-1310667716_thumb.jp

Also did upload a heavy package of pictures from both nights on facebok so if you re already linked with me, click on albums please.

here are some of my spins....

van jones - I want to groove you - coway

soul brother six - oh I need you yes I do - lyndell

tsu toronadoes - a thousand wonders - ovide

jackey beavers show - we're not too young - jaber

classmates - tighten up - hit

johnny howard - the chase is on - bashie

billy wells - this heart these hands - sweet soul

stoppers - come back baby - jubilee

trey j's - I found it all in you - tee gem

edward hamilton - baby don't you weep - mary jane

falcons - love looks in her eyes - big wheel

tommy rogers - pass the word - ajp

pic & bill - talk about love - charay

larry williams - you ask for a good reason - okeh

roosevelt matthews - you got me diggin you - king

jeanie tracy - making new friends - brown door

new group - love can't be modernized - gemini

clay brown - walk with a groove - florentine

brother love - precious dove - brother love prod.

natural four - I thought you were mine - boola boola

walter davis - girl stop begging - la cade

barbara lynn - movin' on a groove - jet stream

matt brown - everyday - jarval

mighty lovers - ain't gonna run no more - soulhawk

joe bataan - young, gifted and brown - uptite

target - give me one more chance - kama

frankie alexander - no seat dancin' - deelegance

jan

Just back in from vacation, here's a portion of what I spun, just to revive the thread :wink: . Not sure about the others…

Four Tempos - This Is The Way I Feel - Rampart

Joe Cato - I'm So Glad - Chess

Mr Percolator - I Can't Get Enough (Of Your Love) - Wax-Wel

Sugar - Dynamite - Carousel

Andrew Jeffries - Not Like Just Any Girl - Queen

Brothers Of Love - You Changed Me - Blue Rock

Philharmonics - I Need, I Need Your Love - Soulin

Little Sherman & THe Mod Swingers - The Price Of Love - Sagport

Gene Middleton - You Can Get It Now - Soul Town

Hartfield Brothers - Sweet Somebody - Boola-Boola

Freddie Watson & The Restorators - Unlucky Seven - Eloys

Chymes - Wanting You Back - Margie

The New Perspective - Stone Outta My Head - Maxwell

Young Divines - Deep In Your Heart - Cotillion

Mike Jemison - I Want Some Satisfaction - Geneva

Optimistics - Man - Turbo

Eddie Parker - Body Chains - Prodigal

Emanuel Taylor - You Really Got A Hold OnMe - Bernard

Sammy Ridgley - Locked Up In Your Love - Cash In Today

John Washington - Daddy Teddybear - Sandwash

Sorry a little late but here is more or less what I played... the order is slightly mixed up as I can't remember what, when and why I played it... ;)

Anyway, they all fitted in nicely, the flow of tunes was fantastic and it was a pleasure to play to full & fanatically dancing up for it crowd!!! Top Top Top Weekend!!!!

Voltaire’s-Movin Movin On-Bacone

Lee Moses -Bad Girl

Bobby Dee -Sweet thing Part 1

Jade Siesta is Over RD

Three Smoking Guns - Revenge (c/up)

Lightning & Thunder - Beautiful Feeling (c/up)

The Rayons -Baby Be Good Forte

Inspirations -Tell Daddy PKC

Albert Esberido -Roar of the crowd

Roy Roberts -You Move Me

Leonard-Pierce-Lock Up-Givhan

Summits -Sophisticated Lady

Jimmy Raye -That’ll Get it

Floyd Barber-The Morning-Symbol

Gene Carter -Ring Around My Rosie-Jokoy

Gil Blanding-Rules-Ready

Shirley Lawson-One More Chance-Backbeat

Rocky-Gil It’s not the End-Teardrop