• Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Awake 502

Usually disapointed by the auction and the records chosen

John is currently auctioning, Combinations, George Hobson, Yvonne Vernee, Tommy Ridgley..

How disappointing a selection is that ? thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

John is currently auctioning, Combinations, George Hobson, Yvonne Vernee, Tommy Ridgley..

How disappointing a selection is that ? thumbsup.gif

George Hobson is a class record, the others are neither here nor there just standard in my very humble opinion

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

George Hobson is a class record, the others are neither here nor there just standard in my very humble opinion

Well I must admit I did sell Yvonne Vernee many years ago to Mr Fortnum and kept George Hobson. :yes:

post-1832-1128285297_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Got to agree with Mr. Bergman, first heard it via Martin Koppell in ,86, took me several years to find one, wouldn't part with it for Y. Vernee (ok, I might :yes: )

Good evening Mr Smith, glad to see you are out there lurking still, can I make sure I understand what you are saying, you agree Goerge Hobson is class (absolutely without question, one of the finest records, Dave Withers first I would suggest) but are you also agreeing that Yvonne Vernee is just average - if I am understanding you then you are no longer the man I thought!! Not only would Pete L throw you out his stamping class for such a blasphemous statement he would stamp all over you.

In case anyone not understanding me, I am suggesting Yvonne Vernee Just Like You Did Me is not only a fine NS record, its one of the finest, and although that is only my opinion, its unquestionable :D:D and that Tony is losing his credibility for not agreeing!!

I finally give in

Jock

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Goerge Hobson is class (absolutely without question, one of the finest records, Dave Withers first I would suggest)

Poke used to play this at Cleethorpes late 70's but never really took off, maybe just too rare at the time ?

Social source share

Good evening Mr Smith, glad to see you are out there lurking still, can I make sure I understand what you are saying, you agree Goerge Hobson is class (absolutely without question, one of the finest records, Dave Withers first I would suggest) but are you also agreeing that Yvonne Vernee is just average - if I am understanding you then you are no longer the man I thought!! Not only would Pete L throw you out his stamping class for such a blasphemous statement he would stamp all over you.

In case anyone not understanding me, I am suggesting Yvonne Vernee Just Like You Did Me is not only a fine NS record, its one of the finest, and although that is only my opinion, its unquestionable :D:yes: and that Tony is losing his credibility for not agreeing!!

I finally give in

Jock

Gotta agree Jock mate :D George Hobson without doubt a great record but records like Yvonne Vernee & Combinations is what you got into Northern Soul for!!!! Tommy Ridgely is one of the finest mid tempo records your ever likely to hear...ok I'm a bit biased with that one :D

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

In case anyone not understanding me, I am suggesting Yvonne Vernee Just Like You Did Me is not only a fine NS record, its one of the finest, and although that is only my opinion, its unquestionable :yes::D and that Tony is losing his credibility for not agreeing!!

I finally give in

Jock

So am I to deduce that Iam a heathen for not falling to my knees in front of Yvonne Vernee ???

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

In case anyone not understanding me, I am suggesting Yvonne Vernee Just Like You Did Me is not only a fine NS record, its one of the finest, and although that is only my opinion, its unquestionable :yes::D and that Tony is losing his credibility for not agreeing!!

I finally give in

Jock

Morning Jock,

I only agreed with Richards assessment of the Exits 45, and would only part with it for a record of the quality of Yvonne Vernee (unlikely, I know), apologies for the ensuing confusion, I will be donning a hair shirt for the rest of October, and flagellating myself with a used copy of Manifesto.

Social source share

Morning Jock,

I only agreed with Richards assessment of the Exits 45, and would only part with it for a record of the quality of Yvonne Vernee (unlikely, I know), apologies for the ensuing confusion, I will be donning a hair shirt for the rest of October, and flagellating myself with a used copy of Manifesto.

So you are not even agreeing that George Hobson is great, think hair underwear is also called for!!

Social source share

So am I to deduce that Iam a heathen for not falling to my knees in front of Yvonne Vernee ???

Emmmm - :yes: my post was meant as a jocular jibe at Mr Smith not expressing himself very well, woudnt normally dream to comment on others taste anymore, however since you ask I have to be honest and say yes that is my opinion, only my opinion, not necessarily right and one that I would normally have whispered to myself like the grumpy old git that I am and forgotten about it, like old people do.

Obviously you have reasonably good taste as you like George Hobson, one of my own favorites.

Yours very tounge in cheek

Jock

Social source share

I wouldn't pay 10 pence for that George Hobson shite. Awful record, nearly as bad as George lemons. As for The Exits...zzzzzzzzzzzzzz...Yvonne Vernee never did it for me and is just an average Northern dancer.

You miserable fecker.

Keep up the good work, you're making me look like Mr Jolly.

Social source share

I wouldn't pay 10 pence for that George Hobson shite. Awful record, nearly as bad as George lemons. As for The Exits...zzzzzzzzzzzzzz...Yvonne Vernee never did it for me and is just an average Northern dancer.

Given the taste you have exhibited so far that counts as resounding proof that these are all in fact great records (except George Lemons, somebody must have told you that was a bad record)

Social source share

Given the taste you have exhibited so far that counts as resounding proof that these are all in fact great records (except George Lemons, somebody must have told you that was a bad record)

Oh I see, so everyone can have an opinion on records unless it disagrees with yours, in which case it is irrelevant. Because I don't like a record, that means it's actualyl a great record. For the record, I think it's your taste that is shocking, but I wouldn't actually bother taking that as far as a posting on a chat site.

No wonder half of you lot get laughed at

You miserable fecker.

Sorry, what am I missing here, I say I don't like a record and I'm a miserable 'fecker', why's that then? I don't like peas either, does that make me miserable?

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

Guest Stuart T

What, the psychopath played by Peter Cook in the Comic Strip Presents Mr Jolly Lives Next Door? Have you got a nice private workshop up East?

I wonder did he like peas or dislike them? Are peas good or bad? I think we ought to have a poll, "Is there a place for peas on the northern soul scene in 2005"? Anyone one who says no is being vegetabilist and should be kicked off SS. Some of my best friends are peas.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I wouldnt give a pea for Pete's opinions on some great records.

:yes:

I don't give a mangel worzel for that Rufus Lumley. He looks like he wouldn't eat his greens.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I think you'll find I've already aired my grievances against peas in the freebasing section about 2 months ago, they know how I feel about them.

I was merely attempting to ascertain whether your peaism reflects commonly held views amongst the members of this site or whether you are indeed a miserable fecker, as has been alleged. Personally I don't mind peas as long as they are not used inappropriately (in particular, in pasties or other pastry enclosed products, or ice cream).

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Does anyone have a decent MP3 of George Hobson they could post up?

the one on SCJ seems speeded up, and is poor quality. cheers :yes:

Social source share

Guest Tom Walsh

Well I must admit I did sell Yvonne Vernee many years ago to Mr Fortnum and kept George Hobson. :yes:

Out of interest I now own the said copy of Yvonne Vernee that once belonged to Mr Fortnum via Wayne Sharman!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D

Tom

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I was merely attempting to ascertain whether your peaism reflects commonly held views amongst the members of this site or whether you are indeed a miserable fecker, as has been alleged. Personally I don't mind peas as long as they are not used inappropriately (in particular, in pasties or other pastry enclosed products, or ice cream).

I'm rather partial to a few nice peas in my veggie Samosas.

And for a weedie white boy like Rufus to have such a deep and wonderful voice like that, I assume he eats fire and razor blades or something. Thats more of a Devon thing. The Mangle Wurzel, probably a touch Somerset.

Social source share

Oh I see, so everyone can have an opinion on records unless it disagrees with yours, in which case it is irrelevant. Because I don't like a record, that means it's actualyl a great record.

No everyone else can have an opinion, I am often wrong so enjoy listening to other peoples opinion, particularly about music as its great to learn about new things and sometimes realise its me thats wrong, unless its you and I just discount your opinion.

And normally yes to your second question

Social source share

try www.soulclub.org under G

The one on soulclub is speeded up a lot, it is way faster than it should be. I include an MP3 recorded from my copy, it is recorded at the correct speed. It is a great record, great production, especially the horns, and a good soulful vocal. I still think it would have been better without the girlie backing vocals, but you can't get everything I guess. Yvonne Vernee is great classic NS. The Exits is pretty boring IMO.

By the way, I was informed somewhere that George Hobson was played by Pat Brady at Wigan in 1978. :D

Edited by Guest
Social source share

The one on soulclub is speeded up a lot, it is way faster than it should be. I include an MP3 recorded from my copy, it is recorded at the correct speed. It is a great record, great production, especially the horns, and a good soulful vocal. I still think it would have been better without the girlie backing vocals, but you can't get everything I guess. Yvonne Vernee is great classic NS. The Exits is pretty boring IMO.

By the way, I was informed somewhere that George Hobson was played by Pat Brady at Wigan in 1978. :D

I'm not surprised about Jock but am surprised that people with a bit of taste, and they are few and far between, even consider this record to be anything more than forgettable B side fodder. And absolute turd of a record. Bring back Tim Tam and James Coit, all is forgiven.

Social source share

I'm not surprised about Jock but am surprised that people with a bit of taste, and they are few and far between, even consider this record to be anything more than forgettable B side fodder. And absolute turd of a record. Bring back Tim Tam and James Coit, all is forgiven.

We can't all be flawless like you Pete. :D If you don't like this side, then you should hear the "B" side, a pretty poor slow number. The 1978 Pat Brady bit is not my invention, just something I read somewhere, possibly on this site.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

gotta say .... though it's the first time i've heard the george hobson i don't intend on listening again ... i can see why it's popular though as it seems to have a very "now" sound .... and people can take that anyway they like

but then i'm well known for not having any taste haha

Davie

Social source share

John obviously pays attention to the site... note the introduction on this weeks first auction item:

"Innersection - I'm In Debt To You c/w Let Me Love You - Group 5 demo

We sincerely apologise for our previuously disappointing selection of "neither here nor there" rare soul vinyl offered within on these pages. I hope this top-drawer highly sought after Northern Soul 70s double sider, satisfies those of you with impeccable taste. "

WOOF!

Social source share

John obviously pays attention to the site... note the introduction on this weeks first auction item:

"Innersection - I'm In Debt To You c/w Let Me Love You - Group 5 demo

We sincerely apologise for our previuously disappointing selection of "neither here nor there" rare soul vinyl offered within on these pages. I hope this top-drawer highly sought after Northern Soul 70s double sider, satisfies those of you with impeccable taste. "

WOOF! ¢Å¾¢

Noticed that also on another discription........

Reports over the weekend seems to indicate that The Masqueraders at Northampton were absolutely sensational: so we thought this Monday morning we would should present you with their finest and hardest to acquire recording. Vinyl is superb, label has a smidge of water contact discolouration: see scan. Overall a very fine example.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!