The Most Miserable Record Dealer

Anyone visited John Moore's shop in Philadelphia. ?

We called him Ruggy Moore as he had the worst syrup you could imagine, precariously balanced on his head. Initially Ruggy came across as a miserable bleeder, but cheered up a bit after 5 of us had purchased a few piles of vinyl.

Social source share

I never knew the name of this record dealer, but he'd give any already mentioned in this thread a good run for their money! Christ he was a miserable bastard!

Don't know if anyone will remember, but many years ago there were record dealers in front of the stage at the 100 Club. My mate was after a copy of 'I ain't a bit sorry' by the Dedications. Only at the time he thought it was by Ben E King. So anyway he asks this guy "excuse me mate have you got I ain't a bit sorry by Ben E King"? To which matey replied "It's not by Ben E King" - my mate "whose it by then" - dealer "the Dedications" - mate "you got one"? dealer - "no".

Anyway we moved along the line a found a copy. On our way back my mate (holding his purchase aloft) said to Mr Happy, "I got that Dedications record' - The dealer just about managed a very low grade acknowledgement.

What a tosser, live a little mate, smile a bit ffs! lol.

Richard Domar is a God. He's not the God but he's sort of a God in obscure soul record collecting terms and in my eyes anyway. smile.gif

Social source share

Brilliant thread guys. Some of the stories made me laugh out loudthumbsup.gif

Over here in there's some stiff competition though. In Town Mikey mentioned someone and I think who that is, and he can be grumpy allright.

The other guy in my home town is like a town legend where I live. From the top of my head his achievements include: "I hold the record for most expensive copy sold in Belgium for this record, so if you think you'll get this copy any cheaper (insert cuss words)". So that tells you something about his prices.

Other thing is when someone is stupid enough to order a record there he doesn't have in stock, and stupid enough to give him an advance payment. That usually guarantees some jolly visits to his store and of course no sign of the record/your money.

On another note: I heard there's a (non-soul related) shop in Berlin that's famous for this. Maybe one of the Berlin guys knows what I'm talking about?

Social source share

Bought some good records off Richard Domar, however he never advertised condition so you had to go through a lengthy process of communication before deciding whether you wanted to buy. There was one record that I was particularily keen on and Richard's description of 'looks a bit rough' or words to that effect made me uncertain so I asked whether I could hear it down the phone -'Can't mate, I haven't got a record player'. A truly class act.

By the way I once got a refund off him - has anyone else managed to achieve the same?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Just recieved a record from Les Harris in Texas, graded VG. It looks like a tube of superglue has hit the playing surface, afterwards it was sandpapered and cleaned with sharp knifes and hydrochloric acid. Useless to say, that it's unplayable...

Here is what he answered after my complain:

"This is a grading dispute> :) These records made almost 40 years ago were not made to be played on modern stereo equipment I :lol: play graded it and it played with equal amount surface noise and music which is what VG means R"

He gets my vote for now and if someone wants to avoid this jerk on ebay his new id is: rpg_0915

yeah, what led me to post his name earlier in his thread is that I noticed a new ID on ebay (that one) that was instantly recognizable as him. how f'ing shady do you have to be that you have to constantly be opening new ebay accounts. what a total sleazebag.

Social source share

THE SHOP YOUR ON ABOUT WAS HATHERLEY'S 217-219 CANNOCK RD .PARK VILLAGE.WOLVERHAMPTON. WAS GOING TO ADD THE BROWN PAPER BAG WITH SHOP DETAILS can't seem to get image. AS AM A BIT OF A SADDO. i COLLECT RECORD SHOP BAGS AS A TRIBUTE TO SO MANY FORGOTTEN DEALERS

Social source share

Anyone visited John Moore's shop in Philadelphia. ?

We called him Ruggy Moore as he had the worst syrup you could imagine, precariously balanced on his head. Initially Ruggy came across as a miserable bleeder, but cheered up a bit after 5 of us had purchased a few piles of vinyl.

Yep been in there, mentioned him on another thread somewhere, true he does cheer up when you start buying though. :hatsoff2::D

Social source share

• 2 years later...

I used to go to Rock On in Camden Town about once a month in the early 80s. Slim Irish fella with glasses was usually on the counter there - never knew his name. LPs were all racked out in the shop and 45s were in open boxes behind the counter, so you had to ask for the categories. Soul stuff came in a variety of boxes marked 'Motown', 'Stax/Atlantic' 'US labels', '60s Soul', '70s Soul' and so on. Normally the guy was always pretty helpful and would cheerily pull down each box one at a time, even at busy times. I usually walked out of there with 20 or so items if not more - plenty of TMG500s, UK Sue, Stateside etc. One morning, I walked in bright and breezy - it was quiet in there and I asked to see the "Soul boxes", gruffly he replied.......

- "Which ones?"

- "well, all of them"

- "what are you after?"

- "well, soul stuff generally"

- (getting irritated with me now) "yes, but WHAT!!?? What titles?? WHAT ARTISTS ARE YOU AFTER??!!"

- "well, all sorts, depends what you have this month in the boxes"

- "Suppose you're after all that Northern dance shit, aren't ya?!!" he gruffly bellowed, glowering at me as he pulled the first box down dumping it crossly on the counter

After that he seemed OK. I pulled out my usual selection. He totalled them up and gave me a decent discount on the marked prices, as he usually did. Thanked me nice as pie and said see you again soon mate!!

I still don't know what all that was about. Maybe the bank manager had phoned him about the business overdraft before I came in. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes, that's so annoying. I used to come across it in the Sates quite a lot - not being able to browse through boxes but having to name artists. I mean, how many bloomin' soul artists are there?! I had harsh words once with Richard Domar about his rude phone manner. He seemed quite taken aback! He said he wasn't really rude - just misunderstood. Apparently, he just sounded like he was being rude because of his accent, but actually he was being lovely and polite! Visiting him in his upstairs lair was always a rather bizarre experience, to say the least.

Social source share

Coincidentally I was looking for Richard Domar's site the other day and it's disappeared now  :g: 

Sure I looked at it not that long ago.

Cheers

Richard

Last time I spoke to him he was sending out list with various discounts as he stated it wasn't worth keeping the website open!! :yes:

Social source share

My mate used to have Richard Domars catalogue for around a fiver i think and a couple of times a year or so he'd send out updates as his stock changed new arrivals on white A4 sheets and a pale coloured one with records that had been sold,anyway my mate rings Mr Happy and tries to order a record and after a while back came the reply its on the blue/pink ?? sheet your a fu**ing idiot my mate replied no i ain't im colour blind you cu** :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Great idea for a thread... Went to Bill's in Dallas at Easter - like you say, nothing is priced up and the computer based prices are silly so what few records that should be taken away are just left in stacks on the messy fixtures. Bill prefers to sit behind the counter smoking rather than sort out the shambles of 45's. Found a small handful but knowing his pricing method, left them all behind.

It's not the miserable dealers you need to worry about. A few days ago, I was at The Record Man, Redwood City, Bay Area, going through 45's in a container in the parking lot - owner, Gary comes out, all chatty, shakes hand, brags about half a million records...anyway, I find a 12-15 cheapies that I already have so I ask him to price them up which he does on the computer, stuff like Essex on Roulette, Timi Yuro on Liberty, Syl Johnson on Twinight etc all $3 usually but worth taking away for resale. Gary sticks price stickers on the sleeves with $20, $18 etc so I just said sorry but I am not paying that so I walked out empty handed having dug for almost two hours. First time I have ever had to leave every single record priced up behind.

Richie Rosen has been the most offensive record dealer I have had the mispleasure of dealing with. On one occasion, he was so rude and arrogant towards me, he actually apologised as he realised that he had gone way beyond the bounds of acceptable behaviour. Not been back for many years now but would do so on the off-chance that he would suffer a fatal heart attack and I would have to leave the store in a such a hurry I might forget to leave the records I was holding. Buyers beware, Richie allows customers to use an ancient record player, early 50's jobbie that tracks at 5 ounces and ruins all styrene records.

Most record dealers have their quirks but they are soon forgotten if the records are good and the price is right. However, computer based prices are giving lazy and disorganised dealers the idea they are sitting on a goldmine and English collectors are mugs to be fleeced - this is something we should campaign against.

Social source share

Thought John Moore in Philly was a smashing guy, loosened up loads when we started playing and looking for group records, couldn't keep him quiet after that, "play this guys, you,ll love it",we  played The Players "He,ll be back" him and his mate were taken aback, "jeez, do you guys like this kind of stuff", had a couple of really good days in his "House of harmony"

Kev

Social source share

If you're talking about the US...

Bob "the count" Ellis wins

Nods to Rich Rosen and Les Harris

Funny, I bought one record from Richard Domar and it went fine. Maybe I got the 'first purchase' VIP treatment and it's downhill from there.

Richie "You can only have one copy" Rosen.

Social source share

Catherine jones in sandbach was a tough lady to deal with , I remember Keith Minshull getting barred as she had count boxes of loads of British issues - I bought a few bits and luckily served by her husband !! Cath wasn't in that day and I gave him a list but nothing - he agreed to let me look thru the racks - everything I picked out to buy was a "work of art" according to him !! Cheap records and stone mint too but mr Minshull and a few others raped it on sue action stateside etc .

Social source share

Richard Domar once sent me a box of about 500 70s 45s on spec(was mid 80s),i had first dibs then i took them round Andy Etheridges for him to go through.

Bet i/we left some good bits in their.Wish i could have another look through.

Was he not behind a fanzine called The Owls Effort??(may have title wrong)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

When I first started going to the Old Vic Richard Domar would always be sat in the record bar, in a corner 10-15 feet from everybody else, well it always seemed that way. Personally back then he was never rude to me or my mates, we were all teenagers, with not allot of money, so once I'd separated out my beer money, I'd say Ive £15/20 to spend, and He would suggest stuff...

I do remember he had a very 'cold' feeling to him, but we didn't care, we spent our cash, grabed a pint and headed for the Buffet, once fed,  onto the Dance floor...I do miss the Vic..

Who's got the title for the most cardboard sleeves stamped with dealer info in circulation then, Domar must be king there I've actually found his in Oz, and been send tracks in them from the States...

Malcolm

Edited by Mal.C.
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Somebody said in a previous post RD wasn't rude but misunderstood. That sums it up IMO. In one of my first orders I didn't play by his rules (sent money 'signed for' to his home address and not PO box) and received a let's say pretty straight forward letter lacking any kind of diplomacy. I was pretty pi**ed off back then and stopped ordering from him for some time.

after some time I calmed down and started ordering again, but calling him instead of sending a letter. He turned out to be a pleasent guy to talk to on the phone and we actually spent at least 30 minutes discussing my football team before I placed my order.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Richard Domar by a country mile.

Bear in mind I'm calling from Australia and the Wolves kick off time isn't exactly in the middle of my radar screen. He picks up the phone and I'd hardly uttered one syllable when he cut in and called me a stupid c**t for calling him during the match. A world class swearing contest ensued along with threats of broken bones. Never spoke to or dealt with him since that day about 13 years ago.

Cheers......Pete :boxing:

Social source share

Mr R Domar could be abrupt or rude, especially if you weren't following his rules! He was a bit idiosyncratic, but was always fair with his prices when buying, wasn't over the top with his sales prices, and would cut you a deal on multiples. If you could ever get him to let you in to his house during the very few hours a week he was prepared to receive visitors, you'd have found a clever bloke with a love of football and music who'd quite happily suggest stuff for you that you might not know.

He has retired now as has been mentioned, and most of his stock was up on E-bay at one point, he's had his problems, and his troubles over the years, and was the right time for him to wind things down on the record dealer side. 

Social source share

I used to get Richard Domars lists - but did';t know where to start they were so huge. He is a man of international mystery - anyone got a picture of him?

Peter

Richard Domar, being from a relatively 'privileged' middle- class medical family, I believe was given the freedom to pursue a career as a professional dealer, which probably contributed to his particularly insular approach.

I remember his late father welcoming me on a number of occasions, before Richard 'greeted' me in his own special manner and led me up to the smoke filled lair of a room, full of constantly on tv's and vcr's recording different channels, in constant want of daylight, then I would be privileged to spend time going through the shelves at Domar Towers before bringing in a bunch of tunes to finalise business dealings.

He could be extremely difficult, especially by phone, and visits could have a very odd atmosphere at times, but I think it was a sign of his own anxieties that led to his difficult manner, which definitely seemed mellowed with age. I'm sure he'll pick up on this renewed interest, as he often mentioned reading the posts on SS, most probably

incognito in 'anonymous' mode.

As for a picture, I'm sure someone will have something, for the rest - once seen never forgotten!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Richard Domar, being from a relatively 'privileged' middle- class medical family, I believe was given the freedom to pursue a career as a professional dealer, which probably contributed to his particularly insular approach.

I remember his late father welcoming me on a number of occasions, before Richard 'greeted' me in his own special manner and led me up to the smoke filled lair of a room, full of constantly on tv's and vcr's recording different channels, in constant want of daylight, then I would be privileged to spend time going through the shelves at Domar Towers before bringing in a bunch of tunes to finalise business dealings.

He could be extremely difficult, especially by phone, and visits could have a very odd atmosphere at times, but I think it was a sign of his own anxieties that led to his difficult manner, which definitely seemed mellowed with age. I'm sure he'll pick up on this renewed interest, as he often mentioned reading the posts on SS, most probably

incognito in 'anonymous' mode.

As for a picture, I'm sure someone will have something, for the rest - once seen never forgotten!

Thanks for the reply buddy.

Sort of confirms the mental picture I had of him - based purely on what I have read. Sort of stay at home guy with some social kinda problems with fairly comfortable parents. He certainly sounds interesting and very entertaining. We all have our different sides and funny ways - it's nice that quite a few people saw the nice side in Richard. I have a mate who comes across as being very rude and abrupt - he isn't like that at all. He's shy.

Peter

Social source share

seems like he was camera shy too.

Harpo and I did have photos, but most them seem to have got lost, given away, or put into one of Harpos 'projects'' over the years, I think he may still have a couple floating around.

I'll give him a ring this evening and ask him.

Social source share

Warming to the theme... First trip to Bill 's in Dallas about eight years ago, bloke goes up to the counter with one of those really old record binder books with sleeved 45's in, probably those ghastly maroon and turquoise objects we generally ignore, and Bill says it is $50. I have never seen anyone show any interest in these 1950's binders or contents and I suspect the bloke might have paid $10 for this item which will probably never ever sell.

Back in the mid 90's, went to Lowell, Massachusetts. Went into a TV store and the guy said it was the oldest record store in the USA. Possibly true as Lowell had the first cotton mills in the country. Owner and sidekicks were out of Deliverance, weird but oddly effeminate. Said I could not look at the stock as I did not have a list. Now lost track of the times access has been refused on the grounds of 'no list'...

Went to Cheapos in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1995. Told the hippy store minder what I was after and he said 'not that Northern Soul shit'. Proprietor had just computerized the inventory so I spent two hours going through the listing of hundreds of columns of tiny print. Listed about 10 records and then asked the minder to pull them from the rack. Request was met by the sigh of the century. Professionals...yes it's there and he tosses it onto the counter; also got Ty Karim on Romark, all records $3 each. Shop did not take credit cards so ran to the bank as fast as possible. Next trip, found two copies of Ruby Sherry on Take 6. Went back again in 1997 and the hippy minder said 'it's you again, you better come behind the counter and look for yourself'.

Enjoyed the time spent in John Moores Blue Room in Philly 1993 - came away with lots of low end records you never see nowadays and plenty that have become quite collectable eg Royal Five on Tyler, Intensions on Blue Light etc. Went to Val Shivelys on the way to the airport to be told 'we don't take credit cards'...how times have changed.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

The horrible American who owned the Swan masters and Global in Manchester...was his name Ed Balbier?..

One day before a Ritz All-Dayer they had a sale so we went along and were invited to order from a list.,

I was wholesaling at the time so ordered (more in hope than anything else) big quantities of titles. He went mad when he saw the amount I wanted and started screaming and swearing at me, I gave him back the same to the astonishment of a watching Pat Brady we had a massive row. He banned me for life there and then. As a parting shot i said "Well if you have only got the one Detroit Sound LP can I still have it" and he went really ballistic.

A few years later I released The Four Perfections "I'm Not Strong Enough" on Inferno and as he had relased it already on Cream, he demanded that we cease and desist. Have still got a copy of the telegram from Irving Weinroth to Balbier pointing out that his licence had expired and he should shut up. 

Funniest dealer has got to Anthony Lewis of Oldies Unlimited in Telford. We used to buy from him all the time and I  never get over that if you said you wanted a certain quantity he would not count the quantity,  but instead would measure out "two inches worth" or whatever. He was very fair to deal with. I was the very first  customer allowed to see him when he moved to Telford from St. Leonards-On-Sea and had memorised on the train all the O-keh titles on Brian Phillips latest list. I got them all and ended up taking loads up to Va-Va's to flog.  He appears on TV now as an expert on Massage Parlours.

Edited by Neil Rushton
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

The horrible American who owned the Swan masters and Global in Manchester...was his name Ed Balbier?..

One day before a Ritz All-Dayer they had a sale so we went along and were invited to order from a list.,

I was wholesaling at the time so ordered (more in hope than anything else) big quantities of titles. He went mad when he saw the amount I wanted and started screaming and swearing at me, I gave him back the same to the astonishment of a watching Pat Brady we had a massive row. He banned me for life there and then. As a parting shot i said "Well if you have only got the one Detroit Sound LP can I still have it" and he went really ballistic.

A few years later I released The Four Perfections "I'm Not Strong Enough" on Inferno and as he had relased it already on Cream, he demanded that we cease and desist. Have still got a copy of the telegram from Irving Weinroth to Balbier pointing out that his licence had expired and he should shut up. 

Funniest dealer has got to Anthony Lewis of Oldies Unlimited in Telford. We used to buy from him all the time and I  never get over that if you said you wanted a certain quantity he would not count the quantity,  but instead would measure out "two inches worth" or whatever. He was very fair to deal with. I was the very first  customer allowed to see him when he moved to Telford from St. Leonards-On-Sea and had memorised on the train all the O-keh titles on Brian Phillips latest list. I got them all and ended up taking loads up to Va-Va's to flog.  He appears on TV now as an expert on Massage Parlours.

Great post Neil , perhaps for inclusion in your next book ?

Edited by andybellwood
Social source share

Somebody said in a previous post RD wasn't rude but misunderstood. That sums it up IMO. In one of my first orders I didn't play by his rules (sent money 'signed for' to his home address and not PO box) and received a let's say pretty straight forward letter lacking any kind of diplomacy. I was pretty pi**ed off back then and stopped ordering from him for some time.

after some time I calmed down and started ordering again, but calling him instead of sending a letter. He turned out to be a pleasent guy to talk to on the phone and we actually spent at least 30 minutes discussing my football team before I placed my order.

The reason he was pissed of was that he never got up till at least 12 midday and the postie would have woken him, Andy Spencer sent him an empty record packet a few times like that just to wind him up. :lol:  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The reason he was pissed of was that he never got up till at least 12 midday and the postie would have woken him, Andy Spencer sent him an empty record packet a few times like that just to wind him up. :lol:  

sheers class... I love it... :lol:

Social source share

Neil

Balbier would usually avoid dealing with most of his customers, especially us youngsters , who he referred to as "kids". A lowly employee would be sent out to deal with them and the hapless customer was told not to cross a white line across the floor. But you made the biggest mistake by ordering large quantities, which makes any dealer panic as they think the price must be too low. Usually the titles would be "out of stock" until the next list , by which time the price had shot up.

Your release of the Four Perfections probably riled him as some years before the Cream release of Johnny Jones -Purple Haze had to be pulled as Decca claimed ownership even though William Bell had licensed it to Global.

Agree about Anthony Lewis, thoroughly decent chap!! but massage parlours? surely not.

Rick

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!