The Most Miserable Record Dealer

Guest Eddies

Richard Domar has got to be one....wouldn't sell you records if you hadn't sent off your order on an A4 sheet of paper :lol:

Social source share

If you're talking about the US...

Bob "the count" Ellis wins

Nods to Rich Rosen and Les Harris

Funny, I bought one record from Richard Domar and it went fine. Maybe I got the 'first purchase' VIP treatment and it's downhill from there.

Social source share

Funny, I bought one record from Richard Domar and it went fine. Maybe I got the 'first purchase' VIP treatment and it's downhill from there.

Got to agree with that re: The Count!!!

Social source share

Ooops

Edited by eamesy
Social source share

Haha great idea for a thread

Owner of D&J in Carnegie outside of Pittsburgh has terrible terrible attitude, found him even more annoying than Rich Rosen and that's saying something. At least you get to eat at the fabled Chat'n'Chew Diner nearby when you go there as a consolation (cheers for that tip Matt)

Social source share

Yes might as well end the thread here

BOB THE COUNT TAKES IT HANDS DOWN.

Maybe You Can Arrange A Head To Head Contest!! Domar V The Count yes.gif They Could Maybe Join Forces And And Do A Sales Course On How To Win Friends And Influence People!! :lol:laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gifbiggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I was gonna say Val Shively, but actually he's probably not that bad.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Owner of D&J in Carnegie outside of Pittsburgh has terrible terrible attitude, found him even more annoying than Rich Rosen and that's saying something. At least you get to eat at the fabled Chat'n'Chew Diner nearby when you go there as a consolation (cheers for that tip Matt)

I haven't been to the store in years but back in the 1980s I always had a good time at D&J. He is rather gruff but as I'm from the Rust Belt culture myself I can speak his language, so to say. My favorite was when I got the Magic Plants "I'm A Nothing" out of the 'reject' box next to the listening turntable. Turns out a UK soul collector was there the night before and passed on it....mine for $8 - thanks mate!

Social source share

John George in Johnstown gives him a run for his money.

Social source share

posted about this subject before, how about allan radwill from new york, he used to have some great records, his grading was , well i dont think i can explain what it was, his packaging was legendary, two bits of cornflake packet, brown powder and selotape protected a come see bobby hutton from the postal service, spoke to him on the phone once as he had not replied to my e -mail, he said "i get over 150 e-mails a day from people like you, what am i supposed to do", bobby hutton arrived in crap condition, still got it, does he still sell ?

Social source share

posted about this subject before, how about allan radwill from new york, he used to have some great records, his grading was , well i dont think i can explain what it was, his packaging was legendary, two bits of cornflake packet, brown powder and selotape protected a come see bobby hutton from the postal service, spoke to him on the phone once as he had not replied to my e -mail, he said "i get over 150 e-mails a day from people like you, what am i supposed to do", bobby hutton arrived in crap condition, still got it, does he still sell ?

god that dude was the worst, multiple times i bought from him on ebay and discoveries where the grooves were literally melted off one of the sides of a "VG++" record

he also had the young ladies up on ebay many years ago and i was the 2nd bidder, waited years for it to come up again only to have it "discovered" by that point by northern djs driving the price over $1000

Social source share

Sorry, Mr. Domar wins hands down

Always answered the phone like youd just woken him up, taking the order like he was paying us :lol: .

Hilarious.

Jim :lol:

One of my friends younger brother started buying records in the 90s.

Anyway he ordered approx 50 records off Richard, so he arranged to pick them up.

So the lad drives down to Richard's 100 mile drive, when he get there, I think it was Richard's dad opens the door and gives him the records.

Not even asked infor a brew or f**k all, and Richard didn't evencome to the door to say hello.:lol:

I pissed myself when I found out , would not expect anything else really.:lol:

Edited by davetay
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes might as well end the thread here

BOB THE COUNT TAKES IT HANDS DOWN.

I'd have said Rosen until only a few months ago, at a Record Show in Pennsylvania, we met up with the Count.

After 20 minutes hardballin' over records, Tats asked him if he had 'vowel problems'.

I died.

:lol:

Sean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest DeeJay

Must admit the count is not a happy chappy Used to have fun with Keith Minshell in the Wigan hayday also Spud Brady wasnt always a happy camper back then

DJ

Social source share

I was gonna say Val Shively, but actually he's probably not that bad.

He's changed his tune in recent decades, he has to kiss a lot more Brit ass these days since the doo wops dried up. I actually preferred him when he was grumpy and considered all soul fans tossers. Despite that we got on well until one day he accused me of nicking records after I'd been going there for ten years and thought we had a decent relationship. He had a hissy fit and I was very close to cracking him one, I had Jimmy Andrews 'Big City Playboy' in my pile for $3 though so decided against it. I didn't bother going back though.

Ady

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

These people you talk of are mere novices in the 'Miserable Record Dealer' stakes...

...the hands-down winner in this category will always be the late Phil Cording, former proprietor of Cheapo Cheapo Records in Rupert Street and a man who was just as unpleasant to his members of staff as he was to his customers.

If ever there was a man less suited to interacting with the public on a daily basis, I've yet to meet him...

Social source share

This was on January 10th 2005

Just thought I'd let you know about this arsehole, he advertises

northern records with reserves that nobody ever meets, so then he

sends private emails offering the records at twice their actual value.

"Dear mayfairmenthol,You bid on this 45 but did not make the reserve.

I am offering this record for $199.99. This is a good price for this

record! Please reply ASAP. Bob,You will save on the postage if you

take 2 or more records! It looks like you will save more on the

postage if you take the 3 records you bid on!!!!"

The records included the Persionettes and The Uptights. I sell the

Uptights for £75-£80 so I'm hardly likely to pay £100.

Anyway I sent him this perfectly polite reply

"Sorry Bob, thanks for the offer but all of those are too expensive

for me, as a dealer I have to be able to make a profit and I couldn't

on those.

thanks anyway though

Pete

so today I got this reply

"Please stop bidding on my records if you can't pay retail! You are

just waisting my time! Bob

naturally I have replied telling him to shove his records up his arse

and I told him I'd make him famous by putting him on my list, and here

he is, so could I suggest that everyone be wary about dealing with an

idiot like this.

His Ebay user name is Count769.

Apart from that, have a good week everyone

Pete

that went out to around 1500 people and a few hours later I had a call from Kev Roberts saying Bob had been in touch with him and could he please call me off!

:lol: brilliant

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Which is why Tats asked him if he had 'vowel problems'

Obviously way too subtle for some, but it slayed me!

:0)

Sean

I'm sure he'll be trotting out that line again in Memphis next week if he goes to River Records, Sean...:lol:

Social source share

One of my friends younger brother started buying records in the 90s.

Anyway he ordered approx 50 records off Richard, so he arranged to pick them up.

So the lad drives down to Richard's 100 mile drive, when he get there, I think it was Richard's dad opens the door and gives him the records.

Not even asked infor a brew or f**k all, and Richard didn't evencome to the door to say hello.:lol:

I pissed myself when I found out , would not expect anything else really.:(

He Hasn't Lost Any Of His Flair!! I Once Got Told I Had Rung Up On The Wrong Day And Told To Ring Up Thurs Between 2 & 6 Then Another Time I Phoned An Order In To Him And Said I Would Call And Pick Them Up On My Way Home As It Was Snowing Like F*ck And I Was Returning Home From Newbury I Got there 12 Noon He Opened The Door Let Me In Took The Cash And Says You Haven't Paid The Postage!! Hello I'm Here I'll Take Them With Me!! Oh No I Only Pick Orders In The Evening I Can't Go Into The Garage Now!!:lol: :lol: And His Latest Gem!!! I By 1 Record For Me And A Couple Of Mates Want A Copy So I Order 3 priced at £15 = £45 + Postage!! NO WAY 1st £15 2nd £20 3rd £25 WTF sad.gif I Thought They Would Be cheaper In Bulk!! :no: Not Here!!:lol: He's A Legend In His Own Lifetime!! :lol: And Apparently I Get On Well With Him :lol: :lol:

Edited by mrtag
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Which is why Tats asked him if he had 'vowel problems'

Obviously way too subtle for some, but it slayed me!

:0)

Sean

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha .... repeat to fade....

Social source share

These people you talk of are mere novices in the 'Miserable Record Dealer' stakes...

...the hands-down winner in this category will always be the late Phil Cording, former proprietor of Cheapo Cheapo Records in Rupert Street and a man who was just as unpleasant to his members of staff as he was to his customers.

If ever there was a man less suited to interacting with the public on a daily basis, I've yet to meet him...

If he beats The Count (#1 in my book) or Domar (#2) then he MUST be a complete arse! :D

Must have been worth it fo you worked there Tony. :D :D

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Richard Domar

I remember many years ago having a right ding dong on the phone about that! :lol:

About 3 weeks had past since I'd phoned for a record off his catalogue so I phoned and asked him where it was and he said "it's still here" eh? I said, why?, cos you never followed my instructions on how to order! ( in a right cheeky manner as well) so I told him to get off his high horse and send the fkn record to which he replied "don't shout at me just cos you got it wrong" :D and then he said "if you want your cheque back (he hadn't cashed it yet) send a stamped addressed envelope and I'll send it back :D

Priceless but I believe he has mellowed now :D

Edited by BIGSOULMAN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Richard Domar

I remember many years ago having a right ding dong on the phone about that! :lol:

About 3 weeks had past since I'd phoned for a record off his catalogue so I phoned and asked him where it was and he said "it's still here" eh? I said, why?, cos you never followed my instructions on how to order! ( in a right cheeky manner as well) so I told him to get off his high horse and send the fkn record to which he replied "don't shout at me just cos you got it wrong" :D and then he said "if you want your cheque back (he hadn't cashed it yet) send a stamped addressed envelope and I'll send it back :lol:

Priceless but I believe he has mellowed now :D

Always seemed to get on ok with Richard Domar, maybe it's because I followed his rules :lol: until I bought something which was a (very good) "2nd issue". Phoned him up & he had no problem taking it back, apologised & said he didn't know it had been pressed..........but this was where it took a funny turn. He said that I could have a credit note no problem or he would send me a cheque but would never sell me another record ! :ohmy: Stupidly some may think I took the credit note, glad I did as I've had a few bargains along the way :D

Social source share

Think I have to stand up for Richard Domar.

Used to buy loads of stuff off him in pre-Internet days . He got his own "rules of acquisition" that I agree are a bit odd. But I got along with him very well as long as I stuck to these rules. Whenever I phoned him to order stuff I ended up chatting with him endlessly about german football clubs. Infact sometimes I went to my parents to call Richard as I knew the phone bill would ruin me :D

Social source share

Think I have to stand up for Richard Domar.

Used to buy loads of stuff off him in pre-Internet days . He got his own "rules of acquisition" that I agree are a bit odd. But I got along with him very well as long as I stuck to these rules. Whenever I phoned him to order stuff I ended up chatting with him endlessly about german football clubs. Infact sometimes I went to my parents to call Richard as I knew the phone bill would ruin me :D

Quite right Benji.... as said I got on ok with him & used to have long conversations with him about records & stuff until he went a bit funny on me once with the refund ??? :D

Social source share

I went to the D&J record shop Pittsburgh about eight years ago. Started to look through the records and the owner came over and said "hello nice to meet you, take no notice of the prices on the sleeves and the more you buy the more I give discount" After about an hour in there I took a pile of 45s up to the counter, nothing rare just nice clean records. He took the pencil from behind his ear and started to cross out the prices on the white paper sleeves and put new prices which were nearly all double the original price. After about ten records I offered to put them all back on the shelves for him. He asked what I was doing, to which I replied, I may from Wales but we don't all live in the mountains. Consequently I was thrown out of the shop with a load of verbal abuse.

The guy in Johnstown was similar, I found about ten nice records and took them to the counter. He pulled John Manships Price guide from under the counter and started pricing them up more than John's prices. I told him I could get them cheaper than that in the UK, so he told me to f*%k off and buy them in the UK and not to waste his time.

Must be all that old coal dust in Pennsylvania !

Kev

Social source share

He Hasn't Lost Any Of His Flair!! I Once Got Told I Had Rung Up On The Wrong Day And Told To Ring Up Thurs Between 2 & 6 Then Another Time I Phoned An Order In To Him And Said I Would Call And Pick Them Up On My Way Home As It Was Snowing Like F*ck And I Was Returning Home From Newbury I Got there 12 Noon He Opened The Door Let Me In Took The Cash And Says You Haven't Paid The Postage!! Hello I'm Here I'll Take Them With Me!! Oh No I Only Pick Orders In The Evening I Can't Go Into The Garage Now!!:ohmy::D And His Latest Gem!!! I By 1 Record For Me And A Couple Of Mates Want A Copy So I Order 3 priced at £15 = £45 + Postage!! NO WAY 1st £15 2nd £20 3rd £25 WTF :lol: I Thought They Would Be cheaper In Bulk!! :lol: Not Here!!:D He's A Legend In His Own Lifetime!! :lol: And Apparently I Get On Well With Him :lol::D

John, it was Gino's younger brother I can't remenmber his name.

Social source share

The only dealing I had with Richard Domar was at Loughborough in 1989, when he bought some records from me! Can even remember what they were: Younghearts WDJ on Canterbury, and Wayne Gibson on UK Columbia issue. He paid me £25 for the pair (my asking price), which was fairly decent at the time.

I found him quite friendly enough; even shook my hand and introduced himself to me. Spent all the niter playing pool and smoking, but he was OK. Reminded me of a pocket-sized Geof Capes!

Social source share

I would`nt call the Count miserable, he is just a fuckin idiot! I dont even look at his records...unless Anderson is around taking the piss out of him, then its the only place to be!

I have so many stories about many of the US names already mentioned but as I`ll be over there in a few weeks it might not be the right time to tell them!

Richard Domar gets my vote for the UK....

Chris

Social source share

I remember the bloke in the Diskery, Hurst Street, Birmingham was pretty miserable at times. I was in there once in 1970 when two lads walked in, one eating chips. The first lad said, 'can I listen to a particular record' and followed it up by saying, 'I won't be buying it today because I'm broke'. The fellow from behind the counter marched out, grabbed them by the scruff of the necks and said, 'you eating chips can bugger off and you who wants the record, come back when you have the money'. :D Still remember the looks on their faces! Just for the record, my mate who I was with bought Girl Why You Wanna Make Me Blue on Gordy for £5, probably worth about the same today (?) :D Ade

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!