"working Week"

• Replies 37
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Matt Male

Whatever happened to this UK soul duo "Working Week" (Ben Watt & Tracy Thorn) ?

Ben Watt and Tracy Thorn were 'Everything but the girl', 'Working Week' were a different band and were Juliet Roberts, Simon Booth and Larry Stabbins.

Don't know what they've done recently, EBTG that is, they went a bit techno/dance in the 90s. I preferred their early jazz/blues stuff.

Social source share

Ben Watt and Tracy Thorn were 'Everything but the girl', 'Working Week' were a different band and were Juliet Roberts, Simon Booth and Larry Stabbins.

Don't know what they've done recently, EBTG that is, they went a bit techno/dance in the 90s. I preferred their early jazz/blues stuff.

Ben Watt is now a well respected jazzy-house dj who runs a label called "Buzzin' Fly" , don't know what Tracey Thorn is up to though.

Derek

Social source share

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest woolie mark

tracy thorn was in a threesome called marine girls before EBTG - they did some great stuff too

working week did some blinding latin stuff

i've got some early EBTG and working week stuff to sell if anyone is interested

Social source share

Guest HiTtHeBoNgO

i bought an album by pre working week they was called weekend fantastic album , i was 12 at the time and felt mighty sophisticated when all my mates were listening to madness

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

tracy thorn was in a threesome called marine girls before EBTG - they did some great stuff too

working week did some blinding latin stuff

i've got some early EBTG and working week stuff to sell if anyone is interested

I've got that Marine Girls album :rolleyes:

Tracy also did a solo album 'A Distant Shore' and Ben did a solo one too 'North Marine Drive' before they formed Everything but the girl.

Their best album together is easily 'Eden' IMO.

Nice to see someone else appreciates early EBTG stuff :thumbsup:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

I've got that Marine Girls album :thumbsup:

Tracy also did a solo album 'A Distant Shore' and Ben did a solo one too 'North Marine Drive' before they formed Everything but the girl.

Their best album together is easily 'Eden' IMO.

Nice to see someone else appreciates early EBTG stuff :D

Still play Each And Every One as much as possible wonderful piece of Music :yes:

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

i checked out some of this stuff last night

first EBTG single was a cover of night and day

the earliest weekend record i found was the view from her room which is a melancholy indie thing that turns into a storming latin "jazz dance" tune half way through (on the 12")

btw, does anyone remember the venceremos single with tracy thorn singing on? wasn't that working week?

the missing link!!!!!

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

i remember Y Venceremos but did'nt know Tracey Thorn was on vocals, thought I still had it somewhere but can't find it.

Remember Weekend aswell, on Rough Trade. At that time there were Weekend, The Gist and Young Marble Giants used to swap personnel quite a bit, I think Stuart Moxham (or similar name) was behind a lot of it. The Gist-Love at First Sight was always a favourite.

Am I still on soul source here?

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

btw, does anyone remember the venceremos single with tracy thorn singing on? wasn't that working week?

the missing link!!!!!

I have that somewhere but don't remember the TT connection though.

Good call on the YMG Neil i used to dig on their stuff back in the day their first album was suberb at the time if i recall correctly, don't tell anyone but i used to really love "Eyeless in Gaza" as well at the time

:thumbsup::ohmy:

Social source share

but i used to really love "Eyeless in Gaza" as well at the time

:rolleyes::wicked:

Ah Johnners

From "Eyeless in Gaza " to legless at the Orwell what a journey you have travelled mate. :D

Derek (been legless at most places meself) :D

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

The certainly did...On My Mind...Lazy Days or was it Ways...and the Tracy Thorn solo album was great too

Pete do you still have any Marine Girls tackle - I have a tape but it's totally knackered. Wouldn't mind a copy of the Plain Sailing LP either , I lost mine.

Ali (on Johns ID)

Edited by Johnny One Trout
Social source share

I think I do mate but it will be very very hard to find, I've certainly not got the vinyl anymore apart from 2 singles. I don't suppose you are interested but at about 2.30 I am broadcasting something a bit different on that pirate station, instead of ska and soul I'm just playing some of my favourite records from the 70's and 80's so at the latter end of the show there's the likes of..

the aformentioned Plain Sailing

theatre of hate

wild swans

ruts

wah heat

smiths

plus more chart friendly things like cruel to be kind, johnny and mary, tiny children etc...

just thought it'd make a change

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

Pete do you still have any Marine Girls tackle - I have a tape but it's totally knackered. Wouldn't mind a copy of the Plain Sailing LP either , I lost mine.

Ali (on Johns ID)

there was a video too - think it was called pillows and prayers?

might still have some of this stuff in my garage in cornwall, if the ex-wife hasn't figured out it's worth anything :lol:

Social source share

Ben Watt is now a well respected jazzy-house dj who runs a label called "Buzzin' Fly" , don't know what Tracey Thorn is up to though.

Derek

Tracey Thorn did some vocals for Massive Attack on their album protection, not bad stuff. Interesting voice I always thought.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

The certainly did...On My Mind...Lazy Days or was it Ways...and the Tracy Thorn solo album was great too

Yeah still got some Marine girls and the TT solo album somewhere .....

Ali (on Johns ID)

I have them somewhere chuck :lol:

but i used to really love "Eyeless in Gaza" as well at the time

:lol::lol:

Ah Johnners

From "Eyeless in Gaza " to legless at the Orwell what a journey you have travelled mate. :D

Derek (been legless at most places meself) :D

LOL true enough DJ I was particularly fond of the Gregorian Chant based stuff :D:yes::D:D:D

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I think I do mate but it will be very very hard to find, I've certainly not got the vinyl anymore apart from 2 singles. I don't suppose you are interested but at about 2.30 I am broadcasting something a bit different on that pirate station, instead of ska and soul I'm just playing some of my favourite records from the 70's and 80's so at the latter end of the show there's the likes of..

theatre of hate

wild swans

ruts

wah heat

smiths

plus more chart friendly things like cruel to be kind, johnny and mary, tiny children etc...

Ohh can i request "7 minutes to midnight" and "Nero" thankyou very glad

Social source share

theatre of hate

wild swans

ruts

wah heat

smiths

2.30 this afternoon ? I was at work :lol: Did you play my favourite Tod Rundgren ? :lol:

Social source share

theatre of hate

wild swans

ruts

wah heat

smiths

Pete

All during the Summer when England were beating the Aussies I was waiting for Bringing Home The Ashes by The Wild Swans to be played over the highlights.....never happened though.

Someone else mentioned Pillows and Prayers, this was a Cherry Red records compilation lp with pay no more than £1.99 sticker on it featuring Eyeless In Gaza, Tracey Thorn, Ben Watt, Marine Girls, Felt, The Passage plus others, was also a video aswell I think.

OK listening for a change now and again, some of it doesnt stand up too well to the passing of time but that goes for a lot of stuff ey!

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

At that time there were Weekend, The Gist and Young Marble Giants used to swap personnel quite a bit, I think Stuart Moxham (or similar name) was behind a lot of it. The Gist-Love at First Sight was always a favourite.

Am I still on soul source here?

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Anyone remember Girls At Our Best?

Blimey, Girls at our Best! I used to have a 45, 'going for gold' think it was called.

Was that the one with the sleeve with the different eyeshadows, (or the one with the cheerleaders, or the woman at the men's urinal? Oh dear, it all just comes flooding back...........) I had 'Going for Gold' and 'Getting Nowhere Fast'.

Ooh, just remembered another fave- Fire Engines' "Candy skin" anyone??? Time I went to bed I think......

Social source share

Was that the one with the sleeve with the different eyeshadows, (or the one with the cheerleaders, or the woman at the men's urinal? Oh dear, it all just comes flooding back...........) I had 'Going for Gold' and 'Getting Nowhere Fast'.

Ooh, just remembered another fave- Fire Engines' "Candy skin" anyone??? Time I went to bed I think......

memory not good enough to remember the sleeve, think it looked a bit like fruit machine?

"Candy Skin", all time great, bought a copy a year or two ago with a poster sleeve about £4. Fire Engines recently reformed and played a one off with Franz Ferdinand in London, FF covered "get up and use me" on a 45.Buy a few of these 45's from my young days when I see them cheap, just put 'em on the shelf usually.

Social source share

memory not good enough to remember the sleeve, think it looked a bit like fruit machine?

"Candy Skin", all time great, bought a copy a year or two ago with a poster sleeve about £4. Fire Engines recently reformed and played a one off with Franz Ferdinand in London, FF covered "get up and use me" on a 45.Buy a few of these 45's from my young days when I see them cheap, just put 'em on the shelf usually.

I've still got Candy Skin, I don't like it now though...and their mini album, Lubricate Your Living Room, was awful. Anyone who remembers these days with affection should check out a book called Rip It Up And Start Again by Simon...sorry, forgot...well it's a brilliant look at the post punk years, very detailed and a real memory jerker.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Soul Trivia - I sold this to Rod Dearlove :D who would have thought it :yes: along with a shed load of other punk and Indie 45's from that period......admittedly it was for his son but...........................

I've still got Candy Skin, I don't like it now though...and their mini album, Lubricate Your Living Room, was awful. Anyone who remembers these days with affection should check out a book called Rip It Up And Start Again by Simon...sorry, forgot...well it's a brilliant look at the post punk years, very detailed and a real memory jerker.

LOL you are not wrong Pete i had that LP as well

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Anyone remember Girls At Our Best?

Blimey, Girls at our Best! I used to have a 45, 'going for gold' think it was called.

Bloody hell this thread has got me digging into my old LP collection several tines. I've got a Cherry Red compilation LP from 1987 with Girls at our Best - 'Fast Boyfriends' on it and The Marine Girls - 'Don't Come Back' on the same label. :yes:

and a Peel Sessions EP of Girls at our best with 'China Blue' 'This Train' and 'Getting Beautiful Warm Gold Fast From Nowhere' on it - Strangefruit 1981

good memories pre-mortgage etc...

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Dedicate some Dead Kennedys to Simon Bridger :D Could I have some Associates - Gloomy Monday would do :D Jo

theatre of hate

wild swans

ruts

wah heat

smiths

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

seeings as this thread seems to have descended to discussing crap 80's pop bands.....................did anyone except me used to like the higsons?

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

I don't wanna live with monkeys.

or end up as the only one on the fast show who isn't funny?

wot about rip rig and panic - saw them play with don cherry, one of the best shows i've ever bin to :shades:

Social source share

or end up as the only one on the fast show who isn't funny?

wot about rip rig and panic - saw them play with don cherry, one of the best shows i've ever bin to :shades:

Didn't like them...too raggedy sounding...you know that awful jazzy sax...though that single was quite good, Youre My Kinda Climate..

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

Didn't like them...too raggedy sounding...you know that awful jazzy sax...though that single was quite good, Youre My Kinda Climate..

best thing neneh cherry ever did

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!