Whatever Happened To Stomping?

Guest Matt Male

Guest Matt Male

This was promted by a comment on another thread.

At one time there were definate records designated for stomping (stompers) but these days most people dance normally to them, even stuff like Ton of Dynamite. I seem to remember stomping suddenly went out of fashion not long after Wigan closed, although you do still see some people doing it.

funny that.. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

• Replies 39
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

This was promted by a comment on another thread.

At one time there were definate records designated for stomping (stompers) but these days most people dance normally to them, even stuff like Ton of Dynamite. I seem to remember stomping suddenly went out of fashion not long after Wigan closed, although you do still see some people doing it.

funny that.. thumbsup.gif

=================

thumbsup.gif Well i can't bloody do it, i've tried and i've tried, i have sat and watched and hissed at those who can, there are still some stompers fans around tho and bloody spiffing they are too.Del xxx

Social source share

Guest Billy Anorak
Stompin` & shufflin`are they the same,if so never done it before in me life.... thumbsup.gif
Kenny if you stomped the dance floor would give way and end up 6 feet lower!!!!
Social source share

I'm not sure what 'stomping' actually is as I've only just got into the scene, can someone explain?

Hi Charlie

Regret can't explain what stomping is in word format, but can advise (Ken) that stomping & shuffling are a million miles apart. Stomping went out went out with ark, cos it was just basic & didn't evolve.

Shuffling, now thats a different matter. Very few people can do it properly but when they do, its a joy to watch.

Col.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I'm not sure what 'stomping' actually is as I've only just got into the scene, can someone explain?

Hmm i'll have a go...

Basically you stay in one spot, lifting your knees and flicking out your feet to the sides to the beat while every now and again doing a kind of Alli shuffle very fast.

Best done to:

Almost any uptempo instrumental

The Champion

Cochese

Ton of Dynamite

The Bottle

etc...

(hence probably why it's not done anymore)

The last time i did it was Brum Locarno about 1980 i think. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

In my prime,late eightys could shuffle(stomp) most folk of the park no probbs`,the good shufflers could shuffle to anything and make it look cool,more downbeat the better.....ex thumbsup.gif of the shufflers.

Social source share

In my prime,late eightys could shuffle(stomp) most folk of the park no probbs`,the good shufflers could shuffle to anything and make it look cool,more downbeat the better.....ex thumbsup.gif of the shufflers.

I used to get mixed up by the term Stompers, 'cos whenever anyone talked about 60's stompers they were n't what I thought of as stompers. I used to like stomping (or is it shuffling??) to stuff like:

The bottle

SOS - Todays people

Creative source

Dutch Robinson

Captain of my ship

Ton of Dynamite

Edwin Starr - Time

Chuck Jackson - I got the need

Rimshots - Do what you feel

There were quite a lot of others that I will have to charge up the brain cells to remember, usually funkier 70's things.

Jordi

Social source share

Guest Trevski

In my book 'stompers' are 100mph pure northern tunes, danced to with fast footwork.

'shufflers' are more modern tunes with a distinct shuffling style dance that I think is what Ken is refering to.

Ton of dynamite etc, definate shufflers. thumbsup.gif Shuffling v difficult. I can manage it (just) but far too knackering these days, just make about 1/4 of a record so don't bother! Evolved from cleethorpes, when they played the more modern style of tune. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

In my book 'stompers' are 100mph pure northern tunes, danced to with fast footwork.

'shufflers' are more modern tunes with a distinct shuffling style dance that I think is what Ken is refering to.

Ton of dynamite etc, definate shufflers. thumbsup.gif Shuffling v difficult. I can manage it (just) but far too knackering these days, just make about 1/4 of a record so don't bother! Evolved from cleethorpes, when they played the more modern style of tune. :lol:

I was shufflin` an a stompin` well before i went to cleggy,just cleethorpes played more shufflin` and a stompin` stuff....... thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I associate the word 'stomper' with the typical 100mph torch era stuff. shuffling with blackpool mecca & cleethorpes circa 1975, when they used to play esther phillips 'what a difference a day makes', it was more like stamping with that record. then there was that ridiculous hop, skip, jump thing, popular at the time of lloyd michaels 'the flasher', in fact I think it came out of that record alone. then there was that very spectacular variant on 'shuffling' called 'scatting', which is a jazz term really. another cleethorpes 'manifestation' if I'm not wrong...

macca

Social source share

What didnt evolove from Cleethorpes :good:

As far as soul is concerned it is the center of the universe, It has a heratage second to none streching back long before the pier :huh:

Wher else did you hear moden and 6ts soul played alongside each other during the 70s, :huh:

but then I am a bit biased :lol:

Must admmit to not reliseing we had our own dance as well :ohmy:

Social source share

As far as soul is concerned it is the center of the universe, It has a heratage second to none streching back long before the pier :huh:

Wher else did you hear moden and 6ts soul played alongside each other during the 70s, :huh:

but then I am a bit biased :lol:

Must admmit to not reliseing we had our own dance as well :ohmy:

So what you're really saying is......Cleethorpes was a bit like Yate.

Col.

Edited by Soulsmith
Social source share

Whats the ultimate stomper? Think I've narrowed it down to 2

Either

I've got something good - Sam & Kitty

or

Younghearts - A Little Togetherness

Scratchy - Travis Wammack , you should have seen the stompers in the 70's dance to this one. In general i believe that the quality of dancing has gone down hill since the 70's , not just stomping. I see people do this lazy kinda stomping at different events i been to recently and isnt a scratch on how it used to be.People used to dance with more style and moves were more perfected it was like clinical, even floorwork i see today is nothing like it used to be, i can remember watching a guy all them years ago on the floor going in circles kicking his legs about, swapping his hands on the floor left to right at the same time smoking a cigerette swapping it from his left to right hand, was unreal to watch, then he would work his legs up into a handstand and swallow dive into a backflip and stuff.

Thing is everyone is a little older now and we cant do it anymore, i used to always do floorwork and handstands, im a bit too big for that now though lol, and the younger ones i see trying to do it dont quite have the finess as they have no refference, they never saw how it was back then so can only guess. I dont see the scene having a great emthesis on dancing as it used to have coz of the age group, we are not teenagers anymore and from what i can see, no one has anything to prove on the dancefloor anymore as we all done it years ago.

Social source share

So what you're really saying is......Cleethorpes was a bit like Yate.

Col.

No Yate was nothing like Cleethorpes , Good , but not as good :huh:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Either

or

I think you mean The Jewels - We got togetherness. :huh:

The younghearts is way too slow.

Ton of Dynamite - Frankie Crocker does it for me :ohmy:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Although I've def got Frankie Crocker down as a shuffler not a stomper!

Col.

I think you might be right, it's a fine line between the two. Although a few Stokes back i saw some people doing frantic stomping to Frankie Crocker.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

what category would you put roscoe shelton 'running for my life' in?

certainly stomps...

macca

Yeah just about fast enough, only just though.

Although i reckon it'd be easier to dance normally to it.

Social source share

I can remember one night at wigan watching a bunch of very manic geezers, near the stage, 'giving it some' to the guys from uncle 'the spy'. all those feet lashing out aggressively in all directions, pretty dangerous to be up close... I never saw the gals do it. must've been a macho thing...

macca

Social source share

Wher else did you hear moden and 6ts soul played alongside each other during the 70s, :lol:

but then I am a bit biased :yes:

Must admmit to not reliseing we had our own dance as well :shhh:

Good post... you ain't biased at all! :huh:

Just playin Burning Spear... wait until the right wing element arrive :lol:

Either

or

Put a bit more effort in Col :graynone:

I think you mean The Jewels - We got togetherness. :yes:

The younghearts is way too slow.

Ton of Dynamite - Frankie Crocker does it for me :lol:

Why has nobody mentioned The Champion? :ohmy:

Social source share

Either

or

How about

Stompers

The World Colum - So is the sun

Jerry Fuller - Double life

Ron Holden - Forgive & Forget

One you can do both to

Micky Moonshine - Name it baby

Shufflers

Silveti - Spring Rain

Elowise laws - Love factory

James Fountain Seven day lover

Nothing No one allready knows just Records that just about sum up Stompers & Shuflers

Social source share

Good post... you ain't biased at all! :huh:

Just playin Burning Spear... wait until the right wing element arrive :ohmy:

Think there all ready hear

Social source share

How about

Stompers

The World Colum - So is the sun

Jerry Fuller - Double life

Ron Holden - Forgive & Forget

One you can do both to

Micky Moonshine - Name it baby

Shufflers

Silveti - Spring Rain

Elowise laws - Love factory

James Fountain Seven day lover

Nothing No one allready knows just Records that just about sum up Stompers & Shuflers

:huh:

Here's a stomper :ohmy:

An instrumental as well... I'm really in for it now :huh:

Social source share

I am no longer referring to them as the Soul Police.

From now on they are known as 'The Enemy Within'

I've had a look at the names at the foot of the page Col, and none of them seem to be logged in...but you can never be sure!! We should enlist the help of George Smiley :huh:

Social source share

I've had a look at the names at the foot of the page Col, and none of them seem to be logged in...but you can never be sure!! We should enlist the help of George Smiley :huh:

It's not the guests you have to worry about it's those Anons that are the spooky ones :huh: Really put the heebie geebies up me :lol:

And to keep on thread, I'm too old to stomp, going to be a grandma soon :ohmy:

QoF xx

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!