• Replies 28
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

god knows why.

It was first released in 1970 or so I've googled,

As Ian D has stated first played by Mr Searling and I think he had an ear for a tune or two,

Many people may regard this record as a Pop tune,But did it not fit in with many other dance records played at Wigan and many other Northern Soul venues at that time circa 76,

It's easy nowadays to poke fun at records like the one in question,There were a lot worse than "God Knows",

To numerous to mention in fact,But you can't take away the quality of the vocals,A few people have had a gripe about his Motown covers album and maybe rightly so in some cases,

Mike McDonald has IMO one of the best voices of any singer,You can not forget his vocal on James Ingrams "Ya Mo Be There" or even his later songs such as "Sweet Freedom"

The last two songs are pure quality,Not Northern Soul I grant you,But soulful IMO.

Grant

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Richard Searling circa '76 I believe......

Ian D :thumbsup:

Um .........................77/78 Richard received better acknowledgment of championing this record , I recall Ian. Did not RS release this on his own Grapevine label 78/79ish. Seem to recall a small stomper element at the Keighley ROAB -Buffs club dragging there young soul's around to this about then. Was also played at the Stars and Stripes alongside Frank Dell, Len Gamble, Sam Williams etc.

Nick H :hatsoff2: .

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Would like to know please at what venue and by which Dj and around about what year this record was first played at a Northern Soul night

Many thanks

Grant

So thats Yate and Station Road, sure was one for the young stomplet's to cut there teeth on -back then Grant.:hatsoff2: .

Social source share

So thats Yate and Station Road, sure was one for the young stomplet's to cut there teeth on -back then Grant.:hatsoff2: .

I had never heard it til around about 79 - 80 ish,

I was Dj-ing a teen night at Rebeccas nightclub in Bury and some young lad gave it me to play,I thought then and still do now that it's an ok tune,It was put out as the flip side of "Interplay" on RCA at the time,

The reason for my original question on this thread is that I have been asked to play it on the internet Northern Soul show that I host,

I just wanted a little bit more info on it instead of saying "That was by Blah Blah" if you know what I mean

Have a listen if you like each and every Sunday 15.00 - 17.00 UK time

www.funkysentialradio.co.uk

Many thanks to everyone for your help and input on this subject

Grant

Edited by grantdyche
Social source share

Um .........................77/78 Richard received better acknowledgment of championing this record , I recall Ian. Did not RS release this on his own Grapevine label 78/79ish. Seem to recall a small stomper element at the Keighley ROAB -Buffs club dragging there young soul's around to this about then. Was also played at the Stars and Stripes alongside Frank Dell, Len Gamble, Sam Williams etc.

Nick H :hatsoff2: .

This never came out on Grapevine, it came out on RCA - and to be honest, it was Russ who used to thrash it, much more than Richard.

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Have a listen if you like each and every Sunday 15.00 - 17.00 UK time

www.funkysentialradio.co.uk

Many thanks to everyone for your help and input on this subject

Grant

That's fine Grant. I always remember one poster on here asking "what about a total blue eyed soul nite" and" what would you play" type thread. To which Dave Taylor (Davetay) replied - "What's so special about that - Wigan got away with it for years".............yes.gif:thumbsup::hatsoff2: .

Talking of which - I heard a local interview (ITV Calendar News) before christmas of Tony Christie's new CD on Acid Jazz - full on blue eyed 60's northern production style. Sorry if this has been cover on here before..............but well done to all at Acid Jazz.

Cheers.

Social source share

It was first released in 1970 or so I've googled,

As Ian D has stated first played by Mr Searling and I think he had an ear for a tune or two,

Many people may regard this record as a Pop tune,But did it not fit in with many other dance records played at Wigan and many other Northern Soul venues at that time circa 76,

It's easy nowadays to poke fun at records like the one in question,There were a lot worse than "God Knows",

To numerous to mention in fact,But you can't take away the quality of the vocals,A few people have had a gripe about his Motown covers album and maybe rightly so in some cases,

Mike McDonald has IMO one of the best voices of any singer,You can not forget his vocal on James Ingrams "Ya Mo Be There" or even his later songs such as "Sweet Freedom"

The last two songs are pure quality,Not Northern Soul I grant you,But soulful IMO.

Grant

I`m pretty sure thats not the same bloke!....that was Micheal McDonald ex Steely Dan and Doobie Brothers and yes, he has probably the most soulful voice of any white singer.

:no:

Social source share

I`m pretty sure thats not the same bloke!....that was Micheal McDonald ex Steely Dan and Doobie Brothers and yes, he has probably the most soulful voice of any white singer.

I think it is the same guy. Voice sounds about right to me. Rick Jarrard was the producer too and he produced a McDonald 45 on Bell from the early 70s. I forget the title right now

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

I think it is the same guy. Voice sounds about right to me. Rick Jarrard was the producer too and he produced a McDonald 45 on Bell from the early 70s. I forget the title right now

It's deffo McDonald from the Doobies you can not mistake his voice

Have a peek here

https://www.bingonline.nl/mmcdonald/disco/solo/godknows.htm

Edited by grantdyche
Social source share

the doobies michael mcdonald. has a really really distinctive voice.you can tell its him the moment you hear him on the radio.what a fool believes, minute by minute, real love, yah mo be there, takin it to the streets. the mike mcdonald who recorded god knows sounds nothing like to my ears. unless he had a sore throat that day

dave

Social source share

the doobies michael mcdonald. has a really really distinctive voice.you can tell its him the moment you hear him on the radio.what a fool believes, minute by minute, real love, yah mo be there, takin it to the streets. the mike mcdonald who recorded god knows sounds nothing like to my ears. unless he had a sore throat that day

dave

Yep!

Social source share

dave

It's your ears, it sounds exactly like him because it is him!

Social source share

Never liked it and it sounded awful when i heard it out the other week.

Same here, always hated it, always sat down when it came on, and it would always come on in the middle of a great run of records. Quite like the vocals, just don't like the song/music!

Social source share

dave

What A Fool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVZrxilphsE

Minute By Minute

Ya Mo Be There

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HbbM-FG8lQ

God Knows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVmDiTZ40Ng

Same singer all the way

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now