Okeh

45cellar

Okeh # 7169 The Sherry Sisters " Dancing With Tears In My Eyes "

I picked this up in the States many years ago ( 1979 to be exact ) whilst on a buying trip , and not knowing the title or the artists , but knowing full well the label , I was hoping of it being a " dancer " ....... only to find on return home it was not :D

Malc

Social source share

Guest Dante

My favorite song on the label, by far. Not a dancer, but definitely one of the greatest performances ever laid on a record. The lyrics are just absolutely wonderful despite their despair, lack of faith and sense of failure:

Walter Jackson - It's An Uphill Climb To The Bottom

Edited by Dante
Social source share

My favorite song on the label, by far. Not a dancer, but definitely one of the greatest performances ever laid on a record. The lyrics are just absolutely wonderful despite their despair, lack of faith and sense of failure:

I have got to agree with you Dante - " IAUCTTB " is a wonderful record , but I am biased when it comes to the sound of WJ's voice , so much so that many years ago when I promoted a club , the closing record was this gem from the man .......

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

OKeh_4-7266-A.jpg

The buzz that I got with this record, I still get to this day when I acquire certain records close to my heart.

Classic sound, the kind of record that Northern Soul was built on! Great stuff!

I have always liked "Too Hot To Hold " - Major Lance . I remember a time in the main room at Lowton, when ithe DJ gave it a spin , it was amazing to hear the difference playing loud in a venue!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Current Okeh favourite would be Vibrations-End Up Crying.

but still got a soft spot for the proper side of the Tangeers--What's The Use Of Me Trying

ATB

Tony

oh yes!! tune mr parker

russ

also what about the flip to major lance - ydwma - wait til i get you in my arms :)

Social source share

• 8 months later...
Guest Ghetto Verite

Ted Taylor's Can't Take No More is doin' it to me in my ear hole right now & has done since I first bought it. Every man should have a copy in his audio arsenal because it is the single most devastating defence one can employ in the face of an uppity femme fatale! Batter her with Can't Take No More, & if she's still kicking - engage the flip, a sublime sequel to Englebert's Please Release Me, entitled I'll Release You. The beauty of this form of defence is that it's psychological - Ted does all the work meaning you can relax without having to keep saying 'yes dear.' I reckon it'll also work for the gay brethren among you too! How's that for equality?

Janz.

Edited by Ghetto Verite
Social source share

this realy is a brilliant label with something for everybody.

williams and watson "too late" one of the first tracks that got me into northern. Out and out stomper of real quality and a thumping bass line.

actually just revisiting the vol 1 CD comp in the car just now and the tracks sound great having not listened to them for years.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest allnightandy

Jimmy Breedlove As i have said before i collect Okeh demo's these are just pure soul !

Marie Knight , this was released twice a couple of years apart the later being slightly faster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeSOKikH-s8

And this from the great Ted Taylor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6X-Qvb0pk4

There is one other record i wanted to post but couldn't find it on you tube

By the late great Walter Jackson Road to Ruin if anyone could upload it it would be great

thanks Andy

Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

an absolutley wonderful record , and i dance to it ...slowly

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

My Personal favourite ... On the deck at Oxford ... What a good looking record ...Swoon :wub:

We will never part :lol:

308886_2332664990531_1066974539_32509764_845586300_n.jpg

I bought this and the seven souls at Wigan back in the 70's for 50p each LOL :D
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

an absolutley wonderful record , and i dance to it ...slowly

Wasn't it used in the film "The streets of Phlladelphia " ?

It was "Live and Die in LA"

Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest allnightandy

Hows about this then?

OKEH had a massive Country and western / blue grass section with all the greats of the day recording on it

also OKEH was a big jazz label

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!