Problem With The Record,please Advise A.s.a.p

Psamsara

Ok,the problem is with

Larry Houston - I need love / I know we can make it (Ambassador)

I need love side plays great. I believe the other side did as well until i tried to "clean" it. It was a bit dirty so i did what i usually do (although i maybe shouldn't?)

- i released a warm breath on it and wiped it out. The moment needle dropped in the groove i could hear noise.. like a permanent hiss from the left channel,

pretty loud. It's not the needle or anything,both decks play the same. Sometimes when i drop a needle there's noise but then it suddenly stops for a moment.

I have 6 hours to do something as i would really like to play it. As i said i do the same with other records but never had a problem. Don't have any of the stuff used

for cleaning records. Any help would be much appreciated!

:D

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Ok,the problem is with

I need love side plays great. I believe the other side did as well until i tried to "clean" it. It was a bit dirty so i did what i usually do (although i maybe shouldn't?)

- i released a warm breath on it and wiped it out. The moment needle dropped in the groove i could hear noise.. like a permanent hiss from the left channel,

pretty loud. It's not the needle or anything,both decks play the same. Sometimes when i drop a needle there's noise but then it suddenly stops for a moment.

I have 6 hours to do something as i would really like to play it. As i said i do the same with other records but never had a problem. Don't have any of the stuff used

Just get over it and play something different instead. Nearly said something better....

Social source share

Ok,the problem is with

Earthing problem?.Have you swapped speaker cables over?.Same hiss with other records?

Social source share

What had you been eating when you breathed on it? :D

Now now Pete...not on your Birthday :thumbsup:

On a serious note ......psmarama .............your not by chance a circus fire breather are you ?? Petrol fumes will do that to a record :lol:

Social source share

Just run it under the sink. warm tapwater with a bit of rubbing works wonders. 

"id heard once that pva gluemight lift any shit out of the grooves once it sets."

Yup. I do this from time to time on REALLY gritty records. I started cautiously (cheap records) and moved my way up. Flame away, but it really works. There's a 21 page forum post on everything you'd ever need to know about this process (not on this site though).

Edited by ak45
Social source share

Oh you guys :hatsoff2:

God knows what i ate that day... could be some mushrooms though.

Cleaning didn't help,used some stuff like fairy on a sponge,rinsed it off with cold water,dried it - but nothing changed. Noise is still there all the way through.

Record was mint,and record looks mint,but i can not say that it didn't play like this even the first time. I believe i messed it up,but what i find strange is that the noise

is all the way through,and i mean all the way through,from the run in to the run out,it never settles. Only that,what i mentioned before... when i drop a needle in the run in, the noise is there. After repeating this 5-10 times,what happens is that the noise is there and then it stops for a very brief moment. But it does stop. And needle is in the groove all the time.

I will get a new one,it's not a big deal. I just wanted to know if i have done something wrong,to keep my other records safe. So that warm breath (after washing teeth ,off course) is ok then?

Social source share

:lol: Hi All ... To reduce hiss on a record can be achieved, However this advise is not !00% and if record does not improve do not blame me?

:- 1. always replace the needle after any incident, that might cause stylus ware, tip. if you are cleaning fluff from cartridge every 3 to 4 records replace and clean your records?

2. when you play the damaged disk, what channel is the his on or is it left or right side,

3. have you got a graphic equalizer and if so can you reduce the high tops of the peaks. if yes you may be able to try my method if you are unsure or unclear or the answer is no.well i would say hard Luck. as all methods of record restoration is based on skimming we don't know how to grow plastic yet???

4. you will need ideally a dust bug with a cocktail stick fitted to the correct hight,to make the angle parallel to disk, DON'T GUESS!

5. METHOD always try out on rubbish records before attempting to do any thing on a rare record PLEASE, Start with the point of your wooden stick on the inside a nd work outward (that toward you) do up until the fade out, wipe down with meths & lint free rag, check to see if this has reduced the hiss, if yes, start from the center and play backwardly only. never go forewords and and wipe down before playing, you may need t add a gram or two above your temp pick up but make sure extra weight is not digging another hiss, i would suggest stop when you have tried 5 attempts,

6. this has worked well for me in the past hope it does for you.

7. if you do tamper around with labels or record wax, and the sell it. without informing the buyer, you need a kick in ph34r.gif DAVE

Social source share

Luke warm water in a bowl, 2 drops of washing up liquid, swish it round with you finger to mix it up, but not to foam, wipe record with the solution on a soft cloth (you can rub quite hard), rinse under cold water tap, dry thoroughly with dry soft cloth, and if that doesn't work, forget it.

Edited by steveluigi
Social source share

Guest Preems

tooth brush and dishsoap in lukewarm water is excellent

Warm breath sounds fine, just don't do it after a VINDALOO !!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, a little washing up liquid and a soft babies toothbrush works fine.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert