Guest TONY ROUNCE

• Replies 51
  • Views 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I've been trying to keep a record of all the 7 inch releases made by Kent (including the Horaces label & the 100 Club anniversary singles), I make that this limited edition ep will take the total to 99 releases. Would there be any plans to make the 100 th release something special, maybe Ben E King's - Gettin' To Me? :)

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

ah, good job theres four shops participating in Berlin! What time will be they be available in the shops...just on time for the record shop `s day in april or before already ?

The way Record Store Day works, they are not supposed to be available for sale until the actual RSD - and then I guess they'll be available until the stores sell out.

Might be worth checking with your nearest participating stores if they're going to stock it, Marc - as I understand it they're under no obligation to carry everything from every company. Your asking might prompt the shop to order it up if they weren't otherwsie planning to! That's kinda why I'm giving everyone a lengthy heads up on this, in fact...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Can they be pre ordered in the UK, and if so from where.

TIA

Mick W

You'll have to go on the Record Store Day website and see who's selling them in the UK, Mick. As I said to Marc, I'm not an expert on how RSD works, but if you call a shop in advance and ask them if you can pre-order a copy to be purchased on the day, it's possible that they might say yes,,,

But I'll reiterate that they can only be bought from record shops that are participating in Record Store Day and they will not be avaialble from any other sources on April 16th.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I've been trying to keep a record of all the 7 inch releases made by Kent (including the Horaces label & the 100 Club anniversary singles), I make that this limited edition ep will take the total to 99 releases. Would there be any plans to make the 100 th release something special, maybe Ben E King's - Gettin' To Me? :yes:

That's a question for Ady, really - my only concern at this time is making sure that as many people know about this particular EP as possible...

(BTW Horace's was not really part of the Ace/Kent family of labels, as Ady himself will tell you...)

Social source share

It is not possible for any shops to do pre-orders for RSD

eVERY SHOP HAS TO SIGN A CONTRACT SAYING THEY WILL NOT DO PRE-ORDERS,SELL AT INFLATED PRICES AND NOT SELL ON THE INTERNET TILL SOMETHING LIKE 10- 14 DAYS AFTER THE EVENT

OOPS sorry caps

Any shops breaking the rules will be banned from future RSD

It's all about getting people back into record shops :D

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

It's all about getting people back into record shops :thumbsup:

...a big AMEN to that!:D

But even if you can't pre-order, I guess that it still wouldn't harm your chances of getting a copy of any RSD releases if you were to pop into your nearest participating shop, and ask them if they were going to be stocking any specific titles that interested you...

...might put them on to ordering up something that they would otherwise have overlooked!

Social source share

...a big AMEN to that!:hatsoff2:

But even if you can't pre-order, I guess that it still wouldn't harm your chances of getting a copy of any RSD releases if you were to pop into your nearest participating shop, and ask them if they were going to be stocking any specific titles that interested you...

...might put them on to ordering up something that they would otherwise have overlooked!

Absolutley spot on Tony, especially if say a shop is more known for say Rock they might over look soul releases but if you ask them to try and get it they would be only too happy to try.

Blatent plug here but all 4 Head shops in Bristol, Bromley,Belfast and L Spa will be stocking as much as we can get covering all genres

Go on peeps make an effort for this day and support your local shop where or whoever it is.

What would we have done without them when we were younger??

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Kick for Soul Brother in Putney - they'll have the Kent 7" in the shop tomorrow - Plus they've got Conya Doss instore from 12pm.

And a whole load of other RSD releases including their own Gil Scott-Heron 7" issue of 'It's Your World' - first time on 7" I believe.

1 Keswick Road, East Putney, London, SW15 2HL. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Just seen (Sat morning) a circa 4/5 minute slot about Record Store Day on Sky News.

If they show it again today then spot the guy right at the end coming out the shop with red record box festooned with NS & Right On badges etc. :hatsoff2:

Don't blink else you'll miss him

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Just seen (Sat morning) a circa 4/5 minute slot about Record Store Day on Sky News.

If they show it again today then spot the guy right at the end coming out the shop with red record box festooned with NS & Right On badges etc. :hatsoff2:

Don't blink else you'll miss him

i saw the same red box on the bbc news...

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Is this the red record box :hatsoff2:

The video is from Grouchos the local Dundee second hand record shop, and as you know the View are from Dundee :D

soulmac.

Yeah, that's the one mate --- Right On! :thumbsup:

and as you know the View are from Dundee

Heard of Dundee cake, never heard of The View I'm glad to say :yes:

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

This just in...

Ace has a handful (and I really DO literally mean a handful!) of copies of the Stars Of Fame EP, for sale through the company's mail order division, Bus Stop. I'm told that they will set you back £10.00 a copy, inclusive of P & P.

These cannot be bought online, purchase is only available through Bus Stop and once they are gone, they are most definitely gone...

If you call Yvette - who deals with all Bus Stop enquiries - on the usual Ace number, between 1000 and 1600, she'll be selling them until the stock is done!

Please don't call or PM me to get one - I'm just the messenger here...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I'm in Middlesbrough and can't get one!! Record Store Day's are a great idea if your town has a record store that is sad.gif

I gather that you haven't bothered to read my post of a couple of hours ago, Mr. L...

...or do you not have phones in Middlesboro' either? :thumbup:

Social source share

RSD is a great thing but it really needs to become RSW (record store week) in future and more stores need to participate.

Too many people have been frustrated because of long queues, no stock, etc.

And copies of EPs such as Toots & The Maytals are immediately on ebay where you can buy-it-now for £59.99 ...ebay day is every day.

Social source share

I gather that you haven't bothered to read my post of a couple of hours ago, Mr. L...

...or do you not have phones in Middlesboro' either? laugh.gif

Yes we do, Tony, there's a kiosk in the town centre (unless it's out of order).

Seriously, though, I live in Middlesbrough too so for me RSD meant buying by mail-order.

:thumbup:

Best wishes,

Paul

Edited by Paul
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

RSD is a great thing but it really needs to become RSW (record store week) in future and more stores need to participate.

Too many people have been frustrated because of long queues, no stock, etc.

And copies of EPs such as Toots & The Maytals are immediately on ebay where you can buy-it-now for £59.99 ...ebay day is every day.

...I queued for three hours at my local RSD participating shop and came away with nothing I really wanted, except the Jimi Hendrix 45. They'd been short shipped on some items and got no copies at all of other things they ordered - including Stars Of Fame and Ace's other RSD release, a 10 inch Seeds EP.

I was myself immensely frustrated not to get the Maytals 45 and to come home and see it already up on eBay. Fortunately for me a pal has since sorted me out for one of those, but it was still annoying not to get Steve Earle, Deep Purple, 13th Floor Elevators, Kort and 2 or 3 others only to come home and find that they were all over eBay even before the shops had closed.

When I left Ace tonight they still had maybe 20 Stars Of Fame EPs left, so I would suggest that anyone who needs to buy one moves a bit sharpish as I'm sure they won't be there at the end of tomorrow...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Yes we do, Tony, there's a kiosk in the town centre (unless it's out of order).

Seriously, though, I live in Middlesbrough too so for me RSD meant buying by mail-order.

Best wishes,

Paul

Paul and Mike, the official video for RSD is from the only record shop left on Teesside. I call in sometimes but it's a pretty soul-less place.

Social source share

...I queued for three hours at my local RSD participating shop and came away with nothing I really wanted, except the Jimi Hendrix 45. They'd been short shipped on some items and got no copies at all of other things they ordered - including Stars Of Fame and Ace's other RSD release, a 10 inch Seeds EP.

I was myself immensely frustrated not to get the Maytals 45 and to come home and see it already up on eBay. Fortunately for me a pal has since sorted me out for one of those, but it was still annoying not to get Steve Earle, Deep Purple, 13th Floor Elevators, Kort and 2 or 3 others only to come home and find that they were all over eBay even before the shops had closed.

When I left Ace tonight they still had maybe 20 Stars Of Fame EPs left, so I would suggest that anyone who needs to buy one moves a bit sharpish as I'm sure they won't be there at the end of tomorrow...

Thanks Tony,

I might order one from Ace in case the copy I ordered from Rough Trade doesn't arrive. No harm having a spare.

Glad you got a copy of Toots & The Maytals without having to pay ebay prices.

Paul

Social source share

Thanks Tomo mate

Nice video, sadly the only indie store left on Teesside but - as you said - it doesn't seem to have any interest in soul or black music.

I might turn the Selrec / Millbrand office into an indie record store - but just for ONE DAY each year !

By the way, I still keep in touch with Tony Hargan who worked at Alan Fearnley Records which operated in Middlesbrough for 45 years ( from 1963 until 2008 when Alan retired) and is sorely missed. I bought imports there when I was only 14.

We were saying what a great day RSD would have been in Middlesbrough. Tony said he misses losing touch with all the customers, I assume Alan feels the same but I haven't seen him for quite a while now.

Paul

P.S. Now that our buddy Mike Lofthouse is retired, I think he should open a record store and you could work for him :thumbup:

Edited by Paul
Social source share

Thanks Tomo mate

Nice video, sadly the only indie store left on Teesside but - as you said - it doesn't seem to have any interest in soul or black music.

Alan Fearnley Records which operated in Middlesbrough for 45 years ( from 1963 until 2008 when Alan retired) and is sorely missed. I bought imports there when I was only 14.

We were saying what a great day RSD would have been in Middlesbrough. Tony said he misses losing touch with all the customers, I assume Alan feels the same but I haven't seen him for quite a while now.

Paul

P.S. Now that our buddy Mike Lofthouse is retired, I think he should open a record store and you could work for him :huh:

Ironic that shop should be picked - its awful!

Saw Alan walking up Linthorpe Road the other week - he looked well - we exchanged emails a year or so ago and yes , he does miss the customers.

I certainly miss his shop - a sad day when it closed. Remember buying Johnnie Taylor's Who's Making Love for my brothers Christmas present for 8/6 in 68/69. Went in on the last day to wish him good luck - I bought Bettye Swann's Honest John CD. Hard to believe it was December 2004 not 2008!!!

We should re-open Austin's round the corner from you in Parliament Road - you never know it could become a Soul quarter lauded by Mayor Mallon smile.gif

Mike

Social source share

Ironic that shop should be picked - its awful!

Saw Alan walking up Linthorpe Road the other week - he looked well - we exchanged emails a year or so ago and yes , he does miss the customers.

I certainly miss his shop - a sad day when it closed. Remember buying Johnnie Taylor's Who's Making Love for my brothers Christmas present for 8/6 in 68/69. Went in on the last day to wish him good luck - I bought Bettye Swann's Honest John CD. Hard to believe it was December 2004 not 2008!!!

We should re-open Austin's round the corner from you in Parliament Road - you never know it could become a Soul quarter lauded by Mayor Mallon smile.gif

Mike

Hello Mike,

I'm glad to hear Alan is well.

Yes, Austin's Record Service was just around the corner from my place. I pass it every day.

But do you know that my house was part of what was once a music store which sold pianos etc? It's part of an L-shaped building cornering Finsbury Street / Parliament Road, I'm told it was the first general store in Middlesbrough.

Something else which fascinates me is that my office / studio on Abingdon Road was once a roller-skating rink. I think there's something groovy about that.

Have you got any skates???

:huh:

Social source share

There is also a great wet fish shop round the corner from you too - not many of them left either - I get my skates from there, Mussels and Halibut too!!!

I have just posted some stuff about Alan Fearnley's on Facebook

Mike

:huh:

Thanks Mike

Social source share

None of the ace stuff got to Ireland I'm led to believe so I missed out on this and the Seeds 10" I was after.

as an aside the toots 45 is available on the trojan website if you're quick......

Well I hope you can get a copy of the 'Stars on Fame' EP from Ace. If not, try Rough Trade online in case they have any left.

And thanks for the tip, I just ordered a Toots EP from Trojan (UMG) for £7.99 post free ...better than paying £59.99 buy-it-now on ebay :thumbsup:

Social source share

Well I hope you can get a copy of the 'Stars on Fame' EP from Ace. If not, try Rough Trade online in case they have any left.

And thanks for the tip, I just ordered a Toots EP from Trojan (UMG) for £7.99 post free ...better than paying £59.99 buy-it-now on ebay :thumbsup:

Oh no, Universal have just emailed me to say my order is cancelled because they're sold out.

I'm gonna tell them I didn't really want a copy anyway, I was just messing them around.

Social source share

What a pile of shite in those boxes John, every time I look there's usually nowt rolleyes.gif still I suppose it's all about going in on the right day and getting a real bargain :lol: AND getting a loyalty discount on top! angry.gif

yes.gif

:wub:

Lenny

James Phelps g.gif £3.20 sir.

soulmac.

Social source share

Oh no, Universal have just emailed me to say my order is cancelled because they're sold out.

I'm gonna tell them I didn't really want a copy anyway, I was just messing them around.

sad.gif

...and my 'Stars of Fame' EP hasn't arrived yet so it looks like RSD wasn't a good day for me.

Social source share

neither has mine, hopefully just slowed down with Easter post.....

I hope so, Chalky.

I ordered one from Rough Trade on Saturday and I'd already ordered one from Dave at Vivid Sound UK.

As long as one of them turns up, I'll be happy.

Social source share

For those of you who haven't been able to get a copy, I have a limited number available of the Stars of Fame limited edition EP 009.

£12.99 each plus p & p.

Call 0115 921 2549 or email to roger-banks@supanet.com

Regards

Roger (R & B Records)

Two copies arrived today, otherwise I'd have ordered one from you.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Plenty copies about at a tenner each, Crazy Beat, Steve Jeffries etc

'Plenty' is rather overstating the case, Len.

I know exactly how many copies were left in the warehouse after Record Store Day and unless you're a man for whom more than one is a lot, 'Plenty' is not the word I'd use to describe what was there...

Anyway, 'plenty' or not, they won't hang about for long so I'd still suggest that anyone who hasn;t got one yet gets one before there are none about to get....

BTW we're already working on RSD 2012 releases, and can promise something special again for real soul fans...

Social source share

'Plenty' is rather overstating the case, Len.

I know exactly how many copies were left in the warehouse after Record Store Day and unless you're a man for whom more than one is a lot, 'Plenty' is not the word I'd use to describe what was there...

Anyway, 'plenty' or not, they won't hang about for long so I'd still suggest that anyone who hasn;t got one yet gets one before there are none about to get....

BTW we're already working on RSD 2012 releases, and can promise something special again for real soul fans...

Yeah well you knew what I meant Tone :wicked::thumbsup:

Mine came through the door today and has already been bagged and kept for future reference :wicked:

:D

Len

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Hi everybody -In my quest to fathom out trends/sales/marketing etc, last years record store day had me prepping in advance and emailing potential record stores in the US and UK with a view to maybe selling them a few copies of my vinyl. I had only one enquiry and that store failed to take stock eventually. I like the notion of the day, and agree it should be a week or even Saturday to Saturday to exploit it even further. The celebration should be longer, where stores can be creative and fanfare the format and stock. This year, I left the day to its own devices, and interestingly have had stock enquiries from other more reliable sources. In the meantime over in the States CD Baby distribute the vinyl for me to those bricks and mortar stores that make a vinyl commitment. Of course, the paid marketing of pressings of say only 500 copies does not guarantee anything, so social networks, forums, blogs etc are more valuable than an advert in a traditional magazine, so the paradox of sales against investment are in question. What I have found with a short run, is that I have, in good faith, given many copies away to a number of contacts and what with a number of clients locally who have had the product, but can't be bothered to pay up, and of course the mysterious disappearance of at least 10 singles in the post all adds up to a complicated scenario. So, my respect goes out to the labels who take an initiative on vinyl pressing and taking risks. Also to the shops who adapt accordingly to their shop front/bricks and mortar presence with web technologies to make things pay. Also to those who pay in advance to those selling etc, whether shops, Ebay or to me. These are the people/DJ's, customers who I feel at their own expense, keep the interest in vinyl worthwhile for new productions. On another note, I had an email recently from somebody who thinks my wholesale product is only worth £1 per single and was prepared to make an offer for remaining stock and any new pressings I do of the same recordings doing what he said was an 'inflated' offer to help me out. However, he did say that I should consider pressing more than 500 copies per release and that he would guarantee to take at least 70%, terms of payment to be negotiated. That was not as bad as the central London record store who also valued any wholesale 12" pressings I was considering for 'Soul Recession' at £1 each, would take 2000, want word wide, exclusive distribution and access to the masters! This store was just 100 mtres from the street corners of Soho, and the store was full of boot legs. This will be a full chapter in the book! I will not be naming the stores or anybody,but there is enough material for a conference about my escapades down central London alone! Long live Record Store Day!

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert