Patty Stokes On Jm's Auction

• Replies 33
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I sold mine a few years ago on here for considerably less .... and havent seen one since then! so maybe yes..

I sold one about 6 months back for 125 or 150 - pretty sure it was listed on Soul Source so should be able to check - never in a million years 300 quid record

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Hi Folks,

Just wondering if Patty Stokes is worth what's being bid on it.

ATB Steve

If someone wants it bad enough,they'll pay.Maybe someone who's sat at home cant be bothered trawling at all nighters?.Stick a big bid in and wait.

If i remember correctly one went thru ebay a year or so ago for around 100.Just missed out on your's Pete,at about the right price.

Social source share

Hi Folks,

Just wondering if Patty Stokes is worth what's being bid on it.

ATB Steve

It's about time somebody started championing this one - 'Is it True' is a stunner to my ears. Played it during a last hour spot at the Wilton years ago and it got a fair few noses over the deck front.:thumbsup: Apart from that, never heard it out much until recently.

Other side's a top 'un as well. Love 'em both to bits :yes:

Social source share

It's about time somebody started championing this one - 'Is it True' is a stunner to my ears. Played it during a last hour spot at the Wilton years ago and it got a fair few noses over the deck front.:lol: Apart from that, never heard it out much until recently.

Other side's a top 'un as well. Love 'em both to bits yes.gif

Funnily enough i played 'Is it true' on Saturday afternoon at Prestatyn. Both sides are great but I just love this side thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Barely a week goes by without someone drawing attention to a bizarrely high bid in a JM or Ebay auction, invariably followed by posters exclaiming their amazement. Thing is, we never hear from the actual buyers - are they too embarrassed to 'fess up? Is there a hardcore of buffoons with too much money to spend, paying over the odds as a matter of course?Are these buyers one-time high rollers, who just really wanted Record X and didn't give toss how much it cost, or do they slope off to lick their wounds once they realise they are the people whom folk on here are laughing at/cursing? Does anyone actualy know a serial high bidder?

Too weird!:)

Social source share

Barely a week goes by without someone drawing attention to a bizarrely high bid in a JM or Ebay auction, invariably followed by posters exclaiming their amazement. Thing is, we never hear from the actual buyers - are they too embarrassed to 'fess up? Is there a hardcore of buffoons with too much money to spend, paying over the odds as a matter of course?Are these buyers one-time high rollers, who just really wanted Record X and didn't give toss how much it cost, or do they slope off to lick their wounds once they realise they are the people whom folk on here are laughing at/cursing? Does anyone actualy know a serial high bidder?

Too weird!:)

I don't think they care because they have so much money that it doesn't matter how much they spend to get a record. A good case is Vala Reegan, £800 one week, £300 a few weeks later. Anyone paying £800 for a record like that obviously has no regard for money whatsoever.

Social source share

Guest John Poole

Records go up and down in value

We can all recall picking records up at cheaper prices at some time or another

This is nothing new and if a record gets a few plays then the value usualy rises

Problem is that when a record goes for a high price then the value seems to be set and those that buy at the higher rate want that price to move it on!

On this particular record all I can say have had the record for years and hope it goes even higher (investments much better than the bank will give on cash)

Ipaid $2

Social source share

Plenty of examples on auctions, not just JM, of too many with either too much money or no sense...or both. It is their money at the end of the day but it does f--k it up for other collectors who want a particular record at a sensible price.

For what its worth Chalky ..a nice fella on here let me have his nm copy of Patty Stokes for about £110 a few month back, apart from Pete Smiths copy i hadnt seen one for a while :lol:

Obviously "good girl" side was a spin from many moonS ago ,but the crossover flip side became a big "crossover " hit over the last 5 or so yrs and has probably caused the record to become sought after and inturn hard to find of late.

I honestly think the " good girl " side is very appealing at the moment so not necessarily a stupid price item imho.

Not everyone who buys records is a member on here ,nor do they like ebay ,and JM, wether we like his prices or not ,has reputation for selling records in nice condition and therefore people come to him time and time again and are willing to pay more than "average Joe " to get a record they desire.

Lots of different factions when it comes to buying records ...being clued up on price... having good contacts,going to soul nights to look through boxes etc ,etc

My guess is these people who pay the top price for records that arent necessarily dog rare ......dont fall into any of the categories above :lol:

P.s

for what its worth ,i was chasing a big want and needed funds so Patty Stokes went on ebay and is now in Japan for a little bit more than i paid for it :)

Social source share

Guest Lobster Madras

is there any connection with this artist and judy stokes ?

The Judy Stokes record is a tough one to find, wonder what that would make on JM's auction ??ohmy.gif

Social source share

In answer to the original question - no it's not worth £300 ... it's worth £679 apparently.

Pete ..you really must stop throwing your money around :lol:

Expect a glut of copies on ebay and in sales ...anytime soon :lol:

P.s ...never saw any info or debate on here previous so forgive me if its already been discussed....

....................................JADES-LUCKY FELLOW :hatsoff2:

Edited by NEV
Social source share

Hi Nev, fortunately (as it turns out) I bought mine 3 or 4 years ago when I believed I was 'over-paying' at £150. Had wanted it for a while but never saw a copy for sale until then, so went for it.

Love the record, but have never got round to playing Good Girl in a spot. Guess I won't have to now - everybody else will be on it as it's clearly the in-thing.

Shame you sold yours mate, but like you said, sometimes you need to move on in order to go for a bigger want.

... and Mr. Madras ... how are you doing Russ? Long time no hear - think we must be overdue for a catch-up. Hope all is well.

Social source share

Guest audiavant

Went for £1036.00 I think(not 100 per cent sure).I was well surprised at the time-but I suppose I shouldn`t be,given the fluctuations in buying.

This in response to Nev`s question about The Jades on Mode

Edited by audiavant
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Does this mean I have to publicly thank Peter Richer for putting me on to it - guess I just have then!

Searched for only a few weeks after getting to hear it at yours Peter and although not the best nick it was £80 well spent.

Never seen one since till JM auction so if in great nick then not surprised it went high but hell not that high?

Having gone mad on JM just Xmas gone for a trophy piece of vinyl, (though got it for well less than I would have paid in the end) I guess we need to equate rarity with condition and of course - how bloody desperate to have it right now rather than search for however long it may take.

On another note re daft price on JM just last year - Bobby Paris - I Walked Away - Capitol Demo

Went to 400 a few days before the end and as you may have guessed - no more bids

Mad - condition must have been double Mint eh !!!

Social source share

Does this mean I have to publicly thank Peter Richer for putting me on to it - guess I just have then!

Searched for only a few weeks after getting to hear it at yours Peter and although not the best nick it was £80 well spent.

Never seen one since till JM auction so if in great nick then not surprised it went high but hell not that high?

Having gone mad on JM just Xmas gone for a trophy piece of vinyl, (though got it for well less than I would have paid in the end) I guess we need to equate rarity with condition and of course - how bloody desperate to have it right now rather than search for however long it may take.

On another note re daft price on JM just last year - Bobby Paris - I Walked Away - Capitol Demo

Went to 400 a few days before the end and as you may have guessed - no more bids

Mad - condition must have been double Mint eh !!!

You're very welcome ... glad you found one mate, I always like records of that quality to go to a good home! You're right, it doesn't come up for sale very often, and best to pick up those little gems while they're still 'off the radar' (my expression, which John likes to use a fair bit on his auction items these days, nice one!).

Incidentally, that Bobby Paris was mine - I was surprised at the price too, and yes, it was in blinding condition.

Cheers, Peter

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!