and Even More Ebay Madness

• Replies 30
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I've seen em allot cheaper than that, and I paid around £40 sterlinng for a VG++ copy not 6 months ago...

I know I'm always saying allot are cheaper, but they are if you look.... I just cant ever be a John Manship type customer..ph34r.gif

Mal.C

Social source share

whilst in the last week a copy failed to sell - didn't reach it's reserve price (or even double figures!)

No, that was another copy from the same seller who sold the $610 one and it probably sold for more or a similar amount as the first copy. It was on eBay for only a day or so before the auction got cancelled. The seller probably was offered a substantial amount for it off-eBay so pulled it.

Social source share

Butch played it at the 100 the other week........

The second copy was pulled due to a high offer from what i can make out...

Plus should read the threads properly, looks like my revelations have already been covered... :hatsoff2::) DOH

Edited by corbett80
Social source share

No, that was another copy from the same seller who sold the $610 one and it probably sold for more or a similar amount as the first copy. It was on eBay for only a day or so before the auction got cancelled. The seller probably was offered a substantial amount for it off-eBay so pulled it.

That figures :yes: .

:thumbsup: And there was me thinking I was the only person who'd spotted it, and that I'd simply mis-judged the end time! :lol:

:yes: - Kev.

Social source share

I really wish i'd bought this when it was a twenty-quidder.

oops, silly me, i did.

:thumbsup:

It was even less than 20 at one time. When the first batch turned up about 15 years I bought two copies, tenner each. Shrewd businessman I am I later sold both on @ 30 and 50 quid each thinking I made a nice profit. :yes:

For sure it's not one that is around in quantity. When you look at the label (partially hand stamped, some credits missing, etc.) you know immediately it's a private press that didn't sell well.

Social source share

I was struggling to sell this at £30 a few years ago, it sat in my sales box for well over a year before I managed to sell it..

And if you look back through sales Mark Shepherd ,who used to play it in the n east ,put it on his list at £20...and then for £10 after no one wanted it!

He always had good taste did Shep.

Social source share

I think theres been quite a few people playing this on and off across the country for a while.

Personally I think its one of the best crossover records i've ever heard, the intro and first line as it comes in is a killer.

Definitely seems to have been played for a long time, I wasn't trying to say I was being particularly clever or anything! But I am curious about the Stafford thing.

And I agree, it really is the bollocks. The intro sounds like a Wu Tang sample.

Social source share

'definitely seems to have been played for a long time, I wasn't trying to say I was being particularly clever or anything!'

No of course, i just meant I think its been a popular record amongst people for quite some time. Seems to be equating to regular dance floor action now though, long deserved? I'm curious about Stafford too. From what i've heard so much was tried out and then immediately dropped that it could be the case it had a bit of action? I guess Dave T is the man to ask?

This 45 has got some seriously sublime stuff going on in it. Good work Sherrells! hatsoff2.gif

Edited by corbett80
Social source share

all good with heinsight if we knew which of our 10GBP buys were goign to shoot up ion value we'd all be rich.

how many 10GBOP records from 10-20 years ago are still worth the tenner they cost. Probably most.

I can't think of a huge amount of my 10GBP buys (in fact hardly any) that are now worth 300GBP.

Social source share

Definitely seems to have been played for a long time, I wasn't trying to say I was being particularly clever or anything! But I am curious about the Stafford thing.

And I agree, it really is the bollocks. The intro sounds like a Wu Tang sample.

We used to spin this at the Hoist nites in conisbrough,i think just after stafford but there's no reason why it wouldn't have been played prior to that ,it was a number when i worked at browny's,that sid there was only around 10 copies of it and i bought 5 ,found one a couple of months ago which was the first i'd had for nearly twenty years...U.S guys have been asking for it for 2 - 3 years.. I reckon it's gonna be a tricky one to find ,certainly in the states !

Social source share

Not a Stafford record. I recollect it turning up in the early 1990s, when the Cross-over period was in vogue. There was a few copies at Tim Brown's place, via Martin Koppell's stock. Tim was selling it for £8 each (probably £4 at the warehouse) I think most people back then would have got their copy from that source eg. Pat Brady, who bought many 45s from Anglo American. All the main collectors would have bought a copy during that period, so you should assume Tim had at least 50 copies. Soul Bowl also had some copies, as did a few other record-hounds that scoured America at that time. It was not a real rarity, but these records don't last forever on sales lists and in sales boxes. As new waves of collectors turn up, looking for something interesting to buy, they usually discover that what was once a easy record to find, is now hard to find, with the added irritation of an older collector urging caution......"it's an £8 record/there are loads of those around"

Another point to consider is that during the 9ts, in amongst the thousands of great records turning up, this was just another record that maybe some would buy and others would not. Back then it wasn't really what djs would look for in a record, but now, with the changing components of what consitutes a good record for the dance floor and the lack of new discoveries, it's a different story. Hence a price hike !

Social source share

Back then it wasn't really what djs would look for in a record, but now, with the changing components of what consitutes a good record for the dance floor and the lack of new discoveries, it's a different story. Hence a price hike ! '

Is there not a small possibility people might want to buy it because they realise its a great record, and not because 'of a lack of new discoveries'?

Social source share

different tune but even madder ...roland alphonso/el toro..a great ska record on last week for $150...now down to $100...its the b side of a desmond dekkar tune( 007 i think) and is worth a fiver tops!...

unless its an add for someones website ofcourse as i didnt open it up

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert